Author Topic: League Cup and Club World Cup.  (Read 180574 times)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: League Cup and Club World Cup.
« Reply #1800 on: November 25, 2019, 09:03:05 pm »
i thought i read that EFL has rules about fielding a 'competitive' team with first team players and that LFC were reminded of this when the game was scheduled.  Could that mean the likes of a Lovren or a Shaqiri are left home to start with 9 other youngsters to make it look better? 

No the rules are you have to play the kind of team you played in the last round ..so if you played 5 1st team squad players and 6 youth players the that has to be the make up of your team.

However, doubt that rule applies to us for this considering our situation.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #1801 on: November 25, 2019, 09:29:48 pm »
In the interview Klopp mentioned he will meet the rules by using many of the same players from the previous 2 games, that means the kids, so not Origi, Ox, Lovren and Milner. Gomez will probably also go to Qatar, along with Shaqiri who played the first game.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1802 on: November 25, 2019, 10:40:22 pm »
The likes of Kelleher, Williams, VDB, Hoever, Chirivella, Kane, Elliott, Jones and Brewster have already featured in the competition so don't think that rule is an issue.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1803 on: November 26, 2019, 01:33:05 am »
Villa changed 9 players for the last round. While they might not make that many changes for the QF but I don’t think they will go full strength. ...

They have a demanding run of games coming up, the manager will target the home game against Southampton as a must win - so that might help us.

2nd Man U (A)
5th Chelsea (A)
8th Leicester
14th Sheffield U (A)
17th League cup v LFC
21st Southampton

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1804 on: November 26, 2019, 01:58:24 am »
So why not we go win the world championship and the kids can continue on winning the league cup.  im good with that.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #1805 on: November 26, 2019, 09:16:50 am »
Lets assume we get the South Americans in the final. I think a big difference vs 2005 is that we have Allison, Fabinho and Firmino in the squad who will really want to perform and make a statement in front of their home country TV audience.

I think it makes a big difference and just adds that extra impetus.

My friend who is a Flamengo fan just sent me the words for their new song;

Foi em Novembro la no Peru
Botou O River na roda
Gabigol, aos 91
Ficou marcado na historia
E no Rio nao tem outro igual
Liverpool, te espero na final

His rough translation;

In November in Peru
We battered River
Gabigol in the 91st minute
Will be remembered in history
And in Rio we have no equal
Liverpool, I hope it's you in the final
JFT97

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1806 on: November 26, 2019, 10:58:20 am »
There's a trophy missing from The Champions Wall and the Walk of Champions. We need to win it, something the great Liverpool sides of the past were never able to achieve.

Plus we get to wear this badge for at least a year and piss everyone off. It would go straight on to our CL kit wouldn't it?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1807 on: November 26, 2019, 11:04:15 am »
Sleeves are gonna look kinda crowded with all these badges  ;D

Would it replace the '6' CL one or the '2019' one?

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: November 26, 2019, 11:05:32 am »
Sleeves are gonna look kinda crowded with all these badges  ;D

Would it replace the '6' CL one or the '2019' one?

Goes front and centre I think

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #1809 on: November 26, 2019, 01:06:53 pm »
Goes front and centre I think

Yep normally worn slap bang in the middle.

Nike will be creaming themselves at the prospect of marketing with this accolade.
JFT97

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1810 on: November 26, 2019, 01:24:33 pm »
Our Brazilian players will definitely care. Also Fabinho started off at Fluminese arch rivals of Flamengo. Allisson spoke about wanting to always play in the club world cup. Bobby will feel the same. I remember when Chelsea lost to Corinthians in 2012 final and David Luiz was crying his eyes out as he saw it as huge trophy to miss out on.

I know many won't like this comment, but I think there is some truth in it. This also pits Nike vs Adidas on the world stage as Flamengo is sponsored by Adidas. Yes, I know we are currently in New Balance, but Nike is waiting in the wings. From a financial aspect for the club I believe this to be a massive trophy to win from a marketing standpoint.

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1811 on: November 26, 2019, 01:29:42 pm »
I hope the weather at the Club World Cup allows us to play our normal game of high intensity if the coaching staff wants too. Is there any Middle Eastern reds that can give a weather update for that time of year.  ;)

From highlights that I have seen if we are able to press I think we can cause them some problems. They do seem to have some quality going forward. 

Not bothered about the League Cup at all I want to have payback for '81.    :champ

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1812 on: November 26, 2019, 01:33:17 pm »
I've not read through thread so not sure of the RAWK consensus but I for one am really looking forward to the Club World Cup

Actually just being in it should be a source of immense pride for club, players and fans alike.  Its not going to do our already mega profile any harm either.

Hopefully, all being well we will be playing one of the most famous South American clubs of them all.

Its going to be great IMO.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1813 on: November 26, 2019, 02:01:10 pm »
I think it’s cool.

Too many are freaking out that it will mess up the league - but I don’t think it will especially now that we are tanking the League Cup and if we win tomorrow we can rotate for the final CL game.

Offline Aziziya Vin

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1814 on: November 26, 2019, 02:31:52 pm »
I hope the weather at the Club World Cup allows us to play our normal game of high intensity if the coaching staff wants too. Is there any Middle Eastern reds that can give a weather update for that time of year.  ;)

From highlights that I have seen if we are able to press I think we can cause them some problems. They do seem to have some quality going forward. 

Not bothered about the League Cup at all I want to have payback for '81.    :champ

The weather will be perfect - probably around 65˚F at 8.30pm, when the games kick off

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1815 on: November 26, 2019, 02:35:42 pm »
I've not read through thread so not sure of the RAWK consensus but I for one am really looking forward to the Club World Cup

Actually just being in it should be a source of immense pride for club, players and fans alike.  Its not going to do our already mega profile any harm either.

Hopefully, all being well we will be playing one of the most famous South American clubs of them all.

I'm just looking forward to having a couple of relatively stress free games (not saying that they'll be easy, I just won't care as much about the result).
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1816 on: November 26, 2019, 02:38:25 pm »
The weather will be perfect - probably around 65˚F at 8.30pm, when the games kick off

18 degrees if anyone was wondering.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1817 on: November 26, 2019, 03:12:56 pm »
I think it’s cool.

Too many are freaking out that it will mess up the league - but I don’t think it will especially now that we are tanking the League Cup and if we win tomorrow we can rotate for the final CL game.
Are we? Just watch the kids run Villa ragged... ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1818 on: November 26, 2019, 04:24:25 pm »

I hate it. Another gimmick tournament, that is so lame that it's about to be ended. The last thing football needs is more half-assed games.
Playing on a blood-soiled stadium in Qatar is also a disgrace to the history of the club. All for a few quid. Sickening.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1819 on: November 26, 2019, 04:33:21 pm »
I hate it. Another gimmick tournament, that is so lame that it's about to be ended. The last thing football needs is more half-assed games.
Playing on a blood-soiled stadium in Qatar is also a disgrace to the history of the club. All for a few quid. Sickening.

There’s a lot to discuss here!!

Firstly the club World Cup isn’t ending. It’s growing and will be a summer tournament. I don’t like that but that’s the truth.

Far from a gimmick for every confederation outside of Europe. In fact most of Europe rate it highly. In South America it’s the pinnacle.

Judging by the chat from flamengo it’s going to be anything but half assed. If you believe Maddock in the mirror our players have emphasised to the boss how much it means to them to try win it too

This final bit about Qatar - the club doesn’t pick the venue. I also think not going would be an insult to the people in Qatar. It’s the regime the issues are with not the workers so I think we should be going for them as much as anything

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1820 on: November 26, 2019, 04:55:25 pm »

It'll be a strong mix of our first team and squad players across the two games, with maybe Allison and VVD playing both and potentially the likes of TAA and Robertson playing one each, but I don't think we'll be half arsed at all.

Personally think our squad are more motivated to win it than to earn our owners a few quid.

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1821 on: November 27, 2019, 12:20:10 am »
. Thank you for the reply. :wave

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1822 on: November 27, 2019, 12:22:44 am »
I want us to win the Club World Cup so badly.
Believer

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #1823 on: November 27, 2019, 12:40:49 am »

It’s growing and will be a summer tournament. I don’t like that but that’s the truth.

Funny that but obvious why. The big European clubs have been making a truckload of cash doing summer tours in USA and far east this past decade.  Fifa's thinking is "fuck that" we want control as well as a big cut.  South American, African, and Asian clubs want in also for the $.

Last I read the European Club Association has threatened to boycott any summer club world cup.
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1824 on: November 28, 2019, 11:05:55 am »
#Sausages

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #1825 on: November 28, 2019, 11:16:47 am »
I'm going to spoil the party by saying the Club World Cup is still a shit trophy. We previously won the European Cup 5 times and didn't win this Cup. If Team X elbows Virgil in the stomach, VAR thinks it's not clear and obvious, then goes on to score, while the ref doesn't spot their wild tackling, they pull us to a penalty shootout and edge us... well, what kind of two-match event is a proper world title?

Now, back to reality: The Champions League is the only competition with the world's best teams in it. The winner of this competition is the rightful holder of the world title. End of. We don't need to play in this thing in Qatar to justify the title. Nothing has changed... and if you just act like sheep and celebrate this trophy, then no worries, Fifa's getting ready a big tourno for another world title in a few years, soon after winning the UCL.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1826 on: November 28, 2019, 11:20:05 am »
i thought i read that EFL has rules about fielding a 'competitive' team with first team players and that LFC were reminded of this when the game was scheduled.  Could that mean the likes of a Lovren or a Shaqiri are left home to start with 9 other youngsters to make it look better? 

Why would you leave Lovren behind? Who do you suggest plays ahead of him??

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1827 on: November 28, 2019, 11:53:05 am »
I'm going to spoil the party by saying the Club World Cup is still a shit trophy. We previously won the European Cup 5 times and didn't win this Cup. If Team X elbows Virgil in the stomach, VAR thinks it's not clear and obvious, then goes on to score, while the ref doesn't spot their wild tackling, they pull us to a penalty shootout and edge us... well, what kind of two-match event is a proper world title?

Now, back to reality: The Champions League is the only competition with the world's best teams in it. The winner of this competition is the rightful holder of the world title. End of. We don't need to play in this thing in Qatar to justify the title. Nothing has changed... and if you just act like sheep and celebrate this trophy, then no worries, Fifa's getting ready a big tourno for another world title in a few years, soon after winning the UCL.

Yeah, it's nothing we've took too seriously in the past. Flamengo could beat us 3-0 again in the final, it means everything to them but wouldn't mean anything to me. We won the European Cup and proved we were the best team in the world. Flamengo have never been better than us, Sao Paolo were never better than us, I'm not even sure of the other team who beat us, I think it was either Estudiantes or Independiente. That's how shit it is. Whoever it was have never been better than us.

If you offered me a tonking in the final for that point in Salzburg, I'd bite your hand off now. But if we're going over there, we might as well win it.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #1828 on: November 28, 2019, 02:26:40 pm »
what kind of two-match event is a proper world title?
Or you could look at it the other and think that those 2 matches are a culmination of 13 that were played last season. Who else plays in it? Only the champions.

Will this make or break our season? No way, but I think this is a box that needs ticking, esp after 2005.

It's essentially 1 match, let's keep that trophy winning feeling going!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1829 on: November 28, 2019, 02:31:17 pm »

World cup would be great to win, and as long as we are fit and ready for Leicester all good.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1830 on: November 28, 2019, 08:16:37 pm »
what kind of two-match event is a proper world title?

Now, back to reality: The Champions League is the only competition with the world's best teams in it.

1 You missed that part where you need to qualify by finishing in the top 4 in the Prem and possibly play a qualifier and then come out of a 4 team group round robin and then win 3 consecutive two legged ties against avg say top ten in the world quality teams and then win a final. You need to do all that just to punch your ticket to the dance. Then youve got to beat a regional champion who did the same thing to get to the final against usually the south american champions.

2 Europe has the best depth by far but the history of the various club tournaments is about a 50-50 split including we have lost twice. the South American Champ can give anyone a game on a one off.

Damn straight we want this. winning it will catapult us to the title not interfere.  the boys will walk 3 inches taller for months.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1831 on: November 29, 2019, 01:45:17 am »
The CWC, as its Toyota Cup predecessor, were always far more important to the South Americans than the Europeans, not even close. No idea why, but the same is with the Olympic football games. It's nice to win the CWC, we have done the more difficult part already by qualifying as European Champ[ions. But if that compromises our title challenge, then screw it. There is no crystal ball to tell which way it will go, but we should approach the tournament with caution; I don't want to see loosing another player to injury...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1832 on: December 5, 2019, 10:21:33 am »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/376344-liverpool-fifa-club-world-cup-squad-confirmed

Liverpool have confirmed their 23-man squad for the forthcoming FIFA Club World Cup in Qatar later this month.

The Reds are set to play two matches in the tournament, with games scheduled for Wednesday December 18 and Saturday December 21.

Joel Matip and Fabinho are not included in Jürgen Klopp’s selection as they continue their recovery from respective injuries.

Players suffering from illness or injury prior to Liverpool’s first match in the competition can be replaced in the squad up to 24 hours before kick-off.

Liverpool FIFA Club World Cup squad: Alisson, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Jones, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott, Williams.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1833 on: December 5, 2019, 10:25:22 am »
U23s not even going to have their best players vs Villa. Unless they're going to play might have been better letting them play vs Villa and taking some other u23s as squad fillers.

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
« Reply #1834 on: December 5, 2019, 10:30:02 am »
I think Klopp will play quite a lot of the reserves in the semis and use the Qatar trip as half a break for the team. Shrewd  :)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1835 on: December 5, 2019, 10:37:13 am »
I think Klopp will play quite a lot of the reserves in the semis and use the Qatar trip as half a break for the team. Shrewd  :)

I think there is an 11 day gap between the Salzburg game and the Final of the Club World Cup. Granted, we have Watford and the Semi final between that time so its very possible that some players needing rests get that whole period off.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1836 on: December 5, 2019, 10:40:06 am »
Seems feasible that the youngsters named will play against Villa and then travel, maybe with a couple others.
AHA!

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1837 on: December 5, 2019, 10:41:05 am »
Seems feasible that the youngsters named will play against Villa and then travel, maybe with a couple others.

Inexperienced youngsters such as Harvey Elliott, Rhian Brewster, Curtis Jones and Neco Williams were expected to stay at home to play a leading role in Liverpool's side for their League Cup quarter-final with Aston Villa but they too will be travelling to Qatar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/50668923
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1838 on: December 5, 2019, 10:41:25 am »

Hasn't Klopp said this isn't feasible?

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1839 on: December 5, 2019, 10:43:34 am »
That’s me told.

Ah well, they get more experience in and around the first team, in a different environment. Feel really sorry for the kids that go out against Villa.
AHA!