Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 449524 times)

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2019, 08:48:58 pm »
All Out just sold out faster than All In did.

Hangman v Jericho is probably the main event but this is the big match for it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2019, 08:55:45 pm »
Just saw the scalper prices, something needs to be done about that sort of bullshit.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2019, 09:06:40 pm »
Just saw the scalper prices, something needs to be done about that sort of bullshit.

StubHub gets a percentage and are owned by Ticketmaster, there's no incentive to change unfortunately.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2019, 09:09:34 am »
50,000+ in the queue for tickets. They could have sold out a stadium if they wanted

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2019, 12:31:14 pm »
50,000+ in the queue for tickets. They could have sold out a stadium if they wanted
I read it was around 70k, absolutely nuts, they will run a stadium show within 3 years no doubt about it. People may say that the 70k in the queue wasn't 70,000 individual people but that doesn't mean each device logged in would only buy 1 ticket. Then there's the people that want to go but knew they had no chance of getting a ticket so didn't bother getting involved, and then me who is already going to NJPW in London on that day ;D I'll go back to my mates afterwards and watch All Out on PPV straight after.

They were invited to the Superbowl earlier this year (I presume the Jacksonville Jaguars connection) and Cody said afterwards he fell in love with that stadium (Mercedes-Benz in Atlanta) and saw that as the end goal for AEW.

The awareness and momentum they have so early is crazy.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:33:01 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2019, 01:12:01 pm »
It's one thing selling loads of tickets for one-off events but I dunno if they can keep that momentum going once they start running TV and tours.  At the moment it's an exciting new direction for wrestling but these are single shows when there's no other opportunities to see AEW.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2019, 01:37:21 pm »
At the moment we've got no idea how they're going to do their TV show in terms of venues etc. But that comes later. For all we know they could run similar sized 10-15k venues or do an NXT and host it locally in Florida in front 600 people where their HQ is.

As it is, what matters for now is All Out and they've sold it out again instantly. Lets worry about fatigue, dwindling momentum and declining ticket sales when it takes them longer than a day to sell an arena out ;D

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2019, 02:14:35 pm »
It's one thing selling loads of tickets for one-off events but I dunno if they can keep that momentum going once they start running TV and tours.  At the moment it's an exciting new direction for wrestling but these are single shows when there's no other opportunities to see AEW.

Yeah this is the important thing. Once the 52 show a year grind sets in(I can't see them doing house shows anywhere near as often as WWE), once people get bored of their roster and annoyed with their booking (all of which is normal and to be expected), that's when the novelty of it dies down.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2019, 02:51:35 pm »
Without looking, anyone care to guess who Meltzer just said is the GOAT "in terms of wrestling ability"?

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2019, 03:20:18 pm »
Without looking, anyone care to guess who Meltzer just said is the GOAT "in terms of wrestling ability"?

Is it Jericho?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2019, 03:42:48 pm »
Is it Jericho?

Good guess, but no. Remember we're talking all time, encompassing everyone from Flair/Funk/Steamboat through Benoit/Malenko/Eddie to Bryan/Omega/some Japanese dudes.

Spoiler
Zack Sabre Jr
[close]

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2019, 03:49:26 pm »
In terms of technical ability he's not really wrong. If ZSJ wins the top title at a top company then thats when you can compare him to Eddie, however. I'm surprised he hasn't won a singles title yet in NJPW and would've predicted that for this year.

Flair was amazing obviously, would do a 60 minute draw every week with a different guy somewhere else in the States. Very difficult to separate his wrestling ability from his out-of-the-ring skills though as his charisma was just completely overbearing to everything else in his life.

Best person to compare to Flair right now is Okada whose role in the company is basically the same as NWA Flair or WM Undertaker... making B+/A- talent look equal to himself.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:00:39 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2019, 04:00:52 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2019, 04:06:16 pm »
In terms of technical ability he's not really wrong.

He is.

You're not really missing out.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2019, 08:21:48 pm »
ZSJ is a fantastic talent.  Won't make 40 in the ring, would bet my (non-existent) house on that but talented nonetheless.  Same with Ibushi if he carries on with those bullshit bumps he takes.

Meltzer is definitely wrong on ZSJ, could nudge into the top 10 soon though.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2019, 10:17:06 pm »
Are you thinking about Ospreay instead? ZSJ is the windy submission master that loves trackies.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2019, 01:35:50 pm »

G1 is absolutely crazy good this year, there's like 7 guys in Block A that can win their group.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2019, 08:45:29 pm »
The G1 is stacked this year, looking forward to seeing how much weight KENTA has put on.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2019, 06:33:51 pm »
Just me that's disappointed we didn't get an LFC WWE title belt for winning the champions league?
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2019, 07:59:17 pm »
Just me that's disappointed we didn't get an LFC WWE title belt for winning the champions league?
Have they ever given one out for a sport other than NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL?

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2019, 08:05:07 pm »
Have they ever given one out for a sport other than NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL?

City got one for winning the league last year as did Real Madrid for winning the Champions League

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2019, 10:13:01 pm »
So said without hint of irony

WWE are trying to get RAW nominated for an Emmy in the 'Best Structured Reality Program'

I think they have gone about this totally wrong. They should have put it up for writing. Reckon they would have had a shot compared with Game of Thrones  :P

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2019, 10:58:48 pm »
In other news, Dean Ambrose fought Enzo and Cass t’other day

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2019, 11:18:41 pm »
In other news, Dean Ambrose fought Enzo and Cass t’other day
Absolutely no desire to google it, what happened to him being a rapist? Much like my unnamed teacher, he seemed the sort so I believed it.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2019, 11:41:55 pm »
So said without hint of irony

WWE are trying to get RAW nominated for an Emmy in the 'Best Structured Reality Program'

I think they have gone about this totally wrong. They should have put it up for writing. Reckon they would have had a shot compared with Game of Thrones  :P
:lmao :lmao :lmao
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2019, 12:02:27 am »
Absolutely no desire to google it, what happened to him being a rapist? Much like my unnamed teacher, he seemed the sort so I believed it.

"Investigation dropped due to insufficient evidence".

Offline arfy05

• Legacy Fan
  • Conspiracy Theorist
    • The arfy blog
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:52 am »
WWE are so out of touch, first they don’t know there audience (check ratings/ writing) and now it seems they can’t even relate to talent. Stephanie aka Fredo gave a presentation to talent apparently at how WWE is best place for talent as they can be there own brand 😳😂, then supposedly began to show them how big there social media influence and game is.

Total morons and again evidence that they still don’t know how to read signs and or build/ develop a compelling TV show that incorporates engaging storylines with great in ring. What I don’t get is Vince at 70+ is out of touch and what’s entertaining but Steph and Hunter and Shane in there 40’s are so detached and have everton level delusions

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2019, 02:27:53 am »
WWE are so out of touch, first they don’t know there audience (check ratings/ writing) and now it seems they can’t even relate to talent. Stephanie aka Fredo gave a presentation to talent apparently at how WWE is best place for talent as they can be there own brand 😳😂, then supposedly began to show them how big there social media influence and game is.

Total morons and again evidence that they still don’t know how to read signs and or build/ develop a compelling TV show that incorporates engaging storylines with great in ring. What I don’t get is Vince at 70+ is out of touch and what’s entertaining but Steph and Hunter and Shane in there 40’s are so detached and have everton level delusions

Wrestling is corny as fuck. Every now and then corny and mainstream crossover and it becomes popular for a while, but for the most part it's just a bunch of dorky guys desperately trying to relevant. That's mostly WWE, because WWE has been the only relevant wrestling company for 33 of the last 35 years, but it isn't just them. It's WCW using Chucky and Robocop and David Arquette, it's TNA using Pacman Jones and other no marks. It's Cody Rhodes smashing up Triple H's throne and thinking he looks cool.

If you think AEW, or the next company or the company after that are going to be somehow attached and delusion-free, you're in for a rude awakening.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2019, 08:40:09 am »

The one about telling them they can be their own brand, despite the fact WWE will own their wrestling name and then they have to re-brand themselves when they leave/get fired was a whole new level of BS.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2019, 01:48:08 pm »
Are you thinking about Ospreay instead? ZSJ is the windy submission master that loves trackies.
Nah, ZSJ is top tier, but that top tier is that crowded (historically) that he's one of many who can or could perform at that high a level.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2019, 03:46:20 pm »
The one about telling them they can be their own brand, despite the fact WWE will own their wrestling name and then they have to re-brand themselves when they leave/get fired was a whole new level of BS.

Has Dean Ambrose particularly rebranded himself apart from changing his name...? Or Jericho?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2019, 04:40:49 pm »
Has Dean Ambrose particularly rebranded himself apart from changing his name...? Or Jericho?

Ambrose wears tiny briefs now, and Jericho is a complete embarrassment so...sort of?

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2019, 05:01:15 pm »

I wouldn't say Ambrose has as much rebranded, he's just a lot more free to work his character how he wants and not have to be goofy or read stupid jokes all the time. You can tell he's more into it, and he's enjoying doing it more, so it makes the character more fun.

WWE is not only stockpiling good talent, but making a show of the ones they actually use at the minute. As someone who never really looked far outside WWE, I've given up on RAW/Smackdown and only watch both NXT brands really now. Looking forward to an alternative, and thinking about trying NJPW for the first time.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2019, 06:51:04 pm »
I don't even watch WWE that much at all, got the network so I'll catch some of the older stuff and I'll read recaps of the latest show but I don't watch really at all.
My Twitter

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2019, 10:33:05 pm »
You guys need to start on NJPW, AEW, Progress, basically anything that isn't WWE and remind yourself of the joys that something different can bring you ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:18:25 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2019, 10:02:42 am »
WWE officially moving to BT Sport from Sky in January 2020.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2019, 10:26:09 am »

That's their UK viewership pretty much gone then.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2019, 11:16:43 am »
The old thread got deleted?

I dread to think what happened. I liked it in there.

It's a shame it's gone because there is a page from when Brock broke the streak and everyones going apeshit. Always funny to read back.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2019, 11:23:56 am »
UK wrestler Adrian 'Lionheart' McCallum has died aged 36

Worked for ICW and a few UK independents. Done a few dark matches for WWE and TNA during UK tours

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2019, 12:25:01 pm »

Also looks like every single PPV will be move to BT box office as well so no freebies like they do on SKY

Be interesting to see what BT paid for the rights. Usually I would think that SKY losing their portfolio would be a bad thing. This might be the right time for them to dump it

Basically handed the UK wrestling market to AEW and ITV though
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:28:06 pm by gazzalfc »