Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 796120 times)

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2020, 09:54:19 pm »
Knew there must be one I hadn’t thought of

Apparently Riedle was the only one signed directly after winning the CL. Sturridge arrived half a season later so he also falls into that category.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2020, 09:57:48 pm »
What a signing. Probably the biggest marque name we have signed since Torres.

Finally an apt replacement for Xabi  8)

I'm guessing you've never taken drugs. Is that right?

Offline MancEunuchian

• Manc
  • Main Stander
  • On the piss with Georgie Best
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2020, 09:59:52 pm »
Think I'm gonna be sick  :puke2

Offline aditya0912

• Kopite
« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2020, 10:05:44 pm »
Way beyond what torres was at the time. Biggest signing we've ever made, certainly in the time we've been off global appeal. Mad that basically no one else had a chance of signing him except us. Amazing. Can't wait to see him play

Not denying it but situation is bit different, Thiago is coming to PL champs as his last biggest move, Torres a world class striker at that time who was leaving his boyhood club for a club that was 3/4th best in England having rejected top 2 earlier
Thank You, Rafa Benitez

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2020, 10:16:50 pm »
Welcome Thiago!  :scarf

We've come a long way with utter quality players like this signing for us,from the Hodge summer of Joe Cole,Konchesky,Poulsen etc..

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2020, 10:20:21 pm »
Welcome Thiago!  :scarf

We've come a long way with utter quality players like this signing for us,from the Hodge summer of Joe Cole,Konchesky,Poulsen etc..

What a difference 10 years makes, feels like a lifetime ago. Absolutely buzzing about this, world class bit of business by the club.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2020, 10:21:45 pm »
Not denying it but situation is bit different, Thiago is coming to PL champs as his last biggest move, Torres a world class striker at that time who was leaving his boyhood club for a club that was 3/4th best in England having rejected top 2 earlier

I don't think Torres was World Class before joining us. He definitely had the potential, but there were actually question marks over how prolific he was. He averaged around 14 goals a seasons in La Liga. Plus Atletico weren't then what they are today, so even though we weren't what we are now, it was still a big step up for him.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2020, 10:25:48 pm »
Think I'm gonna be sick  :puke2

I think Moyes got it right when he pulled the plug on this and went for Fellaini instead.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline aditya0912

• Kopite
« Reply #208 on: September 18, 2020, 10:26:35 pm »
I don't think Torres was World Class before joining us. He definitely had the potential, but there were actually question marks over how prolific he was. He averaged around 14 goals a seasons in La Liga. Plus Atletico weren't then what they are today, so even though we weren't what we are now, it was still a big step up for him.

He was the next big thing for Spain, kind of like Rooney for England. Had rejected moves to United /Chelsea earlier. Definitely was a signing which pushed us one notch higher. One similarity in both situation is the manager being one of the biggest reason for the moves
Thank You, Rafa Benitez

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2020, 10:37:01 pm »

Yeah, I agree. I don't think Torres was considered to be among the best in the world. The expectations were there though and he was on the cusp of it but not there at the time.

It does feel strange signing a genuine world class player, and one whose skillset we don't currently have in the squad. It's wonderfully exciting.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2020, 10:43:05 pm »
Welcome Thiago. From what i seen, he gives us the ability to beat the press and unlock defences. We have few of these sort of players playing in our midfield

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2020, 10:50:19 pm »
Fernando Morientes was probably the biggest name signing we made in my lifetime, struggling to think of anyone else who could be considered at that level of fame until Thiago.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2020, 10:53:58 pm »
Fab, Captain, Naby, Ox, Gini, Curtis, Milner and now Thiago. Even in a crisis with two of them covering at the back, or injured themselves, there’s still two quality players for each MF spot. I’ve only watched Thiago a few times but he looks the business. He’ll prove to be the signing of the summer and keep us at the top again this year. He’s one of those players that you’re sure will be a success .. just like I felt about Harry Kewell!

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2020, 11:01:54 pm »
Can I ask in here - is there any reason why there isn't a transfer forum this year?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2020, 11:04:46 pm »
Can I ask in here - is there any reason why there isn't a transfer forum this year?

These are difficult times.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2020, 11:06:35 pm »
Fernando Morientes was probably the biggest name signing we made in my lifetime, struggling to think of anyone else who could be considered at that level of fame until Thiago.

Jari Litmanen?

We do normally buy players on the cusp of being global stars (Torres, Suarez, Alonso etc). Thiago struck me as someone who would be on the Bayern>Juve>PSG trajectory. Quite the coup that he was so desperate to join us. God bless Jürgen.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2020, 11:09:00 pm »

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Copenred

• Main Stander
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2020, 11:10:18 pm »
Great signing - offers something new to our midfield and a proper statement for both our squad and opponents. Glad that this guy did not end up at one of our rivals!

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2020, 11:16:04 pm »
Jari Litmanen?

We do normally buy players on the cusp of being global stars (Torres, Suarez, Alonso etc). Thiago struck me as someone who would be on the Bayern>Juve>PSG trajectory. Quite the coup that he was so desperate to join us. God bless Jürgen.

I wasn’t really aware of his reputation when he signed to be honest but yes I suppose he is one. He’d done fuck all at Barca and his Ajax period was when I was really young.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2020, 11:17:07 pm »
Can't believe he was set to sign a new contract with the (soon to be) champions of Europe and then Jurgen called and he to a paycut to leave.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2020, 11:19:06 pm »
Can't believe he was set to sign a new contract with the (soon to be) champions of Europe and then Jurgen called and he to a paycut to leave.

After he retires and writes his book I demand a whole chapter on what he says to them

Literally they all turn down more money, guaranteed medals, other clubs etc etc - it’s amazing

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2020, 11:27:46 pm »
I thought exactly the same thing.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2020, 11:29:52 pm »

It’s been furloughed.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2020, 11:37:02 pm »
Dont think he took a pay cut, it’s 230k a week. As far as I can see us upping what our players get payed is massive because it keeps our best and allows us to sign one of the best in the world whilst not upsetting our already established players.

This is my favourite signing in years. I’ve missed Alonso since he left and we have now got that kind of controlling player again.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #224 on: September 19, 2020, 12:03:52 am »

VVD and Alisson were both big name signings. Neither came from “big” clubs but they were already very well respected and we knew what we were getting.
#JFT97

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2020, 12:11:02 am »
Welcome to the family Thiago. He will light up the league guaranteed.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2020, 12:14:26 am »
Dont think he took a pay cut, it’s 230k a week. As far as I can see us upping what our players get payed is massive because it keeps our best and allows us to sign one of the best in the world whilst not upsetting our already established players.

This is my favourite signing in years. I’ve missed Alonso since he left and we have now got that kind of controlling player again.

I read he was going to sign for 230 and signed for us for 180.

Way more than any of us make in a year but still a crazy fucking thing to see.

After he retires and writes his book I demand a whole chapter on what he says to them

Literally they all turn down more money, guaranteed medals, other clubs etc etc - it’s amazing

Everyone loves the guy and he loves them all, it must be so infectious. Plus you can't argue with the results.

Not to downplay the achievements of the bald one, but playing for Pep must be mentally exhausting, whereas playing for Klopp would be about as fun as football gets.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2020, 12:16:55 am »
VVD and Alisson were both big name signings. Neither came from “big” clubs but they were already very well respected and we knew what we were getting.

VVD was a real marker for me in a different way than Thiago. Thiago is a huge name we bought from a huge club, but we are a huge club too, it makes sense for us to attract these players even from teams the same level as us. Where as VVD was known in the premier league but was someone we got in his prime beating off top competition for him, at a time where we were still not quite the juggernaut we are now.

VVD was the point I realised how massive this Liverpool team was for attraction. At that point I knew we could attract anyone. As huge a name as Thiago is, he isnt someone who I would imagine as impossible for us to get at this time, even before we were linked, because no one is impossible for us. We are the best club in the world why can't we get anyone we want, even the very very best.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 12:19:25 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2020, 12:27:42 am »
It’s good to hear the players are excited about him signing too. It’s given them all a boost apparently.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #229 on: September 19, 2020, 12:40:36 am »
It’s good to hear the players are excited about him signing too. It’s given them all a boost apparently.

I mean other than the players most at risk of losing their position to him, what player doesn’t love playing with absolutely world class players. 

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 19, 2020, 12:42:10 am »
Welcome Thiago!
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 19, 2020, 12:43:03 am »

"Thiago...remember Mona's bacon butties? Well, she's now added a caffeinated brown sauce"

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2020, 12:43:44 am »
Amazing! Just amazing.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2020, 12:52:03 am »
I mean other than the players most at risk of losing their position to him, what player doesn’t love playing with absolutely world class players.

Yep. Klopp has really drilled it into them that it’s about the whole squad not just the 11 on the pitch. Most of the work is done in training, so playing with and against Thiago in training will also improve them.

The 80s Liverpool team talk about how training was harder than the games because they were facing each other.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 19, 2020, 02:15:29 am »

World class players want to play with other World class players.

Thiago, this lad walks into this team and takes us another level. Buzzing with this signing.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 19, 2020, 02:30:44 am »
He's here and he's perfect!

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2020, 02:33:02 am »
Thx lord this deal is finally done, been waiting so long for this to happen. Huge sinning for us!
Believer

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2020, 02:38:59 am »
Thx lord this deal is finally done, been waiting so long for this to happen. Huge sinning for us!

Sometimes you just have to pay a penance.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2020, 02:41:58 am »
I first fell for Thiago during the Euro U21 champs about 8 years ago. He and Isco played as 8's ahead of Illarramendi in the group games. For the knockout stages Koke came into the midfield, and Isco moved into the forward line, leaving Thiago as the no 10. He was superb as an 8 or a 10, and scored a hat-trick in either the final or the semi (can't remember now.)
That year or the one after we bought an Iago and a Tiago. I was hoping to keep signing players with one extra letter in their name...
I couldn't believe it when Barca let him go for a bargain amount, because he should have been their Xavi replacement. Typical of their player management over recent years.
He was superb again at Bayern. Die Nullfunfer makes comments now and again about how boring Bayern are to watch, and I've always gone "But Thiago!" to myself (and lately "But Thiago and Davies.")
Just a gem of a player to watch. The chance to see in our shirt a player I've admired for so long is just incredible.
Play them off the park, Thiago!

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2020, 03:32:55 am »
I first fell for Thiago during the Euro U21 champs about 8 years ago. He and Isco played as 8's ahead of Illarramendi in the group games. For the knockout stages Koke came into the midfield, and Isco moved into the forward line, leaving Thiago as the no 10. He was superb as an 8 or a 10, and scored a hat-trick in either the final or the semi (can't remember now.)
That year or the one after we bought an Iago and a Tiago. I was hoping to keep signing players with one extra letter in their name...
I couldn't believe it when Barca let him go for a bargain amount, because he should have been their Xavi replacement. Typical of their player management over recent years.
He was superb again at Bayern. Die Nullfunfer makes comments now and again about how boring Bayern are to watch, and I've always gone "But Thiago!" to myself (and lately "But Thiago and Davies.")
Just a gem of a player to watch. The chance to see in our shirt a player I've admired for so long is just incredible.
Play them off the park, Thiago!

Huge error when Barcelona let him go back then, although if I remember correctly they had a huge release clause in his contract but hadn't played him enough to activate the release clause hence Pep and Bayern being able to force a cut price move. Barca in their defence, did have Cesc Fabregas in his prime who couldn't get in ahead of Xavi and Iniesta, sat on the bench alongside Alexis Sanchez and Pedro Hernandez, both top class number 10s in their own right. You add Messi to that equation and there was no way Thiago was getting regular minutes in the middle of the park there.

With him in our midfield we almost have every single profile of midfielder you can think of in our squad. Its the stuff of dreams.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900