Author Topic: Injury (and absence) related chat (so the news is kept in the other thread)  (Read 555542 times)

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Injury related chat (so the news is kept in the other thread)
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2021, 02:19:31 pm »
Big Nat out for a few weeks with a cheekbone fracture.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2021, 04:16:45 pm »
This belongs in the other thread Roy ;)

Firmino being back mid December is really important given AFCON. I'd hope that Firmino, Jota and Minamino/Origi can cover Salah and Mane's absence for a couple of league games without huge issues but I'd be less confident about Jota, Origi and Minamino.

Sorry, this may not be the right thread, but is it just a couple of League games? I read that the players should leave for AFCON on Boxing Day at the latest, so Leeds game is a question mark. But even if you don't add the Leeds game, they could be missing

Leicester (A)
Chelsea (A)
League Cup Semis - Two Legs (if we win Quarters)
FA Cup Third Round
Brentford (H)
Crystal Palace (A)

They could be missing 4 League games and 7 games in all. I'm a little bit concerned now about just four attackers (Bobby, Jota, Origi, Minamino) going through all these games and trying to win all those games.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2021, 04:22:25 pm »
I read that the players should leave for AFCON

Is the AFCON really going to go ahead?

Seems like madness at the moment.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2021, 04:50:07 pm »
I read that the players should leave for AFCON on Boxing Day at the latest,

I thought the club were hopeful they wouldn't actually have to leave until after the Chelsea game? Unless that's changed and I've missed it. Apologies if so.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2021, 04:52:01 pm »
Sorry, this may not be the right thread, but is it just a couple of League games? I read that the players should leave for AFCON on Boxing Day at the latest, so Leeds game is a question mark. But even if you don't add the Leeds game, they could be missing

Leicester (A)
Chelsea (A)
League Cup Semis - Two Legs (if we win Quarters)
FA Cup Third Round
Brentford (H)
Crystal Palace (A)

They could be missing 4 League games and 7 games in all. I'm a little bit concerned now about just four attackers (Bobby, Jota, Origi, Minamino) going through all these games and trying to win all those games.

Klopp seemed to be confident that we will have them for the Chelsea game but yes its a huge concern if they miss 4 league games.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2021, 04:53:40 pm »
Klopp seemed to be confident that we will have them for the Chelsea game but yes its a huge concern if they miss 4 league games.

The whole thing is ridiculous

:no
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2021, 06:32:12 pm »
As long as we've got them for the Chelsea game you'd imagine we should have enough firepower to beat Brentford and Palace in the league. Depends who we get in the League Cup should we progress.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2021, 06:51:34 pm »
I thought 2 had been confirmed after the fear mongering from the athletic. May well be wrong though.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2021, 08:29:58 pm »
I thought 2 had been confirmed after the fear mongering from the athletic. May well be wrong though.
Klopp said last week we were still negotiating with the federations so we could release them a week later than we have to which is 26th December.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2021, 08:42:57 pm »
The whole thing is ridiculous

:no

I’ve no issue with the AFCON, we have and (mostly) enjoy the Euros, it’s obviously annoying when it comes in the middle of our season but they can’t help that. What is annoying is the idea that they’ll try and call the players up 2 weeks prior to the tournamen, it’s fucking ridiculous and not doing anyone any favours.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2021, 08:55:39 pm »
I’ve no issue with the AFCON, we have and (mostly) enjoy the Euros, it’s obviously annoying when it comes in the middle of our season but they can’t help that. What is annoying is the idea that they’ll try and call the players up 2 weeks prior to the tournamen, it’s fucking ridiculous and not doing anyone any favours.

Don't see why it can't be organized at the same time that there are International matches....realize it's longer, but it would reduce its negative impact on club sides.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2021, 09:00:30 pm »
I wonder how many clubs shy away from signing African players simply because they don't want to end up in the kind of situation we might end up in - if choosing between 2 similar players, that could sway a decision.

easy for me to say -- but the next WC will require European leagues to suspend their schedules.  why doesn't AFCON do the same and play it in the summer months and avoid this nonsense?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2021, 09:14:13 pm »
Just one point, Palace have 4 players going including Zaha so they will be in a worse position than us.

Obviously the red list could be an issue coming back depending on how things go (all this travel between African countries could simply spread it further).
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2021, 09:21:29 pm »
Just one point, Palace have 4 players going including Zaha so they will be in a worse position than us.
that makes me feel 0.00000000000000000000000% better.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2021, 09:23:21 pm »
it's not just Covid.  this is from yesterday.....

Africa's most prominent soccer championship, the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), has twice been pushed forward.

The first postponement was because Cameroon was deemed unprepared to host the games, and the second was because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) — Africa's soccer governing body — is now being asked if the escalating violence in the country's Anglophone regions poses too great a threat to spectators and team safety.

A vicious civil war has been raging in Cameroon's English-speaking areas, whose people make up 20% of the Central African country, since September 2017.

The clashes are between Cameroonian government forces and armed separatist groups.

Parties on both sides of the conflict committed widespread human rights violations in 2020, including extrajudicial or summary executions and mass murders in Cameroon's Anglophone regions, a report by Human Rights Watch found.
There are now mounting calls to delay the AFCON competition until the warring parties call for a ceasefire and enter peace negotiations.
Given the increasing attacks on civilians, the Confederation of African Football may come under pressure to postpone the tournament until President Paul Biya's regime attends peace talks.

Moreover, during AFCON, the deteriorating security situation would pose risks to players on and off the pitch.

The Cameroon authorities allegedly wish to host AFCON because of its status this will confer on them, on the continent and beyond.

https://www.dw.com/en/opinion-postpone-the-afcon-in-cameroon-due-to-the-anglophone-crisis/a-59979021
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 09:27:07 pm by SamLad »

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2021, 04:24:58 am »
I wonder how many clubs shy away from signing African players simply because they don't want to end up in the kind of situation we might end up in - if choosing between 2 similar players, that could sway a decision.

easy for me to say -- but the next WC will require European leagues to suspend their schedules.  why doesn't AFCON do the same and play it in the summer months and avoid this nonsense?
Have you tried to play football in the summer in parts of Africa like Cameroon, Ghana etc?
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2021, 05:48:31 am »

Yeah I've thought this for a long time, the tournament schedule could be limiting the earning capacity of its participants, surprised that the players' associations don't kick up more of a fuss.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2021, 09:01:12 am »
Have you tried to play football in the summer in parts of Africa like Cameroon, Ghana etc?

Both equatorial and temp is very similar all year round, coolest in July/august in fact for Cameroon and Ghana in particular. “Northern hemisphere” summer months are the wettest months there.

Climates of a huge continent like Africa differs massively and remember the Southern Hemispheres “summer” is Northerns winter.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2021, 08:35:08 pm »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-injury-news-origi-elliott-21730350

pretty positive, but the stuff on Divocks knee seems a little vague, anyone have anything concrete on that? we will need him in Jan I reckon
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2021, 04:48:17 am »

It will be played during the summer months. I'm not sure why it isn't played at the same time as the Euros.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2021, 07:27:41 am »
Yesterday it was 35 degrees here in Namibia... with the sun scorching the earth. In the south- near the border with SA, it's even worse. Easily 36-37 degrees, with almost no vegetation to speak of.
Imagine playing football in that heat.

Now imagine people(especially kids) actually doing that! ;D
Now imagine some kids in the rural areas playing football- not on pitches, but on sand and gravel! It's like playing on hot coal! ;D
When in it drops another 2 degrees, you'll see lots of people involved in other athletic activities such as jogging, cycling etc
Yes these are perfectly okay activities even in this heat if you're used to it. You just consume water by the bucket load though!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:36:25 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2021, 11:56:25 am »
The reason that European and South American players go for more money than comparable African players. AFCON is taken into account and that reduces their fees.

Admitted some of these calendars are a pain. Same with Asian games when Son had to fly home to play those. If only the confederations could work together but it is going to be hard to please everyone.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2021, 01:56:11 pm »
It will be played during the summer months.

when will that happen?

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #183 on: December 14, 2021, 03:26:11 pm »
Any news about Jones or Keita?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: December 14, 2021, 04:23:42 pm »
Any news about Jones or Keita?

Keita was on the bench for Villa.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: December 14, 2021, 04:51:34 pm »
Shows how much attention I was paying!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2021, 07:26:55 pm »
Curtis Jones back after his eye thingymajig.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2021, 07:31:25 pm »
Good to have him back!

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2021, 07:33:22 pm »
When is Booby due back?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2021, 07:41:13 pm »
Shows how much attention I was paying!

Worse still.. he played against Milan  :)
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2021, 07:48:48 pm »
When is Booby due back?

Bobby is already back in training right? I remember seeing some training pics?

As for Booby, you got me curious now  ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:50:19 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2021, 07:49:45 pm »
Yeah, he's doing light training but not team stuff yet.  Same goes for Harvey as well.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2021, 07:51:34 pm »
Yeah, he's doing light training but not team stuff yet.  Same goes for Harvey as well.

Cheers, mate. Bobby being back in a couple of games will be crucial. If we have him back for Leeds, I'll take that.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2021, 08:19:37 pm »
Curtis is back by looks of things
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2021, 09:52:43 pm »
Curtis Jones back after his eye thingymajig.

Already doing what Bobby does, looking in the wrong direction. Are the doctors sure he can see well? 😎
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2021, 09:57:13 pm »
Already doing what Bobby does, looking in the wrong direction. Are the doctors sure he can see well? 😎

I chuckled thinking about Richard Pryor in 'See no evil' when I read your post.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #196 on: December 14, 2021, 09:59:26 pm »
Bobby is already back in training right? I remember seeing some training pics?

As for Booby, you got me curious now  ;D

Its his saturday night out name ;D

Back training is good to hear.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #197 on: December 14, 2021, 09:59:50 pm »

Excellent news.
Y.N.W.A.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: December 15, 2021, 03:41:00 am »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2021, 09:36:15 am »
When is Booby due back?

For some of us, Booby never went away.