Author Topic: Biggest flop In Europeon football over the last 10 years.  (Read 30742 times)

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
Re: Biggest flop In Europeon football over the last 10 years.
« Reply #160 on: September 6, 2010, 10:19:11 pm »
Not as much as they did on Albert Luque...whatever happened to him?

Thats another name I put in the other thread. Thought he was going to be a star. He was excellent at depor

Did he go to Ajax?
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #161 on: September 6, 2010, 10:21:14 pm »
There's another thread?

Its the 'VDV snubbed Liverpool' thread.

The OP here posted that VDV is the biggest flop in European football in the last 10 years

Doc Cornwallis reckons he'll be on loan to B'ham by Christmas
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #162 on: September 6, 2010, 10:22:23 pm »

Doc Cornwallis reckons he'll be on loan to B'ham by Christmas

Before the window even re-opens. Ballsy call!

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: September 7, 2010, 12:46:14 am »
Take your pick...

Berbatov to United for £30m (9th most expensive transfer of all time)
Robinho to Man City for £32m (7th most expensive transfer of all time)
Shevchenko to Chelsea for £30m (10th most expensive transfer of all time)
Shaun Wright Phillips to Chelsea for £21m

I reserve judgement on Aquilani, Benzema and Kaka for the time being, they are young enough and good enough to turn things around, but it doesn't look too good at the moment.

But seriously, half of Man City's squad is full of players who cost way too much, have limited ability, and will never justify their price tags, such as Jo (£18M), Balotelli (£24m), Carlos Tevez (£45m), Lescott (£23m), Santa Cruz (£17.5m).
The above players would be pushing their luck at half their price.
I totally agree with this list of names. Though I would say Kaka is a definite flop, he is one of the worst, in fact, he is THE biggest flop in past decade on my list. 65 million pounds and what did he do? Nothing :lmao

Sadly, one other big flop of the decade is Ibra. Yes, his season wasn't too bad and everything, but my God, his reputation, the price we paid...

My top 5:
1. Kaka
2. Robinho :lmao
3. Shevchenko
4. Veron
5. Benzema/Berbatov etc.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: September 7, 2010, 01:00:12 am »
Fair enough.

SWP has been shit everywhere, he's in.
Robinho was good in Brazil, average everywhere else, he's in.

Van Der Vaart is a good shout, though some will argue he did well in both Holland and Germany.
Ryan Babel is a better shout.
Vincent Kompany is another one, talked up as a wunderkid for ages but never really got going anywhere yet.
Jermaine Pennant is another one, just walked into various clubs on the back of his 'failed potential' ticket, another wunderkid.
Cassano has already been mentioned.
I think Chiellini probably deserves a mention as well.
I think there's a case to be made for Robbie Fowler once he left us the first time, he travelled for years and never fulfilled that promise again. Carlos Alberto was a wunderkid at Porto when they won the Champions League, he just vanished off the radar completely.
Simao is a big one for me, so much potential but such a journeyman.
Miguel is another, top right back for Portugal.
Patrick Vieira anyone?  Top of his game, best in the World when he left Arsenal age 28/29 and I was wondering just how much better he could get, but was such a journeyman at both Juventus and Inter.
Milan Baros.  38 goals in 78 games for the Czechs so far, his class is there for all to see, top scorer at Euro 2004...odd one.
Maniche.  Was amazing in 2003/04/05, then just faded completely.
Diego Tristan.  So good, then so bad.
Gaizka Mendieta.  See Maniche.
Joaquin.  Wunderkid, talent, but nothing to show for it.
Vicente.  See Joaquin.
Juan Roman Riquelme.  Amazing, should have won everything several times in Europe.
Ivan De La Pena.  As above.

Diego is in danger of doing the same thing, has he left Juventus

Again, I agree with this post.

The only correction I would make is that I would remove Vicente. He didn't go shit, he just is very injury prone. One of the classic wingers in the past decade. The best left winger in the world for 2-3 years. Loved watching him.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #165 on: September 7, 2010, 01:01:15 am »
Kaka never really got going at Madrid, and never really looked fit to me, not as fit as in his Milan days anyway. Looked a little overweight at the World Cup as well - he's been a flop at Madrid thus far, but lets not forget that he was majestic for Milan during his time there. Plenty of time to turn it around in Spain.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 7, 2010, 01:06:51 am »
Kaka never really got going at Madrid, and never really looked fit to me, not as fit as in his Milan days anyway. Looked a little overweight at the World Cup as well - he's been a flop at Madrid thus far, but lets not forget that he was majestic for Milan during his time there. Plenty of time to turn it around in Spain.
I don't think he has plenty of time in Madrid. He is also 28, and out for half a year. I don't see "plenty of time" for him.

He will be shipped out for small fee, and would be dubbed as one of the historical flops, IMO.

Was it fitness problem? Who knows, either that or lost interest. He always finds time and desire to play for Brazil, but for Madrid, he is always said to be not fit :lmao

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #167 on: September 7, 2010, 01:16:05 am »
I don't think he has plenty of time in Madrid. He is also 28, and out for half a year. I don't see "plenty of time" for him.

Well if Madrid want to write off however much money he cost and ship him out, then that's really up to them. He should have a few good years left if he clears this injury, and with the talent he has it'd be daft to write him off.

Funny how alot of these flops seem to be expensive Madrid signings..something about that place.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: September 7, 2010, 01:16:56 am »
It's funny how many of these players have signed for Newcastle at some point. Newcastle United - Where good footballers go to die.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 7, 2010, 02:14:48 am »
Not a one off move that failed like Berbatov to the mancs, as we all know he was class before that, or sheva to chelsea. Someone who has generally failed everywhere he has gone considering the talent they have.

Mine is van der vaart.

I don't understand this.

Players who have failed everywhere considering their talent.

I think more than half the names mentioned in this thread don't belong to this list.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 7, 2010, 02:24:50 am »
Kaka cannot be mentioned, hardly failed at Milan did he.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 7, 2010, 02:27:37 am »
cassano was hugely rated, has been very disapointing. probably the biggest flop in that he has never ever been close to reaching his potential.

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 7, 2010, 02:30:31 am »
I don't really see the point in a thread like this. I still don't understand it.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #173 on: September 7, 2010, 02:43:37 am »
The crap he's served up? He won two La Ligas with Real and had a great record there.

I'll let him speak for himself on that one, "My personal aim is to be the best player in the world and that isn't going to be possible at Real Madrid." He's got the talent to be a true great. My money is on him never rising above decent international standard. OP says to judge relative to the talent the player has. Robinho has in no way reached anywhere close to where he could be.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Jezza789

• Anny Roader
« Reply #174 on: September 7, 2010, 02:47:11 am »
Can't believe no one has mentioned Quaresma yet..
agree with this one

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 7, 2010, 03:01:24 am »
I think the OP was asking about players who were once great but then became consistently average thereafter. This is a bit different from a one off flop. Shevchenko flopped at Chelsea but was brilliant for years at Dynamo & Milan. Riquelme flopped at Barca but resurrected his career with Villareal.

1. Robinho: Real Madrid & Man City
2. Quaresma: Barca & Inter
3. Huntelaar: Real Madrid & AC Milan

They're not shit players. They're just not up to starting for Europe's elite clubs.

Still would have taken Huntelaar here for a decent price.  :P

Offline miroa12004

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #176 on: September 7, 2010, 03:10:38 am »
For some reason, people seem to be forgetting Alberto Gilardino
Quote from:  HBK
It is good to be pissed of than to be pissed on

Quote from: Chris McCandless
Rather than love, than money,
than faith, than fame, than fairness, give me truth.

Quote from: Matt Damon at Rounders
If you're too careful, your whole life can become a fuckin' grind.

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 7, 2010, 03:12:58 am »
If you include Robinho in that list, that means you didn't see him under Schuster at Madrid.

He was electric, and probably the most important player in the whole attacking system in that team. All the automatisms, defense-to-attack transitions had him as the key piece until he got injured. He was a "combinative" type of player, direct, good reader of the pace the game needed depending on the situation, with great eye to assist and score.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #178 on: September 7, 2010, 03:38:19 am »
If you include Robinho in that list, that means you didn't see him under Schuster at Madrid.

The quote from Robinho about not being able to fulfill his personal ambition was from the end of that season when Schuster had tried to build the team around him at Real Madrid, got some decent performances but had the dressing room close to rioting because Robinho was turning up for training late (by days) after internationals because he was out partying in Brazil - although at least he wasn't being fined for turning up pissed for training as he was the season before. If you think that lad is fulfilling his potential (£80m+ spent on him in transfer fees in just three transfers), then you didn't see the kid at Santos who was absolutely mesmeric. Diego has at least partially redeemed himself with a very decent spell in Germany before his failed move to Italy.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2010, 03:40:56 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 7, 2010, 04:01:09 am »

He was electric, and probably the most important player in the whole attacking system in that team. All the automatisms, defense-to-attack transitions had him as the key piece until he got injured. He was a "combinative" type of player, direct, good reader of the pace the game needed depending on the situation, with great eye to assist and score.

Yeah, but he was never a leader of Madrid. Nice flash player at times, but didn't justify the hype. Overall, not a very bad buy, because Madrid could sell him even for more money.

However, considering his talents, he is one of the flops of decade. He has and had incredible abilities, but he is a wimp.

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 7, 2010, 04:16:48 am »

He will be shipped out for small fee, and would be dubbed as one of the historical flops, IMO.

Was it fitness problem? Who knows, either that or lost interest. He always finds time and desire to play for Brazil, but for Madrid, he is always said to be not fit :lmao

You are quite clearly biased.

Kaka is an ex world footballer of the year and Champions League winner for god sake. How anyone can say he is a flop is crazy. Maybe he hasn't shone at Madrid like he did at Milan, but does that suddenly make him "one of the most historical flops" as you put it? I don't think so.

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 7, 2010, 04:25:13 am »
The quote from Robinho about not being able to fulfill his personal ambition was from the end of that season when Schuster had tried to build the team around him at Real Madrid, got some decent performances but had the dressing room close to rioting because Robinho was turning up for training late (by days) after internationals because he was out partying in Brazil - although at least he wasn't being fined for turning up pissed for training as he was the season before. If you think that lad is fulfilling his potential (£80m+ spent on him in transfer fees in just three transfers), then you didn't see the kid at Santos who was absolutely mesmeric. Diego has at least partially redeemed himself with a very decent spell in Germany before his failed move to Italy.

There is a big, big difference between someone not fulfilling his potential and being a flop (failing utterly). Robinho wasn't one at Madrid, far from it.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 7, 2010, 04:42:29 am »
You are quite clearly biased.

Kaka is an ex world footballer of the year and Champions League winner for god sake. How anyone can say he is a flop is crazy. Maybe he hasn't shone at Madrid like he did at Milan, but does that suddenly make him "one of the most historical flops" as you put it? I don't think so.
Well, he has been a flop at Madrid, no matter what he did with Milan. Actually, he was quite inconsistent for Milan as well, AFAIK, Milan never won a league with him. He had brilliant games, but he was overrated there and never deserved the Golden Ball.

What he did for Madrid to justify his price tag? What did he do for Madrid to justify even 1/5th of his price tag? NOTHING. Like it or not, he has been one of the worst big money buys in the history of football so far.

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 7, 2010, 04:44:18 am »
Well, he has been a flop at Madrid, no matter what he did with Milan. Actually, he was quite inconsistent for Milan as well, AFAIK, Milan never won a league with him. He had brilliant games, but he was overrated there and never deserved the Golden Ball.

*facepalm*

Yeah. Okay mate.

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 7, 2010, 04:50:25 am »
;D

Offline bakstabba

• Lord, what fools these mortals be!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 7, 2010, 06:37:01 am »
Quaresma

EDIT: And Kewell with his injuries
Socrates did have a habit of polarising opinion, as does Lucas. Lucas is also good at hemming opponents in and locking them into difficult situations.

Offline myrlas