Author Topic: Spurs: fucking useless  (Read 2607055 times)

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Spurs
« Reply #5720 on: May 22, 2017, 11:07:40 am »
Well done Spurs, been a very good season for them while I always appreciate a team who tries to play nice football, they found a system that worked for them way way earlier then we did and I know a few people who will be happy to see a good Spurs team again. Feels a bit like that Fa Cup semi final was a big chance to grab a trophy pre the move and it may be awhile before another chance comes due to going to Wembley then new staduim, needing to adapt to the grounds plus the restrictions on transfer funds (mind you, felt the biggest weakpoint of their manager so might be a good thing :P) so I expect a few seasons battling for 4th.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #5721 on: May 22, 2017, 11:51:34 am »
Very good team, Spurs, as much as some don't want to admit it.

Whether they can keep it together and build on it is another question. Pivotal summer coming up.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #5722 on: May 22, 2017, 12:05:46 pm »
I just hope Poch gets poached by a big club asap though he looks like he is staying there for the long time. This Spurs team is impressive under him and so was his Saints team.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #5723 on: May 22, 2017, 12:07:57 pm »
Could go either way I think. At Everton, I think the physical profile he has is much more solid and I think in a more pressing style set up, he'll be forced to lose some of the extra muscle to gain a bit more explosive speed. That might actually help Barkley as he's got the ability and physicality as it is without being as thick-necked as he is these days. Of course, he might not take to the pressing game at all and just blow it entirely.

Maybe Poch is lining him up to replace Walker :D

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #5724 on: May 22, 2017, 12:12:53 pm »
Spurs are really lucky in the sense that the only key person you could see leaving is Poch. I can't see Alli or Kane or Erikssen banging down the door to leave, they seem really settled and I think they sense they are on the verge of something special.

I don't think Poch would walk away either, he will want to win a trophy/trophies in England to prove he is at that very top level. Winning a big one with Spurs would be a phenomenal achievement - a bigger achievement than doing it at a Madrid or PSG or Barcelona IMO.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #5725 on: May 22, 2017, 12:16:32 pm »
Finished strong, didn't down tools, 86 points very impressive...won fuck all again. Think they've hit their ceiling to be honest.

Offline Thelittlesthobo

• "Maybe tomorrow, I’ll find what I call home. Until tomorrow, you know I’m free to roam."
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5726 on: May 22, 2017, 03:08:26 pm »
Another happy'ish Spurs fan here.  It could have been better but in the grand scheme of things this is another step up for Spurs.  Long may it continue. 

Its been a season of breaking down barriers for spurs.  Points total, defeats, home record, goals scored, conceded etc etc.  It all points to stability that we can again build from.  Even if we stood still with the current squad we would still expect to naturally improve due to the ages of our players and general maturity.

I see the following more than likely moving and raising a transfer kitty

Walker - Ł35-40m
Wimmer - Ł7-10m
Bentaleb - Ł15-20m
Sissoko - Whatever we can get.  Bag of crisps and a curly wurly

Bentaleb has already agreed his move whilst being on a successful loan spell back in Germany.  IMO he will come back to haunt us a bit like Kevin Prince Boateng at AC Milan.

Wimmer is a solid defender and it wouldn't surprise me if a PL club takes him
Walker will go to Man City but not sure how much we can get for him.

So say we get Ł70 for all of them that's going to hopefully get us a nice new striker and whatever else MP wants (I think its Zaha).  Personally I don't particularly want Barkley.  We have Winks to come back who was looking brilliant potential.  Maybe even Lamela can get fit again and do something.

There is plenty of scope for starting next season with Trippier to replace Walker and not changing much else.  A couple of players to add to the depth and we should be relying on MP coaching on Wembley permanently rather than once every few months to get the players ready.

Next season is going to be strange.  Chelsea had the benefit of no Europe and they reckon upto 30% more coaching time to drill his players.  Next season every one of the top teams are going to need full squads, to compete at home and abroad.  This may just help having a level playing field.

Good luck to Liverpool, my son loves them and we were both happy at the weekend. 

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #5727 on: May 22, 2017, 03:34:12 pm »
Next season is going to be strange.  Chelsea had the benefit of no Europe and they reckon upto 30% more coaching time to drill his players.  Next season every one of the top teams are going to need full squads, to compete at home and abroad.  This may just help having a level playing field.

True, this. Strength of squad is more likely than ever to make the difference next season, with potentially five clubs in the Champions League, and quite honestly, given the competitiveness of the Premier League now for the top four places, no English club in a position to take the Europa League lightly.

Lots of work to do in that regard for us, Chelsea and yourselves in particular.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5728 on: May 22, 2017, 06:31:14 pm »
What's the position with tickets at Wembley? WHL has a capacity of just over 36,000; Wembley capacity is 90,000. Could Spurs potentially only be selling about half of the stadium? And what about the rest of the tickets? There could be as many away fans as home fans there.
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5729 on: May 22, 2017, 08:01:07 pm »
What's the position with tickets at Wembley? WHL has a capacity of just over 36,000; Wembley capacity is 90,000. Could Spurs potentially only be selling about half of the stadium? And what about the rest of the tickets? There could be as many away fans as home fans there.

More likely to be filled with tourists I'd have thought. Probably cheaper than a night at the theatre in the West End!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5730 on: May 22, 2017, 09:25:29 pm »
Judging by their last two away games, they will compensate with an improvement to their away record.

6-1 and 7-1. Mighty impressive that. Quality side.

Judging by 2 games where the 3 teams involved had nothing to play for? They were glorified friendlies. We beat Barcelona 4-0 last summer.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5731 on: May 22, 2017, 09:44:52 pm »
Spurs are really lucky in the sense that the only key person you could see leaving is Poch. I can't see Alli or Kane or Erikssen banging down the door to leave, they seem really settled and I think they sense they are on the verge of something special.

I don't think Poch would walk away either, he will want to win a trophy/trophies in England to prove he is at that very top level. Winning a big one with Spurs would be a phenomenal achievement - a bigger achievement than doing it at a Madrid or PSG or Barcelona IMO.

Ali has done a interview recently were he stated he wants to challenge for trophies. While he maybe happy to stay in the short-term he made it clear he had ambitions to play abroad as well. That is why they have to start challening properly for honours, they won't keep the likes of Ali if they don't.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5732 on: May 24, 2017, 12:10:32 am »
I reckon Spurs are due a disruption, whether it be adjusting to the new stadium, having a key player nicked, transfers not panning out, or injuries they can't cover, I think the next couple of seasons could be very trying for them.
Not saying they won't come through it, but if, by the time they do, their team could look a lot different than it does today.

Money wise, them and us are the weakest of the pack, so we feel anything that goes wrong harder.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5733 on: May 24, 2017, 06:19:23 am »
Money wise, them and us are the weakest of the pack, so we feel anything that goes wrong harder.
I wouldn't go that far, the gap between us and them is currently around Ł100m in revenue and the other 4 are closer to us than that. Let's be honest City's is financial doping as well.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #5734 on: May 24, 2017, 07:38:23 am »
Some games the upper tier won't be open bringing it to 50k (think we will have 40k+ season tickets) . Will sell out but at Wembley I expect to see gaps as it's a bastard to get away from and some st holders will skip games and some will have bought this year to guarantee next year's

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5735 on: May 25, 2017, 03:46:15 am »
I'd say Real would want him instead of Benzema.

Mbappe methinks.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5736 on: May 25, 2017, 01:59:11 pm »
I wouldn't go that far, the gap between us and them is currently around Ł100m in revenue and the other 4 are closer to us than that. Let's be honest City's is financial doping as well.

Ł100m without the new stand (+Ł30m) or CL (+Ł20m over Europa).

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5737 on: May 26, 2017, 06:06:38 pm »

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #5738 on: May 27, 2017, 07:29:48 pm »
poor Spurs, overshadowed again by Arsenal, and on their home ground too!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5739 on: May 27, 2017, 07:30:10 pm »
First time finishing above them in a generation, yet still Arsenal have a more successful season  :lmao
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5740 on: May 27, 2017, 07:32:28 pm »
Always in Arsenal's shadow no matter what they do hahah

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5741 on: May 27, 2017, 07:36:57 pm »
Question for all: Would you rather have us finished 5th but won the FA Cup, or finish 2nd with no cup but challenging for the title right until the end whilst breaking our points total for a single season in the process?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5742 on: May 27, 2017, 07:38:39 pm »
Question for all: Would you rather have us finished 5th but won the FA Cup, or finish 2nd with no cup but challenging for the title right until the end whilst breaking our points total for a single season in the process?

Oooh good question.

Not really relevant in this thread though, because Spurs didn't challenge for the title at any point let alone right until the end.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5743 on: May 27, 2017, 07:39:56 pm »
Oooh good question.

Not really relevant in this thread though, because Spurs didn't challenge for the title at any point let alone right until the end.

They were Chelsea's nearest challengers until 2-3 weeks before the end. You get my point.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #5744 on: May 27, 2017, 07:40:08 pm »
Of course it'd be 2nd. I think a lot of what is said about 'successful season' misses the individual context of each club. We've been outside the CL for absolute ages (2014 hardly counts) and we need to be 'up there'. 'Up there' is determined by the league and not the cup. I suspect the same applies to Spurs, who want to consolidate themselves as a top club in the league.

Now, Arsenal have been making CL for 20 years and being absolute shite in it for the last 6 or so. If they hadn't won 2 FA Cups in the last 3 years then I'd be comfortable in saying this would have been a more successful season compared to another 4th place and no trophy. As it stands, for Arsenal, I'm not sure.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5745 on: May 27, 2017, 07:49:10 pm »

whats the points total got to do with anything? What an odd post.

They didn't win it and didnt even lead the league did they? Not the best challenge.

I'd rather win the FA cup and be 5th any time. It's a major trophy.

Only cup and league finish I wouldn't take above finishing in the CL places, would be league cup I guess.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5746 on: May 27, 2017, 07:50:06 pm »
They were Chelsea's nearest challengers until 2-3 weeks before the end. You get my point.

If you said at the start of the season, you can win the FA Cup and finish 5th or finish 2nd but not really threaten the team who wins the league, then honestly I'd take the FA Cup.

And that's for us.

For Spurs?! They haven't won a trophy in decades.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5747 on: May 27, 2017, 07:51:16 pm »
If you said at the start of the season, you can win the FA Cup and finish 5th or finish 2nd but not really threaten the team who wins the league, then honestly I'd take the FA Cup.

And that's for us.

For Spurs?! They haven't won a trophy in decades.

I'd hope it'd be for everyone, it's a major trophy.

But I guess this is what football has become for many, finishing in the CL places is seen as more important than winning a major cup.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5748 on: May 27, 2017, 07:52:23 pm »

They didn't win it and didnt even lead the league did they? Not the best challenge.

Only cup and league finish I wouldn't take above finishing in the CL places, would be league cup I guess.

Yeah - agree with that.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5749 on: May 27, 2017, 07:56:08 pm »
I'd hope it'd be for everyone, it's a major trophy.

But I guess this is what football has become for many, finishing in the CL places is seen as more important than winning a major cup.

Its much like the United vs Liverpool season.

I'm much happier being in our position going forward than them, and I'd much rather be a Spurs fan moving forward than an Arsenal fan. But Arsenal won a trophy, and they didn't.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5750 on: May 27, 2017, 08:02:16 pm »

That's also an odd thing to say. Our objective is to win trophies, obviously. But an even bigger objective is to win the league, the only trophy we haven't won in 27+ years.

Spurs and ourselves are quite a ways behind the spending powers of City, Chelsea, United and probably even Arsenal. Any season spent out of the top 4 and the Champions League and all it brings is a major setback, which would obviously be a setback in terms of our bigger goal as well: winning the league. Swap places with Arsenal and sure, an FA Cup win would be great but I'd still consider it a bittersweet season in terms of long-term ramifications such as potential player recruitment in the summer and keeping pace with the teams above us.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #5751 on: May 27, 2017, 08:06:07 pm »
Should change it up to allow FA Cup winner a Champion league spot. Still glad we got 4th, like.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5752 on: May 27, 2017, 08:29:45 pm »

It really depends on the overall situation at the club. In our position, finishing 4th is much better than finishing 5th and winning the FA Cup. Our club and our team is at a point of it's development when we need the Champions League football (and the Champions League money) in order to attract those 2 or 3 players of top quality that would catapult us even closer to the top.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5753 on: May 27, 2017, 08:30:51 pm »
Heh  :D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5754 on: May 27, 2017, 08:31:17 pm »
Are they the Everton of the South?  :D

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5755 on: May 27, 2017, 08:36:51 pm »
It really depends on the overall situation at the club. In our position, finishing 4th is much better than finishing 5th and winning the FA Cup. Our club and our team is at a point of it's development when we need the Champions League football (and the Champions League money) in order to attract those 2 or 3 players of top quality that would catapult us even closer to the top.

Right. And it's a pertinent question only to ourselves, Tottenham, and now perhaps even Arsenal who can't compete financially with the others. They may say that one season out of it is just a blip, but we said the same thing 7 years ago as well. You just won't be attracting top class players no matter how much money you throw at them if your competitors offer similar amounts of money but Champions League football as well, and Arsenal are about to find that out.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5756 on: May 27, 2017, 08:38:10 pm »
Weve won the league at Spurs before, now weve won the cup at Spurs too.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5757 on: May 27, 2017, 10:37:02 pm »
Weve also robbed Spurs of a chance to play in the community shield.
Would be weird to be there without winning anything anyway.

Offline My Original Username Back

• Kopite
« Reply #5758 on: May 29, 2017, 03:07:55 pm »
Weve also robbed Spurs of a chance to play in the community shield.
Would be weird to be there without winning anything anyway.

Great. Enjoy the Europa League next season  :wave

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5759 on: May 29, 2017, 03:10:36 pm »
Great. Enjoy the Europa League next season  :wave

I hope we do better than you did.
By the way, that thing we lifted on Saturday, it's called a trophy. In case you were wondering.