Author Topic: Emre Can  (Read 288854 times)

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Re: Emre Can
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2017, 03:18:25 pm »
I dont personally think he's going anywhere.

Klopp appears to love Emre and now that he appears over his calf injury is showing some really decent form.

He was the darling of these boards at one point then became the whipping boy.

He's sloppy at times and can be infuriatingly wasteful in possession, but he has immense talent.

Still only 23, it would be madness to sell him, uness of course he is demanding silly wages, something none of us are privvy to.

A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2017, 03:28:45 pm »
Complete chutney. Last quote I saw from Can on his position was that he wanted to play further forward.
Not a single quote in this article.

Here's some quotes from the player
http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/11/emre-can-relishing-new-midfield-role-happy-future-liverpool/

Any way its bollocks... contract discussions are about money

That sounds like him being polite, which he has always been. But this time last year he did a couple of interviews where he stated (in particular with the German national team) that he 'feels at home in the holding midfield position ( http://www.dfb.de/en/news/detail/emre-can-ill-give-everything-to-be-fit-in-time-for-the-euros-144265/ )

It's his best position, it's where he shows his best form for us and yes contract discussions can be about playing position/playing time. He's been a utility player since he broke through at Bayern I wouldn't be surprised that at 23 and coming into what could be his best years he's made it clear that he wants to play a more fixed role in the side going forward otherwise he won't stick around.

There's no logic in selling him. We wouldn't get the same level of quality for the fee we'd get or a player who's as settled into the club as he is, moreover if Henderson continues to have foot issues over the next few years then Emre will only grow in importance to the starting 11.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:33:21 pm by Chalky Boots »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2017, 03:34:25 pm »
He's a 6, I'm pretty sure he's said it himself and his best games against Villarreal and City - where he looked genuinely elite - came playing at the base. He said this time last year that he felt at home in that role.

He can play as an 8 in the same way Javi Martinez or a Khedira can play as an 8, but they're better as a 6 or in Javi's case (since his injuries) a CB.

Comparing Javi Martinez to Can is ridiculous. In terms of running power and shot power Martinez is light years behind Can and therefore brings far less further forward than Can does. I also think Can's got more creativity in him but doesn't show it as often as he could.

Can we stop pretending our footballers can only play one position? We've got a manger with a proven track record of using talented, versatile footballers in multiple positions to a pretty good level of success. Can's long-term position probably is as 'the 6' simply because he lacks agility to play as an 8 - but he's had plenty of good games there this season and from a destructive point of view offers us plenty there in certain games such as the derby only the other week.

The biggest correlation between him playing poorly or well isn't his position, it's his fitness. Keep him lean and injury free and we've a real player on our hands.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:38:24 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2017, 03:36:21 pm »
We'd be made to let Can go, especially as Henderson seems unable to shake off his injury. I actually find Emre to be a better DM than Hendo, but Jordan can do a bit more going forward. Regardless, we only really challenged in one competition this season and still had squad depth issues. We cannot afford to lose someone like Can.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2017, 03:48:55 pm »
Comparing Javi Martinez to Can is ridiculous. In terms of running power and shot power Martinez is light years behind Can and therefore brings far less further forward than Can does. I also think Can's got more creativity in him but doesn't show it as often as he could.

Can we stop pretending our footballers can only play one position? We've got a manger with a proven track record of using talented, versatile footballers in multiple positions to a pretty good level of success. Can's long-term position probably is as 'the 6' simply because he lacks agility to play as an 8 - but he's had plenty of good games there this season and from a destructive point of view offers us plenty there in certain games such as the derby only the other week.

The biggest correlation between him playing poorly or badly isn't his position, it's his fitness. Keep him lean and injury free and we've a real player on our hands.

Javi Martinez of 2017 is, yes but it wasn't when he was at Bilbao and under Huynkes hence why I said it's why he's a CB now.

And agility is one of the cornerstones of being a good number 8, if you can't turn under pressure with your back to goal then you're not a number 8. The idea that he can be like Yaya is fanciful because he doesn't have the technical ability either.

I agree flexibility is important, and Emre is flexible as a footballer but the whole point of that flexibility is that it's usually for one off games. Players need a degree of stability otherwise they'll never get comfortable enough to play themselves into form. We were about as flexible as anyone under Brendan but it gradually became an issue when it came to the cohesion of the unit (heck even Jurgen gave a jab at Brendan over Sahin for not playing him in his best position).

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2017, 03:54:55 pm »
Comparing Javi Martinez to Can is ridiculous. In terms of running power and shot power Martinez is light years behind Can

Sounds like Fifa 17 rhetoric.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2017, 04:03:54 pm »
And agility is one of the cornerstones of being a good number 8, if you can't turn under pressure with your back to goal then you're not a number 8. The idea that he can be like Yaya is fanciful because he doesn't have the technical ability either.

I agree flexibility is important, and Emre is flexible as a footballer but the whole point of that flexibility is that it's usually for one off games. Players need a degree of stability otherwise they'll never get comfortable enough to play themselves into form. We were about as flexible as anyone under Brendan but it gradually became an issue when it came to the cohesion of the unit (heck even Jurgen gave a jab at Brendan over Sahin for not playing him in his best position).

I agree he'll probably never reach Yaya Toure's heights in terms of goalscoring, but at 23 Yaya was in the Greek league and nobody would have predicted he would ever be a double figures goalscorer (let alone a one-time 20 goals man!). I definitely think Can can play there - I still don't think there's this huge chasm, if one at all, between him and Wijnaldum in that role which people make out.

I agree with your last paragraph in fairness, think that's a well made point, but equally I don't think Klopp moves players around as much as Brendan did. He does try to play them into a run of form but obviously injuries and in particular a lack of squad depth can change that.

Personally I'm just bored of hearing 'Firmino can only play as a 9', 'Can can only play as a 6' etc when it's patently not true. Firmino had his best game in a Liverpool shirt on Sunday off the right and Can's had several good games as an 8.

Also I'm not sure either of those players for example are of the required quality or consistency (yet) to build a team around in one fixed position, and moreover I think they genuinely are very versatile footballers, as are Milner and Lallana.

Sounds like Fifa 17 rhetoric.

Does it? That's cool.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2017, 05:41:32 pm »
Jesse Lingard just signed a 100k a week deal. Sadly, it's going to become the norm for any half decent player in the Premier League in the next few years. I'd like for us to keep him especially since he's shown us what he's been capable of in the last few games (injury free). We need to tie him down for his best years.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2017, 09:17:30 pm »
Can he play in Central Defense this Sunday against C Palace?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2017, 11:05:49 pm »
I could see this being more about games and his role. All parties have said money isn't the issue. And I'm not surprised, Klopp would rather keep him and run the risk of him running his contract down and not re-signing. Most German clubs do it all the time. Better to have a quality player for a year than be scrambling for a replacement.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2017, 11:32:12 pm »
Can he play in Central Defense this Sunday against C Palace?

he could, but he's needed in midfield!

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2017, 01:32:50 am »
It seems some people are so hypocritical in this thread. They want FSG to splash the cash but don't want them paying good players good money. I personally don't mind if FSG don't make a profit and as long as the money isn't being stupidly spent, then why not get FSG to cough up the dough? I'ts not like Can wants 200k when FSG are offering 80k. He wants something like 100k or even under that. The gap isn't that large.

Can is loved by Klopp and these days we don't need a starting 11 we need a quality core squad of 16~17 top players who are all starting 11 quality and are rotated during the season depending on the match day tactics/strategy or fatigue factor. People arguing he doesn't get in the starting 11 above Henderson or Lallana aren't understanding that the concept of the first 11 doesn't really work anymore in a 70 game season (with internationals and cups and so on). We need to rotate to keep players fresh and also different pieces are needed to allow tactical flexibility for the manager.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2017, 02:16:40 am »
It seems some people are so hypocritical in this thread. They want FSG to splash the cash but don't want them paying good players good money. I personally don't mind if FSG don't make a profit and as long as the money isn't being stupidly spent, then why not get FSG to cough up the dough? I'ts not like Can wants 200k when FSG are offering 80k. He wants something like 100k or even under that. The gap isn't that large.

Can is loved by Klopp and these days we don't need a starting 11 we need a quality core squad of 16~17 top players who are all starting 11 quality and are rotated during the season depending on the match day tactics/strategy or fatigue factor. People arguing he doesn't get in the starting 11 above Henderson or Lallana aren't understanding that the concept of the first 11 doesn't really work anymore in a 70 game season (with internationals and cups and so on). We need to rotate to keep players fresh and also different pieces are needed to allow tactical flexibility for the manager.
Absolutely. A new player of his caliber would cost us at least 20M, which in itself is 100 k/w on a four year contract. It's terribly expensive with player turnover.

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2017, 02:53:09 am »
Was a massive fan of Can's up until this season probably one of his bigger advocates. This season I've been whinging constantly at him being slow and cumbersome and holding up the ball yadda yadda. At the TV mind, not in public.

Please Emre, keep making me eat my words you absolute beauty. Really turned up in Hendo's absence.

We should definitely keep him £100k or no. The money in the game is nuts now, and he'll be hitting his prime over the course of his next contract, that's what he'd be able to command in the next couple of years, or thereabouts at a club of our size.

Even if we buy a CM of Keita profile and Can's not in the first XI, we will need him again.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2017, 02:57:52 am »
It's crazy the criticism Can received earlier this season, and it's similarly insane to consider letting him go. How many midfielders of his physique have the sort of technique that he has? Klopp has shown at Dortmund that he's willing to sacrifice technical ability for workrate and height, and here, we have a young midfielder who combines all of these aspects and we're considering letting him go? Insane.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2017, 11:39:15 am »
If he does go, then I hope it's early to give us enough time to replace him.

If he does stay then I think we will see him have a fantastic season next year, I think he will thrive in the CL.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2017, 11:44:59 am »
Want him to stay.

Have been frustrated with him at times this season but hearing it was possibly down to carrying an injury has softened my criticism. Also he has been great recently and has had great purple patches in the past. It would be a bit silly to spend all this time developing him and then lose him to Juve/Bayern etc. With Henderson not always fit, Can is vital to keep around IMO. He's only going to improve.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2017, 11:52:09 am »
He's been brilliant in the last month or so. Especially in the derby for me ;D. Defo one to keep and with Henderson struggling to stay fit the last two seasons he could keep him out of that deep mid role.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2017, 01:40:06 pm »
Some wag needs to put together some words to the tune of I Feel for You by Chaka Khan - that would be a more useful use of this thread than speculating over will he/won't he, is he/isn't he type nonsense. Emre needs a song - go forth and create!

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2017, 09:53:42 pm »
We'd be made to let Can go, especially as Henderson seems unable to shake off his injury. I actually find Emre to be a better DM than Hendo, but Jordan can do a bit more going forward. Regardless, we only really challenged in one competition this season and still had squad depth issues. We cannot afford to lose someone like Can.

I agree, specifically with regard to decision-making and tempo. Emre does take longer to circulate the ball, which affects the fluency of our buildup and our ability to exploit gaps as we move the opponent's defensive structure around.

But I think he has improved in recent games and upped the tempo of his play. Young, talented, physically imposing and the embodiment of fighting spirit... we absolutely cannot afford to let him go when Jordan is unlikely to play twice a week next season.
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2017, 06:20:00 pm »
Good four-part interview with him on the official today.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2017, 08:00:34 pm »
Good four-part interview with him on the official today.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

I read that earlier on he came over really well on it, well worth a read.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2017, 06:49:07 pm »
They say the best players know what they are going to do with the ball before they even get it.

Emre doesn't seem to know what he wants to do with the ball after six or seven touches, he actually seems to get more confused the longer he is on the ball.

Never want to see him playing as the LCM or RCM ever again.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2017, 06:50:03 pm »
Didn't have a good game today, but did anyone bar Coutinho?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2017, 07:00:49 pm »
Didn't have a good game today, but did anyone bar Coutinho?
Nope but the usual whipping boys must bear the brunt of it.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2017, 07:05:11 pm »
Yes, Can totally lost Benteke for the 2nd, but we shouldn't be in a position of defending a corner, if Lovren hadn't panicked with the ball, then panicked again with that appalling attempt of a tackle, so I'm not going to slam him for it. He's a good young player, and he knows he fucked up there, and he has huge potential to improve. Lovren is what he is. An average defender with little or no footballing brain. And he won't learn.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #186 on: April 23, 2017, 07:19:23 pm »
It's abundantly clear he's not an 8. We look labored in possession, there's no zip, quick 1-2s, clever flicks; everything is slow, people need ages to turn on the ball.

He can be very useful when we're grinding out wins especially away from home but you can't do that unless your CBs are really, really good. For the long-term he needs to compete for no.6 spot, if we want to play 433 we need our attacking midfielders to have real agility.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2017, 07:57:44 pm »
Not his greatest game, but to be fair to the lad he was the strongest of our MF trio today.

At least he took a risk or two which unfortunately didnt come off, but still kept on trying.

He may have forced the play a little too much, but you know what I like his attitude.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2017, 08:06:18 pm »
Poor game today topped by a shot that I watch 4-5yr old hit the target with. Day to forget, I think he has done enough lately to hopefully be a squad player next season..

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2017, 09:35:10 pm »
Yes, Can totally lost Benteke for the 2nd, but we shouldn't be in a position of defending a corner, if Lovren hadn't panicked with the ball, then panicked again with that appalling attempt of a tackle, so I'm not going to slam him for it. He's a good young player, and he knows he fucked up there, and he has huge potential to improve. Lovren is what he is. An average defender with little or no footballing brain. And he won't learn.

We are going to be every game. So your organisation and individuals knowing their job is the minimum.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #190 on: April 23, 2017, 09:44:04 pm »
We are going to be every game. So your organisation and individuals knowing their job is the minimum.

There should not be a corner 5 seconds after being in possession of the ball on the halfway line in a very straightforward situation, if you are doing your job properly and Lovren wasn't. Far, far from it.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2017, 01:03:26 pm »
Should we read much into Emre modelling the new kit

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2017, 01:04:46 pm »

What do you mean? Do you think we're planning to sell him or something?

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2017, 01:15:00 pm »
What do you mean? Do you think we're planning to sell him or something?

In this thread, there is speculation over his future, whether he will sign a contract, how much we are prepared to invest in him, etc.  If the club thought he was going to go this summer, would it choose him to present new kit?  The others in the shot - Hendo, Karius, Gini - will deffo be here next season

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »
In this thread, there is speculation over his future, whether he will sign a contract, how much we are prepared to invest in him, etc.  If the club thought he was going to go this summer, would it choose him to present new kit?  The others in the shot - Hendo, Karius, Gini - will deffo be here next season

If he's in the pictures, then he's most likely staying. I think some players, not just at Liverpool, have been in new kit photos before leaving in past seasons, but it doesn't seem to be very common.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2017, 01:19:04 pm »
If he's in the pictures, then he's most likely staying. I think some players, not just at Liverpool, have been in new kit photos before leaving in past seasons, but it doesn't seem to be very common.

Suarez was in the kit photos before he left. Flanagan was involved in some in-person kit launch wearing the new kit last season. Klopp has already said he won't sell him, if he can't agree a new contract, which doesn't surprise me as German clubs do that all the time.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2017, 01:28:33 pm »

yes that was my point

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2017, 01:29:15 pm »

A new bib theory?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2017, 04:56:31 pm »

Just that it's much less likely to look as good on us.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2017, 05:15:00 pm »
He has to find a position and make it his own.

IMO he simply doesn't have the creativity to play as a standard midfielder, getting up and down the pitch. He isn't much of a destroyer either the way Sissoko was who played that role without any creativity.

He could be a defensive midfielder though. Need to get him to stick to this position and stop shoe horning him around.