Author Topic: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC  (Read 94839 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2016, 01:42:51 pm »
Not sure why people are questioning his inability to get into the Southampton line-up, when Fonte is their captain and Van Dijk is one of the best summer signings this season. After all, we've brought Ilori back on loan when he couldn't get into the back four of one the worst PL sides ever.

We have injuries. Sakho is injured and injury-prone. Skrtel is out for a while. Ilori is injury-prone. Lovren is injured. Kolo is injury-prone. Klopp won't play Can in defence. We have had to play Lucas as a CB this season. We had to bring Enrique out of the football wilderness to play CB, despite being persona non grata and not playing for a year.

This is Caulker's last shot at playing for a big club. It might be his only chance to ensure he won't be playing in the Championship next season. It fills a need for all parties. He'll have a better chance of getting games here, due to our injuries. If he's good, it benefits all parties. If he's poor, he's only here until May. A logical signing.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2016, 01:43:32 pm »
Says it all about this thread when Fordy is the one talking the most sense.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2016, 01:43:54 pm »
Enrique and Illori at CB against Arsenal and united, and a 17 year old with no senior games on the bench? Cos thats what we have at the moment.

It would be a test. No doubt about it. But it's part of what comes with the approach that I would like to see. The upside of that same approach is that we'd be forced to include our young players. We'd be forced to promote them, we could assess them and then make decisions based on it. This would then feed back to our Academy and how things are being run there. Are the young ones ready or not? Why?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:28 pm »
He's an LFC player so I love him :)

Seriously, what a chance for him.

He's a lucky boy there is no doubt.

Adrian Durham is gonna have a field day wit this.

Personally I though he was terrible when I saw him play. But LFC is different.  :-[

The day anyone on here gives a flying fuck about what that twat Durham has to say (or laughingly "think" - but that in itself is an oxymoron) then we are lost. We truly are.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2016, 01:45:10 pm »
It would be a test. No doubt about it. But it's part of what comes with the approach that I would like to see. The upside of that same approach is that we'd be forced to include our young players. We'd be forced to promote them, we could assess them and then make decisions based on it. This would then feed back to our Academy and how things are being run there. Are the young ones ready or not? Why?

Who are the young ones you would call up? Lets say Sakho and Lovren aren't ready.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:09 pm »
Brilliant signing. Young and still got room to grow. Looks good at Swansea.

So if he performs well is there any chance of him signing a perm deal?

Why not? I'm sure he wouldn't cost all that much either.  But that's a way ahead yet.

Offline ranimi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:32 pm »
No 'leaning' pics ?

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:35 pm »
Well......good luck to the lad. 

Offline Iloveyoumamadou

• Main Stander
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:56 pm »
Pretty much this.

I mean how thick can people be? We're down to bare bones at the back at the minute. I've seen someone say that we'll have 'all our center backs return in like 2 weeks' but how many injuries have they had combined this season already? More injuries will happen - Toure can barely finish a game and Ilori is a long way off match fitness.

Welcome, Steven.
I don't think people realise how many games we have coming up. Up until the 6th of February we have 8 games in 24 days, on average a game every 3 days.

Arsenal 13th January
Man Unt 17th January
Exeter 20th January
Norwich 23rd January
Stoke 26th January (Potential extra time)
West Ham at some point around here (Potential extra time)
Leicester 2nd February
Sunderland 6th February

No way would Lucas survive that if we stuck with him. Toure struggled to finish one game as did Ilori. We need cover, the club have clearly done everything they can to sign a higher quality player before the noon Arsenal deadline, but haven't been able to so Caulker is what we've got now.  Like others I think he's a bit crap, but one thing I will say is that every one of our centre halves has improved under Klopp, hopefully he can do the same to Caulker.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2016, 01:47:07 pm »
Hit the ground running lad. With luck you'll be good enough to sign permanent

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2016, 01:47:20 pm »
Well can't complain too much, needed some CB cover that is for sure and unless we could get that top one then I wouldn't want us to spunk out more than needed.
We'll get some decent premier league experienced cover now til the end of the season, and after that we can re-asses our squad and go for someone better if needed (especially as Toure is probably playing his last season here).

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2016, 01:47:21 pm »
Welcome lad. As long as he does his best and does a job for us, that's all I care about. He's not the future of Liverpool's defence for the time being, he's just giving us a chuck.

My guess is that Klopp wants to have a chance of doing something in the FA cup, then players like Caulker will be important for that.

Offline JLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2016, 01:47:58 pm »
Could be a shrewd piece of business this. Not at transfer fee and defensive cover until end of season.

Best of luck to the lad.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2016, 01:48:28 pm »
I remember a couple of years ago he looked a real prospect. As a 5th choice centre back on a loan with no commitment to buy half way through the season he really isn't a bad option at all!
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2016, 01:48:30 pm »
"Better than Enrique though" is such a ringing endorsement ;D

Pretty average defender but hey, we're low on bodies and he's probably the best value option right now. Plus in 6 months we can say ta-ra and get someone of quality in.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2016, 01:48:33 pm »
Average signing, but then again i was here when a lot of you were truing to justify the Moses, Cissokho and Aspas signings as well.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2016, 01:48:45 pm »

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2016, 01:48:59 pm »
I don't think people realise how many games we have coming up. Up until the 6th of February we have 8 games in 24 days, on average a game every 3 days.

Arsenal 13th January
Man Unt 17th January
Exeter 20th January
Norwich 23rd January
Stoke 26th January (Potential extra time)
West Ham at some point around here (Potential extra time)
Leicester 2nd February
Sunderland 6th February

No way would Lucas survive that if we stuck with him. Toure struggled to finish one game as did Ilori. We need cover, the club have clearly done everything they can to sign a higher quality player before the noon Arsenal deadline, but haven't been able to so Caulker is what we've got now.  Like others I think he's a bit crap, but one thing I will say is that every one of our centre halves has improved under Klopp, hopefully he can do the same to Caulker.

This. You could almost think of it as a 1 month emergency loan signing that lower league clubs do. Obviously QPR and Caulker would never agree to that, but if he helps us get through this month as best we can, then I won't complain.

Offline jwill2127

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp is the man
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2016, 01:49:06 pm »
Bit similar when rafa got Pellegrino and by resting sami he played a massive part in us winning the CL! ??
Our support since 2005 is f@@@@@ @@@@

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2016, 01:49:07 pm »
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2016, 01:49:57 pm »
Good bit of business

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2016, 01:50:06 pm »
WHAT A SIGNING!!!

But seriously, it's a necessity. Don't get too worked up over it. If he's half as good as Kvarme then he has my unconditional support...

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »
Average signing, but then again i was here when a lot of you were truing to justify the Moses, Cissokho and Aspas signings as well.

Moses on paper wasn't a bad signing at the time. He was just didn't perform. Cissokho was top even if he was a bit crap. ;P

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2016, 01:50:55 pm »
I guess some of the fans were hoping for a Hummels or so, not a desperate loan. But it seems like a reasonable emergency solution to me.

Lovren and Skrtel are normally fit, so in a month or so we should be fine. But that missing month is crucial for this season.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2016, 01:51:03 pm »
Who are the young ones you would call up? Lets say Sakho and Lovren aren't ready.

Honestly, I don't know. But I'd probably have played Lucas/Can with Ilori. Then I'd have tried to recall Wisdom and since we used Enrique vs Exeter, I would have considered him an option too.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »

They all nearly had league winners medals ;D

Anyway, I think the signing justifies itself considering the unique situation we find ourselves in.

What would you have done in this circumstance mate?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2016, 01:52:38 pm »
Not sure why people are questioning his inability to get into the Southampton line-up, when Fonte is their captain and Van Dijk is one of the best summer signings this season. After all, we've brought Ilori back on loan when he couldn't get into the back four of one the worst PL sides ever.

We have injuries. Sakho is injured and injury-prone. Skrtel is out for a while. Ilori is injury-prone. Lovren is injured. Kolo is injury-prone. Klopp won't play Can in defence. We have had to play Lucas as a CB this season. We had to bring Enrique out of the football wilderness to play CB, despite being persona non grata and not playing for a year.

This is Caulker's last shot at playing for a big club. It might be his only chance to ensure he won't be playing in the Championship next season. It fills a need for all parties. He'll have a better chance of getting games here, due to our injuries. If he's good, it benefits all parties. If he's poor, he's only here until May. A logical signing.
Exactly. Good post.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2016, 01:52:38 pm »
I guess some of the fans were hoping for a Hummels or so, not a desperate loan. But it seems like a reasonable emergency solution to me.

Lovren and Skrtel are normally fit, so in a month or so we should be fine. But that missing month is crucial for this season.

Hummels, Varane, Marquinhos etc. Some of these "supporters" on here are utter muppets.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2016, 01:52:50 pm »
Honestly, I don't know. But I'd probably have played Lucas/Can with Ilori. Then I'd have tried to recall Wisdom and since we used Enrique vs Exeter, I would have considered him an option too.

You've also got to remember that if one of Lucas and Can gets used as a centre-back option, that's one less option for centre-midfield, an area we aren't exactly stacked in either. If Wisdom could be recalled, I guarantee he would be back here. Probably similar to Ilori and Villa, they would have to agree to it, and Norwich probably didn't agree.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2016, 01:53:02 pm »
Is that not a bit of a straw man argument? List poor signings to prove yourself 'right'?

Anyway, Cissokho was perfectly decent as a defender. Just couldn't take two consecutive touches without looking like a lesser coordinated new born dear.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2016, 01:53:09 pm »

Cissokho did a job
Moses was a loan so who cares
Aspas was a permanent deal so bit different

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2016, 01:53:22 pm »

Unless in the past couple of day Ilori has taken a knock..Wisdom is a good shout but Enrique? really?

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2016, 01:53:44 pm »
Hummels, Varane, Marquinhos etc. Some of these "supporters" on here are utter muppets.

But they were here to say they told 'a lot of you' so.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2016, 01:54:01 pm »
Cissokho did a job
Moses was a loan so who cares
Aspas was a permanent deal so bit different

And Aspas was very good before he came here. People were happy to bring him in because he looked a good player. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2016, 01:54:49 pm »

So you'd rather have Lucas/Can/Enrique/Ilori in defense than Caulker? Only one of those is actually a CB. Taking Lucas out leaves us exposed in midfield, Can is better in midfield but can play there in a pinch. We've got like 8 games in 24 days! We can't keep playing people out of position to fill a position.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2016, 01:55:13 pm »
Caulker >>>>> Lucas/Enrique

Weirdo.

Didn't Maguire come on at CB for a knackered Ilori too?

We've played a DM and 2 barely even back-up LBs at CB in the past 2 games and people are shocked we've gone for whoever we can get our hands on...

There's actually potentially an alright player in there too.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2016, 01:55:20 pm »
He'll score the winner against Arsenal or United. Nailed on.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2016, 01:55:22 pm »

Its the approach we should go for, United had no problem throwing in Blackett, Mcnair in when they were chasing top 4 and one of them had only played in reserves while the other had played about 13 games on loan, they might not make it at United but they certainly done a job in that period, and it will be the reason why when they come to sell them they'll be getting millions in fees. Buying emergency stop gap signings at least in our past hasn't helped anyone, if anything it might have hampered some young players, because said manager would always put 'insert average player' in before some of them, because said player has more experience, we've lost handful of games with some of these same senior players we're supposed to be relying on, so why not wait it out, Sakho and Toure are back, Lovren is soon and Ilori regaining match fitness.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2016, 01:55:45 pm »
Not ideal of course but an understandable signing given our horrific injury issues. Welcome to LFC Steven and best of luck.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2016, 01:56:08 pm »
He'll score the winner against Arsenal or United. Nailed on.

For us or them...? :P