Author Topic: Liverpool vs Manchester United, 17 January 2021, 4:30 PM  (Read 54964 times)

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool vs Manchester United, 17 January 2021, 4:30 PM
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2021, 12:47:39 am »
You do know that it's posable for us to get over 80 points even if we draw or lose on Sunday.

We'd have 33 points after 18 games. We'd need 47 from the remaining 20 games. Whilst I think it's unlikely that any team goes on a big winning run like in previous seasons, surely we think our current squad has a least a chance of getting 47 points from the last 20 games.

I get the importance of the game but a loss or draw on Sunday doesn't kill our title challenge after less than half of the season has been played. The way I'm reading some posters, a significant number of you think that unless we win against United a title win is highly unlikely this season. That's quite the bold prediction when we could only be 3 points off the top with 20 games to go.
While mathematically it does not kill us off the title race, Psychologically it may. No games won for 4 in the league. No result against your nearest present title rival at home. Lose and the impact will be even bigger. In spite of the label of mentality monsters. That label is a memory now.

However, a win will do wonders.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2021, 06:31:33 am »
Pogba: "We know the story. We know it’s Liverpool. Everybody knows it. We know they’re second, they know we’re first. We know if we win we have six points on them, everybody knows that."

And we know you're on the bench ya big tart.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2021, 07:09:16 am »
If Matip and (to a much lesser extent) Keita are back, I'm very confident. If not, then I still feel we can do it, even with Henderson in defence. A draw would hardly be a disaster under the circumstances, but would probably mean we'd need to win our next 5 in the league, including City.

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2021, 07:52:30 am »
The feeling of a big game v United really doesn't change as you get older, or during a pandemic for me. Can't believe how nervous I am already. It's an awful but great feeling! 😂
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2021, 07:58:00 am »
You do know that it's posable for us to get over 80 points even if we draw or lose on Sunday.

We'd have 33 points after 18 games. We'd need 47 from the remaining 20 games. Whilst I think it's unlikely that any team goes on a big winning run like in previous seasons, surely we think our current squad has a least a chance of getting 47 points from the last 20 games.

I get the importance of the game but a loss or draw on Sunday doesn't kill our title challenge after less than half of the season has been played. The way I'm reading some posters, a significant number of you think that unless we win against United a title win is highly unlikely this season. That's quite the bold prediction when we could only be 3 points off the top with 20 games to go.

Not without defenders.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2021, 08:16:20 am »
Pogba: "We know the story. We know it’s Liverpool. Everybody knows it. We know they’re second, they know we’re first. We know if we win we have six points on them, everybody knows that."

Obsessed with currently being in top spot...with half a season to go. About the fifth team to have held that position so far, but can't recall the others behaving like this.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2021, 08:23:41 am »
Really looking forward to this game but our players have to turn up, every one of them. No room for passengers Sunday as United will be raring to go. Big game for Salah and Firmino in my opinion

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2021, 08:25:04 am »
Obsessed with currently being in top spot...with half a season to go. About the fifth team to have held that position so far, but can't recall the others behaving like this.
The difference to us is amazing. We always bat away questions saying it doesn't matter until you have physically won it.

This mentality will heap pressure on them as the season goes on.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2021, 09:03:26 am »

There's something that you don't know you bellend; Anfield isn't theater of dreams, but theater of reality where your dreams will get crushed on Sunday!
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2021, 09:11:48 am »
A time will come when their luck runs out, they don't get the penalties, don't get favourable ref decisions or deflected goals, and the opposition knock them back down to earth.

This will be that game.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2021, 09:19:48 am »
Just. Fucking. Win.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2021, 09:35:15 am »
Rashford: "I admit I'm a cheat"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55670445

Maybe Klopp should forward this to the ref ahead of Sunday.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2021, 09:38:53 am »
Not sure what is going on with some at the moment saying this is must win, it's game 18 of 38 isn't it? It's not even remotely close in any way shape or form to must win. Not symbolically or literally, nothing.
This debate goes on every year, but I think its fairly obvious when people say it's a 'must win' game, they're not suggesting the title race is over if we don't, or that it's all or nothing.

What 'must win' means for this match is a lot of different things combined - we're the title holders, they're our biggest rivals, we're on a mini run of poor form, they're on a long run of good form, and we're playing at home with a long unbeaten record.

We can go back above them, silence any critics, knock the wind from their sails, stop their momentum, build confidence, and send a statement to the rest of the league that we're still the team to beat. Their fans think they're title contenders, and hope to get number 21 straight after we got 19 and reclaim their perch. It may be only matchweek 18, but this game is about so much more than 3 points and always will be - this season more than ever. Games like this can also be the springboard for a good run as we approach the business end of the season.

So for me, its absolutely a must win for all those reasons, and it's symbolically important. We've been decimated by injuries yet can go back on top of the league after only getting 2 points from our last 9. It doesn't mean it's doom and gloom if we lose, but personally I can't wait for this match given all the narratives this season about whether we can defend our title.

Mentality monsters. 3-0

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2021, 09:40:12 am »
Our forwards are going to need to bring their A-game, especially if Matip is out.

I can see them scoring a couple if Matip is out.

If Matip is out, I really hope we don't play Williams. Nothing against the lad, but you just know United will have Fernandes playing through balls into his area, knowing fine well that more times than not, their man will beat Williams for pace.

The first goal, as ever, is massively important. If they get it, we will be up against it, as they can really expose our high line/lack of pace combo on the break.

All going well (And Matip starting), the cream should rise to the top.

3-1 Liverpool.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2021, 09:49:00 am »

Thing is forwards should dive on contact in the box - staying up is almost always a terrible decision.
The problem with it is the idea in the British media that some lads are cheats when they do it and by some lads I mean exclusively Mo Salah

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2021, 09:50:04 am »
Whatever the result, my biggest hope is that the game isn't all about the referees - which I'm afraid it will be.
After all that has been said about standards, penalties, after recent interviews it would be some display of arrogance for the PGMOL to once again do their inept and biased thing - which they so obviously will.

Yeah, not very interested in this shit anymore.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #256 on: January 15, 2021, 10:15:43 am »

So that's 2 clear signals in the national press that Utd either get preferential treatment from refs or they dive so it's pretty much guaranteed they will get an undeserved one on Sunday.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: January 15, 2021, 10:19:13 am »
Wouldn't be particularly worried however Uniteds only decent players are their forwards, and we have no defence.

Hoping our front three step up and we just outscore them.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #258 on: January 15, 2021, 10:19:35 am »
The feeling of a big game v United really doesn't change as you get older, or during a pandemic for me. Can't believe how nervous I am already. It's an awful but great feeling! 😂
Totally agree.

I'd dearly love us to comfortably despatch them but it NEVER (well, very rarely) seems to work that way hence the stress in the build up.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: January 15, 2021, 10:22:23 am »
Here we are in a position to go back to the top of the table, even with all the shit thrown at us this season we're still standing.

I expect the exact style of play from the mancs that we've seen over the past two seasons. Raise their game, throw themselves on the ground at every opportunity and shit the bed when their defence is pressed. Same old mancs, they really haven't changed that much.

If the officials and VAR can stay out of this game we'll win it. Let everything go for both sides, penalties, red cards, marginal offsides, the lot. Just let us fucking play and we'll give the world a show.

Pssstt, Ole and the players think they only have to show up to win, pass it on.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: January 15, 2021, 10:28:47 am »
Whatever the result, my biggest hope is that the game isn't all about the referees - which I'm afraid it will be.
After all that has been said about standards, penalties, after recent interviews it would be some display of arrogance for the PGMOL to once again do their inept and biased thing - which they so obviously will.
These games have always been about pressure on the officials - from the managers, the players, and the crowds.

The thing is - this season should have been the season that all that changed - without 50,000 fans in the stadiums, all the pressure on decision making changes - there's no longer a home/away influence (other than the ground itself), there's no pressure from the shouting/booing/general abuse when a big call needs to be made, and there's no time pressures in terms of keeping 50,000 fans waiting, and therefore the decisions can take a little longer if needed (which many have, but are still somehow wrong...).

There has never been a better time to make stone cold, unbiased, logical decisions, based on a simple set of clear rules that will be unchallenged. The fact that the FA have still managed to fuck it up highlights how utterly inept they are.

What gives me hope is that I think these things do even themselves out - even if not completely. I don't believe in conspiracy theories and obviously no other team is going to get both their best centre backs crocked for the 2nd half of the season, but I do think over time a teams luck can certainly change. Officials will feel the pressure indirectly via the managers and media to show greater impartiality and more consistent decision making, and sooner or later they will need to sort out VAR which has been an embarrassment for a country that invented the game and has always prided itself on sporting integrity and fairness.

In the last few weeks alone, we've had Moutinho and Klopp calling out Utd on their penalties and decisions, video of Pogba telling Shaw to dive more, and Rashford openly admitting he's been coached to go down (a bizarre statement after all the positive things he's said and done this year). I think all of that will be in the minds of some of the officials (well, those from outside of the Manchester postcodes), and Klopp has also been planting seeds in his interviews for a few months now about bad decisions, and the FA will know that his words - more than most other managers - resonate around the football world.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:31:39 am by keyop »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2021, 10:29:19 am »
Totally agree.

I'd dearly love us to comfortably despatch them but it NEVER (well, very rarely) seems to work that way hence the stress in the build up.

A first half like this one wouldn’t go amiss.

https://youtu.be/wY3cJwsRttY

I’m definitely in those replays somewhere, especially on the 3rd goal. Used to be about two 5 of the Kemlyn in line with the Annie Road penalty area.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #262 on: January 15, 2021, 10:33:14 am »
Thing is forwards should dive on contact in the box - staying up is almost always a terrible decision.
The problem with it is the idea in the British media that some lads are cheats when they do it and by some lads I mean exclusively Mo Salah

Rashford is a national treasure now as well, got the untouchable status of a World Cup winning England captain who scored the winner in the final.

Compare that to how Salah is treated.

There's going to ground when you're impeded and there's actively looking for contact so you can go down. United are masters at both.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2021, 10:35:05 am »
A first half like this one wouldn’t go amiss.

https://youtu.be/wY3cJwsRttY

I’m definitely in those replays somewhere, especially on the 3rd goal. Used to be about two 5 of the Kemlyn in line with the Annie Road penalty area.
Is that racist booing every time Barnes got the ball? Shameful.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2021, 10:43:30 am »

Can’t prove that. This was just after Italia 90 when he got injured and there was the genera perception that he couldn’t do it for England when he was far and away the best player for the country at the time. Could just be booing because he was feared by them.

Not meaning that as a defence of them in any way, just can’t say it was definitively racist.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2021, 10:45:47 am »

Possible that it was the Mancs jumping on the thick c*nt bandwagon of booing him because he supposedly didn't perform for England - which in itself always had a massive undercurrent of racism to it. Basically just an excuse to boo an elite black footballer while pretending the reason wasn't the colour of his skin.

Fucking hell, that ball by Barnes to McMahon at 3'45. He absolutley killed them that game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:18:29 pm by Smellytrabs »

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2021, 10:49:25 am »
Rashford is a national treasure now as well, got the untouchable status of a World Cup winning England captain who scored the winner in the final.

Compare that to how Salah is treated.

There's going to ground when you're impeded and there's actively looking for contact so you can go down. United are masters at both.

The double standards are vomit inducing. Salah gets slammed in the media for being fouled in the box, Rashford and United are getting applauded for the proactive training in cheating and even publicly admitting to do it. Rashford admits that United proactive speculates in cheating and Clattenburg admits refs favours United. Sunday is gonna be fun :(

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #267 on: January 15, 2021, 10:50:32 am »
Possible that it was the Mancs jumping on the thick c*nt bandwagon of booing him because he supposedly didn't perform for England - which in itself always had a massive undercurrent of racism to it. Basically just an excuse to boo and elite black footballer while pretending the reason wasn't the colour of his skin.

Fucking hell, that ball by Barnes to McMahon at 3'45. He absolutley killed them that game.

Explained that better than I did! Yeah Barnes had Irwin on toast all game watching that again.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2021, 10:51:55 am »
Can’t prove that. This was just after Italia 90 when he got injured and there was the genera perception that he couldn’t do it for England when he was far and away the best player for the country at the time. Could just be booing because he was feared by them.

Not meaning that as a defence of them in any way, just can’t say it was definitively racist.
Fair point.
Anyway - how did that game not end 10-0 to us - what a battering!

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: January 15, 2021, 10:55:04 am »
The double standards are vomit inducing. Salah gets slammed in the media for being fouled in the box, Rashford and United are getting applauded for the proactive training in cheating and even publicly admitting to do it. Rashford admits that United proactive speculates in cheating and Clattenburg admits refs favours United. Sunday is gonna be fun :(

When they do it, it's "clever"...

The real sickener is that both Salah and Mane could justifiably go down a hell of a lot more than they do, but other teams have been briefed that it's OK to kick, hack and wrestle them with impunity.

Oh well, we'll just have to outclass them with football. Injuries or not, we've got the players to do that, and this is one we can be sure we'll be motivated for. Let's get at them.

Offline wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2021, 11:11:05 am »
When they do it, it's "clever"...

The real sickener is that both Salah and Mane could justifiably go down a hell of a lot more than they do, but other teams have been briefed that it's OK to kick, hack and wrestle them with impunity.

When Salah and Mane do it it looks more exaggerated.  I honestly think they're not as adept at appearing to be fouled.  Salah throws his head back and Mane seems to go down just too late...
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #271 on: January 15, 2021, 11:12:52 am »
If we’re clinical and it’s something I think  we lack a lot , we will almost any game

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #272 on: January 15, 2021, 11:28:55 am »
When Salah and Mane do it it looks more exaggerated.  I honestly think they're not as adept at appearing to be fouled.  Salah throws his head back and Mane seems to go down just too late...

It's because they are impeded (sometimes slightly) and then decide to go down (because referees refuse to give penalties if you don't). It's much easier to achieve a 10/10 dive when you initiate the contact yourself.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: January 15, 2021, 11:32:18 am »

My point is they often don't go down at all even when they would be justified in doing so.

Not that it makes any difference - they don't get the calls even when they're rugby tackled.

Offline wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: January 15, 2021, 11:43:30 am »
It's because they are impeded (sometimes slightly) and then decide to go down (because referees refuse to give penalties if you don't). It's much easier to achieve a 10/10 dive when you initiate the contact yourself.
Don't think I've ever seen one of our guys do the initiating contact thing.  Thats for Vardy / Kane / Rashford / Pogba etc.

Offline Red-4-Ever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2021, 11:51:03 am »
Losing this game just doesn't bare thinking about; if the Reds are at full strength I'd be 100% confident of a win...right now considering the CB situation I'd take a draw to stay in touch until the team can get over this rutt though :-\

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2021, 11:54:42 am »
Don't think I've ever seen one of our guys do the initiating contact thing.  Thats for Vardy / Kane / Rashford / Pogba etc.

Salah tried the whole "exaggerating contact" thing a couple of times but was absolutely slaughtered for it in the media and then consequently by the braindead masses who are fed their opinions by MOTD and shite football "banter" pages on Social Media, so I can understand why he doesn't do it more often.

I agree though, can't think of an example of any of our lads throwing themselves into an opponent to win a pen.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2021, 12:31:52 pm »
On the penalty award debate, saw this on Twitter...

9 of the top 12 players in @PremLeaguePanel at winning penalties are English

37 of the 55 penalties “earned” this season have been for fouls on British players, or 67%

Yet only 29% of playing time is by British players

https://twitter.com/SimonBrundish/status/1349721765707186178
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2021, 12:41:02 pm »

37 of the 55 penalties “earned” this season have been for fouls on British players, or 67%

And the remaining 33% is Bruno. :D

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2021, 12:44:38 pm »
Salah tried the whole "exaggerating contact" thing a couple of times but was absolutely slaughtered for it in the media and then consequently by the braindead masses who are fed their opinions by MOTD and shite football "banter" pages on Social Media, so I can understand why he doesn't do it more often.

I agree though, can't think of an example of any of our lads throwing themselves into an opponent to win a pen.

Mané got some grief for the Leicester penalty last season but I think the timing and game situation was the main reason for that. From memory it fell in the ‘clever’ side of things. He did get his leg in the way, was it Albrighton who caught him after dallying with his clearance.

The only other dodgy one either he or Mo have had I can think of was Mo against Newcastle on Boxing Day a couple of years ago. That was about all it took for him to get the cheat tag.