Author Topic: CSKA Sofia excluded from Champions League  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
CSKA Sofia excluded from Champions League
« on: June 5, 2008, 12:59:35 pm »
Beeb's sports page tracker is reporting that Bulgarian Champions CSKA Sofia have been excluded from next season's competition. More details to follow.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2008, 01:11:01 pm by Terry_Tibbs »

Offline Martyn.

• Nearly 20 and still a virgin
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CSKA Sofia kicked out of Champions League
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2008, 01:06:19 pm »
Will we have any teams left at this rate?
Number 9

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2008, 01:09:29 pm »
Isn't it their FA that asked them to be excluded, some news on it a few days back. Milan are going to take their spot

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2008, 01:10:39 pm »
Isn't it their FA that asked them to be excluded, some news on it a few days back. Milan are going to take their spot

yep was rumored a while ago

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2008, 01:12:39 pm »
Surely it should go to the second best team in the league?

If we, for whatever reason, were unable to compete in the CL the place would go to everton not milan?

Offline El Madrileno

• Main Stander
  • Siempre Juntos!
Re: CSKA Sofia excluded from Champions League
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2008, 01:13:24 pm »
Will we have any teams left at this rate?
I was thinking in the same thing   ;D
Saying Hello To All LFC Fans
Illa! Illa! Illa! ...Juanito Maravilla!

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2008, 01:14:54 pm »
So if Milan take Sofia's spot, who will have Porto's? Will it be the next team with the highest coefficient not in the comp or will they do the right thing and give it to Benfica?
JFT97

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2008, 01:17:15 pm »
So if Milan take Sofia's spot, who will have Porto's? Will it be the next team with the highest coefficient not in the comp or will they do the right thing and give it to Benfica?
The right thing would be to give Sofia's spot to whoever finished below them.

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2008, 01:17:47 pm »

Fairy muff, I hadn't heard that to be honest.

But my friend Google & Reuters confirms this to be the case:
SOFIA (Reuters) - Bulgarian champions CSKA Sofia have been excluded from next season's Champions League after failing to meet licensing criteria, the Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) said on Thursday.

"CSKA will not participate in the 2008-2009 UEFA's Champions League as this is a final decision," the BFU said in a statement. CSKA won their 31st Bulgarian league title this season and earned a place in the Champions League's third qualifying round but could not meet the BFU's Licensing Commission conditions.

UEFA, European soccer's governing body and organisers of the Champions League, were unavailable for comment. The Balkan country's most successful club, who marked their 60th anniversary last month, owe money to the National Social Security Institute, National Revenue Agency and creditors.

CSKA president Alexandar Tomov accepted responsibility for his team's failure and announced his resignation. "I have to do that," Tomov told reporters. "It is me and only me who is to blame. I'm not going to blame any of my subordinates because I'm the leading figure and everyone stares at me."

Tomov said in a statement on CSKA's official Web site (www.cska.bg) he would be replaced by the chief executive Emil Kostadinov, a former CSKA player. "I will continue helping the club in the future," Tomov said.

Many CSKA supporters have blamed Tomov for not getting the club's finances in order and he was insulted by fans during a chaotic news conference on Tuesday and hit by a thrown bottle outside the club's Bulgarska Armiya stadium. CSKA fans will gather at a meeting in Sofia on Friday to protest against the club's policies.

"It's a disgrace," Dimitar Angelov, the chairman of the fan club told reporters. "It's a stunning blow not only to CSKA supporters but to all Bulgarian citizens."

CSKA could be also expelled from the domestic premier league and forced to play in the country's amateur third division. The BFU said it would discuss the issue at an Executive Committee meeting.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyid=2008-06-05T111146Z_01_SP197310_RTRUKOC_0_UK-SOCCER-UEFA-CSKA.xml
At this rate there's a chance the Bitters could be back in Europe  :o ;)

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2008, 01:18:16 pm »

thats it

if they had beaten milan in a qualifier then yes but those losing out by sofia and portos issues are domestic teams

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2008, 01:23:24 pm »

Yeah that's what I mean. Porto have been kicked out, so their place should go to Benfica who finished 4th and not to the team with the highest UEFA coefficient.

In full agreement that Sofia's place should only go to another team from the Bulgarian league.
JFT97

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2008, 01:24:53 pm »
The bulgarian football federation has asked that CSKA Sofia[/b] will be excluded from the next Champions League preliminary round cause of their financial situation; if UEFA will accept this request, the club that would replace the Bulgarian team would be the one wit the highest UEFA coefficient, that means AC Milan[/b]. The Italian club was involved in the opposite situation in 2006, when Lens[/b]asked to be admitted to the Champions League instead of Milan tha was involved in a corruption scandal.

http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=17615

its in the AC could play in the champs league thread
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2008, 01:26:17 pm »
Technically shouldn't it be the next Bulgarian team ?  I smell a rat here.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline ben

• Legacy Fan
  • dont you know who i think i am?
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »
Yeah that's what I mean. Porto have been kicked out, so their place should go to Benfica who finished 4th and not to the team with the highest UEFA coefficient.

In full agreement that Sofia's place should only go to another team from the Bulgarian league.

absolutely, and you can bet a million quid that if liverpool, roma, or barca got kicked out, the place would go to someone in their league.

as CSKA are from a smaller league though, they'll see a chance to appease the big boys and put them in. aswell as making more money for themselves ofc.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2008, 01:31:15 pm »
Surely if Sofia's spot doesn't go to another Bulgarian team, and Porto's spot doesn't go to another Portuguese team, then they should go to the top two teams in the UEFA coefficient ranking from a country who doesn't have the maximum 4 teams already in the competition.

If AC Milan get in, a rat will be sniffed!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline BlaugranaPride

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: June 5, 2008, 01:39:04 pm »
I was thinking in the same thing   ;D

your picture is the worst ugly piece of shite ever mate.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2008, 01:43:31 pm by BlaugranaPride »
MÉS QUE UN CLUB

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 5, 2008, 01:44:20 pm »
:lmao

Technically shouldn't it be the next Bulgarian team ?  I smell a rat here.
Is it? I had thought it was the coefficient thing myself!
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #17 on: June 5, 2008, 01:45:02 pm »

:D

Scrap scrap scrap
JFT97

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #18 on: June 5, 2008, 01:45:48 pm »
;D
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 5, 2008, 01:54:43 pm »

Haha

But they are doing a very good job wrt Ronaldo and I appreciate them for that.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: June 5, 2008, 01:55:53 pm »
I said it in another thread and I will say it again.  Berlusconi will find a way in.  Expect to see Kaka lifting the thing in 12 months time.  ::)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 5, 2008, 01:56:19 pm »
Is it? I had thought it was the coefficient thing myself!

No, I'm not sure either.  I've heard some conflicting reports on this issue and was wondering too.  I heard that Porto would be replaced by Benfica and if that was the case, shouldn't CSKA be replaced by the next Bulgarian team ?

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 5, 2008, 02:02:20 pm »
I said it in another thread and I will say it again.  Berlusconi will find a way in.  Expect to see Kaka lifting the thing in 12 months time.  ::)
*stays away from Walshy's predictions* :D
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline toga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 5, 2008, 02:25:18 pm »
I think it would be shocking if Milan were allowed in. I know a place was found for us in 2005/6, but we were holders and the situation only came about because our FA played silly buggers and changed the system that they would have applied the previous year if necessary and which the Spanish FA have previously followed of demoting the fourth placed team in the league to the UEFA Cup.

According to Article 1, para 1.07 of the Regulations for last season's competition, a club which is not admitted to the competition shall be replaced by the next best-placed club in the top domestic league championship of the same national association, provided it fulfils the admission criteria.

Possible ways round this for Milan?
1. Change the Rules. We know this can be done! And next season's Regulations aren't on the UEFA website yet, although they are referred to in an article about Porto.
2. Show that para 1.07 does not apply. You only have to find that the next best-placed club does not fulfil the criteria and then rely on Article 30 (do-as-you-like clause - see below) because the rules do not say that the next best-placed eligible club will be admitted, only that the next-based club will be admitted if eligible.
3. Argue force majeure (see Article 30 again), because obviously Milan failing to qualify for the CL is on a par with war, earthquake and the second coming.  :P

Article 30 provides that the CEO will decide on any matters not provided for in the Regulations, as well as in cases of force majeure, and that his decisions are final. I think that the CEO is probably the General Secretary, who is now a Scot but was an Italian (Capo Famiglia, or something like that ...)
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

Offline Benfica1904

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: June 5, 2008, 02:32:19 pm »
LOL the same transfermarketweb.com bollocks again :D

For the last time, CSKA will be replaced by Levski, Porto will be replaced by Guimaraes (group stage), and Benfica get Guimaraes' place in the 3rd qualifying round.

MILAN WILL NOT PLAY IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
FC Porto: The most corrupt football club in the world - urbandictionary.com

Offline stevie h g

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: June 5, 2008, 02:32:47 pm »
ac will be a bigger tv draw than the next best Bulgarian team, thats all uefa care about, whatis right has got nothing to do with it.

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: June 5, 2008, 02:54:32 pm »
The right thing would be to play the competetion with 2 less teams,so long as they have 32 teams in for the group stage ,I don't see why they have to let anyone else in.Although it's obviously another UEFA ploy bending over backwards to let Milan back in.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #27 on: June 5, 2008, 04:08:42 pm »
I want Milan back in, as we agreed with their fans  after the game in Athens that we would see them again in Rome.

It just feels right ;D
Never give up