Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 387686 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Daniel Sturridge in decline: Speed statistics highlight the problem
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 04:15:58 pm »
I still think we lose to much by playing Daniel Sturridge, his output over the last couple of games doesn't justify playing him centrally.

Yeah maybe, but then I'd be pretty hesitant to make that sort of judgement on a clearly talented player because he's woefully out of form and has been chucked into a woefully out of form team full of either players lacking match fitness or are woefully out of form!

Unless we're suggesting Sturridge playing alone has completely destroyed the form of the likes of Lallana, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Milner, Clyne etc.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 04:21:38 pm »
Yeah maybe, but then I'd be pretty hesitant to make that sort of judgement on a clearly talented player because he's woefully out of form and has been chucked into a woefully out of form team full of either players lacking match fitness or are woefully out of form!

Unless we're suggesting Sturridge playing alone has completely destroyed the form of the likes of Lallana, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Milner, Clyne etc.

Henderson , Milner , Clyne don't for me make up the attacking part of our play, while they contribute to it I don't class them as our attacking threat. Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho , Mane do.

We lost Coutinho and Mane, fair enough, Coutinho is now back and Mane is still away. At our most threatening, we had Coutinho - Firmino - Mane that front 3 with Lallana in the middle behind? I think we can all agree that was our best formation and while everyone shifted around a bit it was generally that. When we play Sturridge Central we shift either Lallana out wide or Firmino, and play Coutinho centrally. We've done that the past 2/3 games. What that means for me is we're sacrificing 2 or 3 players to accommodate Sturridge in the middle. It's not showing any benefits.

Offline LJA

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 04:28:43 pm »
No one cared how slow he was last season because he was better than a goal every two games.

He's barely featured or scored half a season on and now his future is over. I don't get that. ???

I feel desperately sad for him, the spotlight is never not on him and to certain people he will always be lazy, broken and should be 'binned'. It will be horrible if he does leave.  :'(

Lot's of people were commenting on him losing his pace last year and he wasn't great last season either. Unless I'm remembering it wrong, he was behind Origi in the pecking order last year.

He was my favourite player but he hasn't looked good for a while now. He either won't or physically can't put in the work that is required while on the pitch. The was one point against Southampton, the ball looked like it might go out for a throw in. He was casually jogging and then stopped (assuming it was going out) while a defender ran past him and kept it in. This was with 7 minutes to go.  His lack of running drives me mad. He is playing like he is 37 years old in the last year of his career, not 27 years old who should be in his prime.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:30:18 pm by LJA »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 05:02:00 pm »
Lot's of people were commenting on him losing his pace last year and he wasn't great last season either. Unless I'm remembering it wrong, he was behind Origi in the pecking order last year.

He was my favourite player but he hasn't looked good for a while now. He either won't or physically can't put in the work that is required while on the pitch. The was one point against Southampton, the ball looked like it might go out for a throw in. He was casually jogging and then stopped (assuming it was going out) while a defender ran past him and kept it in. This was with 7 minutes to go.  His lack of running drives me mad. He is playing like he is 37 years old in the last year of his career, not 27 years old who should be in his prime.

Last season he had just come back from his longest ever stint of injuries, despite that he managed 13 goals in 25 appearances... many of which were as a sub. Not sure how that means he 'wasn't great', if anything it demonstrates how class he is.
:D

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2017, 05:32:13 pm »
I still think we lose to much by playing Daniel Sturridge, his output over the last couple of games doesn't justify playing him centrally.

It's not like he is starting every game.. He started against Plymouth, Sunderland, and Southampton recently. 1 goal from the 3 games. And got into good positions to score more. Not a bad return from someone who's going through the worst form of his career.

Rest assured, for the bigger games, Klopp will stick with Firmino up top. As you mentioned earlier, even I am perplexed as to why Klopp hasn't tried out Origi in place of Mane. I am totally against playing players out of their natural position. But if we have to, keep the changes at a minimum.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2017, 05:38:51 pm »
The thing is he shouldn't need to be playing centrally. He was Chelsea's best player from the right wing before it went wrong in the season they had Villas Boas. The problem is he left them because of that, so he refuses to move out wide and just ends up hovering outside the box linking up play that leads to nothing because we've got too many players through the middle. If he stuck to the position he's been told to play in he'd get more chances, Mane's proven that.

What I'm saying is he has the guile to play that right forward position but the way it's going right now he'll be out the door if he doesn't adapt to the team.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:40:37 pm by thelinnen »
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 07:06:27 pm »
Does his declining pace matter that much? Watch his goals for us:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vyUgEdc1bcc

There's not many where he's tearing clear of defenders. Owen scored loads of his goals that way, as an example, but Sturridge's game has been built on speed of thought on quality movement, not just pace. Plus the way we're going, he'll never have space to run into again anyway, as everyone parks the old bus!

Yes he's not as a quick as he was, but I don't think it need be a disaster either.

Exactly. Berbatov was the highest goal scorer in 2010/11. You don't have to be the quickest to score goals. Just the desire to get into goal scoring positions and good finishing skills. Even in yesterday's game Sturridge got into good positions to score. Had two decent shots which on another day would have buried them. Also, Sturridge was almost in the best place possible to get the rebound from Emre Can's shot. Credit to Forster for punching it over so Sturridge wouldn't get a chance.

Main thing Sturridge lacking now is the confidence and the spark/creativity he had few years ago. Just look at the goal he scored against Sevilla in the final. Outside of the foot when no one expected him to score from there with that sort of technique. Going further back, the goals in 13/14 season. The different range of goals the first 3 games. First one was with his left foot which he is most comfortable with. 2nd one dribbling past few players and then shooting with his right foot. The 3rd goal against United was a smart header. Few other goals that come to mind is that chipped goal against WBA or that goal against Stoke City (Away) when he missed the first tap in but still didn't give up and got another chance to find the back of the net. All this just comes with confidence. Look at Andy Carroll in the last few games. Few header goals to get confidence back and then goes on to score worldies. Maybe that's what Sturridge needs. Hopefully, a good performance and a goal or two against Hull tomorrow and maybe, just maybe, he has a good rest of the season.

Most of us agree that Sturridge is a quality player. Few years ago, when most football fans thought about LFC, the first thought that came to mind was usally SaS. Teams feared that duo. Now when someone thinks of LFC, what comes to mind, besides the abysmal defense, is the brilliance of Coutinho, Mane,  Lallana and Firmino. To simply put it, if this thought doesn't include Sturridge around the next few months, then Sturridge is definitely gone in the summer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:08:57 pm by amirani »

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2017, 07:13:10 pm »

So we're measuring purely on whether he scores or not?
Because in the league cup semi final he was in the right place for the 2 best chances we had.

Carraghers comment is the worst kind of football commentary... its your dad down the pub analysis - take the most extreme, binary line (they're all either pele or they're trash)
It's a shame because when Carragher started he felt pressure to be good - as time has gone on his comments have become more and more extreme in search of clicks / attention it seems

The idea that if a striker doesn't score they're not contributing is pretty simplistic and pretty obviously wrong. Their job is to create opportunities for themselves and others. When the ball goes in the ol' onion bag for them and when it doesn't comes and goes.
Carraghers and your opinion implies it goes.... 'did they score?' ... they didn't .. right then did they tackle anyone? did they run around a lot?

Describing him as a passenger was not only pretty insulting it was also, after he often found space only for our midfield and full backs failed to find him and also had the two best chances of the game doesn't cut it.
If the ball on either of his chances hits a different part of his foot by a couple of inches he scores and Carragher doesn't make the comment..... which would be equally terrible analysis.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2017, 07:21:20 pm »
So we're measuring purely on whether he scores or not?
Because in the league cup semi final he was in the right place for the 2 best chances we had.

Carraghers comment is the worst kind of football commentary... its your dad down the pub analysis - take the most extreme, binary line (they're all either pele or they're trash)
It's a shame because when Carragher started he felt pressure to be good - as time has gone on his comments have become more and more extreme in search of clicks / attention it seems

The idea that if a striker doesn't score they're not contributing is pretty simplistic and pretty obviously wrong. Their job is to create opportunities for themselves and others. When the ball goes in the ol' onion bag for them and when it doesn't comes and goes.
Carraghers and your opinion implies it goes.... 'did they score?' ... they didn't .. right then did they tackle anyone? did they run around a lot?

Describing him as a passenger was not only pretty insulting it was also, after he often found space only for our midfield and full backs failed to find him and also had the two best chances of the game doesn't cut it.
If the ball on either of his chances hits a different part of his foot by a couple of inches he scores and Carragher doesn't make the comment..... which would be equally terrible analysis.

I don't think he had a bad game and I agree with what you have said there expect that bit. The ball does not hit his foot, His foot hits the ball, he is in control. First one was a sitter second one is a difficult chance coming over his shoulder inbetween two defenders.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2017, 07:38:02 pm »
He has been ineffective this season but I don't think he is done just yet.

Don't think he has played well on his own up front however in a lot of his time here. His natural instinct is to get involved with the play and that maybe hinders our options.

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 08:09:04 pm »
My two cents.Clearly he's out of form.Why ? Well its a few things imo.Not being first choice striker any more and getting a considerable run from the start. It's hard to get it back when you start a game then sub for two,maybe three,back in again.How can we expect him to be on top form with that going on.

That's not having a go at Klopp.He believes Bobby is best through the middle and he has my full support with that.He feels Daniel dose not being him enough to be a regular starter and i get that.I just cant expect Daniel to turn it on and off like a switch when called upon. It just don't work that way.

His series of injury setbacks last year have certainly knocked him both physically and mentally i think.

This lad us one of the most natural finishers we've ever had here i feel he's getting a raw deal and i was disgusted to hear what Jamie Carragher had to say about him.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:45 pm »
The first two yards are in the head.

His heads not fit. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2017, 08:54:32 pm »
I wouldn't write him off just yet. I think confidence is playing a big part in all this. I actually thought he looked better against southampton - our creative players were far worse.

He had time to build a partnership with Suarez but due to injuries is not really having a run of games and seems a bit of a misfit in this current squad. The big IF is can he stay injury free, and if he can what would a decent pre season with the squad do for him.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2017, 02:42:13 pm »
I think he's done at the top level. He can still be a decent lower mid table player as a player of his scoring record deserves to be, but he's completely done as a top level forward for a club like Liverpool.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2017, 04:48:43 pm »
Carra is on to something. We struggle as a team, but for Sturridge to add something, he needs to be in the box. We need someone to make runs behind the defenders. He had an assist today, but when I try and think where I notice Sturridge during games, it's with his back to the goal some place outside the box.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2017, 06:11:50 pm »
I think he did alright today but he was brought on with a lot to do, a loss isn't good enough, and he seems to be, if you want to put a label on it, more of a poacher than anything these days. I do agree most of his best work comes from within the box.

He can press, he can hassle, but I don't think that's his instinct.

You never lose instinct, but you can lose pace. I don't know if he's being fed properly in this current squad - if he's moved on that's a shame. It's not all his fault he isn't scoring.

I think he needs a partner who creates space and moves... I'm still not sure if him and Origi are good together, it isn't something Klopp has delved into much.

I'm still looking forward to Sadio and Sturridge together more :)

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2017, 07:02:55 pm »
I do see Sturridge going at the end of the season and I think it says a lot that the same player will have been let go by Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

There aren't many players who can say they have been a part of 3 of the PL's top 6 teams and you wonder why none found him indispensable.

His injury record has always been bad but now its actually affected how he plays and the only way is down for him because I don't see Spurs, Arsenal or United signing him.

It'll be West Ham, Palace etc for him next season.

FAME makes a man take things over

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2017, 07:22:16 pm »
He's not making an impact nor is Origi for that matter right now for us to to rely on them. Imo, daniel unfortunately is not the same player and will not be here this summer. We needed him to step up in Coutinho's and Mane's absence [and we also needed Origi to do the same] but that hasn't happened and we have struggled. On paper it looked good, but reality proved to be quite different.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2017, 07:49:44 pm »
There aren't many players who can say they have been a part of 3 of the PL's top 6 teams and you wonder why none found him indispensable.

He absolutely was indispensable here for a long time.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2017, 03:40:44 pm »
I fear it's the end for the lad at the club. With Mane heading back, the front 3 of Phil, Bobby and Sadio picks itself and bar injury will play every game with only the league to concentrate on.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2017, 03:45:43 pm »
Been saying this for ages. He's finished at Liverpool. No doubt he has the technique still but when he plays central we're not the same outfit as with Firmino. Need a new player, the profile Carra said when Rodgers first got him, to threaten with pace and movement. He's comfortable to play against as a defender these days. I even saw Stearman pace him yesterday. Can't be sentimental

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2017, 03:47:30 pm »
He absolutely was indispensable here for a long time.

Agreed. His old form and he's a shoe in for the team, the pressing aspect is irrelevant because his threat outweighed it, just like in 13/14 (let's not forget we were a pressing side then too).

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2017, 03:48:54 pm »
The only game he looked anywhere near fit enough was against Leicester and that was in a wide-ish position. I think that has to be his position if he's to play, or it's just a really good super sub from now on.

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2017, 04:15:37 pm »
Watching him frustrates me more than any Liverpool player.
In my opinion there are two versions of Studge, the rarely glimpsed Studge that keeps it simple, keeps the ball moving and the other Sturridge that wants to show everyone, including the manager how special he is. The stepovers, the trying to beat his man twice when once would do. He always seems to be trying the spectacular rather than doing the basics well these days.

The truth is the spectacular moments are getting further and further apart and in between them he's become a blunt instrument, against even poor teams he's been disappointing. Always looks like he is on his heels, doesn't really challenge with any agression, presses half heartedly.

Add to this the Chronic injury record and I've no doubt at all that despite the occasional kind words he's not someone Klopp would want to keep around. Sadly.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2017, 04:23:07 pm »
I'd be surprised to see him here next season for three main reasons:

His fitness.

His wages

And his ability to fit into a Klopp team, workrate etc....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:25:50 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2017, 04:34:28 pm »
Who buys him though, the big teams won't be interested, smaller teams can't afford him.
Still years on his contract. Could get unpleasant.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2017, 04:52:30 pm »
maybe if he got a run of games he would get his sharpness back. as it is he plays every second game. he was on the bench yesterday

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2017, 05:15:06 pm »
maybe if he got a run of games he would get his sharpness back. as it is he plays every second game. he was on the bench yesterday

But he's not first choice when every one is fit.

Firmino is Klopp's prefered number 9.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2017, 05:32:30 pm »

Yeah probably because they're worried about him breaking down. Hence why he's a luxury who needs to be sold in the summer

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2017, 12:44:38 pm »
Rodgers, who admitted he often found it difficult to accommodate Sturridge in his Liverpool line-up, told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “Daniel will always get goals, he is that quality, but it's about trying to fit it into the way your team works.

“That wasn’t easy to do when I was at Liverpool. We always had to find a way to fit him in the team.

“Sometimes he was out wide with Luis Suarez central and other games he was central and Luis was wide. There was always a conundrum there because you want to be aggressive and press the game and there are certain areas of the pitch where you always have to look - if Daniel is in the team - where you can and can’t press.

"There is no doubting his goalscoring ability but a number nine in the modern game now has to give more than that.

“I brought him into the club because I wanted to build a team that was fast, dynamic, unpredictable, had power and pace and Daniel gave us all of that. He joined us in the January and for the next 18 months he was incredible.

“He has the talent to be one of the best players and strikers in the world, but the best players in the world are available. You look at Suarez, Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo - they play games.

"They are churning out 50, 60 games a season, plus international games, so you have to be available. If he is available and he is fighting and pressing and running, everything else comes natural to him.”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/brendan-rodgers-theres-no-doubting-daniel-sturridges-goalscoring-ability-he-has-give-more#remEPfORSTRpccOt.99

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2017, 02:26:32 am »
Would love to see Sturridge given a run of 15 games non stop alongside Firmino and Mane up front, with Coutinho and Lallana in the midfield. Would give us closure and whether he's still got it, and give him an opportunity to play himself back into form. One final chance and if his body breaks down again, then that's that.

Don't think it will happen though - Klopp is done with him and I don't blame him. You can't build a team around players made out of glass. He's become just like Kewell, Agger and Aurelio - players who I loved but deep down knew had bodies that bit too injury prone to give us the consistency we need.

I so desperately wish I am wrong. But I don't think I am.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2017, 03:01:58 am »
He's now an out and out poacher that'll get you goals at a decent rate, say 1 in 2 games, if the team is set up to get the best out of him with him as the focal point. Simply put, he's not good enough to be accommodated in that manner for a team trying to win the league. People have commented on his movement and said he took up good positions but never saw the ball. Unfortunately, movement is as much about timing and speed as it is about pure positioning. Each time Sturridge took up positions in a channel that would allow him to get through on goal, he was far too slow for a pass to be played. His loss of speed also means he's no longer able to regularly drop deep, interchange a couple of passes and then burst into the box chasing a through ball. I can't remember the last time he really went after a through pass. He just doesn't stretch play. I'm not sure what use it is playing him out wide anymore. The only position he can play is centrally, but he just doesn't have the ability to do that at a high level anymore. Injuries have seemingly robbed him off it.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2017, 08:44:34 am »
I wish Klopp had gone 4-4-2 diamond in Manè absence. I think that would have helped Sturridge and Divok and given Firmino a much needed rest.
Continuing with the 4-3-3 hasn't helped anyone.
It hasn't helped Firmino as he isn't playing through the middle.
It hasn't helped Sturridge because there is a lack of support from midfield.
It hasn't helped Divok because there has been a lack of support from the fullback (when Divok pulls wide).

With regards to Sturridge, I think the problem (of acceleration) is in his head rather than his body, because he isn't going full out whilst sprinting.
In the Spurs League Cup game there was an instance where he roasts a defender in a sprint. That game was only a couple of months ago.
The sad thing is it's looking like Sturridge doesn't suit our style of play.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2017, 11:25:50 am »
If he has ambition to play week in week out he'll leave.

But I personally would like to see him stay.....and I hope klopp does too.

I think he has something to offer to this team, maybe not pressing in the way that Klopp would like his players to press in his system and he definitely does seem to have lost that bit of acceleration that was an essential part of his game (forever? and if so maybe the guy needs time to figure out how to adapt to a different style of playing after playing his whole life a certain way? Even if its an inconvenience right now to our ambitions...)

But he can create something out of nothing. When he's confident he can finish anywhere in the box.....we've seen that. He can create a movement, a one-two, find space for someone else or release a shot that will create an opportunity for a last minute winner against the bitters....he's very clever in and around the area. Experience in the forward line is a good thing.

He may not be the main man that we have to build our team around like a couple years ago....but if he's happy with it, and if klopp can make it work he could be a really good plan B. That thing everyone has been crying out for....I'd like to see that happen. Could be a pipe dream with his personal ambitions and wages etc. but that's what I'm hoping for anyway with Studge

Btw I'm not deluding myself into thinking that he's not been shit this season a lot of the time. But I just think he's not someone we should let go for those reasons ^
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2017, 11:28:26 am »
When you see the quality he's capable of such as his goal in the europa league final, it's frustrating to see him playing like this.

He'll always have great finishing and technical ability, but he looks finished physically and mentally to me.

Shame
cyas

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2017, 12:05:47 pm »
But he can create something out of nothing.

Sorry but I'm so tired of hearing this myth.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2017, 12:16:15 pm »
Sorry but I'm so tired of hearing this myth.

He's right...it happened against Everton.

But he's not done it near enough this season when we've needed it most.
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2017, 12:38:06 pm »
He's right...it happened against Everton.

But he's not done it near enough this season when we've needed it most.

He missed against Everton.

Fashioning a shot is not creating something out of nothing, its what he should be doing all the time. He's not Leo Messi, he's not taking the ball around 3 players. He thinks he's Leo Messi, thats part of the problem.

Against Everton he picked the ball up on the edge of the box and made a couple of yards and had a shot. And he only managed that because everyone else was dead on their feet and he'd just been subbed on.

He's never been able to 'create something out of nothing' even at his peak he relied on Gerrard, Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2017, 12:47:24 pm »
He missed against Everton.

Fashioning a shot is not creating something out of nothing, its what he should be doing all the time. He's not Leo Messi, he's not taking the ball around 3 players. He thinks he's Leo Messi, thats part of the problem.

Against Everton he picked the ball up on the edge of the box and made a couple of yards and had a shot. And he only managed that because everyone else was dead on their feet and he'd just been subbed on.

He's never been able to 'create something out of nothing' even at his peak he relied on Gerrard, Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling.

This isn't really true.  All you have to do is look back 1 year ago at the goal that he scored in the Europa league final to see that he's able to create something on his own. 

Can he still do that consistently?  That seems to be the question.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2017, 12:51:21 pm »
I have me tin hat on and quite frankly I really believe the lad wants away. His heart ain't in it I really rate him as a player but sadly he is not doing enough to command a regular start.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.