Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 126835 times)

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #400 on: September 6, 2018, 03:48:08 pm »
Trouble is, we live 150 miles apart.  So I guess I'll have to do it when I next visit him.

Or practice my best 80 yr old man's voice, like you say  ;D
I'm pretty sure they can ring him to confirm
cyas

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: September 7, 2018, 08:59:38 am »
I rang Sky last week pretending to be my 82yo dad to set up sky go. All they asked was if I was the account holder and account number. I dont think they know the age of the subscribers.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: September 8, 2018, 10:40:08 am »
I remember a year ago our internet just suddenly stopped working so we rang Virgin Media to ask what's up. Their answer? Apparently a member of the household had rang in and asked to cancel our package because the direct debit holder (me) had run away from home and we were going through a very difficult time. :o You could get your cat to ring Virgin Media and they'd cater to your every whim, bunch of absolute cowboys. Still never found out who made that call, these lot are fucking idiots though. If there was someone else who offered internet at a similar speed, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: September 8, 2018, 12:45:28 pm »
That's the only thing which keeps me with VM. Infact honestly I think they'd be happier if I left. The amount of data I get through.

I wanted to cancel my phone line and was told it's actually cheaper with a phone than without. Dunno how that works but yeah.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: September 10, 2018, 08:14:49 am »
it's cheaper in a contract with the phone, the pricing is weird with Virgin ;D

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2018, 12:15:39 pm »
Hi all,

I need some advice... I am able to come out of a contract we're stuck in because of the terms and conditions of a £4 hike in November..

We get 200mb of internet a month, and everything bar the movies and sky sports... Its going to £79.

Does anybody have a better deal than this currently? I am unsure what defines a good deal to be honest but I know £80 a month seems excessive for a package with no sky sports/movies (We do get BT Sports though).

Surely I can get a better deal than this... or can I?!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: September 30, 2018, 01:12:16 pm »
You could get BT but the broadband speed wouldn't stack up to Virgin.

I've had a similar thought about leaving as I pay 70 going up to 74 for 100mb broadband, phone line (free weekends) and full tv but without sports and movies.

I actually received an email because they said if you have a old hd box you can upgrade to there new one for free. So I went through the sign up and they tried to put my bill up by an extra 30 quid the bastards! 

Free my fucking arse

You could phone up and say your leaving, call there bluff but it doesn't always work.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:13:49 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: September 30, 2018, 01:20:35 pm »
You could get BT but the broadband speed wouldn't stack up to Virgin.

I've had a similar thought about leaving as I pay 70 going up to 74 for 100mb broadband, phone line (free weekends) and full tv but without sports and movies.

I actually received an email because they said if you have a old hd box you can upgrade to there new one for free. So I went through the sign up and they tried to put my bill up by an extra 30 quid the bastards! 

Free my fucking arse

You could phone up and say your leaving, call there bluff but it doesn't always work.

The new router they gave us... Smart Hub 3... so fucking shite, i couldnt play on the new FIFA for about 3 weeks until the guy came out and moved the router upstairs for a wired connection, before that the router was wireless and I could play FIFA perfectly fine.

I cant stand Virgin to be honest, you sound like youve got a worse package than me to be honest!

If you got this email titled 'Important changes to your Virgin Media service' then you have the right to cancel your contract FYI... might be worth ringing up and trying to get a better deal if so?

This is the terms for the £4 hike thats coming in November... See Below:

We hope you'll carry on enjoying everything with us. But if you want to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before 31st October, without paying any cancellation fees. Visit here to find out more.

I was offered 100mb of Internet earlier but BT Sport taken off me - said id ring back as I want someone else who can give me BT Sports within that same deal. If not im cancelling.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:22:34 pm by -Willo- »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #408 on: September 30, 2018, 03:37:32 pm »
If you go through the steps of cancelling over the phone there's a good chance they will offer you an amazing deal.

If I were you I would sack off all the tv and get a couple of iptv subs  (around £50 for both 12 months) & either get a VOD sub (£20 a year) or a real debrid account to pair with an app or kodi.

Unless you really need super high speeds you could save yourself £40/50 a month.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: September 30, 2018, 05:37:07 pm »
Hi all,

I need some advice... I am able to come out of a contract we're stuck in because of the terms and conditions of a £4 hike in November..

We get 200mb of internet a month, and everything bar the movies and sky sports... Its going to £79.

Does anybody have a better deal than this currently? I am unsure what defines a good deal to be honest but I know £80 a month seems excessive for a package with no sky sports/movies (We do get BT Sports though).

Surely I can get a better deal than this... or can I?!

For £2 more than that I get what you have plus Sky Sports (in HD).

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: October 1, 2018, 07:38:35 am »
There just installing BT fibre into our street which according to the guys working here is fibre right into your home and comparable speeds . Have stayed with VM for years for broadband only ( oh and phone because it's cheaper ) . Pay £35 a month but also have the new price hike and could also terminate except BT isn't live yet

As for tv I'm have sky q full package Inc hd and extra boxes  except BT for £52 a month so around £87 all in

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: October 1, 2018, 01:08:16 pm »
Not sure about bt speeds being comparable to virgin. According to bt's site there average speed for the fastest fibre they offer is 67mb.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: October 1, 2018, 01:25:57 pm »
Not sure about bt speeds being comparable to virgin. According to bt's site there average speed for the fastest fibre they offer is 67mb.

That wasn't fibre to the home though,quick google is saying the BT guarantee 100mb on their ultrafast network.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: October 2, 2018, 11:00:24 am »
Anyone know my options with VM if their Fibre speeds aren't anywhere near what they suggested I could get/what I am paying for?

I'm paying for 362mbps, essentially. I do regular speed checks and on average I'd say I get 140mbps.

Wondering if I can phone up and they basically give me money back/off?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: October 2, 2018, 11:22:09 am »
Anyone know my options with VM if their Fibre speeds aren't anywhere near what they suggested I could get/what I am paying for?

I'm paying for 362mbps, essentially. I do regular speed checks and on average I'd say I get 140mbps.

They'll do some diagnostics over the phone and try to improve your speed remotely first.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: October 2, 2018, 11:41:30 am »

VM don't give you a minimum speed promise.

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: October 2, 2018, 11:59:00 am »
Cheers for the replies.

Seems daft getting me on their VIVID 350 Broadband (Fastest out of 4) - when a lot of the time I'm getting their VIVID 100 Broadband which is their 3rd fastest.

Also - I get that VM don't 'promise' anything - but surely they can't say you'll get their fastest speeds, when I'm achieving less than half that.

Can't be a case of - 'Get the highest package and hope for the best'...
« Last Edit: October 2, 2018, 12:02:37 pm by Samio »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: October 2, 2018, 01:04:42 pm »
Cheers for the replies.

Seems daft getting me on their VIVID 350 Broadband (Fastest out of 4) - when a lot of the time I'm getting their VIVID 100 Broadband which is their 3rd fastest.

Also - I get that VM don't 'promise' anything - but surely they can't say you'll get their fastest speeds, when I'm achieving less than half that.

Can't be a case of - 'Get the highest package and hope for the best'...

Most advertise as "get up to ....... speeds",the only one who guarantees is BT and that's for their 100mb ultrafast,if it drops below that they give you £20

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: October 2, 2018, 01:35:46 pm »

Most advertise as "get up to ....... speeds",the only one who guarantees is BT and that's for their 100mb ultrafast,if it drops below that they give you £20

I don't think they are allowed to advertise "Up to" speeds any more. it should be "average speed"

If you are getting less than half of the speed you are paying for, you have a right to complain and they should try to rectify it. If they can't get you close to what you are paying for, you should be able to reduce your package, or leave the contract free of charge. 
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: October 2, 2018, 01:46:46 pm »
I don't think they are allowed to advertise "Up to" speeds any more. it should be "average speed"

If you are getting less than half of the speed you are paying for, you have a right to complain and they should try to rectify it. If they can't get you close to what you are paying for, you should be able to reduce your package, or leave the contract free of charge.

Yeah you're right,small change in the wording but nothing really changed.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: October 2, 2018, 02:13:47 pm »

What are you checking it on, mate?

I have the 350, and this is what I get on ethernet directly connected to the hub on a cat6 (the only reliable speed test you can do imo):

*If* I do the same test on the 5G network on my phone, it says the speed is 106Mbps - big drop off.

You can check in the hub settings what the max speed you can achieve is based on how it's connected - it's all in the table under connected devices.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2018, 02:20:38 pm by Claire. »

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #421 on: October 2, 2018, 02:19:12 pm »
Only just gone to the 350mb package myself and so far have also found that is what I am getting over ethernet, impressively newsgroups are still able to max the line. Obviously a fair bit slower over wireless

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: October 2, 2018, 02:23:26 pm »
Yeah the wireless on the new hub is patchy as fuck. I've had to put it on static channels to stop it fucking about but at times it's absolute turd. The ethernet connected stuff never suffers so I know it's just a network thing.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #423 on: October 2, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »
Yeah the wireless on the new hub is patchy as fuck. I've had to put it on static channels to stop it fucking about but at times it's absolute turd. The ethernet connected stuff never suffers so I know it's just a network thing.

I only use the hub as a modem to be honest, but even with another router handling wireless I'm not getting over 200mb or so, not exactly too surprising at those kind of speed levels the limitations of wireless tend to become a bit more obvious!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: October 2, 2018, 02:49:32 pm »
It's usually interference, the 5G one seems the worst for it, 2G is more consistent but obviously slower.

I mean, for the stuff you do on your phone/iPad 100Mbps is well enough so can't reeeeally complain ;D

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: October 2, 2018, 08:01:18 pm »
What are you checking it on, mate?

I have the 350, and this is what I get on ethernet directly connected to the hub on a cat6 (the only reliable speed test you can do imo):

*If* I do the same test on the 5G network on my phone, it says the speed is 106Mbps - big drop off.

You can check in the hub settings what the max speed you can achieve is based on how it's connected - it's all in the table under connected devices.

I've been testing using Ookla.

Makes perfect sense actually. Cheers... I never use a wired connection.

Will try that to test, just out of interest. Reckon that'll solve it to be honest!

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: October 2, 2018, 09:01:38 pm »
I'm on the VIP bundle- £90 a month gets me everything. The contract finishes in Dec. I just assumed they would renew me with the same deal, since they still offer it to new customers. Are they difficult about renewals?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: October 3, 2018, 08:54:54 am »
I'm on the VIP bundle- £90 a month gets me everything. The contract finishes in Dec. I just assumed they would renew me with the same deal, since they still offer it to new customers. Are they difficult about renewals?

I recently found out they have a loyalty dept, who are very helpful and seem to have more scope on the deals. I guess you could ask to be put through to them.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #428 on: October 4, 2018, 09:25:32 am »
just tried switching to that offer and its only available to new customers. They did offer it to me for £106 a month for 6 months.

Nothing for loyalty these days.

Contract expires at the end of this month so will see what's on offer elsewhere.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: October 4, 2018, 09:32:46 am »
just tried switching to that offer and its only available to new customers. They did offer it to me for £106 a month for 6 months.

Nothing for loyalty these days.

Contract expires at the end of this month so will see what's on offer elsewhere.

Tell them you're thinking of leaving, normally bucks their ideas up.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #430 on: October 4, 2018, 09:04:46 pm »
Depends who you get on the phone.  I had a cocky arsehole who kept insisting I wouldn't get better internet anywhere else and wouldn't budge on giving me a better deal.  Cancelled the lot just to shut him up.  I fully expect a call offering me better terms before the 28 day notice period is up though.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: October 4, 2018, 09:57:22 pm »
Depends who you get on the phone.  I had a cocky arsehole who kept insisting I wouldn't get better internet anywhere else and wouldn't budge on giving me a better deal.  Cancelled the lot just to shut him up.  I fully expect a call offering me better terms before the 28 day notice period is up though.

They all say that,BT were adamant the other year that they wouldn't give me a better deal,I signed up with talktalk and they sent BT an email to tell them that I would be moving & BT were straight on the phone to me offering me a better deal than I had with them before (which was a great deal).

Only recently left them after Talktalk went all Godfather on me,BT rang up to say that they were sorry that I was leaving and spent 10 minutes on the phone to me telling me that no way were I getting the deal with Talktalk that I got as they couldn't possibly be making any money off it.

They are all twats for not giving existing customers the deals that they have for new sign ups but that won't change whilst so many people are too lazy or not confident enough to move.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #432 on: October 4, 2018, 10:49:17 pm »
What's the rules with cancelling your existing (virgin) contract and trying to get a new customer deal...are you treated as a new customer?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #433 on: October 4, 2018, 11:53:13 pm »
What's the rules with cancelling your existing (virgin) contract and trying to get a new customer deal...are you treated as a new customer?

If you can cancel don't worry about the new customer deals.  You'll get a better one than those anyway, just gotta hold firm and wait for the phone to ring.

Recent examples:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/virgin-media-broadband-retentions-deal-1701-pm-for-50mb-broadband-no-line-rental-or-phone-3057197?page=3#thread-comments

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #434 on: October 4, 2018, 11:57:30 pm »
They all say that,BT were adamant the other year that they wouldn't give me a better deal,I signed up with talktalk and they sent BT an email to tell them that I would be moving & BT were straight on the phone to me offering me a better deal than I had with them before (which was a great deal).

Only recently left them after Talktalk went all Godfather on me,BT rang up to say that they were sorry that I was leaving and spent 10 minutes on the phone to me telling me that no way were I getting the deal with Talktalk that I got as they couldn't possibly be making any money off it.

They are all twats for not giving existing customers the deals that they have for new sign ups but that won't change whilst so many people are too lazy or not confident enough to move.

Aye the best deals are to be had when you actually sign up for something else and the new provider contacts the current.  They undercut each other to the point they actually make fuck all but they don't want to lose.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2018, 11:59:58 pm by DHKopper »

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #435 on: October 17, 2018, 06:29:15 pm »
HTH

Told them I was leaving on tuesday for BT as unhappy paying £48.50 for Med tv, phone which I never use and 100mb BBand. Got a disconnection email for 16 November. They called the morning and asked how can we keep you as a customer. I got the tv and BB for £35 for 18 months and £30 quid off my next bill. Def pays to threaten to leave. 
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #436 on: October 17, 2018, 06:51:32 pm »
I put notice in to leave two weeks ago and told them I was going with Vodafone Fibre for £21 a month due to the price increases.  Got the call from retention's (loyalty department now ironically, gotta leave to show that loyalty) today and she offered 50mb for £17 a month or 100mb for £22 both with £50 account credit.  I went for the 100mb just to be safe and with the credit the first couple of months are basically free.  Edited to add this was a 12 month contract with a no price increase guarantee for 18 months.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:01:19 pm by DHKopper »

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: October 18, 2018, 03:26:33 pm »
12 months after joinin Virgin I called them to cancel.
Lad said he can’t do much else for me. Got cancellation date.

They wouldn’t stop calling me over the next few days. I didn’t really want to cancel. Just wanted it cheaper.

Ended up paying £66 a month for 200mb internet/ all the TV apart from sky sports and sky movies. £50 loyalty credit.

They did offer £71 a month with sky sports without the £50 credit but we aren’t even on sky sports much in the coming months and they don’t even have La Liga anymore.

Paying £24 less a month Which I’m happy with.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: November 19, 2018, 04:21:45 pm »
We were on the XL telly, paying about £46 then BT phone and Plusnet for internet. Spoke to Virgin said interested in broadband but wasn't happy with the prices for existing customers, now got Vivid 100 and phone for an extra £2 a month, which equates to a £44 a month saving by getting rid of the other two.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: February 8, 2019, 11:33:23 am »
Got a callback today from them after giving my 30-day notice.  I'm on £46 a month for phone (never used) and 100mb broadband only after my 12-month contract ended.

Best they offered me is £41 a month or £37 for 50mb so I'm happy to bugger off to someone else after the 30 days. I don't need 100mb and I'm sure as shit not paying £41 a month for it. I've been with them for 18 years (NTL) and this is the first time they've not matched new customer offers.