Author Topic: Liverpool vs Sevilla Fútbol Club, S.A.D, Uefa Champions League 13/09/2017  (Read 43475 times)

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

And we’re back. Back where we belong, rubbing shoulders against Europe’s elite in a quest to be reunited with our old friend Big Ears. Ok, so maybe it’s a bit too early for talk of rekindling our love with the European Cup; we must successfully navigate our way through fixtures against Maribor, Spartak Moscow and Sevilla before we can perhaps dare to dream. There are no elite level teams at this stage to face this team around, unlike our last foray into this competition where we were met with the class of Real Madrid and the brilliance of Ronaldo. The other two teams in the shape of Swiss outfit FC Basel and unknowns Ludogorets gave us hope of passage through to the knockout stages. Yet we faltered, stumbling into 3rd place, only a point ahead of Ludogorets, and a deflating 13 points behind European giants Madrid. A sobering return to the promised land on that occasion and perhaps reason to be wary of a potential slip up this time around as well. Sevilla have beaten us in a European Final under Klopp’s leadership recently, Moscow is not a fun place to go and Maribor will be more than up for it and will want to upset the apple cart. I saw a lot of responses across RAWK and the wild world of social media that this was ‘the best draw possible’ and ‘we will breeze through’, giving the majority of the fanbase a confidence and arrogance that progressing into the last 16 is a mere formality. I’m hoping refreshing people’s memories of that last hopeless Champions League campaign will bring them to realise we must treat all these teams with respect yet bring them hell when they do arrive to play under the illustrious Anfield floodlights.

These Anfield nights are what we are famous for, what teams across the land and on the continent know us for. We are renowned for a European atmosphere. Inter Milan, St Etienne, Chelsea, Dortmund. Countless players, both for and against, have mentioned the affects of the crowd. Some opposition players enjoy it (so they say) and some most certainly buckle under the pressure. This fixture should create an atmosphere that we know we can produce. If we want the players to do their job and not let us down then we must perform our duties as best we can as well. And we've set the bar quite fucking high there, haven't we? I don't think we could ever replicate that Chelsea fixture again, but we can certainly create a sea of red and a wall of noise for 90 minutes. We're capable, so lets produce the goods and the men in Red on the pitch will do their thing and blow Sevilla away.

We simply cannot let ourselves down in this European campaign. All of last seasons work was precisely for this competition. The top 4 goal set out at the start of the season was accomplished and after sweeping Hoffenheim to one side with two scintillating attacking performances we have got our prize. To simply turn up and make the numbers in this campaign would not be deemed good enough given the potential ease of this draw on paper. As I said, I myself will not be counting my chickens just yet but I am hopeful we can make a mark in this competition given the quality we have throughout the side and the world class manager leading them.

This is a new experience for a lot of this squad and for the few that have tasted the Champions League, none have had any real success in which they have contributed massively. The manager, however, does have experience of relative ‘success’, guiding his immense Dortmund side to the Final in Wembley back in 2013. They were denied in the dying moments on that occasion, meaning Klopp’s trip to the Capital was to end in heartbreak. If Jurgen can find a way through the group stages with his young, exciting side this time around then there won’t be anybody queuing up to face us. But like I said; lets not get ahead of ourselves and focus on the group stage matches first and we start with Sevilla.

Just the mention of the Spanish side’s name is enough to bring back horrible memories of that Final back in 2016. Victory that night would have meant a return to this competition last season and perhaps a shortcut to quicker success. Alas, it simply wasn’t to be.  That game in Basel was the only competitive fixture between the two sides and we will be aiming for revenge in this European campaign. They may have recent excellent and unrivalled success with Big Ears little brother but European Royalty they are not; we are part of an exclusive club in that respect.  And when they come to Anfield next Wednesday they will be met with an atmosphere they have never seen before, a sea of red and white with the most spectacular banners raised aloft on the Kop. We can only hope that the presence and ferociousness of the fans is enough to put them off their game. If not then the quality of the 11 Redmen on the pitch will have to do. And there will be plenty of that.

The pace, vigour and swagger of Mane, Salah and Firmino will create nightmares for even the most solid of defences at home and abroad this season and this gives them the chance to showcase their skills at the top table. They have earned the right to be there; now they must show they belong there. The return to fitness (sniggers) of Coutinho will give these 3 even more ammunition in which to shoot down the opposition and that can only be good news for us.  You’d fancy we can outscore just about anyone we come up against this season but I’d settle for a 1-0 right now! Sadly with our defence clean sheets don’t seem likely, although the stat of 7 of those in the last 9 league games perhaps dispelling that myth. I’m personally not so sure and think we are very lightweight back there. That has been discussed enough across the board here though so that’s enough from me. Onto the midfield and with Emre Can’s return to form, Wijnaldum seeming to love performing at home with perhaps the obvious inclusion of their Skipper could give Klopp a potential headache in the midfield with the aforementioned Brazilian magician returning to ‘fitness’. There's murmurs of Karius being given the nod for the Champions League games this season which is good for him but perhaps not good for stability and balance at the back. I prefer Loris and think he will be a great keeper but personally I'd rather we just chose one of the 3 good goalkeepers we have on the books and stick with them. I trust Klopp to get it right in the long run though so no real need for someone like me to go on about the selection or the tactics too much. I’ll leave that to the excellence of Klopp, his staff and the posters of RAWK.

One final note: This was written before yesterdays 'performance' so the following sentences appear even more prominent now: Please don’t whinge and please don’t moan about what did or didn’t happen in the transfer window or indeed yesterdays game. We’re where we belong so enjoy it, savour it, as it hasn’t happened all that often over the last 7 years. This is our competition, our bread and butter and we can beat anybody on our sacred turf. We are European Royalty. We are Liverpool.

Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Liverpool vs Sevilla Fútbol Club, S.A.D, Uefa Champions League 13/09/2017
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:02:50 am »
Fantastic post Al.

As someone who can remember all of our European Cup wins I just cannot wait for Wednesday. You made some excellent points in this about treating all those teams with due respect. European competition can always create the unexpected, and going to Moscow is never going to be easy. But as you pointed out Anfield European nights have their own unique atmosphere. I will never forget the final whistle against Chelsea, when we bundled Mourinho's men out of the competition with Luis's "ghost" goal. How we all just stayed on our feet and sang and chanted until they begged us to leave the ground. Feelings like that are what makes football worth the effort, even in today's mad world.

I am really excited about the idea of Klopp taking us into Europe this is one of the things I've been waiting for. A new adventure, new style of play but most of all a new chapter back in big time European competition. Let's make our mark and make sure that this becomes a regular thing for us once again.  :scarf

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:11:40 am »
Great OP, thanks for putting the time into it.

Really excited for this one. After what happened yesterday it is great to have a game again so quickly, and what a game it is for us. Having these at home first is a big thing, if we can get the win and get the campaign kicked off in style then we will be in a really good position. Either way, it feels fantastic to be looking forward to Champions League games again. Anfield will be rocking, the players will be right up for it, even more so after yesterday's game. I don't like how Madrid have crept all the way up to 12 in our absence, it's time to close the gap.

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:11:49 am »
Great OP thanks and nice to read something positive today. Really looking forward to this one - should be a good indication of how good this LFC team is. Hopefully the Man City result proves to be a crazy anomaly and this gets us back on track.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 11:28:03 am »
hopefully the weekends result doesn't affect the atmosphere

think we'll bounce back , and a chance for revenges for the europa league final heartbreak ...

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:36:11 am »
Love European nights they have been so many with games that I don't think any other team in world football can have experienced , inter Milan , borrusia moenchengladbach ( first leg Of the final , St Ettiene , auxerre, roma, olympiakos , Chelsea twice , arsenal , real Madrid , Dortmund etc they are just so special to us more than any other competition . Should be a good atmosphere though I do think the early group stage matches dont have potentially as much hanging on them as the later ones or the knockout phase hopefully we will be all guns blazing on the pitch and in the stands and blitz them like hoffenheim

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 11:40:13 am »
After our recent hammering and Sevilla looking in good form,  I think this will be a tight game and will take a draw.  Need to slowly rebuild confidence after Saturday and I'm not expecting miracles.

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 11:50:37 am »
Really nice OP. Clever rider too: 'One final note: This was written before yesterdays 'performance' so....' ;D

It'll be good to get what looks like the trickiest home game out of the way and they go into with their confidence high after a 3-0 win yesterday.

Hopefully our ahem, injured lad returns and brings some much needed guile. If he's in the mood then Mane, Firmino and Salah could have a productive night but my instinct tells me it will be a tight affair. Any kind of victory please.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 12:17:24 pm »
Can't come soon enough. Get yesterday disgrace out of the system and back to winning ways. Think we'll win this 2 or 3-1. Team and hopefully fans will be up for it. Our front three will be too much for them I think.

I'd go with...

Karius
Gomez - Matip - Lovren - Moreno
Can - Henderson - Oxlade
Salah - Firmino - Mane

Then we would have Coutinho to come off the bench second half. I'd bring Ox in because I'm tired of Gini's disappearing acts, although he has tended to be good in big home games in the past so that would be my only reservation about dropping him. I'd bring Gomez in to help shore things up at the back too. Robertson or Moreno is a toss of a coin. Neither is obviously better than the other so not really bothered who starts.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 12:22:40 pm »
Looking forward to this match, Liverpool belong in the Champions League and the first game of the group stages should be something we look forward to every season. Under Klopp, I believe we soon will be doing just that.

I want the players to be angry as hell about yesterday, I want them to use Sevilla as a stress ball and I want the team to send a strong statement. Yes, we lost heavily on Saturday but it was a freak result and Sevilla certainly should not be looking forward to playing us.

One benefit of the red card is that Mane can be at full fitness for the next couple of European games, hopefully this results in plenty of goals from him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 12:41:38 pm »
Time to reactify yesterdays result, the cup final, and our piss poor performances from 3 years ago in CL.

Salah,Firmino and Mane should all be firing up, and I imagine that Coutinho will play as well.

A comprehensive win, will do.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 12:41:50 pm »
One of the worst things about this place are the post match and individual player threads whenever we drop points but these are the threads that actually make RAWK what it is.

Nice one mate. Can't wait for Wednesday.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 12:54:40 pm »
Don't Celtic have an anthem like You'll Never Walk Alone?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 01:33:35 pm »
Yes! Please let it be Wednesday already.

Fully expecting there to be a massive reaction in what should be a good atmosphere. Tough opposition, but we owe them and this is our first proper CL game under Klopp.

Time to right some wrongs.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 01:45:36 pm »
Don't Celtic have the anthem You'll Never Walk Alone?

Yes

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 01:51:36 pm »
Seville aren't as good as the last time we played them and with our forward line up we're a much better team.  It will be tough but we should win.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 02:00:04 pm »
Looking forward to this game. We get an opportunity to bounce back from the City game. I expect Coutinho to be back from his ehrm,...injury. Not sure where, but we'll find a way to include him. Hoping for a cracking atmosphere like Spanish Al mentioned in the OP. Let's show the true qualities of this LFC.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 02:12:59 pm »
I'm always nervous before any European match at Anfield be it against a Real Madrid or a Ludogorets, and I imagine Wednesday night will be a massive challenge, but I'm confident we can win this.

The only thing we can do right now after yesterday is go out and get 3 points. A win would be the perfect start of course, but I want, no, expect, a hell of a fucking performance on the night. We owe these bastards one for last year, and while it might not be a final, it's as good a chance we might ever get to put one over them.

Think the right mentality to have when entering the ground on Wednesday will be to put the City result behind us and create what is hopefully a brilliant, intimidating atmosphere.

Up the fucking reds.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 02:15:29 pm »
Sevilla they do seem to have a older looking team and did sign a lot of older players this summer .

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 02:17:14 pm »
This is the buisiness...

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 02:47:13 pm »
Liverpool at Anfield on an European night. Mane, Fiirmino and Salah to have too much for them, and that's before Phil comes on to get a few mins... I think we'll be too quick for them and we'll want to right a few wrongs after yesterday.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 02:51:34 pm »
Liverpool at Anfield on an European night. Mane, Fiirmino and Salah to have too much for them, and that's before Phil comes on to get a few mins... I think we'll be too quick for them and we'll want to right a few wrongs after yesterday.

I reckon Coutinho starts and does an hour...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 02:55:32 pm »
I reckon Coutinho starts and does an hour...

Thought it'd be too early still, given his lack of training. Plenty of games coming up for him to start, whether it's in the front 3, what with Sadio, or in midfield. Think he starts his first game in the one or two after this one and it comes up front.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 02:56:50 pm »
This is what we worked so hard for after the heartbreak of that Europa final. Nice coincidence in that respect. Fuck yesterday's result - Anfield should be bouncing on Wednesday. Let's blow them away.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 04:04:39 pm »
All out, let's smash these c*nts and make it a wonderful Andfield night. :scarf :scarf
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 04:17:19 pm »

Say nothing of that Europa League final. Been waiting a while for this particular game.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 04:17:34 pm »
we need revenge against these S.A.D bastards.

and a win would hopefully rid us of any memories from yesterday's game.
The change is cast

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 04:21:47 pm »
we need revenge against these S.A.D bastards.

and a win would hopefully rid us of any memories from yesterday's game.

This.  Lets get stuck into the bastards from the get go. 

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 04:28:33 pm »
Please get all those flags out, get the songs going well  before kick off and show Europe  that we're back.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 04:30:52 pm »
Come on Redmen!
Time to get the show back on the road. My daughters will be there so hope they enjoy their first CL experience. Suspect Mane, Sturridge and Firmino start up front. Phil on the bench and will start against Burnley. Hope Grujic gets a start too.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 05:16:10 pm »
Coutinho needs to be involved on Wednesday. We should win as well.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 05:20:05 pm »
Coutinho needs to be involved on Wednesday. We should win as well.

Think he'll get at least half an hour then come in for Mane at the weekend.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 06:25:51 pm »
Win. Revenge. Morale boost.

Win win win. Smash 'em.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 06:54:48 pm »
Seriously excited for this.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 07:17:18 pm »
                Mignolet

Gomez Matip Lovren Robertson

Hendo Can Coutinho

Salah   Firmino   Mane
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 07:21:25 pm »
                Mignolet

Gomez Matip Lovren Robertson

Hendo Can Coutinho

Salah   Firmino   Mane

2 huge problems with that team

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 07:55:12 pm »

Care to elaborate or are we supposed to guess?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2017, 08:26:06 pm »

1. You didn't post it
2. You're bored and trolling?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 08:29:40 pm »
First issue is the keeper. Second is Lovren

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:13 pm »
Mignolet currently isn't an issue.