Author Topic: St Johns Market closed down by Council  (Read 279 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
St Johns Market closed down by Council
« on: March 11, 2024, 12:07:00 pm »
Council owed £1.7m in unpaid rent and service charges since 2020. So they have terminated the tenancy of all 44 stall owners and shut the market down completely.

https://liverpoolexpress.co.uk/statement-st-johns-market-has-closed/

There is one stall that had continued to pay their rates in full throughout who has also been kicked out.

Obviously the way the council handled the rebuild of the old market was handled very poorly but if you sign a contract to run a stall from their and then not pay your rent and service charges then there really is no sympathy when they shut up shop.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: St Johns Market closed down by Council
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 12:47:41 pm »
At least the one tenant who was paying will be offered an alternative location. And that statement points out that arrears accrued between 2017 and 2020 were written off.

Talk about taking the piss when the whole city is struggling.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 01:04:26 pm »
All seems to have been caused by a botched refurbishment back in 2016, on Anderson's watch (of course). Looks like rent was suspended for a few years (as an apology?) but when it was reintroduced the stall holders haven't paid. They seem to say the refurb wrecked their businesses.

What a mess.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 01:05:06 pm »
The council made a right mess of it. They should never have made any changes in the first place.