Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1046310 times)

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
Saw he was trending on the Twitter that evening. Divided opinion for certain.

Heard him on the Big Bash before thought he was ok but then they all shout a bit.

Didn't hear him the other night. Plenty of bants, no doubt.

He doesn't talk, he shouts, constantly. Comes across like a big excited kid, guess he is a nice guy but as a commentator he just got on my nerves.
He should stick to travelling around in his fish van.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
He'll be a broken man now he can no longer wank himself into oblivion with screams of "ROOOOOOOOONNNNEEEEYYYYY!"

Clive Tyldsley & MartIn Tyler have probably gone into mourning now thar Rooney has left, no longer able to scream ROOOOOOOOONNNNNEEEEEYYYYYYY. ;D
#Sausages

Offline jarode

• Main Stander
Ray Wilkins & Lawro  joint top of the twat leader board!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Another presenter that's criminally underused is Gary Imlach, currently presenting the Tour De France over on ITV 4, very knowledgeable also knows his NFL too.
#Sausages

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
Fartin Cryler
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
My word!

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
The co-commentator on C4 para-athletics is classic Partridge-style OTT, anyone know her name ?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
The co-commentator on C4 para-athletics is classic Partridge-style OTT, anyone know her name ?

I think it's Katherine Merry.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf

Other than bring called "Butch" and playing for Chelsea and United what has Wilkins done to deserve such ignominy?

Offline jarode

• Main Stander
Other than bring called "Butch" and playing for Chelsea and United what has Wilkins done to deserve such ignominy?

I can remember Butch saying he would "like to see Milan win" when we played them in a Champions League final. He is normally Mr patriotic wasn't that night, haven't liked him ever since!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
I can remember Butch saying he would "like to see Milan win" when we played them in a Champions League final. He is normally Mr patriotic wasn't that night, haven't liked him ever since!

My word, what a bellend.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Ray "the lads" Wilkins.
"Jt" lamps" "didier" , fuck off.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The little fat talker of shite Alan Brazil got my vote, and while I'm here I demand Alan Shearer is removed from the list . . . . you Muppets.    :P

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
OMG. Dean Saunders thinks we should sell Phil and get Juan Mata as a replacement. Dean there is a reason why you never made it as a manager, and this statement kind of highlights the reason.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
“£100million sell him,” Saunders told talkSPORT.

“For me, he’s replaceable. You could sign Isco for £30million. He’s not going to get a game at Real Madrid.

“Juan Mata, Sigurdsson - there are players you could sign to replace Coutinho.

--------------

So much wrong there. Isco for 30m! Mata and Sigurdsson as replacements.

He's a bit mad.

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
There's an article about Coutinho on the BBC website. Lawro has contributed his particular brand of toxic waste. I can't think of a club legend I dislike more. I have issues with Ronnie Whelan and Souness but they seem to genuinely love the club. Lawro is so fucking bitter about everything.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
There's an article about Coutinho on the BBC website. Lawro has contributed his particular brand of toxic waste. I can't think of a club legend I dislike more. I have issues with Ronnie Whelan and Souness but they seem to genuinely love the club. Lawro is so fucking bitter about everything.

The thing that really makes me laugh is the ones who are saying we should get rid, are the first ones to complain when we don't get success. Does it not even occur to them that getting rid of your best players is not the best way, to become successful? Or am I missing a trick here.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

I went right off Lawro after the protest for the 96 against Arsenal in the FA Cup think Jan 06, Larwo's comments after that was over was, "can we get on with the football now"  :no :wanker :butt
#Sausages

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The thing that really makes me laugh is the ones who are saying we should get rid, are the first ones to complain when we don't get success. Does it not even occur to them that getting rid of your best players is not the best way, to become successful? Or am I missing a trick here.

That knobhead Danny Murphy is now pushing for him to be sold as well. He reckons £80 million is good business and we could get someone in who could double, or even triple, Coutinho's goal and assist output for a similar amount.  Crucially though he's very quiet on who that player might actually be, no names given whatsoever. Or indeed if such a player exists why Barcelona aren't going him instead.

The only reason I can think of for Murphy saying this is it makes his job easier this season. If Liverpool aren't playing well in a game he's commentating on there's no need for him to try and delve into set ups or tactical analysis he can just wave a hand and say "they're missing Coutinho's influence".  If Liverpool go through a slump he'll be on Match of the Day saying "they never really replaced Coutinho's goals and creativity" + an excuse to have a go at the new signing(s), whilst Jermaine Jenas sagely nods along.  Of course if Liverpool do well they he can just say someone is "flourishing in the absence of Coutinho/relishing the opportunity".  Lazy twat.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
That knobhead Danny Murphy is now pushing for him to be sold as well. He reckons £80 million is good business and we could get someone in who could double, or even triple, Coutinho's goal and assist output for a similar amount.  Crucially though he's very quiet on who that player might actually be, no names given whatsoever. Or indeed if such a player exists why Barcelona aren't going him instead.

The only reason I can think of for Murphy saying this is it makes his job easier this season. If Liverpool aren't playing well in a game he's commentating on there's no need for him to try and delve into set ups or tactical analysis he can just wave a hand and say "they're missing Coutinho's influence".  If Liverpool go through a slump he'll be on Match of the Day saying "they never really replaced Coutinho's goals and creativity" + an excuse to have a go at the new signing(s), whilst Jermaine Jenas sagely nods along.  Of course if Liverpool do well they he can just say someone is "flourishing in the absence of Coutinho/relishing the opportunity".  Lazy twat.

He certainly is a prick. A few seconds research shows how many goals and assists he had last season. Tripling his input is Messi territory.
Maybe we should have a poll for the ex Liverpool player who is the biggest twat.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan

I just can't take Murphy serious at all, his latest gem the fact that Ali is better than Coutinho.  ::) That just about says it all.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
I just can't take Murphy serious at all, his latest gem the fact that Ali is better than Coutinho.  ::) That just about says it all.
I think you could make a good case for it.

Ali has been magnificent for the last couple of years.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
I think you could make a good case for it.

Ali has been magnificent for the last couple of years.

I'm not saying he's not a good player obviously, but I don't remember him being sparkling against us last season. Also if he is so much better how come the Barca's of the world are not looking to sign him?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*

Why is that so funny? They're both brilliant players but Alli is four years younger yet has a higher G+A output in his only two PL seasons.

Do we really have to call Murphy a "prick" and a "nobhead" for having opinions? It's so distasteful about players who were successful for us.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:13:15 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
When it comes to selecting pundits I don't think any other sports channel could have done a worse job than ESPN. Nicol, Marriner, Burley, Hyslop and that no-mark Mexican fella, have got to be the worst group of pundits assembled together on TV. And there is BT Sports cancelling the European Football Show.  :butt
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Why is that so funny? They're both brilliant players but Alli is four years younger yet has a higher G+A output in his only two PL seasons.

Was I laughing? My general point was Murphy is obsessed about slagging off foreign players and loving English ones, as is his nature. Yes Ali is a good player and providing he continues to progress there is every chance he'll be outstanding. But he's not there yet, he still has a lot to learn. If I was made to choose between him and Coutinho I would pick Phil everytime, this far. He can do things that Ali cannot, so for me the choice is obvious. But as ever everyone's opinions are different.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
Was I laughing? My general point was Murphy is obsessed about slagging off foreign players and loving English ones, as is his nature. Yes Ali is a good player and providing he continues to progress there is every chance he'll be outstanding. But he's not there yet, he still has a lot to learn. If I was made to choose between him and Coutinho I would pick Phil everytime, this far. He can do things that Ali cannot, so for me the choice is obvious. But as ever everyone's opinions are different.

I would have Coutinho too because I think his overall influence on games is larger. But maybe where Murphy as a pro-British view in your opinion, you have an anti-English one? Because they're not worlds apart as your last post implied. You seriously don't see Alli attracting Barca/Real in a couple of years if he carries on the way he's playing?

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm not saying he's not a good player obviously, but I don't remember him being sparkling against us last season. Also if he is so much better how come the Barca's of the world are not looking to sign him?

I don't think it's that outrageous a call from Murphy personally. Alli is certainly more of a goal threat than Coutinho at the moment anyway. Also, Coutinho wasn't sparkling in every game either. Plus, Barca don't target English players. In fact, I don't think they've had an English player since Gary Lineker. They've always tended to go for South American players. Especially ones with lots of flair. It's what their fans want and expect.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:22:00 pm by Lycan »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
I would have Coutinho too because I think his overall influence on games is larger. But maybe where Murphy as a pro-British view in your opinion, you have an anti-English one? Because they're not worlds apart as your last post implied. You seriously don't see Alli attracting Barca/Real in a couple of years if he carries on the way he's playing?

No I am not an anti-English poster, I'm English after all. But you know the game has been full of over hyped English talents in the past. Yet did the golden generation actually achieve anything? Before you get on your high horse I'm not suggesting Ali is over-hyped. I just think having two good seasons does not indicate that he is a top, top player yet. It depends entirely on Ali how good he turns out to be, all they have to start doing is to believe in the over the top hype that the media sprout, and it can all go to pot very quickly. That is my point for now he is a fantastic prospect, but he's not on the radar of Barca etc yet, that's the next journey he has to undertake.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
No I am not an anti-English poster, I'm English after all. But you know the game has been full of over hyped English talents in the past. Yet did the golden generation actually achieve anything? Before you get on your high horse I'm not suggesting Ali is over-hyped. I just think having two good seasons does not indicate that he is a top, top player yet. It depends entirely on Ali how good he turns out to be, all they have to start doing is to believe in the over the top hype that the media sprout, and it can all go to pot very quickly. That is my point for now he is a fantastic prospect, but he's not on the radar of Barca etc yet, that's the next journey he has to undertake.

Depends how you define a "top, top player" I guess. At least you've confirmed you're not anti-English with Harry Redknapp talk like that  ;)  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
I don't think it's that outrageous a call from Murphy personally. Alli is certainly more of a goal threat than Coutinho at the moment anyway. Also, Coutinho wasn't sparkling in every game either. Plus, Barca don't target English players. In fact, I don't think they've had an English player since Gary Lineker. They've always tended to go for South American players. Especially ones with lots of flair. It's what their fans want and expect.

Like I said everyone has an opinion, I respect yours. But if I had the choice I would still pick Phil rather than Ali. I just prefer players with flair.  But it will be interesting to see if Ali can get better season on season, maybe we need to look at this again in a couple of seasons time.  :)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Depends how you define a "top, top player" I guess. At least you've confirmed you're not anti-English with Harry Redknapp talk like that  ;)  ;D

To tell you the truth I couldn't care less about the England national team, it screws Liverpool up too much for my liking.  ;D

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Murphy has obviously been a bit of a xenophobe for a while, his comments when leaving us gives a good hint.

Decent player for us but don't think anybody missed him.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Like I said everyone has an opinion, I respect yours. But if I had the choice I would still pick Phil rather than Ali. I just prefer players with flair.  But it will be interesting to see if Ali can get better season on season, maybe we need to look at this again in a couple of seasons time.  :)

And I wouldn't wanna swap him for Phil either. Just don't think Murphy should be called out for thinking Alli is better. Even if he is a bit of a dick. I can see why he might think that and it's not such an outrageous claim.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:34:17 pm by Lycan »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
And I wouldn't wanna swap him for Phil either. Just don't think Murphy should be attacked for thinking Alli is better. Even if he is a bit of a dick. I can see why he might think that and it's not such an outrageous claim.

I was actually basing the original post on the point that in the past Murphy has been xenophobe in the past with regard to players who are not English. I'm not saying he's wrong in thinking Ali is better its a game of opinions after all. But considering some of Murphy's past comments on foreign managers and players, I don't think it's an unfair opinion to have. I hope its clearer.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
You seriously don't see Alli attracting Barca/Real in a couple of years if he carries on the way he's playing?

No chance. Especially Barca who have always operated in a 433.

He's a great goalscorer from midfield, but to be playing for those sort of clubs, you need to be offering more than that as an attacking midfielder.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Alli better than Phil is an outrageous claim. The prioritising of outcomes without looking at what underlies it is a curse of the English view of football. At least, that's my observation from the outside. It's always about how far a pass is hit, how many goals etc. Never about the finer details about how many people a 10 metre pass took out of the game for example. And yeah, it is absolutely outrageous to claim Dele Alli is better than Phil and that comes from someone that thinks Dele Alli is a blindingly good player.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I was actually basing the original post on the point that in the past Murphy has been xenophobe in the past with regard to players who are not English. I'm not saying he's wrong in thinking Ali is better its a game of opinions after all. But considering some of Murphy's past comments on foreign managers and players, I don't think it's an unfair opinion to have. I hope its clearer.

Fair enough Jill.  :)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
No chance. Especially Barca who have always operated in a 433.

He's a great goalscorer from midfield, but to be playing for those sort of clubs, you need to be offering more than that as an attacking midfielder.

Yeah I can see that with Barca but I think Real Madrid would certainly be sniffing about if he carries on scoring 15-20 a season.

I do wonder how much some actually watch Alli rather than just looking at his numbers? He seems to be spoken about as a better version of a Kev Nolan/Tim Cahill type on here. Jillic said he prefers Phil because he likes players with flair, yet Alli has absolutely bags of it. His first touch is exceptional, his interplay is very good (loves that little trick with his instep back to goal to work a shot for a team-mate on the 1-2) and his technique is clearly excellent. I'm not sure I've seen an attacking midfielder so good at those ghosting runs at his age either and he presses very well.

Sure, he needs to get involved in the build-up play more to get to that next level, but it's probably partly Pochettino's intructions for him to stay as high as possible to stretch teams (similarly to Gerrard under Rafa, yet we all knew there was more to his game than that as he showed as a deeper-lying midfielder under Houllier & Rodgers). They've got Eriksen to build the play more. Maybe Alli will never be that player, but Lampard got a hell of a lot better with his passing as he got older, and Alli's a much more talented footballer than him.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:48:47 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Yeah I can see that with Barca but I think Real Madrid would certainly be sniffing about if he carries on scoring 15-20 a season.

I do wonder how much some actually watch Alli rather than just looking at his numbers? He seems to be spoken about as a better version of a Kev Nolan/Tim Cahill type on here. Jillic said he prefers Phil because he likes players with flair, yet Alli has absolutely bags of it. His first touch is exceptional, his interplay is very good (loves that little trick with his instep back to goal to work a shot for a team-mate on the 1-2) and his technique is clearly excellent. I'm not sure I've seen an attacking midfielder so good at those ghosting runs at his age either and he presses very well.

Sure, he needs to get involved in the build-up play more to get to that next level, but it's probably partly Pochettino's intructions for him to stay as high as possible to stretch teams (similarly to Gerrard under Rafa, yet we all knew there was more to his game than that as he showed as a deeper-lying midfielder under Houllier & Rodgers). They've got Eriksen to build the play more. Maybe Alli will never be that player, but Lampard got a hell of a lot better with his passing as he got older, and Alli's a much more talented footballer than him.

He has actually indicated that he would like to play abroad at some stage. I read an interview with him I don't think he lacks ambition, which is good to see. It's an interesting situation with Spurs, while they've done well they still haven't won anything. If this continues and Ali continues to improve, maybe he will move sooner rather than later. Moving abroad would bring him on even more, especially if he is playing with better players.,