Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 - Remake (with added Rebirth)  (Read 27365 times)

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Remake
« Reply #200 on: March 4, 2020, 12:12:23 am »
Think I'll just wait ten years and play the trilogy(?) on the PS7.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #201 on: March 4, 2020, 12:14:49 am »
The original is on steam and was on sale for £4.99 I picked it up yesterday.  Not sure I can play the new one with the combat as it is, I can see why they have changed it but live action stuff I am rubbish at, other than sports games....

Thought I read a few months ago that there would be a turn based mode?

Online ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: March 4, 2020, 06:22:39 am »

So did I but also read it wasn't the same as the original turn based, I will wait and see what it looks like before I take a plunge into buying it.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: March 4, 2020, 04:48:23 pm »
No Red XIII so I'm deffo out

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: March 4, 2020, 04:56:22 pm »
No Red XIII so I'm deffo out

He's not a playable character no. They'll be lots of things included in this game that was never in the first one. By the time you get red XIII your basically near the end of midgar anyway and because part one only covers up till there that's understandable I think.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #205 on: March 4, 2020, 05:54:52 pm »
Surely he’ll be playable in the second one, how else do you form the undoubted strongest trio of Cloud, Barrett and Red XIII?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: March 5, 2020, 01:42:41 pm »

According to a youtube vid I saw last night there's an option to switch the combat to purely entering commands when the ATB bar fills. I only played through demo once and didn't look for or see it though. Basically the characters auto fight while you wait for the bars to fill so you can unleash special attacks, magic, items etc. Think this is as close to turn-based as we're going to get - which is fine by me. Wouldn't really want to see the crew lined up doing nothing for 20 seconds.

I though the combat was great, though difficult. It looked so good that I was distracted from what was actually happening and forgetting to do things like block and dodge - meant a LOT of potion use.

Can't wait for this. Was a pure shot of nostalgia during the whole opening credits and then finished off with Cloud leaping from the train. thought it controlled brilliantly and felt really tight - this was something I was concerned, I never really got to grips with the feel of the latest FF.

Offline db1animal

• Anny Roader
« Reply #207 on: March 5, 2020, 09:21:05 pm »
So did I but also read it wasn't the same as the original turn based, I will wait and see what it looks like before I take a plunge into buying it.

In the difficulty setting there’s ‘Classic’, ‘Easy’ & ‘Normal’, all of which are available to play and try in the demo.

‘Classic’ is the closest to the original turn based, when you encounter fights in the other modes you control the characters entirely, move them around the area, use the ‘square’ button to do standard attacks, these standard attacks build up the characters ‘ATB’ (Active Time Battle) bar which is below their health and has 2 sections once 1 or both are filled you can press the ‘X’ button, this slows the gameplay to almost paused and enters you to a Commands Menu (this can be done at anytime but if you character(s) haven’t filled either of the ATB bars you can’t select anything), in this commands menu you can then select options like in the original game, do larger special physical attacks or use an item or cast a Materia spell, but doing so uses up one (or both if it’s a larger attack) of the ATB bars.

In Classic mode you don’t have to move you character(s) around during the fight or press the ‘square’ button to do the standard attacks the games AI will do it for you, all you have to do is decided when and how to use the ATB bars once they’ve filled up.

At any point in Classic mode you can take control and move the characters yourself, if you stop the AI will take back control.

« Last Edit: March 5, 2020, 09:22:43 pm by db1animal »
Boston Strong. JTF96.  YNWA

Online ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: March 6, 2020, 03:12:14 pm »
In the difficulty setting there’s ‘Classic’, ‘Easy’ & ‘Normal’, all of which are available to play and try in the demo.

‘Classic’ is the closest to the original turn based, when you encounter fights in the other modes you control the characters entirely, move them around the area, use the ‘square’ button to do standard attacks, these standard attacks build up the characters ‘ATB’ (Active Time Battle) bar which is below their health and has 2 sections once 1 or both are filled you can press the ‘X’ button, this slows the gameplay to almost paused and enters you to a Commands Menu (this can be done at anytime but if you character(s) haven’t filled either of the ATB bars you can’t select anything), in this commands menu you can then select options like in the original game, do larger special physical attacks or use an item or cast a Materia spell, but doing so uses up one (or both if it’s a larger attack) of the ATB bars.

In Classic mode you don’t have to move you character(s) around during the fight or press the ‘square’ button to do the standard attacks the games AI will do it for you, all you have to do is decided when and how to use the ATB bars once they’ve filled up.

At any point in Classic mode you can take control and move the characters yourself, if you stop the AI will take back control.

Don't think I will find that mode fun, wouldn't want to be only half controlling them in battle as that is a major part of the game.

I probably wont buy it, and stick to the original.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #209 on: March 7, 2020, 12:57:38 am »
Just played through the demo for the first time. Hugely impressed with it and yet I can't see myself buying the final version. Which sounds strange I know.

It looks and sounds incredible, plays out like a movie, has good voice acting and in general captures the mood of the original and (in my opinion) expands on it. I loved every little cutscene and dialogue exchange. Think they nailed the look of everything.

All my worries about the battle system were justified though. Just awful. I held square every single fight and every now and then chose a different attack to use. Once in a while I had to use a potion. That's not an exaggeration, I genuinely had my thumb on square through every battle. They felt so rushed, the camera darts everywhere and it's hard to work out what's going on. Except nothing is going on, you're just mashing square.

I'll try playing it with the classic setting and see if that's any better. If not I'll opt out. Which is a real shame because as I said, I think they've designed this game incredibly. I'll probably watch all the cut scenes somewhere if that's the case.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: March 7, 2020, 02:18:03 am »
Did anyone else spend inordinate amounts of time in the Gold Saucer and chocobo breeding in the original VII, and playing Triple Triad in the original VIII?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #211 on: March 7, 2020, 06:03:16 am »
Only played it last year but getting that chocoba that could run around the map up walls over water etc was brilliant.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: March 7, 2020, 06:29:13 am »
Did anyone else spend inordinate amounts of time in the Gold Saucer and chocobo breeding in the original VII, and playing Triple Triad in the original VIII?

Yes spent ages trying to breed a gold chocobo.....but never did.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 7, 2020, 10:20:34 am »
I played the demo of the remake and thought it was FANTASTIC.

A few things have undoubtedly changed, but it still felt like FF7.

The graphics obviously were hugely improved, but even though the combat was not turn based with 2 rows facing off from each other, the classic mode (which I played) still felt Final Fantasy.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, coz I don't think I have enjoyed any Final Fantasy since FF8 really. I found the characters way too annoying more than anything.

But this felt like a homecoming of sorts. I played FF7 & FF8 to death and being away from the series for such a long time, (though I had played FFX and Tidus - the Protagonist - just destroyed that game for me. What an annoying little prick he was) and I even played FFXV, it just wasn't the same as 7 & 8.

Looking forward to getting my teeth into the remake :D

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: March 7, 2020, 07:30:12 pm »
I played the demo of the remake and thought it was FANTASTIC.

A few things have undoubtedly changed, but it still felt like FF7.

The graphics obviously were hugely improved, but even though the combat was not turn based with 2 rows facing off from each other, the classic mode (which I played) still felt Final Fantasy.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, coz I don't think I have enjoyed any Final Fantasy since FF8 really. I found the characters way too annoying more than anything.

But this felt like a homecoming of sorts. I played FF7 & FF8 to death and being away from the series for such a long time, (though I had played FFX and Tidus - the Protagonist - just destroyed that game for me. What an annoying little prick he was) and I even played FFXV, it just wasn't the same as 7 & 8.

Looking forward to getting my teeth into the remake :D

FF7 and FF8 had characters? I just played them for the minigames. Fort Condor was another good one.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #215 on: March 7, 2020, 07:54:08 pm »
Played the demo, loved every second

Gonna take some getting used to not being able to really do anything without ATB charges, remembering to block and dodge, making sure not to try healing when I'm about to be interrupted, and especially switching between Punisher and Operator.

Had to use one phoenix down against the scorpion, it's pretty easy to lose track of health and whether the person you're not using is in danger of being hit by an AoE.

Barrett is a bit annoying, but expect that to lessen as the game goes on. Hope there's a bestiary, but not expecting one.

Wonder how MP will be shared from crates that you break, I was using far more of Barrett's spells than Cloud's.

Offline db1animal

• Anny Roader
« Reply #216 on: March 9, 2020, 06:16:49 pm »
Played the demo, loved every second

Gonna take some getting used to not being able to really do anything without ATB charges, remembering to block and dodge, making sure not to try healing when I'm about to be interrupted, and especially switching between Punisher and Operator.

Had to use one phoenix down against the scorpion, it's pretty easy to lose track of health and whether the person you're not using is in danger of being hit by an AoE.

Barrett is a bit annoying, but expect that to lessen as the game goes on. Hope there's a bestiary, but not expecting one.

Wonder how MP will be shared from crates that you break, I was using far more of Barrett's spells than Cloud's.

If you press the touch pad during fights you’ll bring up the enemy info screen
Boston Strong. JTF96.  YNWA

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 1, 2020, 12:42:24 pm »
Pre orders are getting shipped early for this so you might receive it earlier than expected. Quite a few copies already out

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 1, 2020, 12:59:24 pm »
Pre orders are getting shipped early for this so you might receive it earlier than expected. Quite a few copies already out

Australia already have their physical copies, fair few shops broke release and just despatched the copies about a week ago.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #219 on: April 1, 2020, 01:07:44 pm »
Hoping that shopto break their date.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #220 on: April 1, 2020, 05:11:01 pm »
Yeah I got an email from GAME earlier this week that they had their shipment and would start sending them out soon.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 2, 2020, 08:58:07 am »
Shopto broke their date. Getting it today hopefully

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: April 2, 2020, 01:52:28 pm »
And it's here. Thats my lockdown sorted. See you all in June ;)

90GB install!!!  :o

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 2, 2020, 03:05:51 pm »
Anywhere else selling it ?have not preordered
No time for caution.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 2, 2020, 05:00:24 pm »
My friends just received their £280 version in the mail today, they live in Liverpool. GAME at least took the money from me today so maybe I'll get mine tomorrow?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: April 3, 2020, 09:38:36 pm »
The music and score are incredible. It's like being sent back in time

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: April 6, 2020, 05:50:25 pm »
I like it so far. Only managed to play it a couple of hours at a time. Alot of things are done well and they've nailed them ff7 feels.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: April 6, 2020, 08:43:15 pm »
Yep, mine came today and I've put a few hours into it. I'm now at a point where there's a lot of new content being thrown at me which is nice. I managed to get an 8 Darter and received a trophy! That minigame isn't great but I was failing at an even harder version on Persona 5 Royal the other night so that built up my skillz.

Just seen there is a hybrid New Game+ mode that also introduces Hard difficulty so thats going to make this last at least a year.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: April 7, 2020, 07:05:26 pm »
14 hours of very casual play and I'm at Wall Market.

Really impressed so far. Think its stuck to the structure of the original whilst adding alot of flesh to the story.

It does fall a bit into the same trap as any FF post FFX in its very linear structure but I am as happy with it as I could have been.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 8, 2020, 01:43:53 am »
I'm 10ish hours in and have united with Aerith, the main emotional core of the original, so now I've got something to invest in and I'm a happy lad. It's great seeing her personality brought to life, finally with modern HD graphics. She was only in Advent Children for about a minute.

The boss fight with
Spoiler
Reno
[close]
was a bit of an eye opener as I got Game Over 3 or 4 times before I re-equipped a new set of Materia and completely changed my approach to the fight. I have been warned by a friend that there's more where that came from regarding setups for bosses.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #230 on: April 8, 2020, 09:23:23 am »
14 hours of very casual play and I'm at Wall Market.

Really impressed so far. Think its stuck to the structure of the original whilst adding alot of flesh to the story.

It does fall a bit into the same trap as any FF post FFX in its very linear structure but I am as happy with it as I could have been.

FF7, 8 and 9 were very linear affairs. They masquaraded as open world and eventually the world map opens up..but even then it's still very contained.

Not a slant on the series I always enjoyed the structure. But jugding by some of the comments on FF7 Remake I think a few have different recollections :D
:D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: April 8, 2020, 02:55:01 pm »
Well, the open world concept as we know it today didn't really exist back in 1997. Even games like Ocarina of Time were sectioned off.

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2020, 12:19:31 pm »
I'm 10ish hours in and have united with Aerith, the main emotional core of the original, so now I've got something to invest in and I'm a happy lad. It's great seeing her personality brought to life, finally with modern HD graphics. She was only in Advent Children for about a minute.

The boss fight with
Spoiler
Reno
[close]
was a bit of an eye opener as I got Game Over 3 or 4 times before I re-equipped a new set of Materia and completely changed my approach to the fight. I have been warned by a friend that there's more where that came from regarding setups for bosses.

You can block a lot of attacks and insta counter in punisher mode
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2020, 12:19:48 pm »
So far I'm loving the game, its amazing.
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2020, 06:13:11 pm »
It has recaptured the charm of the original with new HD graphics and play styles. They have done a wonderful job so far. I hope there will come a time where we can explore the city a bit more though as it is VERY linear atm.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2020, 06:25:02 pm »
You can block a lot of attacks and insta counter in punisher mode

Spoiler
Indeed. I was using the Counter in Punisher Mode to give myself openings. But I was using Lightning Materia against Reno and after Assessing him I saw he resisted it, and so I changed my setup and attacked his little floaty things instead of trying to fight around them ;D
[close]

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2020, 09:35:49 am »
Just a question on the summon materia...even though there are slots on each character to summon I only ever seem to get it with Cloud, so I've got the moogle summon with tifa and the shiva with aerith but I only ever get ifrit because I have that equipped with cloud. Is this normal?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2020, 01:53:44 pm »
Was going to buy this on the PSN store, £60 is a joke though!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2020, 02:26:22 pm »
Just a question on the summon materia...even though there are slots on each character to summon I only ever seem to get it with Cloud, so I've got the moogle summon with tifa and the shiva with aerith but I only ever get ifrit because I have that equipped with cloud. Is this normal?

Works fine for me. Just build up the Summon meter, switch to the character and summon

Was going to buy this on the PSN store, £60 is a joke though!

PSN prices for non-sale games is terrible.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2020, 02:30:42 pm »
I might wait this one out until everything has been released in a Final Fantasy Complete Edition or whatever.

Looks amazing though.