Author Topic: Club World Cup  (Read 112644 times)

Offline AP823

• Kopite
  • Ap Singh - @ApSingh823
Re: Club World Cup
« Reply #160 on: September 4, 2019, 11:03:06 am »
Liverpool's Premier League fixture at West Ham United in December has been postponed due to the club's invitation to participate in the FIFA Club World Cup.

The Reds were set to meet the Hammers at the London Stadium on December 21; however, the contest will be rescheduled, the Premier League have confirmed, because of the club’s involvement in the FIFA competition.

The FIFA Club World Cup will take place in Qatar between December 11 and 21, with Jürgen Klopp’s side entering at the semi-final stage on December 18.

Further details on both the rearrangement of the fixture with West Ham, and Liverpool’s participation in the Club World Cup, will be published on Liverpoolfc.com in due course.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."
Rafa Benitez

Offline Barry Banana

• because johnster was a rubbish username?...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #161 on: September 4, 2019, 12:57:13 pm »
Liverpool's Premier League fixture at West Ham United in December has been postponed due to the club's invitation to participate in the FIFA Club World Cup.

The Reds were set to meet the Hammers at the London Stadium on December 21; however, the contest will be rescheduled, the Premier League have confirmed, because of the club’s involvement in the FIFA competition.

The FIFA Club World Cup will take place in Qatar between December 11 and 21, with Jürgen Klopp’s side entering at the semi-final stage on December 18.

Further details on both the rearrangement of the fixture with West Ham, and Liverpool’s participation in the Club World Cup, will be published on Liverpoolfc.com in due course.

I’d be very worried about the lack of commitment to participate if I’d booked already.
Long live the King

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #162 on: September 4, 2019, 12:59:28 pm »
I’d be very worried about the lack of commitment to participate if I’d booked already.
I know of loads that booked weeks ago. There was never any danger that we'd decline anyway so it wasn't even risky to book in my opinion.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline Tommypig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: September 4, 2019, 01:03:12 pm »
We are going to have a crazy January of fixture congestion if we make the Carabao Quarter finals which are the same date as Club World cup semi's

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #164 on: September 4, 2019, 01:16:46 pm »
We are going to have a crazy January of fixture congestion if we make the Carabao Quarter finals which are the same date as Club World cup semi's
Wolves will be postponed if we get past the quarter finals so if the rearranged West Ham match is in Jan and if we get to the semi finals of the League Cup and the 4th round of the FA Cup, we'll have a maximum of 9 games in Jan. All ifs and buts at the moment...although we had 8 matches just last December and that didn't work out too badly  ;)
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline Tommypig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: September 4, 2019, 01:21:56 pm »
Why would Wolves be postponed? the Quarters is the week of the club world cup semi so the Quarter would have to be played circa 6th Jan when the carabao semi is scheduled

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 4, 2019, 01:23:28 pm »

Eh?

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #167 on: September 4, 2019, 01:23:49 pm »
I know of loads that booked weeks ago. There was never any danger that we'd decline anyway so it wasn't even risky to book in my opinion.

Have you read the statement?

"the club's invitation to participate" (not "the club's participation")

"the Premier League have confirmed"

"details on Liverpool’s participation..." (whether we will or not)

I hadn't booked because prior to this statement - Liverpool had confirmed nothing and I had an small doubt that we'd participate. This statement is completely non-committal and leaves me more doubtful that we'll be there.
Long live the King

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: September 4, 2019, 01:28:38 pm »

I hadn't booked because prior to this statement - Liverpool had confirmed nothing and I had an small doubt that we'd participate. This statement is completely non-committal and leaves me more doubtful that we'll be there.

It’s happening

We’ve cancelled a fixture to participate

It’s safe as houses

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #169 on: September 4, 2019, 01:30:25 pm »
It’s happening

We’ve cancelled a fixture to participate

It’s safe as houses

We haven’t. The premier league have on the assumption we’ll participate. And we’ve been very careful to make that clear.
Long live the King

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 4, 2019, 01:32:15 pm »
We haven’t. The premier league have on the assumption we’ll participate. And we’ve been very careful to make that clear.

Think you’re reading it wrong but up to you. I’m all booked up weeks ago so going regardless

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 4, 2019, 01:33:43 pm »

I think you've misinterpreted 'We'll let you know who we get in the draw' to be honest.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #172 on: September 4, 2019, 01:34:42 pm »

I'd bet my house that we will not decline, no way on earth.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 4, 2019, 01:38:31 pm »
If you read what I said...Wolves will be postponed if we get past the quarter finals.

Why? It's a week before the second leg and two weeks after the first leg?

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #174 on: September 4, 2019, 01:41:27 pm »
I think you've misinterpreted 'We'll let you know who we get in the draw' to be honest.

Just strikes me as very odd language. It’s weird that we haven’t said we’re participating. At all. And even when forced to make a statement due to a postponed fixture we refer to our invitation to participate not our participation.

Add that to the many voices of moral objection to Qatar and it means I won’t be booking until we get concrete confirmation we’re competing.
Long live the King

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #175 on: September 4, 2019, 01:41:36 pm »
Why? It's a week before the second leg and two weeks after the first leg?
Shows that what I was sent the day the fixtures were released was a load of shite...''Tue/Wed 21/22 - League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg''  ::)

Sorry.

Offline Tommypig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 4, 2019, 01:46:19 pm »
If you read what I said...Wolves will be postponed if we get past the quarter finals.

The quarters are due to be played w/c 16 dec so we can not play then as at CWC.

Do you really think the premier league will cancel 2 sets of fixtures on 28/12 for a League Cup Quarter final

If we are in it very likely as only have to beat MKDons and one other team then earliest we can play quarter is 7th or 8th Jan date of Carabao Semi 1st leg.

Then the 1st Leg Carabao Semi would have to be 14th or 15th Jan with 2nd leg on original date 30th or 31st Jan

That would give us potentially 9 games in January inc FA Cup 3rd and 4th round

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #177 on: September 4, 2019, 02:02:41 pm »
The quarters are due to be played w/c 16 dec so we can not play then as at CWC.

Do you really think the premier league will cancel 2 sets of fixtures on 28/12 for a League Cup Quarter final

If we are in it very likely as only have to beat MKDons and one other team then earliest we can play quarter is 7th or 8th Jan date of Carabao Semi 1st leg.

Then the 1st Leg Carabao Semi would have to be 14th or 15th Jan with 2nd leg on original date 30th or 31st Jan

That would give us potentially 9 games in January inc FA Cup 3rd and 4th round
Not at all, I was referring to Wolves away in Jan, not Wolves at home in Dec but as Hightown Phil has pointed out above (the info that I was sent when the fixtures were released was wrong), the 2nd leg of the semi is due to be played the following week so regardless of if we make it or not, Wolves away will not be postponed.

Offline Tommypig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 4, 2019, 02:05:38 pm »
Reality is though we are going to be playing secondary teams in the Carabao and FA Cup games so should have a big enough squad to cope and keep the A team fresh for the league games.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #179 on: September 4, 2019, 02:24:54 pm »
Reality is though we are going to be playing secondary teams in the Carabao and FA Cup games so should have a big enough squad to cope and keep the A team fresh for the league games.
Absolutely, any potential fixture congestion is ultimately caused because we are continuing to do well in all comps, I'm more than happy for that to continue!

Online jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 4, 2019, 03:18:07 pm »

Doesn't it state on our website 'because of the clubs involvement in the FIFA competition'

according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #181 on: September 4, 2019, 03:34:32 pm »
Doesn't it state on our website 'because of the clubs involvement in the FIFA competition'

"...the contest will be rescheduled, the Premier League have confirmed, because of the club’s involvement in the FIFA competition."

The premier league have confirmed that the contest will be rescheduled because of our involvement in the competition. Not us. It looks like this is cleverly worded so as we're not making our own commitment to compete at this time.

I might be wrong - but I find it bizarre that before now - there has not been one word from the club on our participation. And when we are forced to comment because of a cancelled fixture - we talk about an invitation to participate without confirming we will participate.
Long live the King

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 4, 2019, 05:11:16 pm »
Mate, I really think you're overthinking this ;D
« Last Edit: September 4, 2019, 05:14:29 pm by J_Kopite »

Offline GPLFC

• Boys Pen
« Reply #183 on: September 4, 2019, 05:18:03 pm »
Just strikes me as very odd language. It’s weird that we haven’t said we’re participating. At all. And even when forced to make a statement due to a postponed fixture we refer to our invitation to participate not our participation.

Add that to the many voices of moral objection to Qatar and it means I won’t be booking until we get concrete confirmation we’re competing.

When FIFA morally object maybe but until then its happening !

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #184 on: September 4, 2019, 05:26:14 pm »
"...the contest will be rescheduled, the Premier League have confirmed, because of the club’s involvement in the FIFA competition."

The premier league have confirmed that the contest will be rescheduled because of our involvement in the competition.

Is that not because the game is actually the Premier Leagues game and therefore any changes can only be confirmed by them ?

"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #185 on: September 4, 2019, 05:53:48 pm »
Is that not because the game is actually the Premier Leagues game and therefore any changes can only be confirmed by them ?

Yeah - still worded in a way that we’ve only confirmed our invitation to participate though.
Long live the King

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #186 on: September 4, 2019, 06:00:18 pm »
Yeah - still worded in a way that we’ve only confirmed our invitation to participate though.
So even though the club have listed both dates of the matches in the competition and also shown that the West Ham game is postponed on the official site, you still think they may decline to go?

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #187 on: September 4, 2019, 06:05:25 pm »
So even though the club have listed both dates of the matches in the competition and also shown that the West Ham game is postponed on the official site, you still think they may decline to go?

I think it’s odd that this is the first mention. Forced by a premier league fixture postponement. And even now - we’ve only mentioned an invitation to participate. I’d be worried if I’d booked. But I haven’t, and prices have been fairly stagnant, so I’ll wait.

We’ll probably participate. But it wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t.

Long live the King

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 4, 2019, 06:16:22 pm »
I think it’s odd that this is the first mention. Forced by a premier league fixture postponement. And even now - we’ve only mentioned an invitation to participate. I’d be worried if I’d booked. But I haven’t, and prices have been fairly stagnant, so I’ll wait.

We’ll probably participate. But it wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t.

There’s not a chance they postpone a premier league fixture, announce it and then we don’t go.

The premier league will know we’re going

Your right to wait to whenever you want to book but we’ll be going.

Fifa have it on their website, we have it on ours

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 4, 2019, 06:37:45 pm »
I expect us to participate. If not I've got 5 days in Qatar that will still be a good holiday!

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 4, 2019, 07:13:13 pm »
On the official LFC website it’s down as two fixtures on neutral ground with opponents tbc .

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #191 on: September 4, 2019, 07:36:32 pm »
On the official LFC website it’s down as two fixtures on neutral ground with opponents tbc .
I’ve said exactly that a few posts back but apparently it’s still not confirmation that we will be attending.

Offline AP823

• Kopite
  • Ap Singh - @ApSingh823
« Reply #192 on: September 5, 2019, 01:14:30 pm »
From the club site an article on CWC:

Liverpool have been invited to take part in December's FIFA Club World Cup after winning the UEFA Champions League last season.

Jürgen Klopp's side are set to enter the tournament at the semi-final stage and will look to lift the trophy for the very first time in the club's history.

What is the Club World Cup?

It's a seven-team tournament that pits together the winners of FIFA's six continental confederations and the league champions from the host nation.

This year is the 16th edition of the contest and will be hosted in Qatar.

Who's in it?

Just three participants are confirmed so far, with the Reds joined by Mexican side CF Monterrey, winners of the 2019 Concacaf Champions League, and OFC Champions League holders Hienghene Sport from New Caledonia.

The representatives from CAF, AFC and CONMEBOL will be known in the coming months.

If a team outside of Qatar wins the AFC Champions League, Qatar Stars League champions Al Sadd SC will then feature in the opening match against Hienghene Sport.

When is it?

The first round of the competition kicks off on December 11 before two second-round fixtures take place three days later.

Liverpool and the CONMEBOL representative are already confirmed for the semi-finals, which will take place on December 17 and December 18.

The final and third-placed play-off are to be played on December 21.

As a result, the Reds' Premier League fixture at West Ham United – originally scheduled for December 21 – has now been postponed.

When were Liverpool last in it?

Liverpool travelled to Japan in 2005 for the second edition of the competition.

Rafael Benitez's champions of Europe faced Costa Rican outfit Deportivo Saprissa in the semi-finals, with a Steven Gerrard goal and Peter Crouch double securing a spot in the Yokohama showpiece.

The Reds met Brazilian side Sao Paulo in the final and – despite having three goals disallowed, hitting the bar twice and seeing a strong penalty appeal turned down – lost 1-0 after Mineiro's first-half finish.

Who are the previous winners?

2018: Real Madrid
2017: Real Madrid
2016: Real Madrid
2015: Barcelona
2014: Real Madrid
2013: Bayern Munich
2012: Corinthians
2011: Barcelona
2010: Inter Milan
2009: Barcelona
2008: Manchester United
2007: AC Milan
2006: Internacional
2005: Sao Paulo
2000: Corinthians
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."
Rafa Benitez

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #193 on: September 5, 2019, 01:35:23 pm »
Barry will be relieved! ;D
We are a team of one half.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #194 on: September 5, 2019, 01:51:36 pm »
Still not confirmed though  ;)

Online ant

• Legacy Fan
  • Spread the faith - YNWA !!!
    • OLSC - France
« Reply #195 on: September 5, 2019, 02:40:53 pm »
Spurs or Chelsea could go - YNWA !
www.liverpoolfrance.com - The home of Liverpool fans in France.

Get down to 1 of our 2 pubs in Paris, Lush Bar or Kop Bar, for all the Red's games on the tele :
http://www.liverpoolfrance.com/ou-voir-les-reds/

TRADE COUNT WHEN WE HAD A TICKET EXCHANGE : 24

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 5, 2019, 09:04:55 pm »

Wouldn't book yet like ;D

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #197 on: September 5, 2019, 09:58:40 pm »
Wouldn't book yet like ;D

I was wrong to worry. Still going to wait till draw on 16 September though as flights I’d prefer are Tuesday 17th. Announcement says we could be playing on 17th. Previous assumption was that the semi would be 18th.
Long live the King

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 5, 2019, 10:02:28 pm »
I was wrong to worry. Still going to wait till draw on 16 September though as flights I’d prefer are Tuesday 17th. Announcement says we could be playing on 17th. Previous assumption was that the semi would be 18th.

Yes that’s a pain in the arse if we play Tuesday given I fly in Wednesday haha

Hopefully we’ll be the Wednesday or it’ll start to impact the previous weekend too

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 5, 2019, 10:05:24 pm »
I thought our game was confirmed for 18th?