Author Topic: Dissertation topics- Linking football to accounting  (Read 976 times)

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Dissertation topics- Linking football to accounting
« on: September 8, 2021, 12:51:29 pm »
Hi guys. It’s that time. 4th year of my accounting degree starts next week and I’m trying to plan in advance and trying to think of some accounting dissertation topics which I can link back to football. I’ve got a few ideas currently but trying to see if there’s some more interesting topics out there. Some of the topics I’ve thought about so far are

- Ownership models
- impact of money on UK football
- TV money and the transfer market inflation (and the affects it has on lower league club).

Any more suggestions to look at would be more than welcome.

Thank you

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Dissertation topics- Linking football to accounting
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2021, 01:12:05 pm »
If you wanted to be topical you could look at the financial impact of COVID on sides, maybe compare the impact on top sides to non-league.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #2 on: September 8, 2021, 01:26:01 pm »
If you wanted to be topical you could look at the financial impact of COVID on sides, maybe compare the impact on top sides to non-league.

Sounds a good idea but I don’t know how much literature I’d be able to find on such a recent event?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #3 on: September 8, 2021, 01:28:33 pm »
Some of the Swiss Ramble stuff might be worth looking at to get ideas of what you might concentrate on if it ties in.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #4 on: September 8, 2021, 01:34:02 pm »
Get Al 666 to write it for you  :P
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: September 8, 2021, 01:38:35 pm »
Hi guys. It’s that time. 4th year of my accounting degree starts next week and I’m trying to plan in advance and trying to think of some accounting dissertation topics which I can link back to football. I’ve got a few ideas currently but trying to see if there’s some more interesting topics out there. Some of the topics I’ve thought about so far are

- Ownership models
- impact of money on UK football
- TV money and the transfer market inflation (and the affects it has on lower league club).

Any more suggestions to look at would be more than welcome.

Thank you

- Cats and their fiscal earnings based on the ratio of rat to mouse dispersal in an industrial zone
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #6 on: September 8, 2021, 01:47:32 pm »
Some of the Swiss Ramble stuff might be worth looking at to get ideas of what you might concentrate on if it ties in.

Cheers will keep that in mind

Get Al 666 to write it for you  :P

:D

- Cats and their fiscal earnings based on the ratio of rat to mouse dispersal in an industrial zone

That sounds ideal. Everyone stop suggesting anything else. We have a winner!!  ;D

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: September 8, 2021, 02:38:38 pm »
How much the Glazers have taken out of Man United compared to how much Abu Dhabi have pumped into Man City - my guess is 500,000M v 1 Billion more or less
Barcelona’s situation could be your PhD topic  ;D

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #8 on: September 9, 2021, 10:18:01 am »
The players' value in terms of accounting and as assets to the club. I'm not really well versed in the world of finances and I always find it fascinating how players are looked at in financial terms from the club's perspective compared to how fans look at their value, because for fans it's basically how much is the fee we have to pay or can get for a player and maybe how high are his wages, but it's much more complicated for the clubs I think. That said, I don't know how interesting or special that is for someone who is clued up about it...

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #9 on: September 9, 2021, 11:14:00 am »
How important is the Premier league to the UK economy.

What are the sources of income internally and externally (from abroad) for UK premier league. How much money comes from overseas to float the big spending Premier league clubs. Domestic TV money, overseas TV money, ticket money vs. stadium debt

Compare financial accounts of the premier league clubs from 2000, 2010, 2020 to see the growth changes

I also think a fun one would be to look at some catastrophic cases like Sunderland where you could take a forensic accounting analysis of what went wrong and how they can plummet two leagues in two years.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2021, 01:05:41 pm »
The players' value in terms of accounting and as assets to the club. I'm not really well versed in the world of finances and I always find it fascinating how players are looked at in financial terms from the club's perspective compared to how fans look at their value, because for fans it's basically how much is the fee we have to pay or can get for a player and maybe how high are his wages, but it's much more complicated for the clubs I think. That said, I don't know how interesting or special that is for someone who is clued up about it...

Thank you. That’s an interesting one. Done a subject on that last year where we touched on a bit on how players are seen on the balance sheets etc especially youth players coming through the system and how they were valued. Was definitely an interesting topic and one I’ll keep in mind.

How important is the Premier league to the UK economy.

What are the sources of income internally and externally (from abroad) for UK premier league. How much money comes from overseas to float the big spending Premier league clubs. Domestic TV money, overseas TV money, ticket money vs. stadium debt

Compare financial accounts of the premier league clubs from 2000, 2010, 2020 to see the growth changes

I also think a fun one would be to look at some catastrophic cases like Sunderland where you could take a forensic accounting analysis of what went wrong and how they can plummet two leagues in two years.

Thank you for the suggestions. Some very interesting topics there which I’ll do a bit more research on. Really like the sound of the Sunderland case. One I’ll be thinking about when choosing my topic

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 07:12:14 am »
Did you ever finish your dissertation?