Author Topic: Liverpool 3 Toon 0 – Hares vs Startled Bunnies  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
Liverpool 3 Toon 0 – Hares vs Startled Bunnies
« on: March 7, 2002, 05:52:05 pm »
Can also be read here:
With the added bonus of discussing / commenting in non-RAOTL format  ;D

BSki

It’s always an occasion when the Toon come to town. Half the Annie Road end turns black and white, there’s shed loads of banter and jest before the game, we score a bunch of goals and go home with all three points. After just a few minutes and two Anelka runs into the game, I could see this one going the same way. In fact, the only challenge was going to be keeping “electric” puns out of the match report.

Before kick the game we knew Houllier was back on Merseyside. We knew he’d be picking the team but we wondered what influence he’d be able to wield away from Anfield. Ged’s ability to raise a players game or restore a players confidence has been proved time and time again. So with Murphy now standing in for Gerrard in the middle and hoping to emulate his Fulham and Gala performances at Anfield, I knew tonight’s result would be of Ged’s making.

The team selection looked perfect for the occasion. The usual DH3 continental diamond of Dudek – Henchoz – Hyypia and Hamman flanked by Xavier. But this time Riise was left back, making way for Heskey at left midfield. On the other side Smicer would start, surely this was the kind of game in which he can shine? Up front, St Michael and Nicolas Anelka, now showing the kind of form that brought the double to Highbury. This was the team that provided enough width to get back into the Everton game and so I was excited. The match day programme wasn’t enough. I had to buy Red All Over the Land as well to cope with all the drool.

Up against us was a free flowing, free attacking Geordie side inspired by Robert Robson (68). Once again I couldn’t pronounce half their players’ names. Time their Owen Imitator (Bellamy) and their free boozing midfielder (Dyer) were missing. Shame, but then they did replace their goofy striker with the biggest amoeba I’ve ever seen. Nothing that an on form Sami and Stephane couldn’t cope with. Then compared to our forward line, Shearer (despite his goals this season), is looking more Walls Sausage than Wallsend these days.

For many people, beauty is only a light switch away. So for one perfect moment, from 7.54pm, the travelling Geordies actually looked like quite an attractive bunch. Yes, some muppet had drilled through a Manweb cable. Or maybe they’d just plugged in Sky’s new Bollocks-o-meter. Either way we’d have to wait half an hour for the feature attraction.

The opening challenges were conspicuous by their absence. In contrast to the midfield stodge of the derby game, here the midfield opened up like the Red Sea (had Ged arranged this for us too?). So the game got into an early high tempo flow. Crosses from Murphy and Smicer gave Heskey half chances and the Kop belted out the clearest “Scouser Tommy” I’ve heard in years. Spine tingling stuff.

With no Magpie willing to close down the midfield, the through ball always looked like a goal scoring option. On gaining possession both Anelka and Owen would hare off on pacey runs, separately this time, which was a bonus I thought. In contrast, Dabizaz and O’Brien looked like startled bunnies and were struggling for answers to this level of movement. Well, OK… their first answer was to sandwich Michael and dump him inside the penalty area. A bit like Wenger, “I didn’t see it clearly” but the Annie Road were not H.P.

At the other end, Robert tickled our side netting but it was a brief intermission to the red tide. I’m not sure they had a shot on target did they? Then if you’re going to miss you might as well do it in style. Anelka, now a greyhound of a player, made his run down the right and unleashed a powerful shot against the bar. I might be being unfair there as I wouldn’t be surprised if Given (class keeper) got a touch to it.

A better chance followed as a similar run led to Nicolas cutting inside, only to launch a left foot effort into the away fans. They looked a lot less easy on the eye now by the way. Nicolas then appeared to be felled by Given after an untidy corner, but it seemed only GBH would win a spot kick from Jeff Winter tonight. He had a terrible game.

Anelka’s next effort was first time lucky. There was no answer to his pace and his quick feet seemed to mesmerise the startled bunnies even more. This time he pulled the cross behind Owen and as it seemed Distan would clear, Murphy cruised into the area to slot the ball inside the far post. The Geordies looked surprised, but then I was expecting Heskey to turn up too.

The pace was all too much for Speed (ber bum tsss) and he was replaced by a head of hair going by the name of Acuna. Having just stepped out of a salon, he had an immediate impact, Firstly to give the Kop the ball with an overhead in a crowded and very messy area. In fact it was a bit like kids playing “War”… but the Geordies were firing blanks. He then gave up possession in the middle and with a flick of the fringe gave Hamman a shooting opportunity from long range. He stung Given’s hand but he was still able to play volleyball with the effort and collect it at the second attempt. Stuffy Irishman.

Earlier Newcastle had worked a lovely free kick from Riise / Didi range. A few stripes stood round the ball and a couple ran over it including Shearer who ran directly towards goal. How the guy managed to find Shearer’s backside in the crowd was beyond me but it looked comical and summed up their half as we went into half time at 1-0.

Chances came aplenty attacking the Kop and although the impressive young Jenas did his best with a couple of efforts, it was all Liverpool. Smicer looked more at home in this game and with one perfect cross showed why he’s in the team. Sadly Anelka was muscled out on the six yard box and Heskey, who can’t have been expecting the ball, sent the ball looping over the bar.

Liverpool’s other player with less friends at Anfield than he deserves is Murphy. Even after his goal the Kop were singing “Nicolas Anelka” before recognising his run and clinical finish with a “Super Danny Murphy”. But this time there’d be no mistake. Spud ghosted through the middle of Toon’s startled bunnies to face Given and the Kop, which was the greater hurdle to overcome I wonder? As memories of his shanked effort vs Gala flooded back I was relieved to see him make a clean strike and it was too strong for Shay to keep out. “Super Danny Murphy” rang out loud and clear and I hope he lapped it up. 2-0 Liverpool and we don’t lose from there do we?

But this is Newcastle and although Robson said they looked overawed and played without belief, they wouldn’t lie down. So up steps Carl Cort to pull one back. No, Jeff Winter has spotted a hand. The hand of Cort. My fantasy league clean sheet was safe. Still, it was nice for the Geordie “suits” in the Main Stand to stretch their legs.

There was more assault and battery to come too as a third penalty decision went begging. Owen looked to be clean through even if his first touch wasn’t the best. Would Given get there first? No, O’Brien would tap his ankles first. Without the benefit of instant replays you look to the players for their reaction and Sami’s said it all for me. In fact, when play next stopped he motioned an ankle tap to our Jeff who was having none of it. Sami’s disciplinary record says it all and he knows a professional foul when he sees it, so I’ll take his word for it and suggest Mr Winter had a bad day at the office.

Didi sealed the night with a clinical 20 yard side foot set up by Smicer. Smicer isn’t a dirty word at all you know, I think he did well and although he could take lessons from Nicolas in retaining possession, he justified his selection tonight. He might have a job keeping his place with Barmby back though. Just as some legs looked a little tired, it was he and Litmanen (replacement hamstrings for Owen) who cruelly harassed Newcastle’s beleaguered defence. They were definitely tired and wanted to go to bed.

This result leaves us two points behind The Corporation who apparently get penalties outside the box too these days. Newcastle aren’t out of it at all, but on this performance my three horse race prediction looks sound. This was a telling performance although the remaining visitors to Anfield won’t need to be told. We’ve found a new formula and drive to playing at home. So unless Chelsea, Charlton, Blackburn, Derby or Ipswich have got a Mondragon in goal I think we should target maximum points at Anfield from now until May 11. Oh and can we keep the clock at 7.54 permanently? It’d be a reminder of how we destroy teams at Anfield.

Redmen Walking:

Dudek: Little to say really, except he’s probably sad not to have pulled off his customary world class save this time. Commanding on crosses though and it’s nice to be able to say that after several years.

Xavier: Solid performance again with some quality touches and one or two fine overlapping runs. Still looks like Santa though.

Henchoz: Fresh from media adulation after the Fulham game, he puts on another quality show. Was Shearer playing tonight?

Hyypia: Had fun with Cort thoughout the game in fact I actually saw him lose a header. Bit of a collectors item that as Ron Atkinson would say (tosser). Pulled off a couple of Henchoz style blocks too, flattery by imitation I think they call it.

Riise: Scuffed his free kick after Didi rolled it too early, but still looking like a contender for buy of the season. Worked the left with Heskey well, but I’d still like to see him make his mind up early when he takes on a defender.

Hamman: *Cut and paste Didi’s usual paragraph here. Oh and add the clinical finish, not to mention the desire to run with the ball that opened up Newcastle’s midfield on several occasions

Murphy: I said the game might hinge on his performance, but to be honest I’m not sure it did. He looked fresh, full of running and was predicting the play well. A couple of passes went astray but they were more than made up with his attacking running. With Bowyer having a mare, he’s probably second only to Scholes (bleurgh) at turning up in the box at the right time these days.

Heskey: Powerful, better control than in the past and seemingly inspired by Anelka tonight. Hugged the touchline well and provided enough thought and running to overwhelm Toon’s right side. Sven likes him in this position and so do I. I’d like to see him see out the season here, with changes made only for the tougher games where Carra (LB) and Riise (LM) is a better defensive option.

Owen: Once again singled out for late swipes, ankles scrapes and blows to the head and back. But Michael has the physical strength to survive these days. Always a menace and unlucky not to be through on goal a couple of times. World Class and O’Brien / Dabizaz will be suffering ahead of their FA tie on Saturday

Anelka: Man of the match and more importantly, deserving of the praise he got from the Kop. It was all here tonight, the speed, the touch, the work rate, the class and the vision. Very unlucky not to score (I’ll credit Given with that save after all). This was the kind of game where you want every player to give him the ball. Awesome, and scarily enough he’s still improving with every game.

Litmanen: On for Michael, show a few pieces of Jari skill, including a fine drag back in midfield (cue “Ole” around the ground). For me it was his retention of possession and some of the tracking back he did that was impressive

Barmby: He’s red, he’s white, he scored against the shite… and he looks to be back too. Fitness allowing I’d be fine with Smicer and Barmby sharing that right midfield role, depending on the opponents. Good running and likely to turn up with a goal soon.

...and now I'll be preparing myself for ticket bargaining in Barcelona...  ;D
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

treble2001

Re: Liverpool 3 Toon 0 – Hares vs Startled Bunnies
« Reply #1 on: March 7, 2002, 09:55:20 pm »
Nice one Barret,  no "Anelka gave enough Eletric for all" puns?

Hou turned the lights off? Hou-Houllier  :)

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2002, 12:09:53 am »
Cheers Mark...

Yeah I had "electric Anelka", "lights out on Newcastle's Premiership challenge", "three pin attack", "arced cross", "blinding pace", "battery powered Shearer" and all sorts in my head... but saw all the cheesy tabloids had used half of them already. Didn't want to flatter the cheese-meisters you see.

Anyway... saw a couple of your articles in print. In that RAOTL fanzine, so apologies for drooling over it.  ;D
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

treble2001

« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2002, 12:30:05 am »
Ta Bski mate!

that was the tabloids dream...electric and light puns all over the show!!

;D ;D ;D

Good luck with the ticket hunt!

Offline Shaky Jake

• Kopite
  • from corners he will score some...
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2002, 11:22:10 am »
Nice one Bazza.

About the Owen penalty. Didn't look like a pen to me after seeing the replay (Armchair Scumbag that I am), but earlier Given went into the back of Anelka like a Sunday-League centre half and I was positive that was.

And I thought the ref did well to spot the handball.
Give it to John

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2002, 02:43:11 pm »
I thought we had 2 clear pennos, and that they should have had 1.

Also the useless pile of fat shite that is Jeff Winter didn't see the handball, it was the lino.

Nice report Bski...we battered 'em!