Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 275236 times)

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
Hey folks, I will be back home in the Highlands in a few weeks - hiking the West Highland Way and catching up with family, and visiting plenty of boozers. I am really looking forward to trying the Devils Backbone IPA that is available in Spoons' as I live about 45 minutes from the actual Devils Backbone Brewery and the Spoons stuff is brewed under license by Banks's in Wolverhampton. Any thoughts on the beer?

Had a pint od DB last night it's very nice indeed (also included in the drink deal with the almighty Curry Club!)

Also had a pint of Rutland Beast from Grainstore Brewery in Oakham 5.3% dark ale and was an absolute beauty

Treated myself to Brewdog's latest Presidential IPA, 9.2% from Tesco, got 2 bottles chilling in the fridge for the football tomorrow evening

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
O haras have a new one out today,

freebird ipa

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Right chaps I will be in Belgium (ghent) in a couple of weeks, any recommendations to sample while i'm over? Love a wheat beer but open to trying whatever delights are out there, i'm by no means an expert on different beers so what better way to try out some new ones than summertime in Belgium?

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
Right chaps I will be in Belgium (ghent) in a couple of weeks, any recommendations to sample while i'm over? Love a wheat beer but open to trying whatever delights are out there, i'm by no means an expert on different beers so what better way to try out some new ones than summertime in Belgium?

You'll only be an hour's drive from the Brouweij de Sint-Sixtus, makers of the legendary Westvleteren Trappist ales - well worth calling the monastery and ordering a case of their beer to pick up, you can't legally buy it anywhere but the monastery. If I remember rightly though, the monastery is near a cafe called In de Vrede which sells it from the bottle:

http://www.indevrede.be/home.php?lang=en

for drinking in Ghent itself:

http://www.waterhuisaandebierkant.be/

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/international-beer-day-beer-deals-8561655

Apparently it's international beer day! There's a little quiz on the mirror website where you have to identify beers from their logos, feel I've let myself down with 17/20 but I stumbled on a few ales that I just don't drink....

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/international-beer-day-beer-deals-8561655

Apparently it's international beer day! There's a little quiz on the mirror website where you have to identify beers from their logos, feel I've let myself down with 17/20 but I stumbled on a few ales that I just don't drink....
lol @ number 8 and 10

look closely

got 16
« Last Edit: August 5, 2016, 01:14:23 pm by Hellrazor »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
lol @ number 8 and 10

look closely

got 16

I too saw that on 8 and 10.  :butt

got 17.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
19/20, thought I was on for the clean sweep but got 19 wrong.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
19/20. Managed to get Tuborg wrong as it's years since I've seen that muck anywhere.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Guess the beer....

::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave
19/20, thought I was on for the clean sweep but got 19 wrong.
Surely that means your score was 1/20 ::) :P

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Guess the beer....

::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :waveSurely that means your score was 1/20 ::) :P
:lmao

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TSCYdltVPhc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TSCYdltVPhc</a>
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Nice one. Just googled it. Never knew about that pub. If I'm at Euston early, on my way back north, I usually pop in the Euston Tap these days. But I like the look of that place. Cheers!
I get 50p off a pint in there now....went and joined CAMRA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=djIXYW9X3Qg

;D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For lovers of the arl Titanic Plum Porter, I had the pleasure (dubious... ;D) of spending a few of hours in central Manchester on Saturday. I popped into the Knot Bar close to Deansgate train station and had a nice pint of the good stuff in there. Decent pub and a good array of ales on too.
On form in The Dispensary, the arl TPP :)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Seaforth Pale Ale last night - from Derbyshire I think. Deeply impressed.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
My folks have just been to France and brought me back some bottles.

Fischer Reserve Ambree (6.3%), 3 Monts Flanders Pale Ale (8.5%) and La Goudale (7.2%).

All cracking, especially the Fischer.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
Heading to Munich on Friday, looking forward to trying Bavaria's finest.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Heading to Munich on Friday, looking forward to trying Bavaria's finest.

Can't really go wrong with the beers in Munich. The Weissbiers are all generally fantastic there.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
Indio and Victoria are OK as well, similar to Negra Modelo. I drank loads of Victoria in mexico as it has a lower ABV and I was mucho thirsty.

Speaking of which, this is a good place to ask - any recommendations for flavourful, lower ABV beers? As in sub-5%. I go through a lot of Founders all-day IPA, which is a nice 4.7%.
Big fan of Lagunitas IPA but that is a hefty 6.2%, so much stronger than I would like.
Guinness is a good one at around 4.3% but that's more of a cold weather beer for me

Went to a gig the other week and the lead singer of the support band" Alice drank the kool aid" was the owner of Lagunitas and his IPA was free at the gig. Had 2 pints of it. Very nice but as you say it was hefty.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Never been in this thread so this may have been done to death. But I just had one of the nicest beers I've ever tried and need to tell strangers on the internet (my wife doesn't care).. Hitachino Nest White Ale. Just when I thought I couldn't love Japan any more.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I just had one of the nicest beers I've ever tried and need to tell strangers on the internet
;D

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kpbBlyIKQMQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kpbBlyIKQMQ</a>

I think, I just found my next beer destination when back in BKK.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sour and Death by the Chorlton Brewing Company is one of my favourites. Salty Kiss by Magic Rock is great as well. Both are Gose.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Dunno if it's already been mentioned but this :

Is absolutely beautiful !!  :lickin

How did nobody say 'this goes down well'?!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
i thought the same when i sank a few the other night

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
i thought the same when i sank a few the other night

Unthinkable (let's pretend I have a writing lisp)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Unthinkable (let's pretend I have a writing lisp)
I sea what you did there

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
Thinking of getting some proper glasses to drink my posh expensive beers in (sad I know!) Anyone know any decent places to buy some nice beer glasses?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Thinking of getting some proper glasses to drink my posh expensive beers in (sad I know!) Anyone know any decent places to buy some nice beer glasses?
http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/beer-glasses.asp

Allsorts in there buddy. You may find though, once you've found exactly what you want, that you may be able to find the same product a bit cheaper on eBay or Amazon (if you can be fucked looking of course) ;D ;D ;D :wave

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
The Heineken in the bar I'm in is far too warm so I've started drinking Affligem. It's much better beer.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Just lettuce be.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
I got this set at Christmas, definitely makes the beer taste better *

*may not be true but they look nice

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Been in London all weekend prior to our game tonight and ended up in the Lowlander Cafe on Dury Lane Saturday night.

Searched RAWK and found this in a London nightlife thread.

And then around the corner and into Drury Lane you have Lowlander. Small Belgium style bar/cafe with a huge variety of Belguim beers both bottle and on draught. It's the only place in the UK, I've found Bruges Zot on draught. Superb.

Cracking little bar and the barman recommended me Bruges Zot. 6.2 percent but bloody lovely stuff. I shifted 2 pints of it swiftly and by God I knew I'd had it.

Will definitely be revisiting in the future to try some others :)

Any other 'Bruges Zot' lovers other than me and Stubbins on here?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
picked up some foam and fury (5 bottles) and 200 fathoms (3 bottles)

expensive enough trek. 57 euro all in but well renowned beers that are getting harder to come by, especially the latter

200 fathoms is a batch released by galway bay once a year. its 9 euro a pop. liquorice, chocolately taste with strong hints of whiskey (aged in whiskey barrels). probably more suited to the winter. I want to keep one for christmas day and one for november when there is a party in the family. the other ill drink some other time. itll keep anyway

foam and fury will be good for the summer.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2017, 10:06:57 am by Hellrazor »

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just seeing this thread has reminded me I have to test the abv on my home wine tonight to see if it's ready for clearing and bottling, cheers RAWK!!
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
you're welcome

now fuck off the wine thread you peasant ;)

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
you're welcome

;D
TBF, I have brewed some quality beer as well, but the bottling process for the wine is much more manageable
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
;D
TBF, I have brewed some quality beer as well, but the bottling process for the wine is much more manageable
never bottled wine, i bottled beer alright. group of friends i used to brew with it. they are still brewing but i gave it up.

we did win a gold medal for a stout about 2 years back. they recently won 2 bronze medals for another stout too. through the national home brew club

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
you're welcome

Peasants and Plebs couldn't afford wine (most of the time) only a pleb would make that mistake.

Pleb.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
In St Brieuc in Bretagne and drank some lovely local stuff last night . It was almost ambre in colour and had a little sweetness to it.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .