Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3286392 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #16480 on: July 2, 2017, 09:19:11 pm »
I'm pretty sure there are just as many podcasts as during the season??

Based on the idea that the BBC football gossip page is there biggest page, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the gutter show was their most downloaded show....

It's a good laugh, and you can guarantee that Gutman will go on holiday and we will bring in the big names just to piss him off ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #16481 on: July 2, 2017, 09:49:20 pm »
Agreed. I dont mind sponsors but the summer podcasts have been sparse so to add this much sponsor talk is a bit shit imo.

I haven't done a count but I'd imagine that the number of podcasts hasn't changed. However, the variety is possibly lessened as there's no football to talk about.

As for the sponsorship, I think it's pretty low key.

Offline robbohuyton

• Main Stander
  • Any spares lad?
« Reply #16482 on: July 2, 2017, 09:52:46 pm »
Agreed. I dont mind sponsors but the summer podcasts have been sparse so to add this much sponsor talk is a bit shit imo.

52 podcasts in June.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16483 on: July 2, 2017, 10:33:27 pm »
52 podcasts in June.

Short month in fairness.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #16484 on: July 2, 2017, 10:54:27 pm »
Great discussion about safe standing, I agreed with everything Gareth said. Good on TAW for taking the subject on.

Yeah, John, been following TAW's direction on this - particularly their interview with the Celtic guy which was very persuasive - whilst trying to take a view myself, I would maybe like to hear a bit more about why there is still resistance to it other than the Hillsborough narrative which always seems to put the kybosh on this convo in our fair City. Or is that the only reason?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16485 on: July 2, 2017, 10:58:14 pm »

Thats a nonsensical opinion

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16486 on: July 3, 2017, 12:15:26 am »
Yeah, John, been following TAW's direction on this - particularly their interview with the Celtic guy which was very persuasive - whilst trying to take a view myself, I would maybe like to hear a bit more about why there is still resistance to it other than the Hillsborough narrative which always seems to put the kybosh on this convo in our fair City. Or is that the only reason?
There's a ridiculous irony about the entire discussion mate.
The policy of having stewards telling people to sit down doesn't address the issue, it won't be until someone gets really hurt that there'll be a sensible discussion. I was in the MS for the Dortmund game which was mental, but stories from people on the Kop gave me some serious concern. It not just about someone getting hurt flying forward but about the poor fuckers in front who have a 14 stone bloke land on them from behind.

It might be years, it might be weeks, but one day someone will get really hurt and then they'll decide the current arrangements need a review.

Offline robbohuyton

• Main Stander
  • Any spares lad?
« Reply #16487 on: July 3, 2017, 12:21:44 am »

Hi mate, fully understand you raising this, and was something I was aware of (and worried about). It's honestly nigh on impossible to get voices on that don't want safe standing to speak on it though. It's why we didn't do it for a while - we wanted to be fair, balanced and so on. Now though we've taken a stance on it. As I said on the show I've every respect for Margaret - there's no need to reiterate why, we all know. But on this issue her arguments don't stack up. Safe standing has been described as a "backwards step" by the HFSG. Margaret has also said she believes "there is no such thing as safe standing". Those arguments just don't carry weight with what we've seen abroad and now at Celtic. I think Margaret and Trevor Hicks and anyone else at the HFSG who is dead against the idea (and it's not everyone involved) should go to Celtic Park and see it for themselves. The key point is it's making an unsafe situation (standing in seated areas) into a safer one - standing in rail seating areas. The club should have the debate.

Offline Wghennessy

• Embarassing
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16488 on: July 3, 2017, 06:05:15 am »
52 podcasts in June.

If you include the free shows and rider?

Not alot to go at in the summer which is fair i just personally feel theres been alot of "filler", gutter for the sake of gutter etc.

Would love a weekly Ban this filth like.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2017, 06:09:10 am by Wghennessy »

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #16489 on: July 3, 2017, 09:49:49 am »
Great discussion about safe standing, I agreed with everything Gareth said. Good on TAW for taking the subject on.
This.

It's something I really want to see happen so I'm pleased TAW has a view on it's implementation.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16490 on: July 4, 2017, 07:11:00 am »
So mentioning the beer52 thing at the beginning and end is what people were moaning about?

Seems mad

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #16491 on: July 4, 2017, 08:08:37 am »
Hi mate, fully understand you raising this, and was something I was aware of (and worried about). It's honestly nigh on impossible to get voices on that don't want safe standing to speak on it though. It's why we didn't do it for a while - we wanted to be fair, balanced and so on. Now though we've taken a stance on it. As I said on the show I've every respect for Margaret - there's no need to reiterate why, we all know. But on this issue her arguments don't stack up. Safe standing has been described as a "backwards step" by the HFSG. Margaret has also said she believes "there is no such thing as safe standing". Those arguments just don't carry weight with what we've seen abroad and now at Celtic. I think Margaret and Trevor Hicks and anyone else at the HFSG who is dead against the idea (and it's not everyone involved) should go to Celtic Park and see it for themselves. The key point is it's making an unsafe situation (standing in seated areas) into a safer one - standing in rail seating areas. The club should have the debate.

Thanks Gareth. Completely on board with this now and your investigation into what is a sensitive subject has been outstanding. Just wondered whether there was any data regarding injury at all seater grounds in UK that you had come across and how it stacks up with anything from Celtic?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #16492 on: July 4, 2017, 06:30:47 pm »
Loved the Torres podcast, smiling all the way home.
:D

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16493 on: July 5, 2017, 09:17:45 am »
Love listening to Mo Stewart, very sensible and logical thinking. And it's always good to have someone who knows a lot about players in other leagues.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16494 on: July 5, 2017, 06:56:55 pm »
another informative piece on safe standing on the City Talk show (Gareth speaks to Jon Darch, a leading campaigner on safe standing who has worked closely with the Football Supporters’ Federation). Very good stuff.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #16495 on: July 5, 2017, 07:56:28 pm »
Love listening to Mo Stewart, very sensible and logical thinking. And it's always good to have someone who knows a lot about players in other leagues.
This.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16496 on: July 6, 2017, 12:18:56 pm »

Yup, much better than hearing the usual 'Sign him because same lads on Twitter said he's good' stuff

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #16497 on: July 6, 2017, 12:25:19 pm »
Yup, much better than hearing the usual 'Sign him because same lads on Twitter said he's good' stuff

Or "just do the deal". I appreciate it is a frustrating summer, and maybe other people like hearing the opinion represented on the Gutter, but I find it equally frustrating to listen to. If it was just a case of 'doing the deal' then the club would do it.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #16498 on: July 6, 2017, 04:57:01 pm »
Or "just do the deal". I appreciate it is a frustrating summer, and maybe other people like hearing the opinion represented on the Gutter, but I find it equally frustrating to listen to. If it was just a case of 'doing the deal' then the club would do it.
I do love listening to the gutter but the amount of Kremlinology (Kemlynology?) a regular transfer show has to indulge in is absurd.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #16499 on: July 6, 2017, 08:37:20 pm »
I don't usually listen to The Rider but the title 'Bobby Guttman' has drawn me in because he loves Kate Bush. I'll report back what I find.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
« Reply #16500 on: July 6, 2017, 09:12:43 pm »
Is the Anfield Road Wools podcast linked to TAW, or have they just stole logo and video styles?
“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16501 on: July 6, 2017, 10:47:13 pm »
Is the Anfield Road Wools podcast linked to TAW, or have they just stole logo and video styles?

From ten seconds it looks like a bad rip off.

Wool is a state of mind

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16502 on: July 7, 2017, 01:27:25 am »
I don't usually listen to The Rider but the title 'Bobby Guttman' has drawn me in because he loves Kate Bush. I'll report back what I find.

And he likes Tubeway Army - could be a classic

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #16503 on: July 7, 2017, 02:46:24 pm »
Not convinced the likes of Owen, Garcia, Kuyt and Dudek qualify as legends. Don't think any are particularly overrated in the eyes of our fans either.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16504 on: July 7, 2017, 03:41:32 pm »
Not convinced the likes of Owen, Garcia, Kuyt and Dudek qualify as legends. Don't think any are particularly overrated in the eyes of our fans either.

I can see the logic with Kuyt. Kuyt was more inconsistent than people seem to recall. I agree with Rob that on his bad days he really damaged our play against low-block sides and Rafa was too wedded to using him at all costs. In 08/09 for example we should have seen Benayoun right and Riera left far more often (such as in the 4-4 against Arsenal).

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #16505 on: July 7, 2017, 07:00:28 pm »
I'd happily listen to Rob chatter about anything, but his first indie banger choice lifts its hook entirely from Please Mr Postman and for some reason I'm disappointed in him for that.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16506 on: July 7, 2017, 09:26:13 pm »
I can see the logic with Kuyt. Kuyt was more inconsistent than people seem to recall. I agree with Rob that on his bad days he really damaged our play against low-block sides and Rafa was too wedded to using him at all costs. In 08/09 for example we should have seen Benayoun right and Riera left far more often (such as in the 4-4 against Arsenal).

i dont agree with this Kuyt was a consistent player and was rightly one of the first names on the team sheet. Benayoun was excellent off the bench that season and i think that's why Rafa liked to have that option off the bench because Kuyt is not really an impact player off the bench and plus Benayoun could play both sides and also the Gerrard role off the front so in effect Benayoun was a great chess piece off the bench. The 4-4 game wasnt a low block problem it was fuckin stupid defending. The big problem that season was Gerrard and Torres only playing together in about 13 league games out of 38 and the mancs having a rotation of 4 strikers Rooney, Ronaldo, Berbatov and Tevez giving whiskey nose plenty of options to cover injuries and loss of form. Also even with that firepower it was fuckin Macheda scoring twice in the run in and getting them 4 points that really sealed the deal for them. jammy c*nts. Still have scars from that season.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16507 on: July 11, 2017, 06:04:34 pm »
Found the ManVFat football pod interesting so decided to look at their website. Thought about joining as I could do with shifting a few pounds. Sun logo on it saying they had been featured in the Sun. Thinking twice now.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16508 on: July 11, 2017, 06:33:11 pm »
Found the ManVFat football pod interesting so decided to look at their website. Thought about joining as I could do with shifting a few pounds. Sun logo on it saying they had been featured in the Sun. Thinking twice now.

Didn't the bloke say he was a Liverpool fan? 👎

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #16509 on: July 12, 2017, 09:56:38 am »
Enjoyed the Long Hot Summer show.

Top quality and good insights.

:thumbup

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #16510 on: July 12, 2017, 10:14:12 am »
Just listened to Long hot summer..

Nice pod in what must be a difficult time having to talk about similar things.
Did disagree on a few of the things in reference to the first part of the show....although I agree with the opinion that its good to stick it out for the transfers you want and some people are a bit too impatient. no doubt.

Although someone mentioning we are more intuitive in the market and us being more methodical after what happened with Van Dijk literally a month ago is a bit mad  :o

I also don't think it's fair to say that it is because of history from previous owners which was mentioned a couple of times too. Maybe some folk on twitter think that? But don't think that's a general thing

Anyways, all meaningless and could be forgotten when season starts and we know where the chips have fallen  :) and to be honest there's a whole forum to discuss all this not this thread.

Great job on the podcasts in general tho keep up the good work!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #16511 on: July 12, 2017, 10:54:29 am »
Found the ManVFat football pod interesting so decided to look at their website. Thought about joining as I could do with shifting a few pounds. Sun logo on it saying they had been featured in the Sun.
Thinking twice now.

Surely a no brainer mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16512 on: July 12, 2017, 11:49:54 am »
Just listened to Long hot summer..

Did disagree on a few of the things in reference to the first part of the show....although I agree with the opinion that its good to stick it out for the transfers you want and some people are a bit too impatient. no doubt.

Although someone mentioning we are more intuitive in the market and us being more methodical after what happened with Van Dijk literally a month ago is a bit mad  :o

I also don't think it's fair to say that it is because of history from previous owners which was mentioned a couple of times too. Maybe some folk on twitter think that? But don't think that's a general thing

I thought the first half of the show was the podcast at its worst if I'm being brutal. "Everything is seen in a Liverpool prism" seemed to be the common theme whilst three people (yes, I'm excluding Neil from this criticism because I think he's much better than that) repeatedly looked at everything in a Liverpool Twitter prism.

Ahh well, AFQ Football was boss this week.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:51:33 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16513 on: July 13, 2017, 09:11:53 pm »
Good interview with Tony Barrett. It was interesting to hear him talk about the things he considered when he was offered the job. I think it's a brave job to take on, but his attitude towards it is spot on.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16514 on: July 13, 2017, 09:16:00 pm »
Good interview with Tony Barrett. It was interesting to hear him talk about the things he considered when he was offered the job. I think it's a brave job to take on, but his attitude towards it is spot on.
He's on a hiding to nothing in some ways....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16515 on: July 13, 2017, 09:26:39 pm »
He's on a hiding to nothing in some ways....
Yeah, he certainly won't be able to please everyone all the time. I just hope he doesn't become an easy target for people who just want to vent at the club for whatever reason. He was right in saying that fans should be looking to help him when they can, and just try to be understanding about what he can and can't do.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #16516 on: July 13, 2017, 11:06:14 pm »
Yeah, exactly. Think he was well within his rights to tell the dickheads on the Twitter not to bother him with trivia or shite. Doubt they'll listen though.
DAMMIT!

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16517 on: July 14, 2017, 09:38:36 am »
It was a good chat with Tony Barrett, I just hope that despite him saying what he did about how he intends to carry out his role and the importance of the Liverpool Way in terms of not having public arguments, he doesn't get slaughtered by people for not publicly disagreeing with the club the first time he presents a united front with the club (even if it may be an issue on which he privately disagrees with the club).

Just a couple of days ago I saw quotes from people not liking what they perceived as a corporate style response about the ticket fiasco and on the Echo site there were a few snide remarks along the lines of "well thats him sorted" and "he's one of them now"

I think its a good thing that the role exists and he seems as well qualified as anyone to do it. You could argue that the role only exists due to previous failings by the club, that may be true but we are where we are and by creating the role it shows a desire to get things right.

Lets not hound him out or make things unduly difficult.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16518 on: July 14, 2017, 11:22:18 am »
In general I think TAW is far too concerned with the opinions on dickheads on social media. The recent "Long Hot Summer" pod seemed to spend half of its time addressing the unrealistic expectations of nameless masses on Twitter, and ascribing the opinions of some loud voices to everyone. Probably the lads running the site/pods are more exposed to it than I am. I do every so often stumble on the numerous dumb voices with "LFC" in the Twitter bio and the mind boggles. Maybe it's to do with a lack of stuff to talk about now that the club has cracked down on transfer tittle tattle.

Ian Salmon harps on about it all the time also. Just tune that shit out wherever possible.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16519 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:58 pm »
Liverpool Stories is a great addition to the show. Looking forward to the next one.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.