Author Topic: So, you're a Red, but why?  (Read 88800 times)

Offline Anything Will Do

• Legacy Fan
Re: So, you're a Red, but why?
« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2006, 03:38:39 pm »
Me dad made me!!!

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2006, 08:16:32 am »
I support them becuase the word liverpool shares several letters with my middle name
@johnbuckels

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2006, 09:36:31 am »
I'm from London and became a Liverpool fan in the 70's at the height of their glory years. Which was great. But being associated with all the glory wasn't my real motivation. As an impressionable 8 year old I wanted to deny some local from seeing his team. Nothing gave me more motivation than to see some of the local fans locked out of Anfield and denied the opportunity of following their side. It was great. When I got older I used to get a real thrill seeing the sold out signs at Anfield for matches, it meant that  some poor local couldn't get in, whilst I could. Mind, throughout the 90's when we were having a poor time of it, the sold out sign was only put up for the big games, it was seldom seen for a home game against poor relegation fodder, and definitely not if it were a mid week game, or even an early game in the champions league group stages. When I was at Anfield for the game against Monoco in 2004, which was at the start of the CL winning campaign, there were loads of empty seats, and I spent the whole game wondering where all the local supporters were that were always moaning that they couldn't get any tickets. It really puzzled me. All the time I have been to see the reds I have made sure I have got behind the side, and it always surprised me how some of the locals (that weren't denied tickets, and somehow manged to sneak in) always seem to moan and never get behind the team. Still, I call them local, but that is assuming there aren't any other teams more closer to where they were born or grew up than Liverpool. I know there are quite a few non league and amateur sides in Liverpool that could be supported as their "local" side, but I suspect that the real reason they support Liverpool, is that their glory hunters themselves. Just like me.

:wellin :wellin
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2006, 10:41:31 am »
I don't have any story giving a reason why I started supporting liverpool as a child or who inspired me to follow the reds.  However, I'd imagine it to be down to my eldest brother John who supported them and me following his example but I have no recollection of this. 

My other brother - the awkward middle child - was an Everton supporter until John threatened to beat him up if he didn't change to Liverpool.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2006, 11:19:50 am »
I support them becuase the word liverpool shares several letters with my middle name

yer middle name is POO ?

some parents have no imagination
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2006, 11:48:55 am »
yer middle name is POO ?

Actually it's Vlropoi.
@johnbuckels

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2006, 11:58:11 am »
Actually it's Vlropoi.

We'll call you El-Vlropoi and now your covered..;)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline GingerRed

• Legacy Fan
  • 'There's no Mancs in 'ere lads!'
« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2006, 12:20:34 pm »
I used to support Man United but when they sold my favourite player David Beckham, I thought that I would support Liverpool instead
Da Dang

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2006, 12:23:36 pm »
We'll call you El-Vlropoi and now your covered..;)

great spot mate
suggest he changes his name to that, very clever
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2006, 12:53:54 pm »
I used to support Man United but when they sold my favourite player David Beckham, I thought that I would support Liverpool instead

Same here, It was a sad, sad day the day they sold Diego Forlan, I could never forgive Fergie for that one.

I swear if Rafa ever has the audacity to sell Djimi, I'll be off to support Newcastle like a shot! ;)
Justice for the 96.

Offline liverpoolynwa

• Hammer Time
  • Legacy Fan
  • well you've won twice but, we've won it five times
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2006, 05:26:46 pm »
Used to live right by Liverpool St Station in London. I was very young, and thought we must be in the Liverpool section of London.

Seriously.

Had cousins on merseyside as well, so didn't feel TOO bad about it, as I went to visit once in a while... and then I really started following every game when Michael Owen missed a penalty against the Saints. We lost 2-0.
Me dad reckons he was in the Kop when it was recorded so says he's sang for Pink Floyd. ;)

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2006, 05:30:14 pm »
great spot mate
suggest he changes his name to that, very clever

I'll contact the deed poll people right now ;D
@johnbuckels

Offline davey1978

• Kemlynite
  • We had dreams and songs to sing.
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2006, 09:26:10 pm »
I'm from London and became a Liverpool fan in the 70's at the height of their glory years. Which was great. But being associated with all the glory wasn't my real motivation. As an impressionable 8 year old I wanted to deny some local from seeing his team. Nothing gave me more motivation than to see some of the local fans locked out of Anfield and denied the opportunity of following their side. It was great. When I got older I used to get a real thrill seeing the sold out signs at Anfield for matches, it meant that  some poor local couldn't get in, whilst I could. Mind, throughout the 90's when we were having a poor time of it, the sold out sign was only put up for the big games, it was seldom seen for a home game against poor relegation fodder, and definitely not if it were a mid week game, or even an early game in the champions league group stages. When I was at Anfield for the game against Monoco in 2004, which was at the start of the CL winning campaign, there were loads of empty seats, and I spent the whole game wondering where all the local supporters were that were always moaning that they couldn't get any tickets. It really puzzled me. All the time I have been to see the reds I have made sure I have got behind the side, and it always surprised me how some of the locals (that weren't denied tickets, and somehow manged to sneak in) always seem to moan and never get behind the team. Still, I call them local, but that is assuming there aren't any other teams more closer to where they were born or grew up than Liverpool. I know there are quite a few non league and amateur sides in Liverpool that could be supported as their "local" side, but I suspect that the real reason they support Liverpool, is that their glory hunters themselves. Just like me.

Yer..the other "local side" are Everton, soft shite.  There is always Crosby or Bootle but alot of people would not see this as a true Liverpool side.  You see, you can slag the city without knowing the geography, background and the fundamental religious issues all you want.  One thing Liverpool have in common (if anythin thank god) with Man Utd is that the "local people" are priced-out and denied by the likes of you.  Think about what you said.  How many games have you been too?
Have you considered the 750.000 supporters who gathered the streets in celebration of the European cup?

The full house that attended the tns game?

The vast size of the Kop before any major success?

You see lad - its c*nts like you that jumped onto the season ticket list when you Bastards in London let our city rot and die during the eighties.  It may be tongue in cheek the way you speak but mine is down to a deep bitterness and an increasing disliking to anything that stands in the stands with a southern or woolly back accent - when i think of how a club like Liverpool was created and nurtured by the "local scouse people".

I welcome all the Irish and Welsh lads cos they've fuck all to cheer anyway. 

Yes, i am bitter.  But its people like you that cause it, lad.
We had dreams and songs to sing.

Offline stillers77

• Main Stander
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2006, 09:39:48 pm »
Dads Influence

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2006, 09:51:46 pm »
Yer..the other "local side" are Everton, soft shite.  There is always Crosby or Bootle but alot of people would not see this as a true Liverpool side.  You see, you can slag the city without knowing the geography, background and the fundamental religious issues all you want.  One thing Liverpool have in common (if anythin thank god) with Man Utd is that the "local people" are priced-out and denied by the likes of you.  Think about what you said.  How many games have you been too?
Have you considered the 750.000 supporters who gathered the streets in celebration of the European cup?

You see lad - its c*nts like you that jumped onto the season ticket list when you Bastards in London let our city rot and die during the eighties.  It may be tongue in cheek the way you speak but mine is down to a deep bitterness and an increasing disliking to anything that stands in the stands with a southern or woolly back accent - when i think of how a club like Liverpool was created and nurtured by the "local scouse people".

Really? Where were all the local fans for the Monoco game then? Surely they would have been chomping at the bit to go and see the reds, afetr being denied by us Londoners for so long?
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...

Offline Codney

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2006, 09:53:55 pm »
Moved to Liverpool in the mid/late 90s from Germany. Having not followed the Prem much when I lived there, nor football at club level in general (though have supported the German national team since the 70's), Liverpool got me hooked because of Babbel, Ziege and most notably Hamann.

First match I went to at Anfield was v FC Haka in August, 2001 and been to many CL home & away games and a handful of Prem ones since.

Offline claRED

• Kopite
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2006, 10:03:31 pm »
Just am...mum's side - but never had anyone to take me when I was young as my grandad who was the fanatic wasn't alive by the time I came along.

my most vivid early memories of the games themselves is aged 9 watching Alan Kennedy's late surging winner in the '81 final... Brucie's wobbly legs...and crying on the living room floor as Michael Thomas scored for Arsenal in '89..

but to go from that to being in Istanbul.... dreams  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:05:44 pm by red_is_the_colour »

Online Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2006, 10:03:50 pm »
Really? Where were all the local fans for the Monoco game then? Surely they would have been chomping at the bit to go and see the reds, afetr being denied by us Londoners for so long?
And us foreigners... (bows)

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2006, 10:08:05 pm »

There were no tickets available for that game, they had all been bought up by fancard-holding wools and OOT's just for the loyalty, hence the empty seats.

I tried to buy some and got told that half the Anny Road had been block-booked by a supporters club from Norway.

Sickening, it really is.
Legacy fan

Offline jman316

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2006, 10:15:50 pm »
yer middle name is POO ?

:lmao :lmao :wellin

Offline wadeywestderby1983

• Kopite
  • Czech Beer Monster
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2006, 10:25:33 pm »

This is a post my brother made a few months ago in a wool debate, I quote this because I think it sums up our thinking.

"Ask the so called wooly c*nts who spend thousands & thousands of hard earned cash following liverpool football club all over the world"

I wouldnt mind having the thousands & thousands of hard earned cash to spend following Liverpool.

EDIT: You wouldnt catch me in the Curva Nord telling an Inter ultra that im a more worthier supporter than him  ;) because I came over from Liverpool and paid a couple of hundred quid to see a game, (cheap ryanair flights,hotel,match tickets,shitload of shopping :o etc)

Think of the people in the past that used to follow the club all over the country and Europe (My old fella for example) who cant get to the games now because of family,work committments.

I get a bit pissed off at the way some "supporters" measure their loyalty to the club through the amount of money they spend getting to games etc. we spent a shitload going to Istanbul and the rest over the years but you dont see us claiming that we are martyrs or "better" fans for it.

Its a sad day for football with these modern supporters (alot that arent working class) who have the cash to wave about and expect us to respect them as "worthy" for their ability to do this. It just shows the effect of the emphasis on making money is having on a great traditional club like ours. Taking away from us the local, dad and son, mates sitting next to each other, the working class atmosphere of football in the past.

You cant measure your class as a supporter by the size of your wallet.

The Sweet Silver song lad was definately fishing, he sounds like the 5th Benitle under a pseudonym.

But there is no getting away from the fact this is how the majority of locals feel towards this new generation of OOTs coming to the game. We feel we are getting forced out of our own club because of increasing ticket difficulties. I tend to do okay for tickets but sometimes we have to share and comprmise with the family season ticket. Other local mates arent as lucky.

Also the bottom paragraph from Davey1978 is a theory that I and a lot of people I know subscribe to.

Bar Dvacet Jedno, Slavikova 21, Vinohrady

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2006, 10:25:53 pm »
There were no tickets available for that game, they had all been bought up by fancard-holding wools and OOT's just for the loyalty, hence the empty seats.

They went on general sale though.

Not that I want to get involved in the OOT debate, especially when I suspect the lad is on a fishing trip and is probably laughing his kecks off now :wanker
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2006, 10:27:57 pm »
They went on general sale though.

I must be mistaken then  ;)
Legacy fan

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2006, 10:28:16 pm »
The Sweet Silver song lad was definately fishing, he sounds like the 5th Benitle under a pseudonym.
Yawn. Very wrong, though I'm glad you think I could be that erudite.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2006, 10:32:22 pm »
I must be mistaken then  ;)

Fair play. Now ... how about giving me some help getting that hook out? :D
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2006, 10:41:05 pm »
This is a post my brother made a few months ago in a wool debate, I quote this because I think it sums up our thinking.

But there is no getting away from the fact this is how the majority of locals feel towards this new generation of OOTs coming to the game. We feel we are getting forced out of our own club because of increasing ticket difficulties. I tend to do okay for tickets but sometimes we have to share and comprmise with the family season ticket. Other local mates arent as lucky.

Also the bottom paragraph from Davey1978 is a theory that I and a lot of people I know subscribe to.

Nothing to do with cash mate. Everything to do with loyalty. I certainly class myself in that bracket. I didn't want this thread to be drawn into an out of town debate...but it really does get my goat when I see some local reds moaning about OOT's and not being able to get tickets because of them. If that were true, then every single game Liverpool play at home should be a sell out. Fact is, that this is most definately not the case. The trouble is these local supporters who apparently can't get tickets use, OOT as a convenient excuse for not going to the game. If you are desperate enough, you'll get a ticket.

The reality is that the club depends on the world wide appeal to become a bigger club. They actively go out of their way to covet support. Promotional tours, merchandising etc. In fact some people are criticizing Parry for not being more ruthless in this field rather like the Mancs. The problem is that the club now depends on the world wide support to generate the income that buys the Alonso's and keeps the Gerrard's. Without it, you wouldn't be able to watch them (provided you got a ticket that is). This is the price you pay. And that's the reason the club are looking for a bigger ground.

If you have a problem with us OOT, tough. I'm not apologizing for being one.
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...

Offline sarch

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2006, 10:41:11 pm »
was a fan of the premiership for a few years, always liked Gerrard, then over spring break (the march before Istanbul) me and a friend went to a game at Anfield and it was love ever since.

• Kopite
  • Czech Beer Monster
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2006, 10:43:06 pm »
And us foreigners... (bows)

Dont mind foreign Liverpool fans, Ive took many a Basque, Viking or Maltese fan under my wing after the match. Ive had some great nights out with lads/girls Ive just met in a pub after the game and have just recently spent a week in Malta, flights and beer only after meeting a Maltese red and his wife after the match.

But Cockney and wooly accents at a Liverpool game, especially a big final when half my mates/family cant get tickets make my blood boil.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2006, 10:47:35 pm »
Dont mind foreign Liverpool fans, Ive took many a Basque, Viking or Maltese fan under my wing after the match. Ive had some great nights out with lads/girls Ive just met in a pub after the game and have just recently spent a week in Malta, flights and beer only after meeting a Maltese red and his wife after the match.

But Cockney and wooly accents at a Liverpool game, especially a big final when half my mates/family cant get tickets make my blood boil.

Really didn't want to get involved in this but are you honestly saying that its a problem when Londoners/Wools take seats but not when foreigners do? Just doesn't make any sense, thats fucking warped. Anyways, am off to bed. Play nicely.

Offline Lenman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2006, 10:48:38 pm »
Dad inspired me with tales of Dalglish and Barnes, only then to be brought up on the likes of Bruno Cheyrou  ;D But how things have changed with the addition of number 5 e.t.c. The one incident that made me a red and I knew I would be for the rest of my life, was when Gary Mc scored 'that' free-kick against the blueshite to make it 3-2. I jumped up and shouted "Get in" or words to that effect right in my dirty bluenose Mother's face, and she slapped me  ;D The only time I've ever seen her intentionally hurt anyone and its all thanks to L.F.C :thumbup
As he lay on the battle field dying (dying dying)
These were the last words he said...
Oh...I am a Liverpudlian !!!

• Kopite
  • Czech Beer Monster
« Reply #230 on: July 31, 2006, 10:58:23 pm »

Like I said a lot of us subscribe to this theory(although it wasnt put that eloquently). This is the main cause of our bitterness against cockneys anyway, without them coming here to go the game as well. A bigger stadium will definately ease some issues but the bottom line is a decent percentage of people from Liverpool do harbour a grudge towards London. Maybe warped but thats the way it is. It wont change anything though, the dad and lad era is well gone with the locals replaced by some wool with a dodgy accent, a big fuck off bag full of gear and a lack of knowledge about the club and what it stands for.

Offline Floundy

• Anny Roader
  • BollockyBoo
« Reply #231 on: July 31, 2006, 11:24:39 pm »

Sorry mate don't agree with that at all - I was born in Liverpool, brought up on stories of the great teams of the past by my Dad who lived on Granton road for most of his life and was a dyed in the wool red (if you'll excuse the use of the term wool there) I moved away when I was 5 and now 20 years on have no trace of a scouse accent.  However, I do know the history of my club and whilst I am no Alan Hansen I would like to think I have a fair knowledge of my club and the game as well.  If you can't see past people with a scouse accent at the match then it's a bit poor - yes it's a given that there are going to be sad case glory hunters that are attached to our club, and yes I do find these knobheads frustrating - especially when at the match spouting shite at the top of their voice in what is probably your local.  But for every one of those you will also get some "wool" who will pay through the nose to go to every home and away match he can, and when they get their big game and cup final tickets they deserve to be there because they have backed their team 110% throughout the entire season.

Anyway this wasn't a Wool vs Scouse debate anyway - this thread was how did you become a Red.  I was born a Red, my Dad had a huge passion for his local team and was damn sure none of his kids would ever turn to the blueshite - there was no choice for me and I thank God and more importantly my Dad for making me a follower of quite simply the best football club in the world. 

Those who are not fortunate enough to be sons and daughters of the best city in the the world can make ammends by choosing to support Liverpool - and whilst this may be sneered at and frowned upon by some, I welcome them on the proviso that they understand it's a not a choice to be made lightly and not one you can go back on when times get tough.  Liverpool Football Club is like a relgion and Anfield is our church - we are the most successful team this country has ever produced and we have the most passionate fans as well - providing these people understand and buy in to this as far as I am concerned they are more than welcome.
I am JD, and that's the end of that chapter...........

Offline theboyspen

• Winner of 2009's "First to give up on the Premier League" prize, 10.58pm, Sunday 2nd August 2009
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He made the people happy."
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2006, 11:35:55 pm »
Me dad was an "armchair supporter" who didn't mind if Liverpool or Everton won...."As long as the cup comes back to Merseyside!" he'd say.  ::)
Me brother was different.
He hated the Blue Shite.It was him who took me to my first game,in the 60's when "they" were the superior force in the city.   ???
So I'm no Bandwaggon jumpin' glory hunter!
I was there in the late 70's,80's (and the slump in the 90's) through to today, fully paid up season ticket holder!
Why? Cos of me brother,me Mam (who bought me my 1st kit) and me sisters all rooting for Liverpool F.C. Not me "fence-sitting" dad (who,by the way,was a product of the working class ethic of the era when football was a working class game at an affordable price - lots of men used to frequent both grounds and regard themselves as supporters of both teams!)
Anyway, I could have chose to refuse the red kit me Mam bought me and go to watch the other lot instead.........Am I glad I chose not to!!  ;D

I've got NO problem  with OOTs (even though my best Scouse mates struggle for tickets sometimes) as some of the best LFC supporters I know are from London.
"The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards."
"Red is my colour. I'll play for Liverpool as long as they will have me. I don't want to play for anybody else and when I pull off the red shirt for the last time I expect I will finish with football, at any rate as a player."McKinlay 1923

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #233 on: August 1, 2006, 12:01:45 am »

What a load of Bollocks ::)

Want to know why the prices of tickets are so high? well, it certainly isnt down to fans with more money from elsewhere, much of it is down to £100,000 a week contracts and the like. Also bear in mind that the cost is much the same [and if anything, higher] in many of the grounds of the top sides in England and without this money brought in from those from outside the city willing to pay those prices and buy the shirts and mechandise that we would not be able to compete for the top players. Game has moved on. What do you want? people from outside the city to shell out their hard earned dosh on shirts and souvenirs yet tickets to live games being made available to local fans only? Sorry, it doesnt work like that anywhere, you cant have it both ways, LFC is a worldwide phenomenon and much of that is due in no small part to outside support which is much larger [maybe amongst some more lukewarm, but certainly not for most] than that in the city in terms of numbers. Live with it

Tickets are not easy for anyone to get, be they local or non local. But if you try hard enough and have cash to spare then they can be. But it's the same for whatever club you support which is part of the elite. I hate this fucking self obsession that seems to grip a few of our fans that leads them to hate anybody out of town, even if they are LFC supporters themselves, and blame them for absolutely every-fucking-thing...when it gets to the point of hating your own fellow supporters it is parochialism of the worst extreme, it's fucking shameful and gives an undesirable image of our supporter base >:(

And before anyone accuses me of 'glory hunting'...me mum's a Scouse LFC fan,though admittedly a choice between LFC and Dundee United [my dad's allegiance] was not a hard one for a 6 year old to make. Though I admit to keeping a paternal eye on the latter ;D

« Last Edit: August 1, 2006, 01:28:06 am by Rizla »

Offline diplomatique

• Anny Roader
« Reply #234 on: August 1, 2006, 12:23:46 am »
Those who are not fortunate enough to be sons and daughters of the best city in the the world can make ammends by choosing to support Liverpool - and whilst this may be sneered at and frowned upon by some, I welcome them on the proviso that they understand it's a not a choice to be made lightly and not one you can go back on when times get tough.  Liverpool Football Club is like a relgion and Anfield is our church - we are the most successful team this country has ever produced and we have the most passionate fans as well - providing these people understand and buy in to this as far as I am concerned they are more than welcome.

I'm not going to pretend that I speak for all out of towners, but I wanted to thank you for that post. I never "chose" Liverpool . . . deep in my heart I know that I was always meant to be a Liverpool fan. I stumbled upon a game on television out here in the States and fell head over heels in love with these lads in Red. I had no idea who they were, how many trophies they'd won, the history of the club . . . I just knew that I had found my club. I was a 14 year-old American girl, and within minutes Liverpool became the only team in any sport I've ever suported in my life.

I've spent the last 6 and 1/2 years of my life getting up at 6, 7 or 8 in the morning to watch earlier kick-offs (or 1, 2 or 3 in the morning to catch Liverpool players in the 2002 World Cup), taking my lunch hour at school to catch later games (and mostly arriving late to back to class), saving up my precious little money to buy replica kits, e-season tickets, pay-per-view matches, and the like. My love for Liverpool is the same, whether I'm getting up at 6 am to watch a 0-0 draw with Sunderland whilst we're sitting in 7th place, or catching the Champions League Final at noon.

I didn't know the history of LFC when I fell in love with the club, but I've dedicated myself to learning as much as I can about this club's glorious (and not-so-glorious) past. I get up early every 15 April to commemorate the date in my own way (though I know I can never truly understand the pain and the scale of the disastre), I avoid anything owned by Rupert Mudoch, I love watching "classic" LFC matches on TV, I take pride in the 4 European cup wins that I wasn't blessed enough to bear witness to, the 18 League Wins, the 2 UEFA Cups (being lucky enough to witness the third) . . . but I know that I will love this club through the good and the bad, no matter what, because that's what being a true fan is about.

It is one of my most cherished dreams in life to watch a game at Anfield. I wrote a list of things that would make my life complete when I was fifteen, and next to being a wife, a mother, and studying abroad reads "see a game at Anfield". I've been saving up my meager funds for a couple years now, and sometimes it feels like it will take forever to stand in front of Shankly's Gates, but I know it will be all the more precious when I do.

Once again, I can't speak for all out of towners, but I do keep in mind that there are thousands upon thousands of fans that have supported this club longer than I have, that there are many fans that have more legitimate claims than a girl in a country whose "soccer" announcers use terms like PKs and offensive lines, and I don't think I can ever honestly consider myself a fan on the same terms as someone whose family has supported the team for 4 generations or the like, but I do love this club and try to be an honour to it and to my fellow fans.
Liverpool, as usual, not walking alone.~Announcer, Liverpool v. Bayer Leverusen, 9 March 2005

All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football. ~Albert Camus

On 15th April 1989, 96 Liverpool fans died watching their team - we haven't forgotten them.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #235 on: August 1, 2006, 12:26:07 am »

And before anyone accuses me of 'glory hunting'...

Noone could say that, i mean, you dont even go the match!

Thank fuck that pesky world cup is over tho so we can get back to this

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: August 1, 2006, 12:33:10 am »
Noone could say that, i mean, you dont even go the match!

Thank fuck that pesky world cup is over tho so we can get back to this

;)

Would do more often if I could afford it

'OOT in can't afford ticket shocker!'. Whoever would have thought it? ;D

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #237 on: August 1, 2006, 12:38:30 am »
;)

Would do more often if I could afford it

'OOT in can't afford ticket shocker!'. Whoever would have thought it? ;D

But i thought the streets in London where paved in gold?  Or is that Dick Whittington a liar ;)

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: August 1, 2006, 12:39:37 am »
But i thought the streets in London where paved in gold?  Or is that Dick Whittington a liar ;)

Nah, just concrete and broken dreams. And bits of chewing gum... :P

Offline GarryLFC

• Anny Roader
  • He came from Sunny Spain, to make us great again..
« Reply #239 on: August 1, 2006, 12:54:32 am »
Was looking forward to the end of the world cup and some good old traditional OOT debates
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mascherano......