Author Topic: Threads - alternative Twitter discussion  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Threads - alternative Twitter discussion
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2023, 09:27:30 am »
Do people not care at all about the data they're giving to these companies?  Meta are notoriously one of the worst companies in the world for hoarding and exploiting user data as it all increases their value as a advertising company and makes it easier for your tech to slowly manipulate you.

This is the company that was caught randomly activating the mic on your phone if you even had Facebook messenger installed, whether you were using it or not.

Twitter is an entertaining mess, akin to watching a burning party bus hurtling towards a cliff edge, but it's not nearly so insidious as anything Zuckerberg has his dirty hands into.

All the right are praising Musk as their saviour and all the left are saying Zuckerberg will save us and all these two really care about is saving all the tiny details of your lives to their giant world spanning database.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2023, 09:42:56 am »
Whenever I get a new phone, the FB and Messenger apps are the first things to go. They're bloated and unnecessary for me. I just use Facebook in Chrome, and install Messenger Lite, which is a bare bones version that's a lot easier on my phone (and hopefully excludes some of the more nefarious shit installed on the main version, but probably not).
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2023, 09:54:40 am »
I don't use FB/IG or threads, but whenever you install any app you should always look through what it's requesting access to in privacy and unless there's a good reason and you want to give access, disable it. I always deny requests for data/hardware access until I know what it's for. On iOS there's a Safety Check wizard under settings -> privacy & security where you can review which contacts and apps you're sharing data with.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2023, 10:15:25 am »
I don't have any social media on my phone for that very reason.

There are plugins that you can install on your web browser, to stop FB tracking you etc., on your PC too.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2023, 07:19:11 pm »
Threads is meant to get an upgrade today at some point with things like a following feed.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/07/18/threads-update-follows-tab/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 07:21:10 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2023, 01:03:04 am »
Threads is meant to get an upgrade today at some point with things like a following feed.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/07/18/threads-update-follows-tab/
After being initially impressed I’m out until the below is sorted (from the article).

Update: For clarification, the new tab is not a place to see content only from accounts you follow. This feature remains under development, according to 9to5Mac’s sources.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #46 on: August 1, 2023, 04:57:19 am »
Forgot there was a Threads Thread.

Just discovered something Threads now has a following feed but it's hidden you have to click the home button to reveal it

what a strange to do, why hide it without telling people

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2023, 04:42:35 pm »
Skynews saying they have just released the browser version of threads.

I like threads but they need to find a way to find easy the people you follow on Twitter

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2023, 01:31:30 pm »
Do people not care at all about the data they're giving to these companies?  Meta are notoriously one of the worst companies in the world for hoarding and exploiting user data as it all increases their value as a advertising company and makes it easier for your tech to slowly manipulate you.

This is the company that was caught randomly activating the mic on your phone if you even had Facebook messenger installed, whether you were using it or not.

Twitter is an entertaining mess, akin to watching a burning party bus hurtling towards a cliff edge, but it's not nearly so insidious as anything Zuckerberg has his dirty hands into.

All the right are praising Musk as their saviour and all the left are saying Zuckerberg will save us and all these two really care about is saving all the tiny details of your lives to their giant world spanning database.

Agree with this, for now I will stay on twitter nothing Zuckerberg has his hands in is any better anyway.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2023, 02:46:32 pm »
Agree with this, for now I will stay on twitter nothing Zuckerberg has his hands in is any better anyway.

His hands aren't bloody with Saudi money though.

As for the data, it's part of the reason why I'll never use them, google already gets more than I'd like.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill