Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 126631 times)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2014, 12:05:27 pm »
Yeah, happy with it to be honest. I haggled with a (british) sales lad for a good few days after getting nowhere with the annoying Manila call centre.

I've never used Virgin, just hope the navigation is as good as Sky....and the broadband has to be better than the grim 1MB speed I was getting with Sky.

Navigation takes a fair bit of getting used too , but well more than compensated by the broadband . My cousin posted on facebook how he had just had 150mb installed but was sceptical . Done four speed checks and averaged 175 mb he was well impressed

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2014, 12:39:09 pm »
I'm with Virgin and they are decent. Still prefer Sky though.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2014, 01:01:27 pm »
Had an horrendus time cancelling yesterday. 55mins on the phone to someone who couldn't speak English well enough.

It's a shame because I liked being with them. Couldn't take them with me as I'm moving back in with my parents (who I recently convinced to switch). When I get my own house again I'll think long and hard about whether to go back after my experience yesterday

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2014, 08:14:23 pm »
Anyone who hasn't got the Sky Sports package.... All 5 Channels plus F1HD is free this weekend on Virgin.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #244 on: August 17, 2014, 09:17:06 am »
Anyone who hasn't got the Sky Sports package.... All 5 Channels plus F1HD is free this weekend on Virgin.
Wasn't that for Saturday only?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2014, 04:16:01 pm »
Wasn't that for Saturday only?

It was yes.

I'm thinking about giving Virgin a ring to try to get free sports. Anyone any experience with their retention team? Was going to tell them Sky are offering me 6 months free and see what they say but if they call my bluff I'm kind of fucked. Don't want to go back to Sky as their broadband is piss poor.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2014, 08:57:45 pm »
It was yes.

I'm thinking about giving Virgin a ring to try to get free sports. Anyone any experience with their retention team? Was going to tell them Sky are offering me 6 months free and see what they say but if they call my bluff I'm kind of fucked. Don't want to go back to Sky as their broadband is piss poor.
I've had the xl TV package for about 5 years now and they have never offered me sky sports at any reduced costs. Good luck and let us know how you get on
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2014, 09:56:15 pm »
I've had the xl TV package for about 5 years now and they have never offered me sky sports at any reduced costs. Good luck and let us know how you get on

Have you rang to let on you were going to cancel though? They obviously aren't going to ring you out of the blue to offer it. Would just rather know what the chances are before I say cancel unless you give me a few months sports then they flick the switch.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2014, 12:54:51 pm »
I cancelled my account on Thursday (for Monday). They sent me an email a yesterday offering me the same services for 50% off if I would stay with them

However that was on the basis that I was moving to a new address.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2014, 01:17:01 pm »
They are a notoriously poor company for customer service, especially if you have the misfortune to get through to one of their 'overseas call centres'. They can barely speak English and basically have little knowledge other than checking their system.

My Sky Sports went off for now reason one Saturday and I had invited a few of the lads round to watch the match. I literally had the beers in the fridge and the grub in the over when it just went off. I frantically phoned them, only for the lady in Egypt to ask me 'how was the weather in Liverpool today'.  :no Needless to say I wasnt amused and told her to look on the internet and see for herself, it transpired I owed them £7 as two bills were outstanding. After speaking to a decent lad in Newcastle I got the game on with literally 30 minutes to spare.

A little tip for those who use Virgin Media, to speak to someone in the UK, always pick option 5, followed by option 3 when you phone up.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: August 25, 2014, 10:48:15 am »
They are a notoriously poor company for customer service...
I've heard this a lot, and I'm by no means questioning what you're saying, but I guess I must have just been lucky every time I've used the customer services because they've always been extremely quick and very helpful.  We've had Virgin broadband for at least five years now and whenever I've had an issue, admittedly not that often, they've always sorted the issue with minimum fuss.  They also contact me whenever there is a better deal available for me which has resulted in much better broadband (152mb) and lower bills. 

However, from speaking to colleagues who also have Virgin, and other things that I've read, I get the impression my experiences have been the exception rather than the rule.

We recently moved and, in a cost cutting exercise to help negate some of the extra mortgage cost, we quit Sky and moved over to Virgin to include TV as well as our broadband.  Everything seems to be fine at the moment, the broadband is brilliant and always has been, but the one thing I have noticed is that from about 7/8PM until around midnight the Tivo box and the remote are extremely hit and miss.  You press a button on the remote, the light on the Tivo box flashes immediately to register that the remote is being picked up, but nothing happens.  We have to repeat the process several times in order to get the channel to change or to search the listings etc.  That said, if I press the 'Home' button it's recognised instantly and it works exactly as expected.  That is, however, the only button that works like that.

I just wondered; has anyone else had experienced that issue and, if so, have you been able to sort it? 

I've changed the batteries in the remote and we've even had a brand new Tivo box put in but we still get the same issue.  A colleague of mine has had Virgin for years and he's never had an issue.  I've actually just bought a new remote, not a Virgin brand one I should add, just to see if that will make a difference because when they gave us the new box they left us the old remote - I figured it could well be a reconditioned remote that's on it's way out.  It's weird though because it really is only an issue for a few hours in the evening.

Offline Sh0rty

• Kopite
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2014, 02:43:29 am »
dont be fooled by these or sky both customer service is shocking and thats why you should always always complain to both of them with even the slightest niggle always gets you cheaper bills

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #252 on: August 30, 2014, 04:31:49 pm »
First impressions not great! Due for an installation today and scally engineers turned up without any prior notification. One of them informed me that they couldn't install due to a blocked duct. Apparently a job order should have been raised to unblock and pull the cable through before any install could happen. Sheer incompetence!

Trying to contact the customer service centre to complain is a nightmare. Everytime I call there is a 15-20 wait and then you struggle to hold a conversation with someone with broken English. I've had to take the day off work today and have lost over £100 in paying out wages and I'm fuming! As soon as I get through to somebody I'll tear a strip off them.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: August 30, 2014, 05:12:07 pm »
First impressions not great! Due for an installation today and scally engineers turned up without any prior notification. One of them informed me that they couldn't install due to a blocked duct. Apparently a job order should have been raised to unblock and pull the cable through before any install could happen. Sheer incompetence!

Trying to contact the customer service centre to complain is a nightmare. Everytime I call there is a 15-20 wait and then you struggle to hold a conversation with someone with broken English. I've had to take the day off work today and have lost over £100 in paying out wages and I'm fuming! As soon as I get through to somebody I'll tear a strip off them.

Unfortunate. I didn't have a problem when it came to installation.

Offline LukeD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: September 1, 2014, 04:34:52 pm »
I've got to say that I seem to be bucking the trend with Virgin's customer services.  Sorry, that sounds like I'm rubbing it in, I'm not honestly!

I called them this morning with regards to my issue with the remote (as per my post above) and it couldn't have been dealt with better.  I was on the phone for about 10 minutes, they took all of the details and have arranged for an engineer to come out and see me first thing tomorrow.  Whether the engineer can fix the issue is another thing altogether but in terms of the customer service I've received I've been really impressed so far. 

Perhaps I've had my expectations set lower thanks to all of the horror stories I've heard?  Either that or I've not had a true problem with them yet so I've not experienced the full Virgin experience.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 1, 2014, 04:45:46 pm »
Your always gonna get more bad reviews than good, if people aren't happy they complain, if people are they just get on with it.

Offline LukeD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 1, 2014, 04:52:17 pm »
That's a very good point, something that I'd not thought of to be honest.

With regards to my problem; I've read in places that it might be to do with the lights in my front room affecting the sensor on the Tivo box.  That would explain why it doesn't happen during the day and why it doesn't affect the remote working with the TV but it seems weird if it is the case.  It also means that I've got to change the lighting in my room or get rid of Virgin I guess.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #257 on: September 1, 2014, 05:15:53 pm »
Quite a few brands of plasma TV also confuse the remote sensor.

Offline LukeD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 1, 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
Interesting, thanks!

I've just had a look into that and, whilst we don't have a plasma TV, there does seem to be something in it.  Someone on a random forum had a similar issue to us and it came down to the auto brightness/eco mode that some TVs have.  I've turned ours off so will see what happens as the evening progresses.

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: November 8, 2014, 09:23:32 am »
Has anyone successfully moved their superhub to another room without calling an engineer out? I'm looking to move it to a room that has a TiVo box in it. I've seen I might be able to use a splitter to split the TiVo and hub cable but I'm not too sure what I'm doing so any help/ recommendations would be great!

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2014, 09:21:25 am »
Anyone else being throttled on torrents? Its 9.20am on a Thursday and im getting speeds of 9kb/s on IPT when I used to get upto 7mb/s

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: November 14, 2014, 12:56:12 pm »
Anyone else being throttled on torrents? Its 9.20am on a Thursday and im getting speeds of 9kb/s on IPT when I used to get upto 7mb/s

If you're on less than 30Mb then they throttle both upload and download after a limit. Above 30Mb, only upload speeds.
http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #262 on: November 14, 2014, 01:27:43 pm »
Recently left Sky too, got the tivo box and the V= HD box in the other room.

We've got the XL package, 150mb broadband (speedtest on the interent) and weekend calls all for £82 a month for 12 months and then £93 a month afterwards. I found out you also had to pay £7 extra a month for HD sports and movies, I rang them up and complained saying I only left sky because I was told I was getting them included (I didn't) and they gave me it for free!

I'm more than happy, a similar deal with sky would have been around £120 a month, if not more.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2014, 09:47:50 am »
Giving serious consideration to fucking this off and just keeping their broadband. Do they take the TV boxes back if you cancel?

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2014, 11:26:21 am »
Giving serious consideration to fucking this off and just keeping their broadband. Do they take the TV boxes back if you cancel?

I was debating that myself, hardly watch TV and if i do its on catch up or on the likes of ITV Player/BBC iplayer.

Anything else is available online really. Didn't know whether it was possible to just keep the broadband though.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2014, 08:47:43 am »
Going up another fiver in feb. c*nts.

Can somebody recommend an alternative? I don't mean sky but surely they'd be cheaper at this point too.

Basically I watch the footy, kids watch the cartoons like nick Jr (got Netflix too)

What's the best way to go here? Like if I can keep the basic kids stuff what's the best setup I can go for footy and that?

Or Should I go now TV and the entertainment pack and stream the footy? What's the best way to stream to the TV?

A lot of questions I know of but had enough of Virgin now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:55:23 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #266 on: November 21, 2014, 02:17:03 pm »
Going up another fiver in feb. c*nts.

Can somebody recommend an alternative? I don't mean sky but surely they'd be cheaper at this point too.

Basically I watch the footy, kids watch the cartoons like nick Jr (got Netflix too)

What's the best way to go here? Like if I can keep the basic kids stuff what's the best setup I can go for footy and that?

Or Should I go now TV and the entertainment pack and stream the footy? What's the best way to stream to the TV?

A lot of questions I know of but had enough of Virgin now.

If you've got a dish, Buy a 'special' box for £40 and buy a 'gift'

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:19 pm »
About to move house, Virgin don't supply new road so going to have to change. Don't want to as we've never had a problem with them at all, internet speed never once been a problem, we don't use the phoneline (literally don't even have a house phone plugged in- which is a bit irritating as we have to pay for it anyway) and we hardly watch the tv, as others have said its mainly catch up stuff if anything.

Been having a look around tonight and talktalk seem the cheapest by a mile (I really want to avoid sky if at all possible) but don't want to end up with really piss poor internet speeds etc, in fact the internet is probably the most important thing as we don't need a landline and hardly watch tv.

Any experience with talktalk? I have always been with virgin and apart from the usual horror stories about sky broadband being shit i don't know anything about any of the others. there seem to be loads of introduction offers on at the moment including vouchers etc- but again maybe this is normal and i just haven't had to do any of this in a long time!

also can't believe people pay near £100 pm for this stuff, I am pulling faces at anything above £30!!

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #268 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:36 am »
About to move house, Virgin don't supply new road so going to have to change. Don't want to as we've never had a problem with them at all, internet speed never once been a problem, we don't use the phoneline (literally don't even have a house phone plugged in- which is a bit irritating as we have to pay for it anyway) and we hardly watch the tv, as others have said its mainly catch up stuff if anything.

Been having a look around tonight and talktalk seem the cheapest by a mile (I really want to avoid sky if at all possible) but don't want to end up with really piss poor internet speeds etc, in fact the internet is probably the most important thing as we don't need a landline and hardly watch tv.

Any experience with talktalk? I have always been with virgin and apart from the usual horror stories about sky broadband being shit i don't know anything about any of the others. there seem to be loads of introduction offers on at the moment including vouchers etc- but again maybe this is normal and i just haven't had to do any of this in a long time!

also can't believe people pay near £100 pm for this stuff, I am pulling faces at anything above £30!!

from last year mate - http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=306059.msg11673238#msg11673238 - personally I'd stay clear of TalkTalk.

For me I'd be tempted to go for BT, maybe PlusNet
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2014, 09:52:47 am »

Jesus do not put yourself through the trouble of having talktalk. Awful awful internet. If you like random dropouts all day every day then by all means go with them  ;D

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2014, 10:07:21 am »
Haha thanks. That's them swerved then!
Between sky and BT then I suppose

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2014, 10:15:11 am »
Never had Sky but I've had BT infinity before and they were really good. I had the best time streaming football through them

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2014, 12:54:42 pm »
Sky are brilliant, talk talk are awful
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »
Just been through an online order thing with BT and the upfront cost is £230!! That's for all set up, arial etc, feels like a big set up payment PLUS monthly costs compared to others which are free to set up. With moving and renovating and it being december, could seriously do without an extra £200+ on setting up a bloody tv!!

Sky are more expensive monthly but only £10 to set up!

Anyone know how BT are on doing deals if you call them? Might give that a try this afternoon.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:28:35 pm by waittillmay »

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: November 25, 2014, 03:31:33 pm »
Tell them you're choosing between them and sky and that if they waive the installation fee then it will swing it in their favour. They might get you to take a longer contract but free installation. That way you both win

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2014, 11:25:38 am »
Thanks for the advice.
I managed to get 12 month contract with sky, family + movies TV, unlimited broadband and phone line for £47 per month.
Seems a decent enough deal to me, and I like that I can renegotiate again in 12 months with no forced price jump.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2015, 09:27:14 am »
How do I go about getting a decent deal through their retentions dept?
I can't lie about Sky's deals as surely they know exactly what their deals are. We're on the top package and it's £127 a month, ideally we would like it loads cheaper but I am not that unrealistic. Our wires are behind skirting etc for virgin already so would rather keep them that have to pull skirting off etc to hide new sky wires.

So, any tips?

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2015, 09:57:20 am »
I can't lie about Sky's deals as surely they know exactly what their deals are. We're on the top package and it's £127 a month, ideally we would like it loads cheaper but I am not that unrealistic. Our wires are behind skirting etc for virgin already so would rather keep them that have to pull skirting off etc to hide new sky wires.

So, any tips?

They will know what their deals are on the website, but they won't know what deals Sky are offering you to get you to leave Virgin. That guy in the shopping centre may have offered you what your're getting with Virgin for £85 for 12 months, and has given you until close of play Monday to think about it  ;)

Play them off each other. Ring Sky, tell them exactly what you're getting with Virgin, and ask them what is the best they can do? Then ring Virgin, and tell them what Sky has offered you, and what are they going to do to better it?

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2015, 02:43:12 pm »

So, any tips?

As Barney said Sky can usually offer 20% off their advertised deals for new customers if they are "poaching". Don't speak to retentions with Virgin speak to their cancellation team - they have far more power to offer better deals than the retentions who have to stick to a set script.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #279 on: March 28, 2015, 06:50:08 pm »
Im on Virgin for Tv, landline, broadband & mobile. Was paying £120+pm for all services. Had been with them more than 10yrs, so thought was a loyal customer.

They seem to care more about offering new customers all the best deals. So phoned them up, threatened to leave & ended up with a discount of around 33%, down to just over £80pm.

So it pays to haggle!