Author Topic: Liverpool signed Kevin Linford Stewart. People have now noticed.  (Read 96047 times)

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool signed Kevin Linford Stewart. No one noticed.
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2016, 09:12:00 am »
I've been really impressed with him playing in the defensive midfield role. Not afraid to put himself about, has a bit of pace about him and isn't afraid to carry the ball forward if given the chance. Would like him to be involved a bit more in the league, might freshen things up a bit.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2016, 09:20:22 am »
I've been really impressed with him playing in the defensive midfield role. Not afraid to put himself about, has a bit of pace about him and isn't afraid to carry the ball forward if given the chance. Would like him to be involved a bit more in the league, might freshen things up a bit.
Don't see what we have to lose at this point, the Lucas, Can and Henderson midfield has been pretty uninspiring so far. Let's try something different with some fresher legs.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2016, 09:23:25 am »
Don't see what we have to lose at this point, the Lucas, Can and Henderson midfield has been pretty uninspiring so far. Let's try something different with some fresher legs.

Hopefully with Coutinho back now we start to see a different dynamic. I think the change to Milner's role in particular will be the major impact

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2016, 09:25:12 am »
I think he works hard,  gives his all,  but his quality on the ball and touchare pretty poor.  Kind of a larger version of Spearing.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2016, 09:26:42 am »
Did really well last night even after the booking

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2016, 09:39:14 am »
Really like this lad, tenacious and strong in the tackle, and I don't give a shit that he cant do cruyff turns and rabona's for fun - leave that to someone else. I would like to see him play a few more matches to make a better judgement, but from what I have seen so far he has a future in the game that's for sure. Must be a hard bastard too given he nearly had his leg snapped off and he managed to carry on - you cant buy heart and determination like that.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2016, 09:47:09 am »
He's aways been a defender. Interesting to see how he would do in his natural position at FB. Good tackler.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2016, 09:50:19 am »
I think he works hard,  gives his all,  but his quality on the ball and touchare pretty poor.  Kind of a larger version of Spearing.

I think it could be interesting to see Lucas at CB and Stewart in the defensive midfield role. He reminds me a bit of Coquelin actually. He's only 22 too, think he could really grow into the role given game time.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2016, 09:57:31 am »
Played well last night.

Glad he wasn't injured by that leg-breakers of a "challenge".

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2016, 10:18:17 am »
played alot of forward passes last night. His quality on the ball & touch is good.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:45 am »
He's giving the ball a way a fair bit but you can tell he has some decent quality on the ball and can turn well. He hasn't had much first team experience at all so you would expect him to polish it up with more games. As people have said looks impressive defensively, good energy and pace about him.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2016, 11:50:44 am »
He played really well last night and should get a bit more gametime,  I said it in the main game thread I think he and Ilori will have the best chance to make it at the club.  I just get the feeling that they are 'Klopp' players and with a full pre-season in them they will be excellent members of the squad in the coming years and maybe even pushing on to be regulars. 

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2016, 11:58:37 am »

I dont think he looks particularly bad on the ball.  Think hes got a future in the game.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2016, 12:01:13 pm »
I was again impressed with this kid last night.Positioning and tackling good and likes to get up and support the attack at times.Would like to see more of him.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2016, 12:03:03 pm »

Was nice to see him moving into positions to receive the ball quickly. Something Lucas can't do so much anymore. Would be good to see him play some league games. I think I said after the first game that I wouldn't be panicking if any of them started a league game. Some very good young players there

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2016, 12:39:07 pm »

Which may be what we need right now because our first choice midfield in Lucas, Henderson, Can and Milner isn't delivering. Shake things up.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2016, 12:46:14 pm »
Which may be what we need right now because our first choice midfield in Lucas, Henderson, Can and Milner isn't delivering. Shake things up.

I don't think Lucas or Milner are in our first choice midfield are they?  Milner is preferred out wide and Lucas only really plays if we use a DM.  Hendo/Can is the preferred midfield now that our attackers are coming back to fitness.  Stewart isn't going to get in that midfield,  he just isn't good enough.  And no matter what people say,  Lucas is streets ahead of Stewart as  a DM.  With Grujic coming in the summer I think Stewart won't get enough game time this season now  to develop enough, and he's 23 at the start of next season.

Will have a career,  but it won't be with us
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2016, 12:48:50 pm »
I don't think Lucas or Milner are in our first choice midfield are they?  Milner is preferred out wide and Lucas only really plays if we use a DM.  Hendo/Can is the preferred midfield now that our attackers are coming back to fitness.  Stewart isn't going to get in that midfield,  he just isn't good enough.  And no matter what people say,  Lucas is streets ahead of Stewart as  a DM.  With Grujic coming in the summer I think Stewart won't get enough game time this season now  to develop enough, and he's 23 at the start of next season.

Fair enough. I was talking about the remaining season. The midfield makeup could stand to be freshened, and maybe playing Stewart in DM and Lucas at CD could just be that. Stewart has form going for him.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2016, 12:49:22 pm »
He deserves a chance.

He doesn't need to be the most technically gifted player in the world to play in that position, he just needs to know what his job is and to do it well.  Not that he isn't talented, in the games he's played for the first-team I think he's been good on the ball, passed it well and helped to win it back.  Its not an easy position to play in, particularly when you've got limited first-team experience and you're being asked to do it at Upton Park against a strong West Ham midfield, but Stewart has slotted in pretty seamlessly and really caught the eye. 

None of the current midfield are performing particularly well, what do we have to lose in rewarding Stewart for his good performances in the Cup and giving him an opportunity against Villa? 

Offline socrates the sophist

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2016, 12:54:21 pm »
I echo the thoughts of the lad although I think I'm a bigger fan. I think Stewart should be at least on the bench until the end of the season. He had Payet in his pocket all game last night.

People mentioned his tackling but also his reading of the game is just immense, especially for a 22 year-old. Its very similar to Busquetes actually. He is always trying to know where the opposition would be in the next 2 or passes. He then position himself there and ends up making a good tackle or interception. If you watch yesterday's game and focus just on his movement you will see that aspect of his game clearly

Now true he is not the best on the ball, but he is good enough to make the pass to the Coutinhos and Lallanas of our team after the interception.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2016, 12:57:25 pm »
I echo the thoughts of the lad although I think I'm a bigger fan. I think Stewart should be at least on the bench until the end of the season. He had Payet in his pocket all game last night.

People mentioned his tackling but also his reading of the game is just immense, especially for a 22 year-old. Its very similar to Busquetes actually. He is always trying to know where the opposition would be in the next 2 or passes. He then position himself there and ends up making a good tackle or interception. If you watch yesterday's game and focus just on his movement you will see that aspect of his game clearly

Now true he is not the best on the ball, but he is good enough to make the pass to the Coutinhos and Lallanas of our team after the interception.

His ball shielding skill are also very impressive. He just doesn't gets physically dominated and still has that bit of pace that lets him cover the tricky players.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2016, 12:57:40 pm »
delighted

probably the 2nd useful thread ive ever created on RAWK
bollocks

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2016, 01:03:57 pm »
Does the simple things well. I put it in the post match thread last night but I vote we give him a go. Could well have a similar impact to Coquelin at Arsenal, I don't see why not.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2016, 01:21:19 pm »
Compilation from @MrBoywunderHD:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/W7phjiYalw4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/W7phjiYalw4</a>

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2016, 02:22:52 pm »
He's done enough to start games in the league, in a small sample size he's been our best performer in that shielding the back 4 role. People might say that two of his games have been against Exeter but I've watched the Reds play enough lower league opposition to know that it's no mean feat to come out of those games looking good. I wouldn't say he's poor on the ball, he's always on the half turn and shielding the ball well. 8/9 times out of 10 he'll pick the right option on the ball and he's even able to make a few surging runs from deep and controls the ball well, it's just the final pass higher up the pitch which lets him down. There's nothing wrong with that as it's not really his modus operandi.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2016, 02:53:05 pm »
delighted

probably the 2nd useful thread ive ever created on RAWK

Yeah defo mate

I remember your "Whats your favorite humming noise" thread and thought that will never be beaten.

:)

Offline Stockholm

• Main Stander
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2016, 04:55:47 pm »
Looks decent on that clip.

Offline Henderson14

• Main Stander
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2016, 05:07:32 pm »
I have been very impressed with him in these cup games. Deserves a chance in the league at least, we have nothing to lose anyway.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2016, 06:31:24 pm »
Played well last night.

Glad he wasn't injured by that leg-breakers of a "challenge".

Benteke's fault that, for the terrible hospital ball he gave him

Offline Marcel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2016, 06:33:07 pm »
That's a bit unfair.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2016, 06:33:17 pm »
played alot of forward passes last night. His quality on the ball & touch is good.
He's giving the ball a way a fair bit but you can tell he has some decent quality on the ball and can turn well. He hasn't had much first team experience at all so you would expect him to polish it up with more games. As people have said looks impressive defensively, good energy and pace about him.
Come on now- which is it?

I dont think he looks particularly bad on the ball.  Think hes got a future in the game.
Now that's just a copout..

;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:40:18 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2016, 06:46:21 pm »
Really happy for the lad to be honest.

Not sure he'll make it here but a number of impressive performances hopefully means if we don't plan on keeping him there will be other clubs interested

Never want to write a player off so we'll just see how it goes - I made that mistake with Flanno!

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2016, 06:58:16 pm »
Very impressive player, would love to see him involved in some leagues games between now and the end of the season.

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2016, 07:15:59 pm »
Thoroughly impressed, can't see how anyone would think he's poor on the ball. As mentioned above his reading of the game is excellent and he's also very mobile.

What's impressed me most, however, is his ability to shield the ball, instantly turn out of danger and recycle the ball. Sometimes unsung young players just take to first team football in a way that's unexpected. Look at Eric Dier as an example.

Would love to see him in league games - playing against Payet twice and virtually nullifying him twice is audition enough.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2016, 07:19:59 pm »

how about i throw you a curve ball and suggest to you he might be here next season but Lucas may not be, how do you like them apples?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2016, 07:23:58 pm »
We've been missing this kind of player for a while now.

A player with a bit of bite and steal to his game.

To many of our midfielders don't get stuck in enough.

Him and Texi need to start in the PL soon.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2016, 07:28:30 pm »
Didn't realise he was 22. He really needs to be starting more games for us now. He deserves to as well after recent performances.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2016, 07:44:37 pm »
We've been missing this kind of player for a while now.

A player with a bit of bite and steal to his game.

To many of our midfielders don't get stuck in enough.

Him and Texi need to start in the PL soon.

Don't know him personally, bit harsh to call him a thief though.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2016, 08:33:04 pm »
how about i throw you a curve ball and suggest to you he might be here next season but Lucas may not be, how do you like them apples?

Klopp knows more about football than me.  If he lets Lucas leave then they'll be a good reason for it. 

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool signed Kevin Linford Stewart. People have now noticed.
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2016, 08:37:31 pm »
He reminds me of a midfield version of Flanno. No thrills about him. Just an honest, full-blooded footballer who loves a tackle.