Author Topic: Liverpool vs Manchester United, 17 January 2021, 4:30 PM  (Read 55250 times)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Re: Liverpool vs Manchester United, 17 January 2020, 4:30 PM
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2021, 12:45:00 am »
A part of me would love to see us play a diamond with Shaqiri as the 10 and Mane and Salah up front.

I like Xherdan as a 25-30 minute substitute more ----

He can watch the game evolve, his physical deficits are less exposed (defensive restarts, or in transition tracking back) plus if he does a muscle early in an intense game, which is possible with him --- we keep the sub.

And his effectiveness is more aligned with the game calmed down a bit, maybe even tired.  Shaq should play agreed, I just think the upside in game of this intensity is not as much as the downside, with respect to changing his role in the team.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:47:39 am by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2021, 02:25:54 am »

He can watch the game evolve, his physical deficits are less exposed (defensive restarts, or in transition tracking back) plus if he does a muscle early in an intense game, which is possible with him --- we keep the sub.

And his effectiveness is more aligned with the game calmed down a bit, maybe even tired.  Shaq should play agreed, I just think the upside in game of this intensity is not as much as the downside, with respect to changing his role in the team.

Agree with this.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2021, 02:28:37 am »
It will also kill our attack. Henderson will step back to take the ball off Williams and Trent will be worried and probably stay deep to cover that channel. That’s two players that we may nullify.

Do you forget that Williams has a good passing range? He's not Phillips, but maybe for you both are the same.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2021, 02:50:35 am »

I agree with that all. Let's see what we have in store

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2021, 04:03:41 am »
Thanks PiM.
Massive game for us and them. We’d both take a point I guess.
Love to see Joel back. Some magic from the front 3 would be lovely.

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2021, 05:19:59 am »
Its a must win game not from the perspective of giving Utd a gap to chase but City... assuming they win their game in hand. Feel like they would be more difficult to gain ground on than Utd

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2021, 06:31:50 am »
They need taking down a peg or two, if it wasn't for covid they would be 10 points behind us.

In a way them being ahead does us a favour, they will definitely be happy with a point.

The big worry for me is Trent's form, we really need him to snap out of his funk. Neco is a good player and probably better than Trent on current form but miles behind normal Trent.
Would love to see Shaq playing, I know people have reservations about him starting but I can see Utd just sitting in.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2021, 07:17:13 am »
Just win this, period.
Believer

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2021, 07:41:10 am »
I absolutely hate playing these, but I also absolutely love playing these. Beating them is one of my favourite moments of any season when it happens.

Agree with a couple of posters on the first page, would love to see Shaq in from the start but I don't think he will. Thiago has to start, which I'm almost certain he will. A draw also suits them very well, which is what they will most likely play for too. I can't see them coming to Anfield and trying to play on the front foot. They will be snide, diving, time wasting little bastards and wait for the one or 2 opportunities which they will get to get forward. They will be itching for the chance to go down in the box for yet another dubious penalty.

I'm sure Jurgen will remind the lads that this will be the biggest game of the season so far (as every next game is). The way the table lies at the moment we have got to be taking the opportunity to beat them. I think we will do just that.

3-1 Red men
YNWA - JFT97

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2021, 08:11:38 am »
Dont know what to expect in this game at all.

Im going with 4-3-3

Ali
Trent - Phillips - Fabinho - Robertson
Thiago - Henderson - Gini
Salah - Firmino - Mane

Matip in for Phillips if fit, bench options of Shaqiri, Milner, Minamino. Henderson to play DCM as i think Thiago needs to get used to how shit our refs are and we need to avoid early cards. Also put Thiago on the right to create more for Salah & Trent

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2021, 08:48:44 am »
Alisson
TAA Henderson Fabinho Robertson
Milner Thiago Wij
Salah Firmino Mane

Of course if Matip and/or Keita are available then it changes things.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2021, 10:23:25 am »
Big decision if Matip is out
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2021, 10:35:19 am »
Do you forget that Williams has a good passing range? He's not Phillips, but maybe for you both are the same.

It's true, Williams distrobution is very good, it's the best side of his game and what makes me think he's going to be a real player. Very composed, excellent vision.

Offline Gaz75

• Kopite
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2021, 10:39:53 am »
Big decision if Matip is out
yeah it's huge, I think I would prefer Williams to play, although he does lack pace I think we need Hendo more in the midfield.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2021, 10:42:47 am »
yeah it's huge, I think I would prefer Williams to play, although he does lack pace I think we need Hendo more in the midfield.

You miss his drive if he isn’t.

Their midfield will be Fred, Pogba, Fernandes and McTominay I suspect - be a diamond with two up top
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:49 am »
Matip and Keita not in training today according to the Echo
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2021, 10:46:05 am »
Matip and Keita not in training today according to the Echo

You can’t see either being risked for a one off match as it’s not how Klopp works

So you either go with Henderson and play a third midfielder with Gini / Thiago (Shaq, Jones or Milner) or play Williams / Philips up against Rashford and Cavani

Both are far from ideal but if we play on front foot then we will cause them problems

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2021, 10:46:35 am »
I don't see Williams or Phillips being put in against Rashford, Cavani etc.

Cavani especially would have them on toast.

I think Klopp will go for Hendo and Fabinho, and he'll put Milner in midfield for the simple fact of getting someone in the middle who will put their foot in a bit - leaving the tempo dictating to Thiago.

1-1
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Gaz75

• Kopite
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2021, 10:47:13 am »
You miss his drive if he isn’t.

Their midfield will be Fred, Pogba, Fernandes and McTominay I suspect - be a diamond with two up top
exactly, even with Thiago in the team you still lose out moving him to CB.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2021, 10:48:40 am »
Not sure Jurgen has the tactical awareness to beat Ole in one game or for the rest of the season.

Maybe my eyes are lying to me but that is what I am reading here and there. We all know Utd are coming here to win a point and if they do that they will be celebrating. Their away form has been impressive but how many games have they started well. Virtually everyone they have gone behind and fair deuce to them they keep winning which is a good sign for them but on the other side that ability to fight back will end. Also when did a team ever win a title with a Top 6 home form? They dont and unless Utd sort out their home form they will not win the title.

The key for us is to be around the top by March as that is when we should have a match fit Thiago, Jota and Matip back in the loop. If we do that with 15 games left in the season then we will still be favourites to win the title.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2021, 10:52:52 am »
No fucking about, need to give our performance of the season here. They have generally been piss poor/quite jammy in the last 10 games, not sure they have won by more than a single goal in ages.

If Matip is fit and Trent is back in form we will knock em back in their box easy.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2021, 11:02:11 am »
Personally don’t think Henderson works as CB but probably no Choice than to go with him

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2021, 11:13:48 am »
If Matip is fit, the team picks itself. Without Matip, we need to accept that we will concede chances whoever we pick at CB, so personally, I think we should go with Williams as he offers more with the ball. We're likely to be up against Rashford and Cavani, which is not dissimilar to Harry Kane and Son, and Williams/Fabinho handled them ok for the most part.

But more importantly for me, attack will be the best form of defence and as we can finally get Fabinho, Trent, Robbo, Gini, Hendo, Thiago, Mane, Salah and Bobby all on the same pitch after a good weeks training at the new training centre, that should be far too much for them. 3-1.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2021, 11:17:47 am »
Personally don’t think Henderson works as CB but probably no Choice than to go with him

Agree, is the team any better off with Hendo at CB rather than Phillips in at CB and Hendo in midfield?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2021, 11:26:32 am »
Agree, is the team any better off with Hendo at CB rather than Phillips in at CB and Hendo in midfield?
Depends what type of game we're expecting, as well as who replaces Henderson in midfield and how they perform

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2021, 11:32:20 am »
Depends what type of game we're expecting, as well as who replaces Henderson in midfield and how they perform
So, you're going with "maybe"?

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:02 am »
It's my birthday on Sunday, so I am even more anxious than usual. I just want a win.

P.s. The post title has the wrong date. We're in 2021.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2021, 11:36:09 am »
So, you're going with "maybe"?
Yes  :D

Although for Sunday I think yes we're better off starting Henderson over Phillips in defence.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2021, 11:38:55 am »
Yes  :D

Although for Sunday I think yes we're better off starting Henderson over Phillips in defence.
Nah. Williams will be CB. They'll have worked on covering patterns for fast breaks by utd regardless, given that even if Matip were to play they wouldn't want him pulling up with a hammy having to sprint after rashford.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2021, 11:46:08 am »
If there's no Matip Henderson at centre back is close to a certainty imo
We're playing the team with one of if not the fastest counter attacks in the league and they'll set up to do almost exclusively this - can't see a world where Klopp sends out Williams or Phillips to be exposed to that given we now have plenty of midfield options to take Henderson's place

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Re: Liverpool vs Manchester United, 17 January 2021, 4:30 PM
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2021, 12:14:08 pm »
The team picks itself if Matip is out as far as I'm concerned.

Alisson

Trent Hendo Fab Robbo

Gini Thiago

Shaq Firmino Mane

Salah

This system and team selection means it is Shaq providing width on the right, where he's more comfortable hugging the touchline and playing incisive passes into the middle than Salah, who is our most dangerous goalscorer and should be allowed a freer role. It keeps our most dangerous combination in tandem down the left side. It helps Bobby focus on knitting play together, even if I have reservations about his carelessness in possession in that role, and tracking back to regain possession for the team, rather than being a presence in the box.

I'd have Gini sitting deeper and getting his fabulous arse in to Pogba, who is undoubtedly a threat at the moment and needs containing. Rashford on the other side will be a concern, but I trust Fabinho against him one v one (with Robbo and Thiago helping out whenever possible), providing he doesn't pick up an early booking. Let Thiago take control of the game. No more endless crossing. Let's play fussball.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2021, 12:17:47 pm »
If there's no Matip Henderson at centre back is close to a certainty imo
We're playing the team with one of if not the fastest counter attacks in the league and they'll set up to do almost exclusively this - can't see a world where Klopp sends out Williams or Phillips to be exposed to that given we now have plenty of midfield options to take Henderson's place

Got to agree with this.

I think Henderson is the most likely starter at centre back. Followed by Williams.

Find it surprising how many Liverpool supporters on social media are calling fro Phillips to start. I'd be shocked if Phillips started centre back in this game (but not if he starts Burnley). Feels like we'd be playing straight into United's hand if we started a very slow centre back.

The ability to have a higher defensive line (with Henderson and Fabinho) outweighs the loss of Henderson in midfield. Particularly when we'll still have 4 or 5 midfield options to chose from.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2021, 12:21:03 pm »
We've got Ali. Everything will be fine if we score.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2021, 12:21:11 pm »
Hoping Thiago arrives on Sunday; the front three have their mojo back; and, we rip these miserable Mancs a new one. What have we got to lose? Let's go and show them who the champions are.

Up the reds!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2021, 12:22:39 pm »
Want to watch the game on mute but I am looking forward to it. Feels like everyone is down about our chances in general but a win here will make you all feel better.

As said, it’s not must win (or mustn’t lose) because of United, but with the run City are on and the games they have coming up, plus a couple of tricky aways on the horizon for us it probably is must win if we don’t want City opening up a bit of a gap before we play them.

So let’s win please.

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2021, 12:25:13 pm »
You can’t see either being risked for a one off match as it’s not how Klopp works

So you either go with Henderson and play a third midfielder with Gini / Thiago (Shaq, Jones or Milner) or play Williams / Philips up against Rashford and Cavani

Both are far from ideal but if we play on front foot then we will cause them problems

Personally I think it'll be a centre back pairing of Henderson and Fabinho, with Thiago, Wijnaldum and possibly Milner, Shaq or Chamberlain in midfield with the usual front three.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2021, 12:26:00 pm »
Personally I think it'll be a centre back pairing of Henderson and Fabinho, with Thiago, Wijnaldum and possibly Milner, Shaq or Chamberlain in midfield with the usual front three.

There's absolutely no way Chamberlain can start in this game.

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2021, 12:26:47 pm »
Want to watch the game on mute but I am looking forward to it. Feels like everyone is down about our chances in general but a win here will make you all feel better.

As said, it’s not must win (or mustn’t lose) because of United, but with the run City are on and the games they have coming up, plus a couple of tricky aways on the horizon for us it probably is must win if we don’t want City opening up a bit of a gap before we play them.

So let’s win please.

If you haven't already watched any of our matches on mute with the Anfield Wrap Hotmic commentary, then I suppose that this is the best game to try it out 👍

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2021, 12:41:04 pm »

So let’s win please.

This is the important bit, they're only a point behind us will leapfrog us and close to within a point of the other mob if they win their game in hand.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2021, 12:42:20 pm »
Games like this are shite without fans in the ground. Fucking love the United games, biggest game of the season for me. I couldn't give a shit about the Everton games, they haven't beat us in over a decade and even when they did, they finished below us. I went to school in a class majority of ev supports, same with the workplace. I don't mind them, have great banter with them over the years. Beating the mancs is what I enjoy the most. Liverpool v Manchester. Watching them win league after league was the norm growing up, us scraping for top four while these lot had the best team, best manager and most resources. Painful, but you didn't know any better being born in the mid 90s.

We go into this game with the same slack intensity as we have in recent weeks, they will beat us. Their away form is excellent, and they have players who can cause damage. 1v1 battles is what they excell in. Need to stay tight on Fernández, don't let him loose because he can cause havoc in the half spaces. Rashford comes alive against us, he thrives in the spaces behind the fullback. OGS isnt a generational manager, or one who is revolutionary, but he knows how to get a tune out of his players more often than not. United can do far better, but they aren't as shit as people make out.

We've had a full week to prepare for this, we know what they are good at. Just hope Matip is fit, we will need experienced heads at the back. Keep Fernández and Rashford quiet, and focus on what we are good at, we have a good chance of winning. I reckon this to be a cagey match. Looking forward to seeing Thiago and Gini together, pass and move like we know we can, and we will be alright. Head says 1-1, Heart says 1-0 to us. Just don't fucking lose.  ;D
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke