Author Topic: Neco Williams Appreciation thread  (Read 111272 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Neco Williams Appreciation thread
« Reply #160 on: February 7, 2020, 04:28:18 pm »
wait..how did he progress so fast to being a back up to Trent?

I remember all the hype was about Hoever(cue vacuum cleaner jokes) and how smooth he is on the ball.

I dont even recall Neco being a standout in the youth team. The previous youth team right back was some portugese winger that was sold last season. Cant seem to recall his name.

Camacho. The new Texieria. We haven’t had much luck with young Portuguese hopefuls, just as well we never signed that Ronaldinho bloke back in the day either.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: February 7, 2020, 04:31:31 pm »

I remember all the hype was about Hoever(cue vacuum cleaner jokes) and how smooth he is on the ball.

I dont even recall Neco being a standout in the youth team. The previous youth team right back was some portugese winger that was sold last season. Cant seem to recall his name.
Williamas was always a good player, Hoever just seemed to jump ahead of him and any academy defender with the first team. At the time i didn't think hoever had been much better than him. Hoever then was away at the u17 world cup so williams got his chance in the first team.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #162 on: February 7, 2020, 04:35:45 pm »
Williamas was always a good player, Hoever just seemed to jump ahead of him and any academy defender with the first team. At the time i didn't think hoever had been much better than him. Hoever then was away at the u17 world cup so williams got his chance in the first team.

Plus there seems to be more interest in giving Hoever game time in the centre.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: February 7, 2020, 05:02:34 pm »
Plus there seems to be more interest in giving Hoever game time in the centre.

Not to disagree, as I don't know for sure, but I expected that was more a case of having better options at full back than centre back for the Shrewsbury tie.

When Williams and Hoever were available earlier in the season (MK Dons) Hoever started right back. Williams only came in next round while Hoever was at an international tournament. Then when Williams went to Qatar, Hoever came back in at right back for the Villa game. I think it's only Shrewsbury and Wolves last year as an emergency sub where he's featured in the middle.

I guess games where both could feature have run out for this season, but I'd be up for seeing one of the two at left back ahead of Larouci as an experiment.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 7, 2020, 05:29:15 pm »
sounds like neco is more of a specialized player as he can only play RB while hoever can fill in both CB and RB roles.

its still early days and lots of progress needs to be gained and of course consistency. He could be our welsh steve finnan.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 7, 2020, 05:31:20 pm »
sounds like neco is more of a specialized player as he can only play RB while hoever can fill in both CB and RB roles.

its still early days and lots of progress needs to be gained and of course consistency. He could be our welsh steve finnan.

I know this'll be rounded on, in the context of the constant bad calls for moving TAA to midfield (lol at Southgate), but I'd like to see how Hoever looks playing the 6 role.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: February 7, 2020, 06:07:00 pm »
I know this'll be rounded on, in the context of the constant bad calls for moving TAA to midfield (lol at Southgate), but I'd like to see how Hoever looks playing the 6 role.

Neco could be the one moving to right midfield as I believe I read that he started out as a winger.. so  maybe he can get a game there instead of RB considering we have TAA but then again you dont drop Salah so his path is blocked somewhat unless he is happy being backup.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #167 on: February 7, 2020, 06:24:50 pm »
Camacho. The new Texieria. We haven’t had much luck with young Portuguese hopefuls, just as well we never signed that Ronaldinho bloke back in the day either.

Ronaldinho was Brazilian. Probably still is.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 7, 2020, 06:27:53 pm »
Neco could be the one moving to right midfield as I believe I read that he started out as a winger.. so  maybe he can get a game there instead of RB considering we have TAA but then again you dont drop Salah so his path is blocked somewhat unless he is happy being backup.

Has Trent played LB in preseason?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 7, 2020, 07:01:42 pm »

A bit of back luck for Hoever, he was going to play against Arsenal, got called up to the Dutch U19 or something squad for a tournament, Neco came in and had a very solid game and took his spot for the next cup fixtures. Funny how football works sometimes.

Has to be said that Hoever is a year younger, which is a big deal at that level, especially with defenders.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #170 on: February 7, 2020, 08:04:15 pm »
Reckon he starts vs Chelsea in the Fa Cup

Really excited to watch his development at the club and hopefully he'll be able to provide a capable rotation option for Trent

Thought he was our most dangerous player vs Shrewsbury
The change is cast

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 7, 2020, 08:07:51 pm »

The 18 year old guy who's played four games of football at professional level? Yeah I reckon he'll probably be ok with not being first name on the teamsheet for the world champions.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 7, 2020, 08:12:32 pm »
The 18 year old guy who's played four games of football at professional level? Yeah I reckon he'll probably be ok with not being first name on the teamsheet for the world champions.

Ha ha ha ha ha - dunno man Salah doesn't pass enough maybe we can sell him, bring in traore, move trent to midfield and neco can go RB.

Think that's full house in 'appalling ideas that RAWK seem keen on' bingo.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #173 on: February 7, 2020, 08:19:34 pm »

Annoyingly if we put Williams at RM it’s just blocking the path of one of the under 14s :(
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #174 on: February 7, 2020, 09:12:49 pm »
Better looking than Samie.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #175 on: February 7, 2020, 10:07:01 pm »
Ronaldinho was Brazilian. Probably still is.

:lmao How the fuck did I type that?!

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 7, 2020, 10:12:12 pm »

Gerrard gave him his u18 debut at 15 if I recall correctly.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2020, 12:34:33 pm »
He’s already a powerful presence on the ball. There’s a toughness about him which is really striking for some one of his tender age.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2020, 01:09:58 pm »
He’s already a powerful presence on the ball. There’s a toughness about him which is really striking for some one of his tender age.

I wonder what will happen with Neco. If he stays at RB then he is up against Trent and playing backup there. I did read in the Echo that he started out in the academy as a winger so maybe he can move to right midfield to get more games. But then we have Salah.  I'm sure he won't mind being backup and getting the odd game for such a big club at  a younger age.  However in the long term he may turn out to be too good for a backup role.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2020, 01:57:25 pm »
I wonder what will happen with Neco. If he stays at RB then he is up against Trent and playing backup there. I did read in the Echo that he started out in the academy as a winger so maybe he can move to right midfield to get more games. But then we have Salah.  I'm sure he won't mind being backup and getting the odd game for such a big club at  a younger age.  However in the long term he may turn out to be too good for a backup role.

Trent wont play 60 games in the season. Plus we'll also have the extended club world cup in June next year, so we are looking at a crazy amount of games. If he impresses in pre-season, he could be looking at 20 starts quite easily, which is huge for a young player.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2020, 02:00:38 pm »

If he's deemed a good enough backup to Trent he'll get a good number of games for his age, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2020, 02:05:48 pm »
If he's deemed a good enough backup to Trent he'll get a good number of games for his age, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

OK :)

He is a top talent though so looking forward to seeing more of him.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2020, 11:11:31 pm »

Not only that. There was an incident in the first half where he chased down a crossfield ball that everyone assumed was going out. And, of course, the goal, where he first intercepted the ball, then rather than assuming his header was a safe clearance and getting back into position while the ball went out, he saw the chance to immediately transition and went after it. Both marks of a lively tactical brain. Trent is being talked about as having the mind of a midfielder. I think Williams does too.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2020, 11:23:26 pm »
Not only that. There was an incident in the first half where he chased down a crossfield ball that everyone assumed was going out. And, of course, the goal, where he first intercepted the ball, then rather than assuming his header was a safe clearance and getting back into position while the ball went out, he saw the chance to immediately transition and went after it. Both marks of a lively tactical brain. Trent is being talked about as having the mind of a midfielder. I think Williams does too.

As someone mentioned above, he started out as a winger, so some sort of midfielder mentality is already there. TAA started out as a midfielder right? :)

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2020, 11:53:21 pm »
As someone mentioned above, he started out as a winger, so some sort of midfielder mentality is already there. TAA started out as a midfielder right? :)

He looks more comfortable taking on defenders than Trent does so perhaps he’d be the more likely candidate to get game time in midfield in future as long as the two of them are fit and in competition for the one right back position.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2020, 11:54:18 pm »
Giggs says England want him.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2020, 10:17:07 am »
Giggs can fuck right off the knob! They are talking about given him his debut for Wales before he's even played a premier league game for us.

This should be nothing to do with age, you should only start playing games for your country when you are a regular playing member of a 1st team squad.

I know Wales don't have that big a pool of talent compared to bigger countries but this is the type of shit they pulled with Ben Woodburn and I'm sure it has contributed to him not progressing as well as we thought he would.

Let the boy develop properly then when he's ready for international football, let him make his mind up on which country he wants to represent.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2020, 02:22:52 pm »
Giggs can fuck right off the knob! They are talking about given him his debut for Wales before he's even played a premier league game for us.

This should be nothing to do with age, you should only start playing games for your country when you are a regular playing member of a 1st team squad.

I know Wales don't have that big a pool of talent compared to bigger countries but this is the type of shit they pulled with Ben Woodburn and I'm sure it has contributed to him not progressing as well as we thought he would.

Let the boy develop properly then when he's ready for international football, let him make his mind up on which country he wants to represent.

Harry Wilson got his Wales debut at age 16, 2 years before he would make his senior debut, on loan for League One side Crewe Alexandra.

Hasn’t done him any harm.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:24:24 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2020, 02:25:36 pm »
Mighty Red you're living in a diffrent era mate. This situation with Neco happens pretty much on a regular basis now with talented players.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2020, 02:41:40 pm »
It doesn't sit right with me that a player who has never played a PL or CL minute plays for his country. Appreciate Wales have a small pool of players but I don't think Neco has even played for their U21 side. He'd be better off concentrating on doing a full pre-season with us and getting his club career properly off the ground rather than going along for the ride with Wales at the Euros.

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2020, 03:25:35 pm »

Giggs is a clown.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2020, 04:14:48 pm »
It doesn't sit right with me that a player who has never played a PL or CL minute plays for his country. Appreciate Wales have a small pool of players but I don't think Neco has even played for their U21 side. He'd be better off concentrating on doing a full pre-season with us and getting his club career properly off the ground rather than going along for the ride with Wales at the Euros.

Why? Would be an incredible experience for him to be around the setup during the Euro's and I'd argue there's an outside chance he could see some playing time considering the lack of depth and strength in the Welsh squad. More than half that Welsh roster plays for clubs not in the top division in their respective countries.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2020, 04:45:22 pm »

I'd argue it's better for him to be training & playing alongside experienced senior pro's like Bale, Ramsey, Allen, Williams etc and experiencing the buzz of a major tournament than what he'll get at Melwood with the U23's whilst most of our senior players are at the Euro's or on holiday.

Could also be a good little team building exercise for him, Woodburn & Wilson (assuming all 3 are selected of course)

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2020, 04:52:48 pm »
Mighty Red you're living in a diffrent era mate. This situation with Neco happens pretty much on a regular basis now with talented players.

No it doesn't - TAA has been regarded as a talent for a number of years, didn't start playing for England till he broke through into our team.

Mbappe is probably the biggest talent to come through in the last 5 years - he debuted for France young (under 18) but had already broken through into Monaco's team.

It just smacks of Wales giving him games for purely selfish reasons rather than actually having an interest in his development.

I would rather trust Klopp and the team to manage his progress and a suitable speed in an elite environment than just throwing carrots of itll caps and tournaments at him
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2020, 04:54:51 pm »
Giggs is a clown.

I don't much like him, but not sure why he's now getting called a clown and told to fuck off, just because of a random forum comment that has little baring on anything that's been actually said ;D

This is the article with quotes:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51480380

All Giggs needs to do is, is call him into the squad next month and give him his debut. Problem solved, IF there is even a problem. He's from Wrexham, and has come up through the Welsh age-groups and knows the setup, coaches and players, not like he qualifies for Wales due to a distant relative.

Edited to add, no idea why people are getting upset at the idea of him playing for the senior Wales squad, so strange! Wales don't have much depth as it is, let him get called up, he'll be fine! we're all here hyping him, but the instant his national team want him it's suddenly not ok  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:57:25 pm by Dim Glas »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2020, 04:55:27 pm »
No it doesn't - TAA has been regarded as a talent for a number of years, didn't start playing for England till he broke through into our team.

Mbappe is probably the biggest talent to come through in the last 5 years - he debuted for France young (under 18) but had already broken through into Monaco's team.

It just smacks of Wales giving him games for purely selfish reasons rather than actually having an interest in his development.

I would rather trust Klopp and the team to manage his progress and a suitable speed in an elite environment than just throwing carrots of itll caps and tournaments at him

England have a variety of options at the position, and at the time when Trent started, Walker was a regular. Wales don't have that same luxury.

France also had tons of quality to choose from.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2020, 04:58:36 pm »
He's from Wrexham, and has come up through the Welsh age-groups and knows the setup, coaches and players, not like he qualifies for Wales due to a distant relative.

I think some of the people arguing against it just don't like the Welsh National Team and don't want him playing for them. Doubt we'd have the same complaints if Southgate was calling him up.

As said previously though, Giggs has a minuscule pool of players to choose from compared to Southgate. Beggars can't be choosers & all that.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2020, 05:05:32 pm »
I think some of the people arguing against it just don't like the Welsh National Team and don't want him playing for them. Doubt we'd have the same complaints if Southgate was calling him up.

As said previously though, Giggs has a minuscule pool of players to choose from compared to Southgate. Beggars can't be choosers & all that.

Don't think it's that. It's just funny though, don't get why people are bothered. Funnier still, a few months ago, plenty of us here barely knew much about him and didn't expect this breakthrough from him, yet here we are!

He's a talent, Wales are a small country without a ton of top talent going into the Euros, of course they need as much as they can get! Doesn't mean he'd start games, but what a nice option to have. I hope he gets his call up and gets his debut.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2020, 05:41:12 pm »

How is that even comparable?

England has/had Walker and Trippier, two proven Premier League/Champions League playing right backs.

Wales has a couple right backs plying their trade in midtable Championship obscurity.