Author Topic: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA  (Read 344089 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA
« Reply #4400 on: May 22, 2017, 07:13:53 am »
Can's worldie against Watford-- turning of the tides, that

You could say the same for Firmino's vs Stoke I reckon. That was the first of those big away wins.

Offline Toshack_Keegan_One_Nil

• Anny Roader
  • Sometimes I fantasise...
« Reply #4401 on: May 22, 2017, 11:29:16 am »
Only twice in our history have we scored more than 78 goals in a 38-game season. 1905-06 and 2013-14.

Then again we once scored 106 goals in a 30-game season, but still an impressive record even just looking at PL era.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4402 on: May 22, 2017, 11:38:03 am »
Only twice in our history have we scored more than 78 goals in a 38-game season. 1905-06 and 2013-14.

Then again we once scored 106 goals in a 30-game season, but still an impressive record even just looking at PL era.

That is interesting and shows what a high scoring season we had. How many did we score in 08/09 do you know as I think we finished top scorers in the League that season.

13/14 was crazy, scored over 100 and I think City might still have scored a couple more. Ancelotti's Chelsea scored over 100 in 09/10 too I think.

Offline Toshack_Keegan_One_Nil

• Anny Roader
  • Sometimes I fantasise...
« Reply #4403 on: May 22, 2017, 11:43:50 am »
That is interesting and shows what a high scoring season we had. How many did we score in 08/09 do you know as I think we finished top scorers in the League that season.

13/14 was crazy, scored over 100 and I think City might still have scored a couple more. Ancelotti's Chelsea scored over 100 in 09/10 too I think.

101 in 13/14 and 77 in 08/09.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #4404 on: May 22, 2017, 12:40:50 pm »
Actually, I've done it with the non-top 6 points per game for the other matches. So this is the genuine prediction if we carry on as we are. We just scrape in 4th.

Hmm.

Nice predictions there Kurt. Just checked my predictions based on grouping the PPG into 4 segments as opposed to the usual 2.
(Here: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=335042.msg15272408#msg15272408)

Got pretty close with most of them apart from Arsenal who went all out for it after my post and won every game bar the derby against Spurs. If you take the data at face value (and that's totally up to the reader/analyser) it shows how they bettered their season long form from that point onwards whilst the rest of the teams kept going as per their season form.

...or that my model is useless  :)

Offline Suedehead

• Smooth operator.......
  • Main Stander
  • Respectful MUFC fan // Long-time lurker
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #4405 on: May 25, 2017, 04:56:53 pm »
First post on the forum after lurking for years. Respectful United fan.

We won't be threatening the top four, no chance. We'll be playing every 3-4 days in April and we will drop points due to fatigue and essentially putting our eggs in the Europa League basket. Remember Liverpool doing similar last season and playing a very weakened side in a 3-1 defeat at Swansea; we will also come-a-cropper by making several changes from game to game - assuming we get past Anderlecht which won't be easy.

Between Liverpool, Arsenal and City for the 3rd and 4th spots in my opinion with Arsenal likely to drop out.

Pretty much turned out this way.