Author Topic: Liverpool vs Southampton - 15:00, Saturday 27th November  (Read 8077 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Liverpool vs Southampton - 15:00, Saturday 27th November
« on: November 25, 2021, 09:22:39 am »
Liverpool vs Southampton

15:00, Saturday 27th October 2021
Anfield, Liverpool
Premier League
Referee: Andre Marriner

Supporters of both Liverpool and Southampton alike could be forgiven for lamenting ‘seasons of two halves’ going into their meeting in early May last season. Having been top of the Premier League at Christmas, following a 7-0 victory away to Crystal Palace, injury-hit Liverpool had won just three of their next fourteen matches up to mid-March. A trio of spring wins against Wolves, Arsenal, and Villa had given slight promise of a late-season fightback, but confidence, hope, and resilience were in extremely short supply after the Reds fell to back-to-back late equalisers to Leeds and Wolves – they sat 7th, 7 points from 4th, going into their final five matches. Southampton’s own impressive opening ‘half’ of the campaign ran until game 17 – a 1-0 home victory against Liverpool, after which they sat 9th, on 26 points and only 3 from the top four (and with a game in hand). The Saints would somewhat collapse from this point on, however, taking just 8 points from their next thirteen matches and dropping to 15th.

Though still at nowhere near their best, the Reds were able to claim a professional 2-0 home victory courtesy of goals from Sadio Mane and – his first for Liverpool – Thiago. The win nudged Liverpool into the top six – though supporters’ hopes of qualifications remained more in hearts than heads – whilst defeat extended Southampton’s dismal run amidst a state of anonymous safety. The run-in would prove exhilarating for Jurgen Klopp’s side – Mo Salah’s breakaway late goal to seal a 4-2 victory at Old Trafford felt like a turning point, whilst Alisson’s headed injury-time winner at The Hawthorns reminded Liverpool supporters of just why they should never give up. ‘Head up high’ and ‘with hope in your heart’ indeed. With renewed confidence & belief, two more victories (against Burnley and Crystal Palace) saw the Reds finish an unlikely – given the context – 3rd in the league. Though never really in danger going into their final four, Southampton too claimed a couple of wins – 3-1 against Crystal Palace and Fulham – before defeats to Leeds and West Ham saw them finish a lowly 16th, but 15 points clear of the drop zone.

After a seven-season absence (two of which were spent as low as League One, for the first time since 1960), it seems fair to say that Southampton have settled back to familiar territory: an only-occasionally-in-trouble top-half-of-the-bottom-half top-flight team, as they were for much of the period between promotion in 1978 and their relegation in 2005 (they’re also behind only the Premier League ever-presents and Manchester City in terms of their length of current stay). The likes of Paul Jones, Claus Lundekvam, and Matt le Tissier are the names that spring to mind from my own childhood, whilst I also recall Egil Ostenstad, James Beattie, and Marian Pahars being amongst the goals for the Saints. They finished a solid 14th in their return season, under Nigel Adkins, but performed really well with a talented squad* that finished 8th, 7th, 6th, & 8th between 2014 & 2017. They’ve reverted to type a little during the last four years, and – under Ralph Hassenhuttl – appear a somewhat unusual side who deliver half-and-half campaigns of the good and the very bad (see 2019-20 and 2020-21, across which their form was the 5th best in the league over a 43 game period).

(*and one particular team that lined up with: Forster, Clyne, Alderweireld, Fonte, Bertrand, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Davis, Tadic, Mane, Pelle).

Southampton’s start to the 2021-22 campaign has been…well…very Southampton. The visitors were poor during the early stints of the season, taking just 4 points (from draws) from their opening seven matches, but performed well between the last pair of international breaks, going undefeated and claiming 10 points from four matches – last time out, they lost 2-1 away to then-bottom of the table Norwich City. Southampton can be a really difficult team to predict – looking at their run of fixtures through December and the festive period, it’s hard to call whether it presents opportunity or jeopardy. What’s for sure, however, is that a trip to Anfield represents an unlikely potential scalp rather a game they’ll be expecting multiple points from – sitting 13th, clear of the relegation zone and in touch with the top-half, a solid performance may be more important than the result when it comes to establishing a foundation of confidence for the weeks ahead.

It’s perhaps fair to say that the Reds have started the season with modest success – they sit 3rd, just out of touch with leaders Chelsea, and are the league’s top scorers. Four draws and a defeat to West Ham mean that Klopp’s side have yet to truly build a head of steam in the Premier League, however, and even the emphatic defeat of an in-form Arsenal side is difficult to read too much into. Leaders Chelsea face both Liverpool and Man City either side of their January FA Cup fixture, in what is likely to be a pivotal pair of fixtures – to ensure genuine confidence going into that Chelsea game, you sense that Liverpool must be no further away from the summit than the current 4 points. Saturday’s game represents the first of a run of league matches to see out 2021 that Liverpool will be expected to win each one of, and professional efficiency will be key through this period.

Southampton – with a free midweek in which to prepare for their trip north – are almost at full strength ahead of this weekend’s match. With his team one of the league’s worst performers in front of goal, Hassenhuttl will be pleased to welcome Jack Stephens back to his defence in order to provide some reinforcement – not only against Sadio Mane, Diogo Jota, and Mo Salah on Saturday, but also to try to help tip the balance during the coming weeks and prevent potential wins & draws becoming draws & defeats. Liverpool have qualified for the Champions League knockout stages with two games to spare and so had the luxury of making some changes midweek, though may be more restricted at the weekend – Klopp remains without injured Bobby Firmino and Harvey Elliott, whilst Saturday may come a few days too early for the midfield pair of Naby Keita and Curtis Jones.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Liverpool vs Southampton - 15:00, Saturday 27th November
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 09:25:26 am »
Think we might actually see the mythical Thiago, Fabinho, Henderson midfield start this one.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 04:10:19 pm »
Lets hope we give Hassenhuttl something to really cry about this time.

We should have a selection headache in midfield which is nice.

Marriner - ugh.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 04:11:10 pm »
Jones at the U18 game looked ok so I assume he's not that far off

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 04:21:01 pm »
Nice intro.
Can be no excuses not to win this comprehensively, back to full strength ..
looking forward to watching Thiago agaoin, accelerating into the flow that could see us to success again..
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 04:39:27 pm »
Let's just go out there and win. Kostas to start please.  Sorry, Robbo :-\

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 05:17:58 pm »
A fixture we should be winning. Seems like we'll have a few players available to us that we didn't have last week, so that's nice. We couldn't really play our greatest football last night, so I'm hoping this is more in line with the stuff we played during the 2nd half of that Arsenal match. These can be pretty poor, so hopefully we can get this finished before the end and we can get a few legs rested for the derby.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 06:38:19 pm »
Great OP Jack.

My first trip to Anfield since the final game in front of fans in March 2020. Looking forward to it.

Anyone got advice regarding the ticket system? Does it still take ages to get in the ground?

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 06:53:40 pm »
Very well constructed OP.
Games are absolute thick and fast now.
Must win game in my opinion…if we let Chelsea get too far ahead it will be extremely difficult to catch them.
I’d play. Alisson, TAA, VVD, Konate, Kostas, Fabinho, Hendo, Thiago, Mane, Origi, Salah.

Not sure Jota fit

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 06:55:08 pm »
Great OP Jack.

My first trip to Anfield since the final game in front of fans in March 2020. Looking forward to it.

Anyone got advice regarding the ticket system? Does it still take ages to get in the ground?
Been much smoother of late. Shouldnt be an issue
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 06:57:35 pm »
Great OP Jack.

Worked fine for me every time. A lot of the problems to be fair were the fault of people not getting NFC up on the phone, not reading how to use it etc. Also lots of Android owners making life hard for themselves trying to be different.  ;)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 06:58:44 pm »
Last season we won this 2-0 but needed a 90th minute goal to put it away .... we were in that grinding out results phase. just need to take them seriously !

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 07:00:28 pm »
Great OP Jack.

Welcome back. System is working ok now. Major difference I notice is that Anfield is now a cashless venue, so need you card or phone to buy anything even a programme

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2021, 07:06:47 pm »
If everyone just used the bar code from the start there'd be no issues. It's only when people try and use the reader on their phone that it sometimes doesn't work. Bar code works every time easily.

I think it will be:

Becker

Trent
Matip
VVD
Robbo

Fabinho
Hendo
Thiago

Ox
Mane
Mo

Get Jota fully fit for Everton.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 07:13:55 pm »
Excellent - thanks for the update guys. I can have my two (5) pints in timely fashion now!

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 07:17:22 pm »
Think we might actually see the mythical Thiago, Fabinho, Henderson midfield start this one.
It’s Everton on Wednesday after this, so I’m not so sure
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 07:23:45 pm »
I stiil shiver thinking about that 3-3 in the dim and distant past of the early 2000s.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 07:30:36 pm »
I stiil shiver thinking about that 3-3 in the dim and distant past of the early 2000s.

Marians Pahars!

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 07:46:22 pm »
Is it just me or do we seem to be having a lot more Saturday 3pm kick offs than usual?
Comfortable 4-0 win I reckon.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 07:48:31 pm »
This fixture always reminds me of the famous Emlyn Hughes goal.

Maybe Thiago can do the honours this time.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2021, 07:51:35 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Really factual op thanks Jack! I suspect we will be usual back 5, expected front three and midfield of Hendo, Fab and Ox with Thiago to come on as required.
Expect a routine win by three goals snd then I to Ev.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Captain Caveman

• Peter Andre's Disney-sponsored rapping cousin
  • Legacy Fan
  • Erik, Igor and Momo.
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2021, 08:00:01 pm »

I always reminisce about that 3-0 cup win back in 1906 when Sam Raybould scored a famous hattrick.

Sabu retch at putrid "fan", born to screech, doom'd to lose.
MANCHESTER EVERTON AND FUCK.
Says it all

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2021, 09:50:26 pm »
Marians Pahars!

The Latvian Michael Owen!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2021, 07:33:57 am »
Weather horrendous today and tomorrow, so we'll have to adapt to the conditions. Strong winds will affect the game.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2021, 11:37:10 am »
3 Premier League games, including 2 away, over the next 7 days.

Arguably this is the easiest of those games on paper. Think we’ll see some rotation over the 3 games.

I’d expect Konate, Tsimikas, AOC, Milner, Origi to start at least 1 game each over the next 3. Think Origi either starts tomorrow or gets his customary start against Everton.

My guess for tomorrow:

Alisson

TAA
Konate
VvD
Tsimikas

Fabinho
AOC
Thiago

Salah
Origi
Jota
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2021, 12:22:57 pm »
Thanks Jack, nice OP

Weather horrendous today and tomorrow, so we'll have to adapt to the conditions. Strong winds will affect the game.

Yikes, gale force winds forecast !! levels the playing field for sure

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 03:10:55 pm »
It’s Everton on Wednesday after this, so I’m not so sure

We can't play these soon enough with the state they are in.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2021, 03:52:50 pm »
Thanks Jack for your OP, a fair summary of them and us so far in the league.

Good to see some of our injured players back in the squad and getting minutes in midweek. Jurgens got a tough call to make in Midfield between Fab, Henderson, Ox and Thiago. For me it’s between Ox and Henderson for the third spot and right now I really want to see Ox continue to build on his recent good displays.

The only other real choice if we intend on being as strong as possible, is probably Robertson or Tsimikas. Robbo looked really sharp when he came on so I hope he takes his place in the XI.

I know we've stuttered a few times in games we should have won, but this shouldn’t be one of those. Hoping for a comfortable afternoon similar to last weeks second half v Arsenal.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 06:16:33 pm »
Strong as possible for me. Get the points on the board.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 06:40:13 pm »
Smashing OP Jack, wonderful mate.
Thank you.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 06:45:32 pm »
I always reminisce about that 3-0 cup win back in 1906 when Sam Raybould scored a famous hattrick.

I never liked Sam Raybould mate, he was fucking shite. I much preferred Harry Chambers, who done it in a much more difficult era of the game.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2021, 10:23:19 pm »
We got this.
Time to put the hare back in his hutch
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 10:28:49 pm »
I think we should give our ex-Southamton players a good booing. Show them fuckers how to do it properly.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2021, 10:33:52 pm »
3 Premier League games, including 2 away, over the next 7 days.

Arguably this is the easiest of those games on paper. Think we’ll see some rotation over the 3 games.

I’d expect Konate, Tsimikas, AOC, Milner, Origi to start at least 1 game each over the next 3. Think Origi either starts tomorrow or gets his customary start against Everton.

My guess for tomorrow:

Alisson

TAA
Konate
VvD
Tsimikas

Fabinho
AOC
Thiago

Salah
Origi
Jota
Origi being saved for Everton imo.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2021, 11:18:29 pm »
Thanks Jack; you obviously put a lot of thought and work into the post.

I’ll think we may need to grind out a win against these; although a comfortable 3-0 win would be nice.

Salah is in such great form these days and I’m looking forwards to another one of his excellent displays.
#JFT97

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2021, 11:40:15 pm »
Any chance this gets postponed because of the wind?

Offline LOHAG

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2021, 11:47:46 pm »
Depends on the pre-match meal I suppose.
Roast potatoes and onion gravy gets me blowing over mid to tall trees.
But stick to the pasta and chicken and at best I’ll ruffle my shorts.

Offline Red-4-Ever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2021, 11:56:12 pm »
What's the world come to? Years ago people used to piss on each other's legs on the Kop, now someone worries the match might get binned off because of farting? This woke shit's gotten out of hand  :wanker

;)

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2021, 12:26:43 am »
What's the world come to? Years ago people used to piss on each other's legs on the Kop, now someone worries the match might get binned off because of farting? This woke shit's gotten out of hand  :wanker

;)

Haaaaaaaaa!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2021, 02:19:41 am »
Any chance this gets postponed because of the wind?
Depends on the pre-match meal I suppose.
Roast potatoes and onion gravy gets me blowing over mid to tall trees.
But stick to the pasta and chicken and at best I’ll ruffle my shorts.
 ;)

ha ha  :lmao