Author Topic: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar  (Read 55265 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar
« on: June 5, 2017, 04:10:34 am »
Just reading Twitter and someting seems to be going on.

BREAKING: Saudi Arabia accuses Qatar of supporting ISIS and Al-Qaeda in Yemen

BREAKING: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar and closed off borders

Arab coalition suspends #Qatar’s participation in #Yemen conflict

BREAKING: Egypt cuts diplomatic ties with Qatar

BREAKING: Saudi Arabia accuses Qatar of 'sponsoring terrorism'

Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Bahrain cut all ties. Qatari citizens have 14 days to leave counties. Saudis shut down sea, air, land crossings.

BREAKING: United Arab Emirates has joined Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Egypt in cutting ties with Qatar
« Last Edit: June 5, 2017, 04:16:14 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
UAE, Bahrain, Saudi and Egypt have cut ties with Qatar
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2017, 04:12:00 am »

Mid-east ctries: Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Bahrain, Jordan cut diplomatic ties with Qatar b/c of that state's sponsorship of terrorism

#Egypt has also announced the severing of its relation with Qatar because it encourages all islamic terrorism inthe world

BREAKING: #Bahrain cuts all Relations with #Qatar , closes air and maritime airspace for Doha

BREAKING: Bahrain accuses Qatar of supporting terrorism on 'all levels'

BREAKING: Saudi Arabia has cut all diplomatic ties with Qatar and shut off its airspace to the country

#BREAKING: Egypt, following Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, cuts ties with Qatar

The UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia have all just cut ties with Qatar, situation rapidly developing.

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
Re: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2017, 04:18:01 am »

The most important step to defeat ISIS ..

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: UAE, Bahrain, Saudi and Egypt have cut ties with Qatar
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2017, 04:20:02 am »
Any insight into this? I thought Qatar was helping the House of Saud fight in Yemen? Seems a rapid escalation? Surely not over Qatar saying better relations with Iran might not be a bad thing?
« Last Edit: June 5, 2017, 04:21:58 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: UAE, Bahrain, Saudi and Egypt have cut ties with Qatar
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2017, 04:20:17 am »
Sorry didnt see your post.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2017, 04:20:46 am »
Well I'm confused... I thought the Saudis were the big supporters of Wahabbist terrorism and were trying to turn the screws on Iran, so this is all a bit hard to follow.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2017, 04:24:40 am »
Well I'm confused... I thought the Saudis were the big supporters of Wahabbist terrorism and were trying to turn the screws on Iran, so this is all a bit hard to follow.

Trump showed them who's boss, they're doing what they're told*

*This is a joke
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2017, 04:30:16 am »
 Steve Herman‏Verified account @W7VOA 27m27 minutes ago

This puts US in an awkward position: @USNavy 5th Fleet based at #Bahrain while @CENTCOM has thousands of personnel in #Qatar.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2017, 04:35:10 am »
So Emir of Qatar said that good relations with Iran would be a good thing. Everyone freaked. Qatar then said the state news agency had been hacked and he'd not really said that. Everyone laughed at the excuse. And then... this?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2017, 04:39:27 am »

Actually last year alone 33 ISIS attacks targeted Saudi Arabia including a foiled attack targeting a football stadium.. Even ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in his speeches called on his ISIS followers to unleash attacks on Turkey and Saudi Arabia but the media kept saying its Turkey and Saudi who are supporting ISIS ..

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2017, 04:44:15 am »
So Emir of Qatar said that good relations with Iran would be a good thing. Everyone freaked. Qatar then said the state news agency had been hacked and he'd not really said that. Everyone laughed at the excuse. And then... this?

the news about this started after the Arab Islamic American Summit ..

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2017, 05:10:08 am »
the news about this started after the Arab Islamic American Summit ..

I'd place money on it having the green light from Trump already too. Problem is... Trump's a moron so it's not a reassuring thing to see this escalate so rapidly.

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2017, 06:12:45 am »
All very strange and raises so many questions about the true motives or intended effect. Due to historic Western ties to the area, you'd normally assume that this had been given the green light by but with Trump in the WH, who knows? Certainly appears to shift focus away from Saudi and their links with terrorism. Which is convenient.
Long term, and of minor immediate importance, is the impact on the wc in Qatar in 2022.
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2017, 06:34:17 am »

The divisions between Qatar and the Saudis have been there a while. This one touches lightly on it tangentially:
http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/why-saudi-rulers-need-foreign-approval-621030574

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2017, 06:35:00 am »
All very strange and raises so many questions about the true motives or intended effect. Due to historic Western ties to the area, you'd normally assume that this had been given the green light by but with Trump in the WH, who knows? Certainly appears to shift focus away from Saudi and their links with terrorism. Which is convenient.
Long term, and of minor immediate importance, is the impact on the wc in Qatar in 2022.

Sure they need the green light from Trump because of this ( Al Udeid Air Base is a military base southwest of Doha, Qatar, also known as Abu Nakhlah Airport , It houses both Qatari Air Force, U.S. Air Force and other Coalition personnel and assets. It is host to a forward headquarters of United States Central Command, headquarters of United States Air Forces Central Command, No. 83 Expeditionary Air Group RAF, and the 379th Air Expeditionary Wing of the USAF ) but don't think its shifting or anything many countries involved in this not one .. Do you think its a coincidence Al Jazeera managed to make interviews with Al-Qaeda leaders and get their tapes ?..

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 5, 2017, 06:35:12 am »
The 2022 World Cup just got weird.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 5, 2017, 06:44:10 am »
Trump showed them who's boss, they're doing what they're told*

*This is a joke

I know you're joking, but to touch on the issue: this is something that would have mainly come from the saudis and their related underlings in the region, imo.

There are no good guys there, Qatar's ease of access when it comes to transferring funds into the hands of terrorists, the existence of rich backers there is well known. But this is not a unique problem with Qatar alone.

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: June 5, 2017, 06:57:59 am »

CAIRO, June 5 (Xinhua) -- Egypt announced on Monday the cut of diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing the Gulf Arab state of supporting "terrorist" organizations, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

"The Arab Republic of Egypt decided to cut diplomatic ties with Qatar in light of the Gulf Arab state's persistence to take a path against Egypt, and the failure of any attempts to prevent it from supporting terrorist organizations, topped by the Muslim Brotherhood," said the statement.p The Brotherhood has been outlawed by Egypt. It added that Qatar is sheltering leaders of the Brotherhood who targeted security and safety of Egypt by conducting terrorist operations
The statement attributed cutting ties with Qatar to the state's promotion of extremist thoughts of al-Qaeda and the Islamic State, its support for terrorist operations in Sinai, as well as its intervention in Egypt's internal affairs in a way that threatens its national security.
Ties between Egypt and Qatar have been deteriorated since the ouster of the Egyptian Islamist affiliated leader Mohamed Morsi in 2013 as a result of a mass protest against his rule.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #18 on: June 5, 2017, 07:14:22 am »
Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates have cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of destabilising the region.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 5, 2017, 07:16:09 am »
Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates have cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of destabilising the region.

Thanks, had no idea. ;)

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #20 on: June 5, 2017, 08:19:23 am »
Thanks, had no idea. ;)

The other posts made no mention of other countries. :)

And now..

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen have cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of destabilising the region.

;)

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 5, 2017, 08:27:11 am »
Great opportunity to buy some second hand Qatari cars.

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: June 5, 2017, 08:35:41 am »
Call me cynical but all seems rather too convenient for Saudi. They start feeling increased pressure due to their links with terror and next thing, they get all their mates to gang up on Qatar. Now, I'm sure Qatar are in it up to their necks but Saudi aren't far behind.
Wir Glauben

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 5, 2017, 08:40:40 am »

Not really. The Saudi kingdom is wahhabist yes but they are no friends of ISIS. Similarities but politically they are at odds with one another.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 5, 2017, 08:49:48 am »
I admit I am probably biased against the Saudis because their society sounds like hell on earth.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 5, 2017, 08:55:06 am »
So Emir of Qatar President of the United States said that good relations with Iran Russia would be a good thing. Everyone freaked.

Qatar Trump then said Obama had hacked his twitter account the state news agency had been hacked and he'd not really said that. Everyone laughed at the excuse. And then... this?

*VERY tongue in cheek  But it's still cool to hold the World Cup in Qatar, right? ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 5, 2017, 08:56:01 am »

That would be the same Bahrain that just banned a secular opposition group and is quickly heading towards a total suppression of human rights.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/bahrain-unrest-protests-banning-political-parties-waad-wefaq-shia-sheik-isa-qassim-a7771351.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 5, 2017, 09:04:03 am »
That would be the same Bahrain that just banned a secular opposition group and is quickly heading towards a total suppression of human rights.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/bahrain-unrest-protests-banning-political-parties-waad-wefaq-shia-sheik-isa-qassim-a7771351.html

Which is just fine if we remember the response from outside Bahrain when they crushed the last dissent.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #28 on: June 5, 2017, 09:06:08 am »

JUST got weird ?! It was that a good while ago. This just adds another layer to the multi tiered insanity cake that was already well baked *I don`t know how I just wandered into cakes*
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: June 5, 2017, 09:07:26 am »
Not really. The Saudi kingdom is wahhabist yes but they are no friends of ISIS. Similarities but politically they are at odds with one another.

As I understand it, Saudi and ISIS dont get on mainly because ISIS dont agree with the monarchy. Otherwise they would be best buds.

Back to the the OP, isnt this because Qatar are supporting Iran-backed forces? So this is Saudi doing their typical thing of calling Shia groups terrorists so they can go and kill them.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 5, 2017, 09:28:07 am »
As I understand it, Saudi and ISIS dont get on mainly because ISIS dont agree with the monarchy. Otherwise they would be best buds.

Back to the the OP, isnt this because Qatar are supporting Iran-backed forces? So this is Saudi doing their typical thing of calling Shia groups terrorists so they can go and kill them.

More than that. Saudi has a Shia population, they allow US forces to stay their.

Qatar arms Shia militia?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #33 on: June 5, 2017, 09:56:32 am »

It should be relocated. If not, then it should be boycotted.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #34 on: June 5, 2017, 10:23:05 am »
The divisions between Qatar and the Saudis have been there a while. This one touches lightly on it tangentially:
http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/why-saudi-rulers-need-foreign-approval-621030574

That article didn't make things much clearer unfortunately.

This seems to come conveniently right after the Saudis signed defence contracts with Trump.

I know that some middle eastern states have not appreciated Al Jazerra being around. Is this a factor in these actions?

The funding of terror reasoning is a joke from the Saudis.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 5, 2017, 11:02:47 am »
Potentially huge ramifications, but of course there are other political matters at play too. One to keep a watching brief on

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #36 on: June 5, 2017, 11:28:06 am »
According to Wikipedia from a few days ago:
Saudi decided to ban Al-Jazeera and another Qatari website after Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani stated that he recognizes Iran as Islamic regional power and criticizes Saudi and Trump's policy toward Iran

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: June 5, 2017, 12:11:10 pm »
According to Wikipedia from a few days ago:
Saudi decided to ban Al-Jazeera and another Qatari website after Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani stated that he recognizes Iran as Islamic regional power and criticizes Saudi and Trump's policy toward Iran

To which Qatar claimed their servers had been hacked. There's a lot of bullshit flying around.
Wir Glauben

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 5, 2017, 01:42:38 pm »
Odd. Saudi and Qatar are on the same side.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 5, 2017, 04:38:36 pm »
More than that. Saudi has a Shia population they allow US forces to stay their.

Qatar arms Shia militia?
I thought they were Sunni ?