Author Topic: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')  (Read 32039 times)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Re: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')
« Reply #400 on: January 11, 2017, 11:46:24 pm »
I thought we were poor and think 1-0 flattered us. The team looked half a yard off the pace and devoid of any creativity although things picked up for 10 minutes or so after Coutinho came on.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #401 on: January 11, 2017, 11:48:07 pm »
Our away form is a worry.

We got to go to places like Hull Watford West Brom West Ham.

We're  dropping points

Do fans think plymouth is a given? I fancy them to take us to the cleaners. They will battle and they will fight, i just hope we're up for it otherwise we may  find ourselves with a battle of our own from February  onwards...not a showdown final at wembley, oh no, but instead cementing our top 4 spot.

You're not a Liverpool fan, well I hope you're not anyway cause if you are you should be ashamed of yourself. You must live a very sad existence.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #402 on: January 11, 2017, 11:48:11 pm »
I'm going to have to avoid this part of the forum until Monday at least.

We were poor, we weren't ourselves, but there is still another match to go.

Can has been disappointing as of late.

Thank God Coutinho is back.

It's alright fella, come back Sunday night when all the bedwetters have gone. We aren't a bad team just going through a slight blip, everything will be OK come United.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #403 on: January 11, 2017, 11:49:48 pm »
Firmino has just become anonymous - I hope we find a way to get him back at the 9 if we're going to play him

Just read he has 1 goal / 0 assists in his last 10 and he doesn't look close to the same player he was early in the season. You'd think with his skills he could play anywhere across the front but he's only ever been at his best level as a striker.

Hopefully against United we start him central, Coutinho from the left and someone from the right (least important decision)

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #404 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:01 pm »
Literally the first time he's started there all season and most of last. Stewart presumably not because he played 90 at the weekend and who else in Can's position?? Once you lose Henderson and move Lallana forward the options are very limited
Anyway you can convince me of many things but I'm not buying Klopp as a fan of Lucas in CM - he hasn't played him there for months and months

You posted "It's bonkers he's still at the club".

That is disrespectful to say the least, about a club servant who has earned better regard, whatever your views about his current capabilities.

If we were to have a debate about Klopp's seeming disinclination to bolster our midfield options - in particular with athletic and aggressive alternatives to what we currently possess, I think we'd find common ground.

But that's not a stick to beat Lucas with, is it?

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:01 pm »
I would rather we have our blip now than in a month or so when most of our title challengers have European football.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
« Reply #406 on: January 11, 2017, 11:52:07 pm »
He's a manc. Don't bite mate.

He'd better be cos I don't want people like that labeling themselves as a Liverpool fan.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:54:39 pm by Souness1 »

Offline Malcolm Night

• Anny Roader
« Reply #407 on: January 11, 2017, 11:52:43 pm »
There really is no mystique behind this. It's an away kit, therefore we'll play it in games away from home. Away games are never easy and given that we're unbeaten at Anfield in about a year we're obviously more likely to lose away from home.

It has no bearing on our result what colour kit we wear.

I agree that it's almost entirely insignificant what kit we wear. In fact, our last great performance was against Middlesbrough in that toxic kit. It is quite funny though - Chris Coleman recently complained about the Wales away kit being cursed and I remember Fergie once made Utd change their shirts at half time because he thought that was making them under-perform. I'd just prefer if we wore the black away kit more often because at least then I know my eyes aren't being damaged  ;D

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #408 on: January 11, 2017, 11:52:54 pm »
I would rather we have our blip now than in a month or so when most of our title challengers have European football.

What? This is the worst time to have a blip. 3 competitions this month and we've failed to get a positive result in all 3.
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
« Reply #409 on: January 11, 2017, 11:55:30 pm »
What? This is the worst time to have a blip. 3 competitions this month and we've failed to get a positive result in all 3.

Yet we are still very much in the race for all 3. Not bad at all really is it?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:02:11 am by Souness1 »

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: January 11, 2017, 11:55:44 pm »
Odd since West Ham? we went on a 4 game win streak which included Everton, City and 3-0 at Boro after them. So over the top.

Sorry mate. Meant the Stoke game. No idea why I even typed WH.  I think we were outplayed by City and our sitting deep wasn't by design. Great result but a bit of a wake up call for us performance wise - against a very good team.

The last 3 games have all been reruns of each other.  I dont think we've looked like winning any of them.

I understand the congestion/injuries etc, but to be honest other teams have that excuse too and ALL have looked much fresher than us. Maybe we do need a lot more depth.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #411 on: January 11, 2017, 11:56:30 pm »

go to bed man,your a disgrace

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #412 on: January 11, 2017, 11:56:44 pm »

Or, we've had a blip and we're still in the running for all three competitions.

Cheer up misery tits.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
« Reply #413 on: January 12, 2017, 12:00:04 am »
Sorry mate. Meant the Stoke game. No idea why I even typed WH.  I think we were outplayed by City and our sitting deep wasn't by design. Great result but a bit of a wake up call for us performance wise - against a very good team.

The last 3 games have all been reruns of each other.  I dont think we've looked like winning any of them.

I understand the congestion/injuries etc, but to be honest other teams have that excuse too and ALL have looked much fresher than us. Maybe we do need a lot more depth.

Yeah fair enough, we haven't looked like our brilliant selves as of late but I have to disagree on the City game, thought we were great in that. Didn't give one of the best attacks in the league a sniff.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: January 12, 2017, 12:00:57 am »
You posted "It's bonkers he's still at the club".

That is disrespectful to say the least, about a club servant who has earned better regard, whatever your views about his current capabilities.

If we were to have a debate about Klopp's seeming disinclination to bolster our midfield options - in particular with athletic and aggressive alternatives to what we currently possess, I think we'd find common ground.

But that's not a stick to beat Lucas with, is it?

I'll change my phrasiology -he's no longer capable of playing at a top 6 club level in any position and is on high wages when we had the chance to upgrade him in the summer and that he's still here as our 5th choice centre back and 6th choice centre midfielder is .......unlikely

Separate discussion but I'm not too into the 'club servant' thing as it goes.
Players like Lucas are paid huge money to play at an elite level. They're under a contract and give their labour for cash - beyond that I think the role is romanticised.
Someone like Gerrard was a great servant to the club - he turned down countless offers from richer clubs where he could have won trophies more easily for his love of the club.
Nothing against Lucas personally (I like him as an individual and I'm so lazy that he's still my avatar) he gives everything - but in professional terms he's supposed to do the best he can for him and his family - I'm just not into the whole 'great servant' vibe for him or many others

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: January 12, 2017, 12:02:42 am »

We're second in the league, only following a team that almost broke the record for the longest unbeaten run in the league.
We drew against a fully senior side in the FA Cup with a team largely made up of kids for much of the match.
We are still very much in the tie against Southampton, I feel that it will be like the Villarreal games where they beat us at their place before we won at home and won the tie.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #416 on: January 12, 2017, 12:06:36 am »
People can say about Karius whatever they want but he's extremely talented and will be a great keeper for us in the future.

He's perfect for a team that aspires to be a top possession based team which is what we are and he's infinitely a better fit for it than Mignolet. Looking forward to watching him develop into an elite keeper with us.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
« Reply #417 on: January 12, 2017, 12:07:20 am »
go to bed man,your a disgrace

Can you not type properly?

Your use, or lack of grammatical correct sentences is a disgrace.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:11:14 am by Binomial »
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #418 on: January 12, 2017, 12:09:46 am »
Firmino has just become anonymous - I hope we find a way to get him back at the 9 if we're going to play him

Just read he has 1 goal / 0 assists in his last 10 and he doesn't look close to the same player he was early in the season. You'd think with his skills he could play anywhere across the front but he's only ever been at his best level as a striker.

Hopefully against United we start him central, Coutinho from the left and someone from the right (least important decision)

Sunday we simply have to go with Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana in my opinion given its previous success in big games and the lack of alternate options, but if Firmino doesn't deliver its time for him to take a place on the bench and Sturridge or Origi get a serious run of games.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
« Reply #419 on: January 12, 2017, 12:10:29 am »
Or, we've had a blip and we're still in the running for all three competitions.

Cheer up misery tits.

If only i could look at it that way.

We shouldn't  be needing a replay against league 2 opposition, we shouldn't  be throwing away a 1-2 lead away with 10mins at fucking blunderland, too many individual mistakes costing us again...why has this not been addressed....68% possession today, can anyone remember anything useful we did...serious question.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: January 12, 2017, 12:10:38 am »
People can say about Karius whatever they want but he's extremely talented and will be a great keeper for us in the future.

He's perfect for a team that aspires to be a top possession based team which is what we are and he's infinitely a better fit for it than Mignolet. Looking forward to watching him develop into an elite keeper with us.

Yep, loved some of his throws and quick distribution tonight. Unfortunately it was wasted by the 10 infront of him but good signs anyway and the saves!

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #421 on: January 12, 2017, 12:10:53 am »
What happened to our shooting recently? does winter really effect it that much? Hopefully with Coutinho back we can sort this out for Sunday.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:57:45 am by trimore »
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: January 12, 2017, 12:11:26 am »
We're second in the league, only following a team that almost broke the record for the longest unbeaten run in the league.
We drew against a fully senior side in the FA Cup with a team largely made up of kids for much of the match.
We are still very much in the tie against Southampton, I feel that it will be like the Villarreal games where they beat us at their place before we won at home and won the tie.

Well I wouldn't waste my time with that guy. We didn't play well tonight but sort of got away with one. I'd prefer to get this out of our system now and (hopefully) play to our usual standards against Utd on Sunday.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: January 12, 2017, 12:14:07 am »
Almost worst we've played all season. Too many players out of position tonight - Lallana, Firmino, Lucas, Emre...

Don't know what's happened to Emre but he's playing like a 35 year old who's legs are shot. So very slow.

Shame, tonight was a waste of energy. Karius had a good game though.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #424 on: January 12, 2017, 12:14:11 am »
What happened to shooting recently? does winter really effect it that much? Hopefully with Coutinho back we can sort this out for Sunday.

Another downside of Lucas as the deepest midfielder he occasionally had the opportunity to try a pop shot but he knows the outcome of such attempts.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: January 12, 2017, 12:14:26 am »
Sunday we simply have to go with Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana in my opinion given its previous success in big games and the lack of alternate options, but if Firmino doesn't deliver its time for him to take a place on the bench and Sturridge or Origi get a serious run of games.

I do not like the idea of playing Lallana in the front 3. He's not nearly as effective there as he is in midfield and you're just creating an even bigger problem by trying to remedy one. Play Lallana in midfield and have Origi on the wing.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #426 on: January 12, 2017, 12:16:46 am »
I do not like the idea of playing Lallana in the front 3. He's not nearly as effective there as he is in midfield and you're just creating an even bigger problem by trying to remedy one. Play Lallana in midfield and have Origi on the wing.

Agree with that. Lallana has played his best football in midfield and as we saw tonight we could do with some pace and Origi is the only one to offer that.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: January 12, 2017, 12:20:21 am »

He played okay in the front three tonight in the first half and against City too. I agree its not ideal but I just don't think Firmino with Origi or Sturridge particularly works on or off the ball. You can get away with it against weaker sides but at Old Trafford? I'm not convinced.

Aside from Leicester at home I'm genuinely struggling to remember us playing well with Firmino combining with Sturridge or Origi. Not only does our pressing seem to suffer but our combination play too.

I also don't think physicality in midfield would hurt even if Can's form is a major concern. He rarely let's us down in big games, though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:22:28 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #428 on: January 12, 2017, 12:22:35 am »
Only positive tonight was that Karius was excellent, made a string of great saves and commanded his area with every aerial ball they threw into the box.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:25:02 am by liverpool185 »
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: January 12, 2017, 12:23:47 am »
He played okay in the front three tonight in the first half and against City too. I agree its not ideal but I just don't think Firmino with Origi or Sturridge particularly works on or off the ball. You can get away with it against weaker sides but at Old Trafford? I'm not convinced.

Who plays in midfield if you have Lallana in the front 3? We have nobody else who offers what he does in midfield. His ability to turn on the ball and knit midfield and attack is absolutely integral to us being an attacking force. Without him in there it all becomes hard work and quite stodgy.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: January 12, 2017, 12:27:23 am »
Who plays in midfield if you have Lallana in the front 3? We have nobody else who offers what he does in midfield. His ability to turn on the ball and knit midfield and attack is absolutely integral to us being an attacking force. Without him in there it all becomes hard work and quite stodgy.

I'd go the same team as City but Coutinho for Mane and dog it out. Honestly don't see any other option now given we seem to have packed in signing footballers apparently.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
« Reply #431 on: January 12, 2017, 12:27:47 am »
Only positive tonight was that Karius was excellent, made a string of great saves and commanded his area with every aerial ball they threw into the box.

Absolutely.

Shame he'll  be dropped sunday though.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #432 on: January 12, 2017, 12:28:06 am »

Definitely agree, I think it's more important to get the best midfield we can out. Their three are performing well and I think the 'stodgy' three we had tonight would struggle against them. Henderson and Lallana back in there and we'll have the energy levels to handle it.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: January 12, 2017, 12:28:20 am »

By a country mile his best performance to date.

He will make more mistakes, he failed to handle the pressure last time. I hope he proves us wrong
and becomes a great player for us.

I remain unconvinced though.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #434 on: January 12, 2017, 12:31:45 am »
I'll change my phrasiology -he's no longer capable of playing at a top 6 club level in any position and is on high wages when we had the chance to upgrade him in the summer and that he's still here as our 5th choice centre back and 6th choice centre midfielder is .......unlikely

Separate discussion but I'm not too into the 'club servant' thing as it goes.
Players like Lucas are paid huge money to play at an elite level. They're under a contract and give their labour for cash - beyond that I think the role is romanticised.
Someone like Gerrard was a great servant to the club - he turned down countless offers from richer clubs where he could have won trophies more easily for his love of the club.
Nothing against Lucas personally (I like him as an individual and I'm so lazy that he's still my avatar) he gives everything - but in professional terms he's supposed to do the best he can for him and his family - I'm just not into the whole 'great servant' vibe for him or many others

Well, great servant or not, I certainly don't view all players as mercenaries, which is what your post implies.

But that not withstanding, Lucas was really not the primary reason we lost to Southampton. The very fact that your subsequent posts highlight his contribution, rather than that of others', leads me to suppose you are guilty of scapegoating.

We were collectively poor - second best in all aspects aside from possession. Lucas Leiva was not the primary culprit.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
« Reply #435 on: January 12, 2017, 12:33:55 am »

Absolutely.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: January 12, 2017, 12:35:03 am »
Well, great servant or not, I certainly don't view all players as mercenaries, which is what your post implies.

But that not withstanding, Lucas was really not the primary reason we lost to Southampton. The very fact that your subsequent posts highlight his contribution, rather than that of others', leads me to suppose you are guilty of scapegoating.

We were collectively poor - second best in all aspects aside from possession. Lucas Leiva was not the primary culprit.

I didn't say he was to blame and agree we were collectively poor

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
« Reply #437 on: January 12, 2017, 12:35:48 am »

Origi has been awful generally this season, goals aside. Can't be having passengers on Sunday.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: January 12, 2017, 12:39:53 am »
Origi has been awful generally this season, goals aside. Can't be having passengers on Sunday.

Important to have pace in the team though. If we go with Coutinho-Firmino-Lallana in attack they can compress the pitch way too easily. Our ability to counter attack will be severely compromised and there'll be a dearth of runs in behind.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:05 am »
Every aerial ball?

Even the punch he completely whiffed under no contact?

A couple of really big saves though, overall a very good game.