Author Topic: The creeping silent army of the ether (Twitter-Whoppery)  (Read 50862 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: The creeping silent army of the ether (Twitter-Whoppery)
« Reply #200 on: October 8, 2021, 06:32:44 am »
Poisonous and depressing bunch of wankers laughing about us 'relying on Origi for depth while Newcastle splash the cash' right now. You don't support this club and you don't belong here, knob off.
Yep. The Newcastle news is bringing out the loons.

Weirdos.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #201 on: October 8, 2021, 09:46:55 am »
Poisonous and depressing bunch of wankers laughing about us 'relying on Origi for depth while Newcastle splash the cash' right now. You don't support this club and you don't belong here, knob off.
Hopefully Newcastle splash 50 million on origi
YNWA

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: October 8, 2021, 11:24:51 am »
FSG out was trending yesterday. No surprise whatsoever.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: October 8, 2021, 12:15:44 pm »

I will take your word for that, I keep well away from all that shit.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 8, 2021, 12:55:42 pm »
Fuck me, football really is in a race to the bottom. Imagine getting annoyed because your club isn't owned by a despotic, human rights abusing regime with lots of cash.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #205 on: October 8, 2021, 01:21:49 pm »
Let's be honest here it's what most fans do. Turn a blind eye.

I honestly cannot remember there being a massive backlash on here when Dubai International Capital were looking to buy us.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 8, 2021, 04:31:22 pm »
Let's be honest here it's what most fans do. Turn a blind eye.

I honestly cannot remember there being a massive backlash on here when Dubai International Capital were looking to buy us.

I'll be honest mate, when they were looking to buy us, I was maybe 10, no computer, no social media. I couldn't even point out Dubai on a map nevermind concern myself with human rights abuse's. I hated the idea of Abrhamovich likes buying the league though.

The world's a lot more aware now, there's a lot more of a spread of information. People know what these regimes are like and they still don't care. Honestly shows how toxic society is as a whole, no one gives a fuck beyond their own interests

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #207 on: October 8, 2021, 04:37:29 pm »
I'll be honest mate, when they were looking to buy us, I was maybe 10, no computer, no social media. I couldn't even point out Dubai on a map nevermind concern myself with human rights abuse's. I hated the idea of Abrhamovich likes buying the league though.

The world's a lot more aware now, there's a lot more of a spread of information. People know what these regimes are like and they still don't care. Honestly shows how toxic society is as a whole, no one gives a fuck beyond their own interests

This is the thing Al and a few others have missed.

It was 2007, or earlier. Not that it was the dark ages, but Twitter was barely a thing, Instagram wasn't a thing, Facebook I think you still needed a university email address to register on, internet on your phone wasn't a thing, access to information wherever and whenever you are wasn't a thing, wi-fi was barely a thing. The difference in the amount of information we have access to now compared to 2007 is monstrously big.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 8, 2021, 04:40:59 pm »
Rory Smith made a similar point on the Totally Football Show podcast yesterday, in that people (including himself) are now far more aware of what's going on. And that’s a journalist saying that. So it's no surprise that people's views on ownership are different now than they were 12/13 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2021, 04:42:32 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #209 on: October 8, 2021, 05:00:48 pm »
When there was talk of Thaksin Shinawatra taking over Liverpool, there was pretty strong pushback from Liverpool fans who were against the move. The same, in a slightly different context, happened when Lee Bowyer was poised to move to LFC. Again fans pushed back pretty unequivocally. We didn't want people like this associated with LFC. These were impressive moments for the fanbase

So as a fanbase we can actually point to previous form of pushing back against unsavoury people. On the debit side there was too little scrutiy of Gillet and Hicks and DIC. But generally as a fanbase we've had a reasonable show of conscience when it mattered.

I'm going to say the opposite to many here. I'm going to suggest that if a despotic regime or unsavoury trillionaire were to be lined up to buy LFC off of FSG tomorrow (and lets face it, who but one of the above could afford LFC now, if FSG decided to sell?) then I would expect many currrent LFC fans to act just like Newcastle fans are. There'd still be many of us who would object out of conscience but I'm no longer sure that we would be the loudest voices.

The situation has changed in other ways as well as 'being more aware' these days. Yes, we're more aware of the actions of nations and regimes and individuals, but there's also a greater desperation to spend big money and demand the biggest transfers and put winning above all else. I have no confidence that this fanbase would react in a 'better' way than any other if we were put in the same situation, and that's one reason (there are others as well) why I'm not joining in the free-for-all that's going on at the moment against Newcastle.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #210 on: October 8, 2021, 07:36:42 pm »
This is the thing Al and a few others have missed.

It was 2007, or earlier. Not that it was the dark ages, but Twitter was barely a thing, Instagram wasn't a thing, Facebook I think you still needed a university email address to register on, internet on your phone wasn't a thing, access to information wherever and whenever you are wasn't a thing, wi-fi was barely a thing. The difference in the amount of information we have access to now compared to 2007 is monstrously big.

How about the mainstream media then. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jan/25/liverpool.premierleague

DIC is the investment arm of one of the world's most undemocratic regimes - despite their hatred of Hicks and Gillett would the Kop want that on their conscience?
Fri 25 Jan 2008 11.04 GMT

As Liverpool stuttered to an unconvincing draw with Aston Villa on Monday night, their fans held banners proclaiming 'Yanks Out, Dubai In', sang songs attacking Tom Hicks and George Gillett, and all-but-begged Dubai Investment Capital to rescue the club's soul. To no avail: Hicks and Gillett are about to secure a £350m loan to refinance their takeover, and the prospect of DIC taking over at Anfield now seems remote. To most Liverpool fans, this week's developments are a disaster. But perhaps they should be seen as a blessing. Because while DIC might be more wealthy than Hicks and Gillett, they carry a lot more baggage too.

DIC is the investment arm of Dubai Holding, a wholly government-owned company that has interests in everything from logistics to island building. And by government-owned, we mean almost solely owned by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, the absolute ruler of Dubai, vice-president of the UAE and one of the richest men in the world. Which is the problem. The ethical probity of who buys your football club has been brought in to sharp focus by Thaksin Shinawatra's capture of Manchester City. And when you start to strip away at Dubai's gleaming façade and phenomenal economic growth, one fact glares out: if DIC bought Liverpool, the club would effectively be owned by a dictator. A benign dictator, but a dictator nonetheless.

I'll come clean up front. I have a special affection for Dubai, having lived there for 2½ years, writing for Time Out magazine. And a good time it was too. The sun shone, wages were tax-free, life was good. But soon it became clear that the protestations that Dubai was a liberal, free enclave in the Middle East weren't all that they were cracked up to be. Articles were regularly censored or pulled so that they didn't upset the Sheikh. "You can move around the edges," one editor told me. "But you cannot question Sheikh Mohammad's vision for Dubai".

One piece on Dubai World's purchase of P&O - another Sheikh Mo funded initiative that caused a political storm in the US - almost got me the sack. But that's the problem when you live under a system where one man, ultimately, has absolute power and can take your business off you at a moment's notice: everyone walks on eggs shells to avoid antagonising him.

In fact the UAE is one of the most undemocratic countries in the world, in the same bracket as Cuba and North Korea. Dubai makes up one of seven Emirates ruled by their own royal families. Limited elections were held recently but they were for the largely meaningless Federal National Council and only covered 1% of the 800,000 strong national population. The last index of democracy by the Economist placed the UAE 150th out of 167, two places below that paragon of democratic virtues, Zimbabwe.

Still, for the lack of democracy, you have the Dubai economic miracle to point to. Sheikh Mohammed must take enormous credit for transforming a sleepy little pearling port into one of the richest patches of land on the planet in a few decades. The problem is that Dubai's mega-structures and glitzy, eye-catching projects are built on the backs of an army of grossly exploited migrant workers. Allegations of non-payment of wages, passport confiscations, physical abuse, non-existent healthcare coverage, awful pay and appalling health and safety are rife among the UAE's half-a-million construction workers.

I saw the conditions first hand in the summer of 2006. In a camp on the outskirts of Dubai, a few minutes' drive from the gleaming opulence of the Burj Al Arab hotel, construction workers building the Dubai Mall (the largest and most expensive mall in the world) at the Burj Dubai site (the tallest and most expensive building in the world), sat 10, 15, 20 to a room. Most had come from the Punjab and earned less than £75 a month for back-breaking work in up to 50-degree heat, six days a week. Raw sewage leaked from overhead pipes into the filthy communal bathroom and kitchen. One Indian man, with tears in his eyes, told me he was suicidal because he couldn't return home. He'd taken out a loan against his family's land back home to pay for his visa, as most of these men had done. If he went home, his family would be homeless. The employers knew this, he said, and drove down wages accordingly.

Conditions had got so bad that riots began to break out on the site and Human Rights Watch published a scathing report on labour abuse in the Emirate. "One of the world's largest construction booms is feeding off of workers in Dubai, but they're treated as less than human," said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East and North African director at HRW. "It's no surprise that some workers have started rioting in protest. What's surprising is that the government of the UAE is doing nothing to solve the problem."

A draft labour law was introduced last year but according to HRW it is just a drop in the ocean and key areas, like the right to unionise, have been ignored. Violators of labour laws are rarely punished in any case due to insufficient monitoring, although the negative publicity might now be getting through to the very top. "Sheikh Mohammed is embarrassed by the criticism that the labour issues have drawn," Nicholas Labuschagne, an executive at Dubai Holding, told the US magazine Architectural Record. "We're hoping we can show some very significant progress within the next six months."

But by far the most disturbing story emerged at the beginning of last year. Sheikh Mohammed and his brother, along with others, were served with a class action lawsuit in Miami for their part in the alleged abuse of underage child camel jockeys. (The case was dismissed on the technical ground that the US courts did not have the jurisdiction to try it). The Sheikh is well known in horse racing circles. His Godolphin stables in Dubai are world famous and he hosts the Dubai World Cup, the world's richest horse race every year. But his penchant for camel racing is less well known. According to the Ansar Burney Trust, a charity that brought the issue to the world's attention, boys as young as four were kidnapped in their thousands from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sudan and forced to ride in camel races. The lighter the jockeys, the better. So the boys were systematically starved and beaten. Others, it is alleged, were raped or beaten to death and buried in a shallow unmarked grave in the desert.

Camel racing in the UAE is huge business, with the top camels changing hands for millions of dollars, but the revelations of the boys' conditions forced some action. Child jockeys were banned and replaced with robots. But according to the Ansar Burney Trust, thousands of young boys are still unaccounted for and unborn children are smuggled into the UAE and Qatar to breed the next generation of jockeys.

You can poke holes in anyone's character given a long enough stick. But the vociferous calls from the Anfield Kop for a Dubai-led rescue mission smack more of desperation than a desire to reconnect with the club's core values. Hicks and Gillett may have made some stupid mistakes, but do they really compare that badly to an owner tainted by controversy and who apparently has little interest in football, only in furthering the cause of Brand Dubai? Sometimes, it's better the devil you know.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #211 on: October 8, 2021, 08:15:25 pm »
Most football fans wouldn’t care if the most brutal and despotic regime turned up and bought their club if they can offer them success. Sad but true.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #212 on: October 8, 2021, 08:27:26 pm »
Most football fans wouldn’t care if the most brutal and despotic regime turned up and bought their club if they can offer them success. Sad but true.

I’d lose footballing hope if supporters of Liverpool who have been brought up with the club wouldn’t care.  I am still of the belief that Liverpool fans who actually know the club (and city) do have a strong social conscience, when many other clubs’ fans don’t.

So I am not counting the loud Twitter whoppers who sadly for Liverpool, are a bunch of spoilt little brats who jumped on a bandwagon.  And yes, there are far too many of them.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: October 9, 2021, 12:45:46 am »
I think it's just symptomatic of a larger issue which is the internet and social media have made transmission of information instantaneous. Things move at such a rapid pace, that a scandal or story that previously would have lasted days in the printed press are now publicised, digested and finished in a matter of hours. It's innately human to want attention, social media allows for more attention than was possible before and the more extreme your views the more attention, positive or negative you get. People have always tended to make their mind up immediately have great difficulty changing it, but now there is a reward structure both financial (viral tweets often get paid to put product placements below them) and psychological for doing this publicly and taking extreme stances as theatre. As a result you get people behaving in ways that are almost a caricature of what one would consider reactionary.

Sadly, popularity is a double edged sword. Because of the number of fans we have, even a single digit percentage of our fans being dickheads results in tens of thousands of dickheads. There are people that follow us not because they have an attachment to the club or the city or the manager, but because we're good. They follow us as part of a self-image thing, it's kind of an analogue to conspicuous consumption. They want others to be jealous of them, so they want the club to indulge their desire for signing the biggest name - not just for the football they produce but for the moment they can lord over their friends that support other clubs.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: October 9, 2021, 01:08:14 am »

I think part of the problem is ignorance. I can imagine many fans don’t even know what happens in SA. I knew the main issues, but I’ve learned quite a bit more even over the last few days. Then there’s those who simply believe the propaganda about SA becoming more progressive.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #215 on: October 9, 2021, 01:31:17 am »

Looking at the majority of those that got it trending, it looks as if most are bot accounts.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #216 on: October 9, 2021, 11:23:21 am »
I’d lose footballing hope if supporters of Liverpool who have been brought up with the club wouldn’t care.  I am still of the belief that Liverpool fans who actually know the club (and city) do have a strong social conscience, when many other clubs’ fans don’t.

So I am not counting the loud Twitter whoppers who sadly for Liverpool, are a bunch of spoilt little brats who jumped on a bandwagon.  And yes, there are far too many of them.

I am a big fan of both Neil Atkinson and SOS but lets not pretend they were against DIC taking over the Club.

Neil Atkinson, spokesperson for the Liverpool Supporters Union 'Spirit of Shankly', told the Daily Telegraph: "Should DIC make their way into the club, they should be welcomed with caution - they may or may not have the best interests of the club at heart."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/spirit-shankly-group-talks-dic-3485455

LIVERPOOL fans group Spirit of Shankly today confirmed they had repeated discussions with potential Reds suitors Dubai International Capital (DIC).

The group had talks with the Dubai government investment arm over having a fan on the Liverpool board if DIC took over the club.

Today it emerged Spirit of Shankly met DIC’s UK adviser Amanda Stavely before the Champions League clash against Chelsea at Anfield.

A number of subjects were discussed but the conversation centred mainly on putting a fans’ representative on the Liverpool board.

Spirit of Shankly spokesman Neil Atkinson said: “DIC were very interested in what we had to say.

“They seemed very keen. And while we are not a Dubai cheering group they were interested in our views.

“We feel that DIC wouldn’t be having talks with us if they didn’t feel that, in the future, there was no point having a discussion.

“This is a great opportunity for Liverpool supporters to ensure the club is run as they want.

I am vehemently opposed to nations and Oligarch's owning Football Clubs but I think we as a fan base need to lose the confrontational holier than thou attitude to the likes of City, Chelsea and now Newcastle and come together. Horrible people owning football clubs is nothing new Gaddafi bought 6.4m shares in Juve as far back as 2002.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 9, 2021, 11:51:06 am »
When there was talk of Thaksin Shinawatra taking over Liverpool, there was pretty strong pushback from Liverpool fans who were against the move. The same, in a slightly different context, happened when Lee Bowyer was poised to move to LFC. Again fans pushed back pretty unequivocally. We didn't want people like this associated with LFC. These were impressive moments for the fanbase

So as a fanbase we can actually point to previous form of pushing back against unsavoury people. On the debit side there was too little scrutiy of Gillet and Hicks and DIC. But generally as a fanbase we've had a reasonable show of conscience when it mattered.

I'm going to say the opposite to many here. I'm going to suggest that if a despotic regime or unsavoury trillionaire were to be lined up to buy LFC off of FSG tomorrow (and lets face it, who but one of the above could afford LFC now, if FSG decided to sell?) then I would expect many currrent LFC fans to act just like Newcastle fans are. There'd still be many of us who would object out of conscience but I'm no longer sure that we would be the loudest voices.

The situation has changed in other ways as well as 'being more aware' these days. Yes, we're more aware of the actions of nations and regimes and individuals, but there's also a greater desperation to spend big money and demand the biggest transfers and put winning above all else. I have no confidence that this fanbase would react in a 'better' way than any other if we were put in the same situation, and that's one reason (there are others as well) why I'm not joining in the free-for-all that's going on at the moment against Newcastle.

I agree to an extent. I think there'd suddenly be a lot of rationalising going on and "well everyone else is doing it, it's either this or get left behind forever". I still like to think we've got more of a conscience than most fanbases, and that there'd be at least some resistance to a takeover by truly abhorrent owners like Abu Dhabi and PFI, in comparison to the wide open arms, red carpet treatment of seemingly the entire Newcastle fan base.

Something that also gets overlooked a bit is that I think it would be easier for us to reject, as Liverpool fans. Because we have won things, we do win things, we know what success is. We've experienced being the best in the world. Both years ago and today. Fans of Newcastle have seen their team win fuck all since what, 1955? Mid-table mediocrity for most of their lives. They must be absolutely desperate for on-field success, just a taste of it, for once in their lives. Desperate in a way that Liverpool fans aren't, because compared to most teams in the country we've been spoiled down the years. Rightly or wrongly, that is going to have an impact on how easily can put aside your morals for shiny new owners and the guarantee of footballing success.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2021, 11:52:42 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: October 9, 2021, 11:52:41 am »
What do you mean "come together"?

Their official supporters group were overwhelmingly (96%) in favour of being taken over by one of the most brutal, despotic regimes on this planet. They're dancing around, waving Saudi flags and wearing the mask of a man who ordered the dismemberment of a journalist not too long ago. The abuses that women, minorities and other dissidents face in their home country are well documented. It's 2021, they can't really plead ignorance as to the activities of their new owners. I don't see what's "holier than thou" about holding a vile regime in contempt.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #219 on: October 9, 2021, 12:17:29 pm »
What do you mean "come together"?

Their official supporters group were overwhelmingly (96%) in favour of being taken over by one of the most brutal, despotic regimes on this planet. They're dancing around, waving Saudi flags and wearing the mask of a man who ordered the dismemberment of a journalist not too long ago. The abuses that women, minorities and other dissidents face in their home country are well documented. It's 2021, they can't really plead ignorance as to the activities of their new owners. I don't see what's "holier than thou" about holding a vile regime in contempt.

The holier than thou bit is targeting the owners of City and Newcastle because they are our rivals whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that we were quite happy to jump into bed with DIC. As for that being in the past what about the club sending Virgil to Dubai to the Nad al Sheba Sports Complex to do his rehab at a complex built with slave labour and the home to child camel riding.

We need to win hearts and minds and not turn it in to a tribal football affair.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: October 9, 2021, 12:43:02 pm »
The holier than thou bit is targeting the owners of City and Newcastle because they are our rivals whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that we were quite happy to jump into bed with DIC. As for that being in the past what about the club sending Virgil to Dubai to the Nad al Sheba Sports Complex to do his rehab at a complex built with slave labour and the home to child camel riding.

Neil Atkinson or SoS is not "we", and their words certainly don't mean that individuals can't have opinions now that they would have held back then. And as has been said many times in this thread, opinions are allowed to change, especially given how much more is known about these states compared to 10+ years ago. I remember keeping track of our takeover attempts via teletext!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #221 on: October 9, 2021, 12:50:34 pm »

Not everyone did want DIC, there were plenty of people I knew who didn't want them either.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #222 on: October 9, 2021, 12:55:44 pm »
Not everyone did want DIC, there were plenty of people I knew who didn't want them either.

Yes and there are plenty of people who rightfully complain about City and PSG's owners and then jet off to Dubai, Turkey or Thailand without a care in the world.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 9, 2021, 12:57:23 pm »
 ;D ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #224 on: October 9, 2021, 01:04:23 pm »
Yes and there are plenty of people who rightfully complain about City and PSG's owners and then jet off to Dubai, Turkey or Thailand without a care in the world.

Splitting hairs as usual. Nothing in that argument stops the charge that these should be nowhere near any football club. I still don't understand how it is that Staveley has become the mouthpiece for an regime that beats her fellow women until they are black and blue, just because they are fighting for basic human rights. But go on making the usual side track arguments.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #225 on: October 9, 2021, 04:03:04 pm »
I know I contributed a post so I am to blame as much as anyone but I'm wondering if we can return this thread back to being about Twitter whoppery and not Newcastle or objectionable football ownership, which are being discussed vociferously elsewhere
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #226 on: October 9, 2021, 04:06:55 pm »
I know I contributed a post so I am to blame as much as anyone but I'm wondering if we can return this thread back to being about Twitter whoppery and not Newcastle or objectionable football ownership, which are being discussed vociferously elsewhere

Is this discussion egregious, though? Vociferous confabulation cannot be lackadaisical, which is beneficent in terms referencing the clamorous nature of the discourse...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #227 on: October 9, 2021, 05:03:12 pm »

I am confused the lack of widespread complaints about Dubai buying Liverpool was earlier being blamed on it being pre Twitter.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2021, 09:28:53 am »
You wouldn't think we'd won last night on there this morning. Another tedious argument about why Keita gets criticised more than Henderson or Milner. Dickheads accusing Pearce of being racist because he's done an article about Keita last night.

These people don't enjoy football.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2021, 06:18:37 pm »
Unlikely to be a popular opinion but I think people have too much of their lives wrapped up in football - whether this is playing, watching in the pub, supporting in the ground.

I'd imagine many are familiar with the kind of player who turns up to a game looking for a scrap, needing the take their frustrations with the world out on someone or something and, as a result, gets into a scrap at a kick about.

The guy in the pub who will get tanked through the game and if result goes the wrong way smashes a glass or gets themselves kicked out for being belligerent.

The person who allows their team's result to define how they feel for the rest of the weekend, or even week.

Or who needs to jump straight on Twitter or similar to lay into a player/set of fans for their perceived failings.

If any of the above is the case, there is an argument for having an unhealthy relationship with the game - the statistics around things such as domestic violence after games and the rise in hate tweets etc would, I think, support this.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2021, 06:55:33 pm »
Unlikely to be a popular opinion but I think people have too much of their lives wrapped up in football - whether this is playing, watching in the pub, supporting in the ground.

I'd imagine many are familiar with the kind of player who turns up to a game looking for a scrap, needing the take their frustrations with the world out on someone or something and, as a result, gets into a scrap at a kick about.

The guy in the pub who will get tanked through the game and if result goes the wrong way smashes a glass or gets themselves kicked out for being belligerent.

The person who allows their team's result to define how they feel for the rest of the weekend, or even week.

Or who needs to jump straight on Twitter or similar to lay into a player/set of fans for their perceived failings.

If any of the above is the case, there is an argument for having an unhealthy relationship with the game - the statistics around things such as domestic violence after games and the rise in hate tweets etc would, I think, support this.

Funniest thing I think I've ever read on here. That opening sentence will go down in the annals of RAWK history.

They should make you a modjumalator for that one line alone.

Triffic.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2021, 06:57:07 pm »
Funniest thing I think I've ever read on here. That opening sentence will go down in the annals of RAWK history.

Triffic.

Penetrating self-awareness, though...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2021, 07:02:23 pm »
You wouldn't think we'd won last night on there this morning. Another tedious argument about why Keita gets criticised more than Henderson or Milner. Dickheads accusing Pearce of being racist because he's done an article about Keita last night.

These people don't enjoy football.

I like Keita and his abilities but it's a fucking stupid argument and always has been. Even when he does play I very rarely think he stands out as performing better than Henderson/Milner/Jones/Thiago etc, and Wijnaldum when he was here. The ones who call people racist when they even slightly criticise him don't know how silly they look.

I agree with what you say about the result though. If you'd shown me some of the shite I've read today without me knowing the result, I'd be convinced we'd just been fucking tanked. Have people also just failed to regard who we played too? The Spanish champions in one of the few most challenging grounds in the world. You'd think we've just laboured to a win against League One opposition. Even a point would have been a more than acceptable result.

On the midfield, I didn't think any of them were particularly good but I refuse to believe they were a disaster by any stretch. We've gone to a few grounds in Europe in recent years and struggled massively but other than a good spell for Atletico in the first half it was all under control.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2021, 07:15:05 pm »

Triffic.

I might need to reword that first line a touch to be fair as it doesn't read as cleanly as I first thought. What I meant was that the unhealthy expression could be in those scenarios.

The positives of being part of a fan group, sharing the highs and lows together, the sense of community, the humour (not all of it as good as the joker thinks it is...). The positives of being part of a football team, the health side, learning about the game - these are all reasons to get involved and have football as a huge part of ones life.

It is less healthy though when it reaches the examples I put above - with many other interests/fandoms it would be considered toxic to behave that way.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2021, 07:24:41 pm »
I think what is true is that some people are just absolute bellends and this will shine through in some way shape or form. Sometimes it could a result in a match, other times it could be someone brushing off them in a pub or just someone or something doing something that annoys them and they overreact in any number of ways. That's not football or societies fault, that is a problem entirely to do with them.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 21, 2021, 12:57:03 pm »
The internet is sustained by pains in the arse, full stop. You only have to browse this board, let alone twitter or any place else. They're all the same.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2022, 12:02:53 pm »
Thought I would give this a bump for anyone who needs therapy following a Twitter-occupied meltdown about Liverpool's transfer (in)activity?

Are these fans just deluxe-thickos? 7 years of the Klopp 'model' but they never ever learn. EVER!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2022, 12:17:09 pm »
Really weird. I'm fairly calm about everything. I'm sure they all know we need a midfielder long term but have their reasons for waiting, based on their current track record I'm happy to wait for when they feel it's time to move.

Some people seemingly are just always unhappy unless we spend £200m a summer.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2022, 12:20:23 pm »
Thought I would give this a bump for anyone who needs therapy following a Twitter-occupied meltdown about Liverpool's transfer (in)activity?

Are these fans just deluxe-thickos? 7 years of the Klopp 'model' but they never ever learn. EVER!

Plenty of weirdos on there who just project a constrant stream of negativity and entitled whinging because they have nothing else about them. They are absolutely delighted when we lose because they'll have a chance to get some likes off strangers. Being negative is their only personality trait.

Transfers are also the be all and end all, not trophies.

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2022, 12:21:59 pm »
Really weird. I'm fairly calm about everything. I'm sure they all know we need a midfielder long term but have their reasons for waiting, based on their current track record I'm happy to wait for when they feel it's time to move.

Some people seemingly are just always unhappy unless we spend £200m a summer.

Yep. They want shiny names that they've never seen outside of YouTube. Signing a long awaited backup RB? Nah mate, give us Tchouameni or Adriano dos Santos Liera Alvarez Martinez.