Author Topic: Brian Clough  (Read 2138 times)

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
Brian Clough
« on: November 7, 2021, 12:07:45 pm »
It is infuriating, yet hardly surprising, that three decades on we're still correcting commentaries on Hillsborough and exposing the realities. When the decision was taken at The Guardian to illustrate Craig Broomfield's autobiography My Life with Brian Clough, the passage chosen was Hillsborough 1989. It used the disaster as a hook to draw people to buying the book. It made no mention of the hurt caused by Clough to the bereaved and survivors in his ghost-written (by a Sun journalist!) autobiography. Yesterday The Guardian published my response. I was restricted to 250 words:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/05/brian-clough-role-in-creating-the-myth-that-fans-were-to-blame-at-hillsborough 

I wrote a more detailed account of Clough's appalling assertions in No Last Rights: The Denial of Justice and the Promotion of Myth in the Aftermath of the Hillsborough Disaster. The entire book is on redandwhitekop under my archive. The section 'The Clough Affair' is in Chapter Five (Media Impact After Hillsborough), pages 276-285.

'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
Re: Brian Clough
« Reply #1 on: November 7, 2021, 01:19:19 pm »
Was your letter published in the hard-copy version mate?  Otherwise whats with such a restricted character limit?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 7, 2021, 09:32:00 pm »
Brilliant work and advocacy as usual Phil.

Take care mate.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3 on: November 7, 2021, 11:08:45 pm »
It is infuriating, yet hardly surprising, that three decades on we're still correcting commentaries on Hillsborough and exposing the realities. When the decision was taken at The Guardian to illustrate Craig Broomfield's autobiography My Life with Brian Clough, the passage chosen was Hillsborough 1989. It used the disaster as a hook to draw people to buying the book. It made no mention of the hurt caused by Clough to the bereaved and survivors in his ghost-written (by a Sun journalist!) autobiography. Yesterday The Guardian published my response. I was restricted to 250 words:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/05/brian-clough-role-in-creating-the-myth-that-fans-were-to-blame-at-hillsborough 

I wrote a more detailed account of Clough's appalling assertions in No Last Rights: The Denial of Justice and the Promotion of Myth in the Aftermath of the Hillsborough Disaster. The entire book is on redandwhitekop under my archive. The section 'The Clough Affair' is in Chapter Five (Media Impact After Hillsborough), pages 276-285.

Interesting that Broomfield says that Clough's alcoholism started after Hillsborough, although he appears to have had a drink problem well before then.

At the time I out down his false claims down to his illness.

A sad end to a great manager.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2021, 11:30:06 pm »
Great letter, Phil. The idea that Clough turned to drink after Hillsborough is contradicted by many anecdotes from journos and players.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #5 on: November 8, 2021, 10:36:53 am »
Thanks for the much needed response to that article.

I too picked up on the original article in which Craig Bloomsfield effectively sought to just brush Cloughs subsequent commentary on Hillsborough under the rug and excuse it as "alcoholism". The interview also talked up the "menacing air" of the day as if somewhat attributing that to the outcome.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #6 on: November 8, 2021, 11:55:53 am »
Great letter Phil. Personally think the man was an idiot at best and probably an insidious human being at his core, just look at his comments on Justin Fashanu.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7 on: November 8, 2021, 03:10:58 pm »
He was a fucking wrong'un, and no surprise his bile is still being spouted many years after his death
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: November 8, 2021, 03:11:42 pm »
Great manager.  Also a twat.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 8, 2021, 03:19:37 pm »

Thanks for the post Phil.

Also anyone know how I find the book in the archive? Had a quick search around but can't find it.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #10 on: November 8, 2021, 03:21:12 pm »
I liked his politics, thought he was a good manager, what he did, particularly with Forest was unprecedented but he just didn't know when to keep his mouth shut, particularly with things he clearly didn't understand
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #11 on: November 8, 2021, 03:32:00 pm »
I liked his politics, thought he was a good manager, what he did, particularly with Forest was unprecedented but he just didn't know when to keep his mouth shut, particularly with things he clearly didn't understand

Always an arrogant twat, he increasingly began to believe his own legend, and gleefully sought to live up to that.

Cuntish comments, and even more cuntish to not just refuse to correct his own failure of understanding, but double-down on it.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 8, 2021, 03:34:24 pm »

This.

It's one thing to not understand, quite another to stubbornly refuse to be educated and stick to an opinion against all evidence to the contrary because you're too bloody minded to admit you might have been wrong.

That was a big failing of him as both a manager and a human being.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #13 on: November 8, 2021, 03:43:59 pm »
Can't deny his achievements as a manager. But after he was overlooked to be England manager, he went very bitter.
He was always outspoken, be it Ott. But he was also always after a reaction and my God he got one here.
He had a chance to retract his comments but didn't. TWAT !!!  :wanker

Was going to post a video from youtube but I don't want to disrespect the OP.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: November 8, 2021, 03:45:52 pm »

Indeed.

As for the assertion that Clough`s alcoholism stemmed from guilt over Hillsborough and his small part in it (in the scheme of things) then that is easily refutable just by reading accounts from well before then.

The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15 on: November 8, 2021, 05:55:07 pm »
He was a fucking wrong'un, and no surprise his bile is still being spouted many years after his death
As Phil says, his contributions (if that’s the term) over Hillsborough we’re utterly devastating for so many.

However, he is a hugely conflicted character.  He did so so much for the people of Nottingham when he managed Forest. This came from him,  not the club. My mum worked at a home for the maladjusted (as it was called then), the support he gave them was incredible. Many other  people would tell you the same

And this makes his response to Hillsborough even more  bizarre and destructive….

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #16 on: November 8, 2021, 09:28:40 pm »
Thanks for the post Phil.

Also anyone know how I find the book in the archive? Had a quick search around but can't find it.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312346

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan