Author Topic: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States  (Read 167979 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
The elections are done, Trump is finished.  So thought I would set up a new thread to escape the clutter of Trump's impending implosion. A nice, clean start where we can focus on some sanity.  It will be good to move on. :wave

Recent developments: Merrick Garland is an excellent choice for AG, and fitting for a man robbed of a SCOTUS position.

The Senate: The Democrats have taken nominal control of the senate, but Joe Manchin remains a potential sticking point.  That said, Romney seems amenable so Biden should have little trouble getting his key cabinet picks through. 

What's most important will be taking control of the committees that have stonewalled the Democrats for the past four years, and getting on top of the legislation sent to the Senate from the House, but found its way into the tame black hole Minority Moscow Mitch uses for a filing system.

Speculation: is there a place, does anyone think, for Bernie Sanders in this government?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Re: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2021, 07:26:59 pm »
Ooh it's nice and clean in here...not a trace of swamp smell. Delightful

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2021, 07:31:18 pm »
Hopefully he can heal the divisions caused by the 45th president and bring some unity and calm to America.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2021, 07:33:17 pm »
I'd be interested to know what our American Reds are hoping to see done over the coming months.

Or maybe what they think is possible under the current circumstances.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 8, 2021, 07:46:39 pm »
I'd be interested to know what our American Reds are hoping to see done over the coming months.

Or maybe what they think is possible under the current circumstances.

Well I'm no American, but with the Senate onside Biden doesn't have to grovel for scraps like he might have had to do.  Can certainly expect that stimulus check to go forward, and some coherent Covid legislation.  People are desperate for federal support and coordination.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 8, 2021, 08:01:11 pm »
Just on my remark about whether Bernie Sanders would get a job in the government:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0VMSXOmVlhw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0VMSXOmVlhw</a>

A convenient truth?

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 8, 2021, 08:04:30 pm »
With everything going on, I've not actually seen what Biden says he is going to do as President. Where is the best place to get info on him?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2021, 08:05:44 pm »
With everything going on, I've not actually seen what Biden says he is going to do as President. Where is the best place to get info on him?

His website?

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 8, 2021, 08:08:10 pm »

Well there are videos on the MSNBC youtube page discussing cabinet picks etc.  I must admit, I've not seen a lot of policy myself either - other than Biden wanting to invoke the Defence Production act to move against Covid.  He's not mentioned much about the economy that I've seen, but I think he's had to be cagey up until now because the Georgia elections.

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 8, 2021, 08:08:11 pm »
His website?

Thats just your standard guff, I'm looking more for info on him, what his policies are, what can and cannot be achieved, that kid of stuff

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 8, 2021, 08:12:15 pm »
Just on my remark about whether Bernie Sanders would get a job in the government:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0VMSXOmVlhw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0VMSXOmVlhw</a>

A convenient truth?
No, I don't think so. Biden stated that the suggestion actually came from Sanders. I very much doubt he would have said that if it were not true. I think you (and we all) have become too accustomed to the President habitually lying that we are unwilling to take anything at face value anymore. ;)
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 8, 2021, 08:19:57 pm »
No, I don't think so. Biden stated that the suggestion actually came from Sanders. I very much doubt he would have said that if it were not true. I think you (and we all) have become too accustomed to the President habitually lying that we are unwilling to take anything at face value anymore. ;)

I agree.  And it also makes perfect sense.  No point risking the Senate with a special election after just getting control of it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #12 on: January 8, 2021, 08:42:36 pm »
I do hope someone has been making a list of all executive orders, policy changes and law changes done since the Jan 20th of 2017 and collectively Ctrl+Z the shit out of them.

Which brings me to a question. Now that the dems control the congress and the senate, does anyone know which policies require a simple majority and which policies require an absolute majority?

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 8, 2021, 09:20:08 pm »
I just hope he is boring. Politicians need to be boring again.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 8, 2021, 09:56:26 pm »

It's a huge topic.

- Biden is going to be running into an economic conflict with China, accelerated by Trump.  Biden's natural style is to build alliances and work together, so he might be able to do something with this by building alliances in that region.
- Biden will likely rejoin the Paris Climate Accord
- Remake a lot of the European alliances which struggled under Trump due to Trump's unstable decision making
- He's an establishment politician which promises 'more of the same' but in some respects the next 2 years he will be under massive pressure from the progressive left of the party to enable some of their agenda
- Economic constraints however will mean he can't do much of this and will need to pursue a pro business approach to get USA growth up post-Covid, and deal with the astronomical debt.  Expect a few token stimulus cheques thrown to the public.
- All that said, USA citizens have been maxing out personal debt and if the Covid crisis kicks up a gear with the new variant we're going to see a huge problem.  Corporate debt is high, household debt is high and rising and government debt is astronomical.  This means there is very little in the system for Biden to unplug unless he fully embraces Fed-funded stimulus direct to Americans
- That said, Fed Chief Yellen, Biden's choice, is not a fan of MMT so how far this is pushed depends on the difficulty of the situation and is more something for the economics thread.
- The senate win in some respects will make it very difficult for Biden to be a two-term president due to the expectations vs realities he has to deal with.  The Trump effect works for both sides when it comes to catalysing turnout, and once minority groups realise that their platform isn't being listened to despite having the house and senate, it's unlikely you'll see as much engagement in the next cycle and this may cost the Dems.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 8, 2021, 11:54:05 pm »
Re: comment above. I don’t think there’s any chance of him wanting to be a two termer. I think Harris is the Democrat candidate in 24.

I genuinely believe it when Biden says he ran out of a sense of public duty and the fact he was the best placed Democrat to beat Trump.

Offline gravey101

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2021, 12:23:17 am »
> I'd be interested to know what our American Reds are hoping to see done over the coming months.
> Or maybe what they think is possible under the current circumstances.

I am 53 and have lived in the USA for 28 years.

I would say I am looking short term for
- getting a clear coherent plan out there for covid and managing the vaccine
- expansion of the ACA

medium term
- reestablish positions on climate control around the world
- rebuild relationships with the rest of the world and our traditional allies in Europe and the UK in particualar.
- police reform
- tax reform
- gun reform (gentle steps)
- election reform
- military cuts
- affordable college

I think much of it is possible if we do 2 things
- try not to do too much too soon
- Then work on winning small battles and pushing the line forward.

Actually i just want sanity again.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 9, 2021, 03:48:48 am »
> I'd be interested to know what our American Reds are hoping to see done over the coming months.

- expansion of the ACA

medium term
- rebuild relationships with the rest of the world and our traditional allies in Europe and the UK in particualar.
- police reform
- tax reform
- election reform
- military cuts
- affordable college

I think it's going to be a massive job just getting various agencies functioning again, fixing all the stuff that trump broke and fighting with the senate to pass the 600+ bills that moscow mitch has been sitting on.
I really fear that just getting back a functional government will use all their available resources, at the midterms the GOP will then say 'look, the dems have done nothing' and the dems will lose the senate again and that will be it.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 9, 2021, 09:05:27 am »
Hopefully there won’t be many posts in this thread. I’m sure this administration will just go about their business in a calm manner and not do anything massively stupid or controversial.

Of course if it is a busy thread it’s hopefully because they’re doing a brilliant job.

Nice to have a human being back in charge of the USA again.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 9, 2021, 12:44:07 pm »

- expansion of the ACA

medium term
- police reform
- tax reform
- election reform
- military cuts
- affordable college

Can't blame you for wanting some sanity again mate and I actually think the events this week will help to achieve this.

Hopefully it'll wake up a few politicians here in Europe that the far right are dangerous to all our security.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2021, 12:54:55 pm »
Rick Wilson, on the Daily Beast's New Abnormal podcast thinks Mitch Mcconnell will try and flip Manchin to officially become a Republican.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 9, 2021, 01:27:51 pm »
Rick Wilson, on the Daily Beast's New Abnormal podcast thinks Mitch Mcconnell will try and flip Manchin to officially become a Republican.
Maybe Murkowsk will go independent and vote with the Democrats so that take control of The House.

I know, I know. But if she feels compelled to leave the Republican Party, my feeling is that she will not then vote for McConnell to remain leader of the Senate.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #22 on: January 9, 2021, 01:33:37 pm »
I just hope he is boring. Politicians need to be boring again.
He's not called Sleepy Joe for nothing

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #23 on: January 9, 2021, 01:55:36 pm »
A lovely thread title to see
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 9, 2021, 07:02:39 pm »
I always wanted Bernie and was unimpressed by Biden. I liked him during the debates and from what I knew of him, but Bernie really inspired me.

So far he hasn't only taken every correct step so far, he's gone beyond that. A true statesman with a good heart and, crucially, who ACTUALLY 'tells it like it is.' I became emotional during his address on the night of the insurrection by those terrorists. In this world of absolute fucking nonsense, I hadn't realised how powerful it was to hear a politician actually recognise reality, for them to relay the facts with no bullshit. Uncompromising but reassuring. Honest but forceful.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 05:12:09 am »
I highly doubt he going to give up being a chairman of the Energy and natural resource. He also not up for reelection till 2024. He like very moderate but generally on major issues is on board with the Dems.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 08:05:09 am »

Lowering the age of Medicaid/Obamacare five years repeatedly, until enough of the population receives it, sounds like a smart path!

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 09:33:53 am »
I lost count of the number of times I heard Biden start a speech with the phrase "On day one...". That's going to be a very busy day trying to implement all his objectives & begin to unravel Trumps Gordian knot of incompetence & malevolence. Without a compliant, or at least amenable, senate it may be impossible even over the course of 4 years. The liberal wish list is too long & the Trumpian mess too messy!

He wouldn't have been my choice, but he seems like an actual decent human being and is exactly what is needed for these times. I wish him the best.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 09:39:34 am »
With any luck, he’ll be the 47th president.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2021, 09:46:51 am »
I lost count of the number of times I heard Biden start a speech with the phrase "On day one...". That's going to be a very busy day trying to implement all his objectives & begin to unravel Trumps Gordian knot of incompetence & malevolence. Without a compliant, or at least amenable, senate it may be impossible even over the course of 4 years.

Democrats now control the Senate after last weeks run-offs.

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2021, 10:53:26 am »

I’m aware of that, we’ll see how it works out when it comes to contentious legislation . At this point anything could be contentious to either side.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2021, 11:32:13 am »

They won't on day one though. Kamala Harris' replacment won't be getting sworn in until a few days later I think.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2021, 12:04:32 pm »

He does but he still needs to listen to more moderate voices.  For example the $2k stimulus cheques seem to be a non-starter because of this issue even if Harris comes forward to break the tie - you need to get yourself a tie in the first place.

The larger issue is the public understanding from the left appears to be 'we have the house and senate' and some representatives have been rather full of bombast when it comes to promoting some of their more radical bills.  We'll have to see how this squares itself when we're actually seeing Biden deal with one of his many issues which are rapidly piling up.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2021, 02:04:30 pm »
Immediately Biden will want to contain Covid. Good luck with that one.

I suppose the first things he needs to do is draw up a list of priorities for his first 2-years before the 2022 Primaries. The balance will be what's important to him,  what he knows he can get through with Manchin on board and what he can attached to the budget process.

Ultimately I'm sure he'll want to look at voter reform, anything to stop voter suppression, new judges and legislation that seeks to ensure a fairer society.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 02:11:53 pm »
Immediately Biden will want to contain Covid. Good luck with that one.

I suppose the first things he needs to do is draw up a list of priorities for his first 2-years before the 2022 Primaries. The balance will be what's important to him,  what he knows he can get through with Manchin on board and what he can attached to the budget process.

Ultimately I'm sure he'll want to look at voter reform, anything to stop voter suppression, new judges and legislation that seeks to ensure a fairer society.
Yep, surprising how people just shrug their shoulders thinking it's a minor issue, illegally purging millions of your opponents votes off the electoral list like the Republicans did should be taken extremely serious. make no mistake the Tories will do it over here if it's met with apathy by the public.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2021, 02:34:18 pm »
With any luck, he’ll be the 47th president.

He'll still be the 46th if he's re-elected
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2021, 02:36:56 pm »
He'll still be the 46th if he's re-elected

I think the implication was that Trump gets removed early and Pence becomes the (short-lived) 46th President.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2021, 02:42:03 pm »
I think the implication was that Trump gets removed early and Pence becomes the (short-lived) 46th President.

D'oh!
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2021, 02:51:21 pm »

Precisely!

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2021, 04:14:13 pm »

Yeah.  As I've said before, though, Pence would likely not assume the title.  He would execute the duties as an acting-president.  I don't think he's in any mood to burst the Biden-46 bubble.

Anyway, talk like that is for the other thread.  Let's stick to policy and the future here. :)

For anybody interested, here's the wiki page for the new, 117th Congress:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/117th_United_States_Congress

It states that the Democrats will not control the Senate any sooner than January 20th.  That has some interesting implications for an impeachment, based on what Elmo said about Harris' replacement not being sworn in until several days later.  But as I said above, I'll put that in the other thread.

Popcorn's Art