Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 449944 times)

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube
« Reply #960 on: September 23, 2018, 05:10:06 pm »
I love the idea that Klopp counteracted a team parking the bus by putting an extra attacker on. It worked really well and taking Shaq off for Milner as a midfield controller meant the whole team had a far easier game. That really fucks up the bus parker's plan to stifle our attacking brilliance.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #961 on: September 23, 2018, 05:14:09 pm »
It's important to remember that that 45 minutes with Shaqiri was essentially an untested plan.  Jurgen might not have been satisfied with the level of control we had but on the whole we acquitted ourselves very well.

As we practice the specifics of this formation we can only get better.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #962 on: September 23, 2018, 05:18:11 pm »
Considering he's had a bit-part role so far, he did everything we could ask for in 45 minutes, and having him as an additional attacking option along with our front 3 is just what we need to beat the teams that come to Anfield to defend. Great signing.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #963 on: September 23, 2018, 08:09:59 pm »
I hope Shaqiri plays the full 90 on Wednesday. I think he can give Chelsea problems.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #964 on: September 23, 2018, 08:15:03 pm »
I hope Shaqiri plays the full 90 on Wednesday. I think he can give Chelsea problems.

I think he will, plus I’ll go for Sturridge, Mignolet, Clyne, Moreno, Lallana, Fabinho, Keita, Matip and Gomez. No particular order  ;D

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #965 on: September 23, 2018, 08:38:16 pm »
I think he will, plus I’ll go for Sturridge, Mignolet, Clyne, Moreno, Lallana, Fabinho, Keita, Matip and Gomez. No particular order  ;D

Our squad depth is amazing. That’s a top 10 side in the PL.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #966 on: September 23, 2018, 08:40:14 pm »
Our squad depth is amazing. That’s a top 10 side in the PL.

Yeah I’d be confident for the win on wed with that team plus Bobby

Shaq to have a blinder after his very impressive 45 mins

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: September 23, 2018, 08:47:44 pm »

Lallana isnt yet training is? From the sounds of it Lovren has more chance of playing than Lallana.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #968 on: September 23, 2018, 08:49:54 pm »
Lallana isnt yet training is? From the sounds of it Lovren has more chance of playing than Lallana.

For the prisoner 11 against the guards, yes.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #969 on: September 24, 2018, 08:54:32 am »
I love how he receives and turn with the ball. He is gonna be an interesting player for us. Against packed defenses his ability to run with ball, runs behind defenders and that thunderous shot will be priceless. Kop now know what we gain and loose with him in squad and I am sure there is some shape in his mind to exploit Shaq's explosiveness and still maintain defensive solidarity. Excited to see how this season pans out.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #970 on: September 24, 2018, 10:52:56 am »
For the prisoner 11 against the guards, yes.

:lmao

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #971 on: September 24, 2018, 02:09:29 pm »
Might be harsh but if your manager feels you don't have enough control in midfield then there's no point in putting a   square  peg in a round hole.

I still don't quite understand this - for me we had very good control in the 1st half (possession of 66%), he went off for Milner, and they then had 55% of the ball and lost control, until Keita came on when we finally recovered our possession.  In the second half, they had by *far* the best chance of the match for them too.  For me, it seemed like Shaq would definitely start, and Gini/Hendo prob not, in the League Cup, and thus he was getting a half rest now given we were 3-0 up against a team missing their only finisher.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: September 24, 2018, 02:11:39 pm »
I still don't quite understand this - for me we had very good control in the 1st half (possession of 66%), he went off for Milner, and they then had 55% of the ball and lost control, until Keita came on when we finally recovered our possession.  In the second half, they had by *far* the best chance of the match for them too.  For me, it seemed like Shaq would definitely start, and Gini/Hendo prob not, in the League Cup, and thus he was getting a half rest now given we were 3-0 up against a team missing their only finisher.

It wasn't about getting rest, Klopp basically confirmed it several times in his post match presser. He didn't like the defensive shape we had and they got half chances in the first half. We didn't have enough time to work on this in midweek.

It wasn't about the possession, it was about our shape when they were going forward.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #973 on: September 24, 2018, 02:53:15 pm »
He just needs to bulk up a bit...

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: September 24, 2018, 03:21:16 pm »
It wasn't about getting rest, Klopp basically confirmed it several times in his post match presser. He didn't like the defensive shape we had and they got half chances in the first half. We didn't have enough time to work on this in midweek.

It wasn't about the possession, it was about our shape when they were going forward.

I understand that - but from my side, then, it seemed to backfire as they looked better in the 2nd half, then in the first (I was watching on my mobile and had a couple of dodgy connections, but from memory their two half chances came from breaking down the wing where the fullbacks were in the oppo half, and Gini/Hendo failing to cover, and then putting in a cross - and the reason they didn't in the 2nd half do that as much was more we weren't pushing forward, so TAA and Robertson were deeper and therefore the midfield didn't have to try and cover for them being up the pitch - something that simply the personnel change had little to do with, it was more the tactics and deliberately being more compact

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: September 24, 2018, 03:28:29 pm »
I understand that - but from my side, then, it seemed to backfire as they looked better in the 2nd half, then in the first (I was watching on my mobile and had a couple of dodgy connections, but from memory their two half chances came from breaking down the wing where the fullbacks were in the oppo half, and Gini/Hendo failing to cover, and then putting in a cross - and the reason they didn't in the 2nd half do that as much was more we weren't pushing forward, so TAA and Robertson were deeper and therefore the midfield didn't have to try and cover for them being up the pitch - something that simply the personnel change had little to do with, it was more the tactics and deliberately being more compact

I strongly disagree, they hardly did anything worth mentioning in the 2nd half. We were in complete control in every aspect. And more importantly the manager disagrees as well.

The change did not backfire at all. We played at training pace in the 2nd half.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #976 on: September 24, 2018, 06:37:45 pm »
It's important to remember that that 45 minutes with Shaqiri was essentially an untested plan.  Jurgen might not have been satisfied with the level of control we had but on the whole we acquitted ourselves very well.

Is it really untested?? When we started Coutinho behind the front three or Lallana then surely Shaqiri is in a similar mode so its a wee stretch to say we have not tried to play an attacking midfielder with the attacking trio before.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #977 on: September 24, 2018, 06:39:59 pm »

I remember the mishit from Southampton at 2-0. If that had gone in, we would be nervous. That was right before Salah tried backheeled the ball into the net

Ultimately we have Gini and Henderson covering as DM and Shaq shouldn’t be squarely blamed for  midfield losing shape.

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #978 on: September 24, 2018, 06:55:00 pm »
Is it really untested?? When we started Coutinho behind the front three or Lallana then surely Shaqiri is in a similar mode so its a wee stretch to say we have not tried to play an attacking midfielder with the attacking trio before.

In the context of this group of players I don't think we have used that shape in recent times (that I can remember). Later versions of Coutinho were as the left-sided attacker coming inside and Lallana was usually deployed as an 8 (or as one of the wide attackers).

Besides, Shaqiri with the front three wasn't the issue but the fact we went from our usual midfield 3 to a midfield 2

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #979 on: September 24, 2018, 07:13:13 pm »

Yes it is untested, the manager says it is, Lallana hasn't played behind the front 3, he's played as an 8.

Shaqiri is new to the group, and whatever we've done with Coutinho is not relevant to what we're doing now and he[Klopp] wasn't saying that the final third wasn't working with Shaqiri playing in the role he played, he was talking about the defensive shape when we we were defending and being countered.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #980 on: September 24, 2018, 07:14:50 pm »
I remember the mishit from Southampton at 2-0. If that had gone in, we would be nervous. That was right before Salah tried backheeled the ball into the net

Ultimately we have Gini and Henderson covering as DM and Shaq shouldn’t be squarely blamed for  midfield losing shape.

Nobody was blaming Shaqiri for the midfield losing shape,Klopp blamed himself and said that we specifically did not have enough time to work on both phases, especially the defensive side, but a change had to be made to balance it out, and it happened to be Shaqiri. That's not to say that he was at fault, but we, as a team, didn't do enough to adjust to what we wanted to do defensively with the formation we started out with

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #981 on: September 24, 2018, 07:15:00 pm »

We play that formation almost every week! Just because Sky or BBC or BT Sport put us as a 4-3-3, doesn't make it so. The roles our players play turn our formation into a lopsided 4-2-3-1. The major difference between every other week, and Saturday, is that every other week, Mane drops off into central midfield to help out, and the "third" central mid pushes wide on the attack. This helps us to manage the gaps in transition better. With more defined roles like Saturday's game, those gaps open up because players aren't sure whether they're supposed to drop or stay up. That's most likely what Klopp meant by "not having time to practice it".
Better looking than Samie.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: September 24, 2018, 07:17:07 pm »
We play that formation almost every week! Just because Sky or BBC or BT Sport put us as a 4-3-3, doesn't make it so. The roles our players play turn our formation into a lopsided 4-2-3-1. The major difference between every other week, and Saturday, is that every other week, Mane drops off into central midfield to help out, and the "third" central mid pushes wide on the attack. This helps us to manage the gaps in transition better. With more defined roles like Saturday's game, those gaps open up because players aren't sure whether they're supposed to drop or stay up. That's most likely what Klopp meant by "not having time to practice it".

Well said.

Offline Espresso Bar

• Kopite
« Reply #983 on: September 24, 2018, 09:04:03 pm »
Shak is a Match of the Day highlights player.
If he can’t play the tactics then he’s useless to the team.
He needs to turn on tune in or drop out.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: September 24, 2018, 09:04:48 pm »

Are you fishing?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #985 on: September 24, 2018, 09:06:02 pm »

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #986 on: September 24, 2018, 09:12:00 pm »
Felt a sorry for him, although Southampton had a few opportunities to punish us on the counter so I think Klopp made the right decision.

He will have plenty of opportunities this season, especially in the second half when we are forced to rotate more.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #987 on: September 24, 2018, 09:29:20 pm »

Off the ball, we alternate between a 4-5-1 and a 4-3-3. On the ball, we alternate between a 4-3-3, diamond and the lopsided 4-2-3-1 you mention. We're more flexible than most teams around, so our passmaps don't say a great story of positions to as much accuracy as it is expected to.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #988 on: September 24, 2018, 10:24:37 pm »

I have no idea what that even means could you explain it a bit further please.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #989 on: September 25, 2018, 10:21:23 am »

We don't play with a 2-1 midfield shape every week. Surely that's the fundamental difference between Saturday and previous matches. They had joy in the wide areas (particularly down our left) because the burden on both Gini and Hendo to shuttle wider, and Mané and Firmino to track back, was greater than in a 1-2 midfield set-up. Essentially we were - or *felt* - one player lighter in defensive scenarios.

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #990 on: September 25, 2018, 03:23:59 pm »
I strongly disagree, they hardly did anything worth mentioning in the 2nd half. We were in complete control in every aspect. And more importantly the manager disagrees as well.

The change did not backfire at all. We played at training pace in the 2nd half.

Completely accurate. The second half was limp - we squeezed the life out if it and they were playing for scraps that weren't there.
It was underwhelming to watch but really, really enjoyable because of that. Rest might not have been the intention, but it was a cracking byproduct.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #991 on: September 26, 2018, 03:20:56 am »
Word is he took it well, when Klopp informed him he being subbed his response was no probs boss i'l play "Whenever, Wherever"
YNWA

Offline biscuitme

• cakeyou
  • Main Stander
« Reply #992 on: September 26, 2018, 03:46:45 am »

Just as it took time for Ox to slot in a new role, was Saturday Shaq's trial at the same role? I don't know specifics enough, but I see parallels in both of their careers.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #993 on: September 26, 2018, 05:09:19 am »
A good performance from the barrel, but can he be as damaging playing out wide?  Hopefully he gets another start against Chelsea in the cup so we can see.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: September 26, 2018, 05:20:15 am »
Just as it took time for Ox to slot in a new role, was Saturday Shaq's trial at the same role? I don't know specifics enough, but I see parallels in both of their careers.

I doubt Klopp has given up this early on having the barrel play out wide as backup to Salah.  Southampton just presented an opportunity to be more offensive as they are plain average.  The intention is surely to have him play the position he plays for previous club and country.  AOC had already been asking to play and playing at different times more centrally for Arsenal, so it wasn't so much a new role.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:28:20 am by latortuga »

Online xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #995 on: September 26, 2018, 06:49:16 am »

does that mean baby shark needs to be molly coddled by mama shark and papa shark?

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: September 26, 2018, 12:17:27 pm »
Word is he took it well, when Klopp informed him he being subbed his response was no probs boss i'l play "Whenever, Wherever"

;D  Lol, I hear what you did there.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: September 26, 2018, 12:59:38 pm »

I heard he was slightly piqued.  ;)
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #998 on: September 26, 2018, 01:01:09 pm »
Man of the match tonight
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #999 on: September 26, 2018, 01:03:52 pm »
Completely accurate. The second half was limp - we squeezed the life out if it and they were playing for scraps that weren't there.
It was underwhelming to watch but really, really enjoyable because of that. Rest might not have been the intention, but it was a cracking byproduct.

Good it be that Klopp is perfecting game management?