Author Topic: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)  (Read 4520 times)


  • The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 6,784
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« on: December 21, 2004, 04:36:43 pm »
When I first decided to write the Story “The Roaring Twenties” I was of a mind to write it in the style to which people have become accustomed.
However, having read all the articles, I think everyone would be best served by me writing in the style of the day.  These include many curious phrases, which if removed would detract from the piece, in my opinion.
You will also, in the course of the whole piece come across many unusual names, some for the fans, some for ground areas.
I.e. Boys from the Bullens Lane End (in fact Liverpudlians)
Stanley Park End, now affectionately known as “The Anny”
Walton Breck Bank, original name of the Kop.
Markings ; now called touchlines
Goaling ; To Score
Punting ; better described now as an almighty HOOF !
Folk heroes : Little Tommy Tucker Tembey (was he the real Scouser Tommy ?)
The basis of every story is taken from the Football Echo of the time.
When this story is complete, I truly hope it will be the most comprehensive story of Liverpool Football Club in the twenties, available on the net.

1920  Everton vs Liverpool

Scott, Longworth, McKinlay, Lacey, W Wadsworth, Bromilow, Sheldon, Forshaw, Johnson, Chambers and H Wadsworth.

Lucas was a doubtful starter for today’s game as announced in the early additions of the “Echo”.
It appears that he got some nasty knocks and therefore Longworth had to be in readiness in case the little man had to drop out of the side.
Goodison Park looked a study.
The gate was probably the best ever seen.
Although it is difficult to estimate, the crowd looked like it had exceeded 50,000 and the receipts are almost certain to have touched £4000
It was a fine day and a fine crowd and at 2.45 the only space unoccupied was at the very ends of the various stands.
The band of the Heswell Nautical School played a selection of tunes prior to the start.
At the Bullen’s Road corner, the crowd was so dense that it swayed dangerously and a break through to other areas looked a distinct possibility.
Extra police were drafted in to this corner and the entrances to this part of the ground were closed.

An official of the club told the Echo reporter that this was the biggest crowd he had ever seen on the ground.
When the teams appeared it was noticed that Longworth had returned to captain the Liverpool side in the absence of Lucas.
Down’s won the toss and set Liverpool the task of facing the sun, but there wasn’t much to be gained as the sun’s power was very slight.
Liverpool made the first attack and Forshaw was kept out when nearing the Everton goal area by a fine tackle from Brewster.
Downs had to reply to another good effort from the Liverpool forwards, when Chambers broke forward from a neat through ball by Bromilow.
Evertons first break ended with Reid’s cross hitting a poor fellow on the back row of the terraces after a clever move which had seen him pass both Lacey and Longworth.

Peacock had the first clear shot at goal and it came from a throw in which W Wadsworth failed to check, but the shot went over the crossbar and once again hit the unlucky fan on the back row.
At the right hand side of the Rice Lane terraces the swaying of the crowd was so severe that to relieve the pressure, a large number of fans were allowed inside the barrier.
So far the play had been keen, good and fast, but as yet neither side really settled down to a rhythm.
The best moment came in the next minute when a nice solo run by Johnson enabled him to put Chambers into possession at a favourable moment and the inside man drove in a terrific shot that struck the outside netting.
Chedgzoy was applauded by both sets of fans for some capital play although McKinlay was alert enough to utilise the effort.
Sheldon came into the picture at this moment and his pass to the left was with a good idea, although it brought nothing tangible.

Liverpool pressed hard and the forcefulness and weight of Chambers had it’s effect, when he made an opening for himself in spite of him being surrounded by three opponents.
He was loudly applauded by all sections of the ground for this fine effort on the Everton goal and before the ball was finally cleared, Fern gave another corner.
Forshaw rose magnificently and headed toward goal and Bromilow finished up the move by toe-ending the ball outside the left hand post.
There was no denying the fact that Liverpool were playing excellently and their continued pressure on the Everton goal was only the natural result of their fine preliminary work.
Sheldon forced a corner off McDonald and Bromilow dropped a ball dangerously near the Everton goal line.
Downs got the better of a duel with Chambers and brought off a capital clearance just after Peacock had been held up by McKinlay.
The pace of the game increased as did the noise on the terraces and during the first quarter hour the game must have been a record for fastness.

When Johnson scored for Liverpool at the end of fifteen minutes, the Anfielders only got what they were entitled to on the run of the play.
It was a most remarkable goal and the manner of scoring not in the least stereotyped.
Chambers made a miss-pass, Johnson got possession a couple of yards from the Everton goal line.
It was anything but a scoring position and Johnson appeared to reduce his chances of getting the ball in the net when attempting to beat McDonald.
The Liverpool centre forward however, from what apparently seemed like an impossible position, tapped the ball forward and sent it past Fern in a very clever fashion.
The amazing feature of Johnson’s goal was that he had had to leave the field of play to make the goal possible.
Liverpool should have gone two up when Forshaw broke clear of the Everton defence minutes later, but a fine save by Fern was greeted by applause from all quarters of the ground.
Crossley went close for Everton minutes later after some fine work on the wing by Chedgzoy, who had made some delightful runs and well judged centres.
McKinlay was very clever in defence , and Longworth, although he did not display the same finesse, was just as sound.

A bad mistake by Longworth rather tarnished his early performance, for Peacock must have scored had he not been prevented from getting the ball when the Liverpool defence was well beaten.
Downs was not always true with his punting from goal kicks, and the ball several times skidded in a direction far from what was intended.
In attempting to head out a fine shot by H Wadsworth, Downs headed the ball over the cross bar, a risky proceeding, as with a little less elevation. the ball would have easily beaten Fern and would have been one of the finest headed goals in Derby history.
Downs was much more satisfactory a moment later, when he replied to a drive from W Wadsworth with a header in the right direction, which completely cleared the Liverpool attack.

Wave after wave of Liverpool attacks where then dealt with admiringly. If it wasn’t for a Stonewall attitude by the Everton rear guard Liverpool could well have put this game beyond reach.
On a rare Everton attack, the ball cannoned off McKinlay to Chedgzoy and the speedy winger, after eluding Longworth, drove in a beautiful shot which Scott handled in masterly style.
Scott also dealt with a volley from Brewster when he nonchalantly tipped the ball over the bar.

With the half time whistle approaching, Liverpool added to their so far, solitary goal and to be fair, it was thoroughly deserved on the balance of play.
Sheldon took the ball almost to the corner flag, while McDonald hesitated in his challenge. Sheldon centred clean and crisp, and Chambers rose magnificently to head the ball home into the corner of the net.
The goal was greeted with raucous applause from the Boys in the Bullens, but other parts of the ground remained silent. Such a shame as the goal was worthy of total adoration.

Half Time Score
Everton 0, Liverpool 2

The first item of interest in the second half was provided by a fine solo by Chedgzoy, which was finished off with a spiffing shot. Only to see Mr Scott clear it up field with a volley which amazed all assembled.
Shortly after which Downs sold Johnson an amazing “show room dummy” to end a Liverpool attack.
Sheldon had forced the first corner of the second half, but sadly he sent it behind the goal line before it came back into play.
From the next corner by Harrison the crowd were entertained by what can only be described as, an overhead bicycle kick by Crossley, but this was well saved by the agility of Scott.
Everton were having their best spell of the game, mainly through the cleverness of Harrison, but Scott was equal to any end product Everton could produce.
On one of their breaks McKinlay appeared to handle the ball while on the ground, but this went unnoticed by any of the officials.
At 10 minutes into the second half Liverpool scored their third goal.
It was a long raking shot by Chambers and the ball had a tremendous swerve on it, so much so that initially, Fern was heading in the wrong direction. As he appeared to have edged it away sadly he could only reach it with his finger tips and it into the corner of the net it flew at an astounding pace.
Two minutes later Chambers was denied his hat-trick, by a mind boggling offside decision by the line official.
Fleetwood was clearly half asleep when the Everton rear guard charged forward and sadly Chambers was denied what was a clear goal.

Liverpool’s cleverness and superiority were now very obvious.
They were permanently “camped” in the Everton half and one was wondering if they had considered setting up market stalls.
On a rare Everton attack a fine shot by Brewster was once again thwarted by the silky skills of Elisha Scott, when he pushed the blistering shot onto the post.

The game maintained it’s incredible pace throughout and was far more entertaining than both Liverpool and Everton’s previous fixtures put together.
There was more skill, incident and finish in today’s contest and Liverpool’s superiority was there for all to see.
Everton’s first home defeat of the season was indeed to worthy opponents.
A well known ex-player was heard to say that after that display by Chambers “he must get his cap” and we at the Liverpool Echo would heartedly agree.
He was magnificent in every area on the pitch.
Today there was not one solitary weakness in the Liverpool side and they were deserved Victors.
Scott had another magnificent performance and his save from Grenyer toward the end, once again proved he is the best between the sticks.
W Wadsworth gave a towering performance today and I can hardly remember a single instance when Reid had any reward for his efforts.
Lacey and Sheldon were magnificent on the Liverpool flank, both complimenting each others style of play.
Sheldon had the better of McDonald all game long and it was all to often that McDonald ended the move, by up ending the little tricky winger.
Although Chambers was rewarded with a brace today, Forshaw’s tireless efforts kept Fern’s hands warm all afternoon.

BEE’S Comments
The fastest and best Derby game I have ever seen.
The footwork, artistry, trickery and combination play was excellent.
The game was a credit to all the players who took part.
Here’s a hearty handshake to them all.
The Liverpool side was full of understanding and awareness and capable in all departments.
Lacey at Centre half last week, was very recognisable today he was brilliant.

Everton Old Boy’s View
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a faster game between the two sides and I have seen most of them.
I thought Liverpool’s dash and superior finish entitled them to the honours today, but surely their second goal came half a minute after the whistle ought to have gone for the interval.
Johnson’s goal was a wonderfully fine one and Chambers was a model of good judgement in the air, even with Downs in the Everton team.
Chedgzoy was Everton’s star performer, but even he would pay praise to Bromilow’s work.
Lacey dominated the middle of the park for the whole game and for this I would award him man of the match.

Casual Comment (by F.E.H)
Two weeks without a tedious railway journey serve to emphasise the great truth of the adage “there is no place like home”
The tremendous enthusiasm both on the park and on the terraces which these matches engender makes one understand something of the joy of life and the tiresomeness of travelling.
And now ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, for the harmless, necessary Jingle

Derby Day ; Derby Day
Once again the rivals play,
Blue on Red and Red on Blue
With a useful shot or two
And a cannon now and then
Just to waken up the men
Other sports may make for good
Stir our spirits and our blood
But our troubles to forget
None has ever been fashioned yet
Since the flood or since the fall
As that with the big leather ball

Editors Comment
Although there was a good humoured crowd today, there was an occasional rift in the lute of harmony when some mentally deficient person decided to introduce us to a student rattle.
Amidst all the racket being made by the said person, why his immediate neighbours didn’t incontinently throttle him is one of those things which as Dundreary would have said “No fellow could understand”
When Liverpool took to the field first and they received a welcome from almost two-thirds of the ground, the question was raised who in fact was at home.
It was widely suspected from those present, that the Anfield supporters had started to arrive earlier than usual thus ensuring a majority holding on the terraces.
A spokesman from the police said this would be monitored in future meetings to ensure the home side had sufficient space, thus avoiding any necessity for Everton fans to have to stand beyond the barriers.

1921  Liverpool vs Preston North End

Scott, Lucas, Longworth, McNab, W Wadsworth, Bromilow, Lacey, Forshaw, Beadles, Chambers and  Hopkin

Many things made the Mersey fixture today of unusual interest and drawing power.
Preston’s name carries much with it, but this season by common consent, the team is worthy of the name.
There is talent in every line, McCall, Jefferis and Roberts are household names in our city, while Rawlings has made a name and gained fame thus early and Hamilton, not known to us, had been well spoken of..
Liverpool had Chambers and Longworth back to the leading side. Chambers having recovered from injury and Longworth replacing the injured McKinlay.
McNab who played at right half for Checkland, is as big as the old X’s man is small.
McNab’s physique is tremendous. He has height, weight and determination, and never knows when he is beaten. In addition he has a very strong shot.
So Liverpool hoped their side would be good enough to win today, whereas they only drew at Deepdale.
Officials at the club declared that todays attendance was the best of the season so far, probably exceeding 38,000.
It’s worth note that this was mainly due to Liverpool being undefeated since the opening fixture of the season.
There was much fraternising between the players and Elisha Scott received a particular enthusiastic welcome from the home crowd.
There was some fine defence from the rival pivots, when Liverpool kicked off.
McCall pulling a centre from Lacey and Wadsworth being equally forward.
It was bad luck for Liverpool that when the game had been going but a few minutes Chambers pulled up lame.
For a time he was in much pain, but after a rest his obvious agony in his left knee muscles appeared to ease.
There was a tendency in the Preston defence to kick the ball far too forward to result in anything favourable and it was from one of these long clearances that Liverpool attacked on the left.
Hopkin received the ball in in own half, feigned a moved to the left and moved inside.
Duxbury had no option but to pull Hopkins shirt to stop him from advancing.
From the resulting free kick Lacey split the Enders defence and it was only a dash across field from Mercer that stopped Chambers from going through on goal.
His frantic punt anywhere saved the situation and settled nicely on the back row of the grandstand.
Bromilow saved Longworths skin a few times in his early encounters with Jefferis but if it wasn’t for Duxbury taking a divot a golfer would have been proud of on one attack, the home side could have gone one down.
It was obvious when Duxbury tried to stand up, that he too had damaged his left knee.
Play was fast and furious and to this point Liverpool were the more dangerous, although neither keeper had been seriously challenged.
Speed trials between Longworth and Jefferis and Longworth and Rawlings were worth watching.
As was the triangular passing between Hopkin, Forshaw and Beadles.
It was one of these moves that led to a cross from Hopkin which Beadles met with a deliberately placed header which went narrowly wide.
Forshaw and Duxbury took turns in handling the ball in the next two moves.
There then followed two very useful clearances by Longworth, Roberts being the sufferer.
Longworth was not so accurate next time and North End were now putting on pressure in no uncertain manner.
The first real sensible and solid shot of the day was made by Forshaw, who had an inspiration to make an instant left footed drive.
It was a bonny ball that had the keeper beaten, but it crossed out of the marking.
Play stopped shortly after through Jefferis being body charged by Chambers and pitching heavily on his right shoulder.
It was only a moment before, that the former Everton man had to skip over a lunging tackle to escape a trailing foot.
So he complained to the referee that he was having a rough passage.
A third time when Jefferis was tackled and this time with no ceremony by Wadsworth, the referee ignored his plea for more fairness.
From the resulting corner, Lacey controlled the ball on his chest and played a beautiful cross field pass to Bromilow, who went through solo on goal, only to see his shot go narrowly wide.
Quinn was the first to really test Scott, but Elisha defied the brilliance of the shot by not only saving it, but catching it.
Beadles brought a great save from Fox minutes later.
On the next break Hopkin then screwed a shot until it’s neck was dragged off, so much so in fact, that Lacey collected the ball on the opposite wing. But his cross was too deep for the advancing Forshaw.
It was a good chance that should have been utilised.
After another body check this time from Forshaw, Doolan was left horizontal and the referee had occasion to speak to him, but it was good to note that mainly the game was being played in a perfectly sporting spirit.
A break down the left saw Hopkin float a magnificent cross, only for Beadles and Forshaw to get in each others way. Forshaw let Beadles know in no uncertain terms, that the ball was his.
Jefferis had continued to be plagued by Bromliow and one tackle saw him retire to the line for a few minutes to recover.
In his absence Bromilow gave further evidence that this match was to be his best exhibition of the season so far.
One also had to admire McCall’s methods, whether the ball was in the air or on the ground, he seemed to keep his feet better than most players who were struggling on the slippery surface, after the latest shower.
Longworth and Lucas soon warmed to their work and Rawlings and company were hard pressed to make any impression on the game.
More of an impression was made by the plate sized divots that were being wrenched from the turf at every tackle. The groundsman would certainly have his work cut out for him at half time.
One was beginning to wonder if there would be any turf left by April on today’s show.
The latest yard long scar on the Anfield pitch resulted in a corner for Liverpool.
The North End team seemed at sixes and sevens when the cross came in, and when Wadsworth headed into what was believed to be an empty net, only the heroics of Duxbury clearing off the line, saved the break through.
Duxbury received his reward shortly before half time, when he was kicked in the chest by Lacey after a Lucas clearance.
But unlike Jefferis he did not need the services of an ambulance every tackle.

Half Time :- Liverpool 0 Preston 0

The first half had been capital and unduly long, the referee playing overtime after several injuries to both sides. Not surprisingly he was the last to appear for the second half.
Roberts made a fiery beginning to the second half and a nice combination move with McCall saw the latter following up with a well placed shot, which muddied Scott’s playing attire for the first time.
North End had indeed opened the second half in better trim and McNab had to head away a corner which he had conceded through the curiosity of the pitch.
Roberts was very near goaling on the next attack and the trouble was not going away for some time.
However Liverpool began to redeem themselves, and were encouraged by a swerving shot from Lacey.
It seems impossible to have a goal between these teams without a debate.
Then Chambers scored in a remarkable manner.
This is how the movement went.
W Wadsworth, dribbling well became a forward as he crossed the half way line.
He looked very disappointed that a pass he called for was not returned in the one-two manner we have become accustomed to.
However the left winger switched the play to the right wing, where Lacey hit the ball so hard that the goalkeeper Fox, appeared stunned.
Play went on and one wondered how long the referee would allow before he stopped play.
Doolan went into goal and actually saved a shot, having to jump over the body of the true keeper, who in his dazed condition stood up and looked about him in bewildered fashion.
Liverpool went on with the game and Chambers headed into the net, which was warmly debated by the Preston players but warmly welcomed by the home support.
While Liverpool lined up for the kick off, Preston players were still debating the decision with the referee, somewhat reminiscent of a Debating Society I used to frequent as a youth in college.
From this moment on, Preston seemed not to recover and a riot of goals followed.
The second in three minutes.
The third in seven minutes and the final goal of four only 12 minutes after the first.
Each goal was met by a gathering of the Debating Society, yet again.
Preston would have done better to concentrate on what we had come to watch ie football, instead they spent seven minutes in between goals debating every decision.
The 10 minutes after the first goal is best described thus.
Forshaw broke clear after a tackle on the half way line gave Liverpool possession once again. He skipped over the lunging tackle by McCall and fired low into the net.
Preston Debate Society : Discuss the imaginary foul on the half way line.
From the next kick off Chambers took the ball off Woodhouse and played it wide to Hopkin, after a marvellous dribbling class by Hopkin saw him enter the box, he was unceremoniously up-ended by Duxbury.
Lucas converted the penalty.
Preston Debate Society : Was Hopkin over theatrical when he crashed to earth from a height of four feet.
A nonchalant kick off minutes later saw Forshaw nip in and sweep the ball once again to the left.
Hopkin collected the ball, feigned right, swept left and crossed a magnificent cross that was headed home by Beadles.
As the latest debate was convened, Jefferis decided to call it a day and left the park.
Chambers who was obviously now struggling decided to join him in an early bath.
The balance of the game saw Doolan, Mercer and Quinn taking turns on up ending Lacey. But none of them, even combined could stop him having three great shots at goal.
Each time a tackle went in Lacey refused to stay down.
The first saw a bullet hit the post.
The second saw him hit the cross bar and the final shot was well saved by the semi conscious Fox.

The referee brought the Preston Debating Society and Liverpool’s Football prowess to a close minutes after the last save.

I am in no doubt that Jefferis took his ball home, when he couldn’t get his own way. He was very reminiscent of a child throwing his rattle out of his pram.
If Fox wants to continue his career as a goalkeeper, he should remember that, getting in the way of a Lacey bullet is not the wisest of moves.
Duxbury should consider moving his trade to that of a lumberjack, as he appears to enjoy felling everything in sight.
Quinn, Mercer and Dolan (the left hand gang) should remember, if they’re not good enough on their own, ambushing a skilful player like Lacey is not in the spirit of the game.
Hamilton, never have I seen a professional footballer touch the ball less than the referee over the whole ninety minutes. Suggest you join a real Debating Society.

Today’s game was a very physical game played in the best tradition of top flight football. Liverpool won the game through grit, determination and a refusal to go down. Preston would do very well to learn from this lesson conducted by the Anfielders.

1922  Liverpool vs Everton

“Amazing Derby Game led To Another Chapter In Fives”
“Bromilow’s Goal was one of Six”
“Chambers in Merry Mood, Turns Deficit into Colossal Victory”

“Derby Day” ! All roads lead to Anfield and a great game was in prospect.
It will be good news to all sports lovers to learn that four benefit matches have been granted to “Four of the best and Brightest” stars in the Liverpool camp.
Pool v Cardiff, October 21st, Bill Lacey’s benefit
Pool v Oldham, December 26th, Elisha Scott’s benefit
Pool v Middlesborough, January 27th, D McKinlay’s benefit
Pool v Sheffield United, March 30th, Ephraim Longworth’s benefit.
All games to be played at Anfield.
The authorities have given permission for collections to be taken on the streets before and after games. And it is worthy of special note, that all collections will be pooled by the players.  Thus they are united in football play and in benefit pay.
Boxes at the turnstiles will call to spectators at each of the four matches, and I am opening a subscription list in the columns of the Echo, as the quartet benefit is an uncommon one and I know many people will be anxious to show their appreciation in the usual way.
Also note, there is a junior Derby Day on Wednesday, when, at Anfield the two Liverpool teams will meet in deadly earnest.

Liverpool today ;
Scott, Longworth, McKinlay, McNab, Wadsworth, Bromilow, Lacey, Forshaw, Johnson, Chambers and Hopkin.

It was an admirable day for such a feastful game as Liverpool take on Everton at Anfield today.
The Anfielders have had some enormous attendances in their history, notably the West Ham Cup tie midweek, but today’s attendance can only be described as MASSIVE.
I would estimate the gate was worth at least £3500, a pretty sum in the times of depression.
The crowd was all agog with excitement, for they had much to discuss in view of Liverpool’s defeat last week at Burnley and Everton’s double win over Cardiff.
Johnson was back in for Shone and McKinlay was ready to resume normal service at the back.
Everton had remained unchanged from the team that had leapt to prominence in the last fortnight.
Referee Andrews had been awarded this match as he was recognised by all as a very strong referee.  Players knew that he would stand no-nonsense, not that we ever get much “nonsense” nowadays in our Derby games.
Our games were more noted for their Battle-type atmosphere where players made from granite plied their trade.
The day was  gloriously fine, but all assembled knew this was the calm before the storm.
The Anfield pitch was looking as good as it ever has before kick off, but I would think it would have as many scars as the players at full time.
As usual there was a big early raid on the Kemlyn Road stand, which offers so good and close a view as one can get anywhere in the country.
The buzz around the Spion Kop, was that Liverpool would be closing the gap in Derby History this game and the state of the market before kick off read ;
Liverpool 12 wins, Everton 20 wins with 12 draws.
The crowd had plenty to keep them interested before the battle commenced.
There were the boys who ignored the barbed wire to get in.
There was the Postal band playing a merry jingle and there was also the latest method adopted for removing young boys from the top to the bottom of the kop.
The assembled Dockers had formed their own umbrella method, by passing the lads over the top of heads, so the wee lads could reach their final destination by the wall at the front.
Liverpool won the toss, thus ensuring they attacked their beloved Kop in the second half and also left Fern to be blinded by the mid afternoon sun, which was dazzling today.
At once Everton broke forward with Chedgzoy racing down the wing, his cross however was well beyond McDonald and Fleetwood who were both on their backsides after slipping on the dewy surface, but neither had come to any serious harm.
Wadsworth revelled in his third game in eight days and his leading was particularly useful.
The sun was effecting both sides, but the extreme wingers dancing in the shadows, made merry while the sun shone.
Chedgzoy broke away again, a neat pass to Forbes saw the little Scottie back heel a corker to Harrison and in doing so left McNab dumbfounded, But Harrisons strike on goal was well saved by Scott.
For the first few minutes all the action was on this side as Hopkin was also having one of his better days on the left wing. He was putting in crosses of great accuracy at every opportunity.
The first was headed on top of the net by Johnson, the following one just wide by Chambers.  The third appeared to be punched backward by Johnson for Forshaw to hit the net, but the referee had spotted the dastardly deed.
Both goalkeepers in these early stages were very busy indeed.
Ferns was tested by Chambers and Forshaw within minutes, but from the break of the latter effort Fleetwood sent a long range pile driver heading toward Scott.
It was uncanny how Scott made great efforts look ordinary, one step to the left and the ball nestled in his grasp, no matter how fast it was approaching.
McNab was showing some pace when he thundered a shot at the Everton goal only for it to be blocked. When the ball bounced clear he had to chase Harrison the length of the park to stop him from having a shot at the other end.
Johnson broke through the centre, only for Everton to punt it immediately to Williams who gave McNab even more exercise, before he could catch his breath again.
The pace of this game was magnificent.
Some idea of the enthusiasm being shown, in all quarters of the pitch, saw Longworth dribbling in the centre of the field against Fleetwood.
Settle down Ephraim, you’ll get us all confused.
Next came a stunning drive from Irvine and then in two minutes the game took a deliberate turn.
Liverpool were right on the doorstep of success, thanks to a successful feint from Forshaw. He hammered the ball across to the middle and Johnson looked sure to score until Fern and he collided with a mighty crunch. McDonald walloped the ball clear over the stands into Mrs Molyneux’s back garden in Kemlyn road.
She would return the ball later, while complaining that it had scared one of her rabbits half to death. No stew tonight then.
From another thunderous boot up field minutes later, Williams broke clear and after a wonderful display of zig zag football, Williams poked it home from close range.
Forbes had a hand in the goal and to my mind, the goal first arose from a missed back pass by McKinlay. Secondly through Scott being charged out of position and possession of the ball.
The time of the first goal was 17 minutes, although it seemed like half an hour in all the excitement of the early stages.
The enthusiasm of the Everton folk in the Stanley Park End rose to fever pitch.
Liverpool on the other hand were startled at the unexpected turn of events.
Chambers was as wide in the manner that Chedgzoy was over the bar in the next two forays.
Considering the tackles that had been seen today, it was a minor miracle there had been no injuries so far, but within minutes, Raitt, Bromilow and Harrison all suffered battle wounds.
Tommy Fleetwood escaped all knocks and regularly ploughed through like a veritable youngster. But Peacock soon became the next casualty.
It was indeed a mans game.
Lacey was the next player to be flattened by a rough tackle by McDonald, but the referee decided this time it was serious enough to award a free kick.
McKinlay’s bullet hit McDonald squarely on the chest, which saw him take a breather on his backside, before the ball was cleared by Fleetwood.

Judged by the amusement on Fleetwood’s face when Lacey missed a perfect sitter minutes later, he was lucky to have survived his mistake.
This should have been the leveller, but to be quite candid, Liverpool had been drafting too ornate plans to break the Everton defence, instead of shooting when the opportunity arose.
Everyone enjoyed watching the wing combination in league with the half-back, but one wanted to know when there would be a definite ending to one of these runs.
Johnson was thinking about shooting when he was indulged in a pitch-and-toss affair.
He escaped injury yet it seemed that he was out of luck, as when Lacey took advantage of a slip by McDonald, the Irishman’s pass being too square for Johnson to gather.
Liverpool were in the ascendancy for the final stages of the first half and Bromilow had a beautiful drive swing just outside the post.
It was Bromilow’s birthday today and he wished for no finer present than a goal against the old foe.
Forshaw also came close in the later stages, but he too was thwarted.
Just before the whistle, the referee called a halt to play, to have a word with Hart and McNab. Manslaughter was forgivable, but these two were going at it like murderers.
Raitt also got a piece of the Referee’s mind, before he left the park for an earlier tackle on Hopkin.

Half time
Liverpool 0 Everton 1
Still twenty two on the park.
Not bad, considering events made the battle of Waterloo look timid.

At the beginning of the second half Raitt decided to trip Chambers to stop him advancing. The referee gave him what we assume was his final caution.
From the free kick Forshaw hit a sparkling left foot drive that went inches over.
Two minutes later, Raitt decided to test the referee’s mettle, when once again, he tripped Chambers as he went forward. I can only assume it was his apology to Chambers that saved him from being asked to leave the park.
As once again, the referee gave him his final, final warning.
From this Chambers scored in a curious way.
I will try and explain from start to finish.
Chambers takes his own free kick and passes to an offside Hopkin.
Hopkin was allowed to continue and smashed his cross into Raitt’s face which went for a corner.
Hopkins placed the corner and quickly crossed to the near post where Chambers was waiting.
Chambers flick on header hit’s the bar.
The ball comes off the bar, but in trying to catch it, Fern punched the ball into his own net.
In his joy at equalising, Chambers swung on to one of the uprights and hung on to it in a manner of a music hall horizontal bar performer.
After witnessing this, I would suggest footballers leave acts like that on the circus circuit.

The fans at both ends now were reaching fever pitch.
And then Raitt tested the patience of reds fans and the referee once again.
Another stiff talking to by the referee, but this time including a finger pointed at the changing rooms. We thought he had been given his marching orders, but apparently Referee Andrews, he who would stand “No-Nonsense” had actually issued his Final, final, final last warning.
Even I was curious now, what Raitt would do next.
Would assassinating the linesman do the trick ?
He obviously had plans to go out early tonight and needed an early bath.

Two Chambers headers both came close, before a third cross was back headed by Forshaw into the path of McNab.
He had all along been running ahead to make a sixth forward and now he found himself with a cross-grained shot and quite a good angle on goal.
He fired in a ferocious shot, that hit the back of the net before Ferns had moved an inch.
He celebrated his goal by leaping for joy and completing a Scottish Hornpipe.
Editors note : please don’t ask, I haven’t a clue.

Needless to say, Liverpool now played with a confidence that was quite foreign to them prior to the equalising goal had arrived.
The result was both McDonald and Raitt had a lot of work on their plates.
McDonald cut across Forshaw and saved a certain goal.
Raitt headed one off the line.
At this time the Liverpool defence started to take liberties, all saw themselves as attackers and often left McKinlay alone at the back.
On one of these occasions McKinlay passed back to Scott with such venom, it brought a magnificent save out of Elisha.
Scott was not amused by the accompanying wink and nod.

The next move was the move of the game.
Lacey played a ball up to Johnson, who headed to Chambers.
Chambers pushed the ball wide for the advancing Lacey.
Lacey controlled the ball and played it back into the path of Chambers.
“Smiler” Chambers thumped the ball home.
His grin was as big as a Cheshire cat.
Two minutes later “Smiler” was at it again this time he hit a ball with so much swerve, Fern was a yard away from where the ball crossed the line.
McNab received a late caution when he put Hart off the pitch.
Hart’s lightweight frame was no match for McNab when going full steam.
Bromilow and Hart both finished the game hobbling doe to their war wounds.
But pain was forgotten as the Birthday Boy Bromilow burst forward to score Liverpool’s fifth, when keeper Fern should really have caught the ball.

The crowd, following up on the suggestion in BEE’s Comments a fortnight ago, started the new chant of the Kop.

One Two, Three Four Five
One Two Three Four, FIVE-Nil
Although it seemed they had forgotten the earlier goal, hadn’t we all, it had seemed such a long time ago since Everton where taking part in this Derby.

Final Score : Liverpool 5 Everton 1

Comments of the day Included.
Progress to the ground today, if not exactly rapid, was fairly swift.
The old days of the four-wheelers are gone and we shall have penny tram fares soon.
As the ancients would say, “Speed the Plough”

And now for the harmless necessary jingle.
Thus it is :-

The champions and their neighbours came bounding on the ground,
They smiled like Smiler to see so many folks around,
“If all this wealth belonged to us”! - and then they simply frowned.

The player, once he’s started, knows the first half’s not the whole
He never looks behind him, but he knows that there’s a goal
And when he’s lost his bonus he cries, “god bless my Soul”

Though the money doesn’t matter, once the game is on the wing,
Yet the dropping of a quidlet leaves a nasty little sting,
And when he counts his wages, with the comforts that they bring,
He says “To hell with Hamlet, for the play is not the thing”

These are idle, halting verses, and their meaning may be vague
The reader may disdain them as a man abhors the plague
But the rambling, restless rhythm conveys a message true
That the better side should conquer, whether it be Red or Blue

Written by F.E.H in the football Echo

McKinlay’s back pass to Scott in the second half was probably the most powerful shot of the match, but I suppose you could forgive him after his earlier lightweight pass that led to Everton’s first goal.
The goal was greeted with mixed emotions and a combined mix of joy and resentment was said to be heard at the Pier Head.
Everton’s only glimmer of hope was supplied by the tireless efforts of the old war horse Fleetwood.

It would be impossible to write the story of “The Roaring Twenties” in one piece and I have therefore decided to split the beast into either a Trilogy or Quartette.

Part Two
1923 Liverpool Swamp Blackburn Rovers with Forshaw Hat-trick
1924 Forshaw Hat-trick sinks Sheffield United
1925 Manchester for Skill, Liverpool for Goals

Merry Christmas
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 07:11:50 am by WOOLTONIAN »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Bannside Red

  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,771
  • Proud to be Red
Re: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 04:52:17 pm »
Elisha Scott, one author once described him as having the eye of an eagle, the swift movement of a panther and the grip of a vice when clutching the ball.

What would he be worth in todays transfer market?

Great read Karl, keep them coming.

Offline Darren G

  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 3,546
Re: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 04:58:53 pm »
I've copied and pasted for a read later on.  Always entertaining.  Cheers.

Offline mobydick

  • Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 8,946
  • Thatcherite refugee
Re: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 05:00:06 pm »
Will have to print this one off, so I can read it in bed before lights out.

Offline Maggie May

  • A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 18,249
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 07:37:59 pm »
Another superb classic post mate.  Thank you so much.  :-* :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Chindits

  • It's important to me
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 3,262
  • L4 Scal-Qaeda Cyber Terrorist Cell
    • ccTwitter
Re: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 09:50:14 pm »
Fantastic wooly :)

Sent a copy to my granddad(Eric quick former morecambe FC player) he's told me to tell you that's a rare talent you have lad,you captured the mood and feelings of that era,a brought back some very happy memories for him.

So from me thanks and Merry Xmas.


  • The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 6,784
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
Re: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 10:20:33 am »
Sent a copy to my granddad(Eric quick former morecambe FC player)

Ask Grampa is he related to the famous Water Polo Goalkeeper : Les Quick
I had the pleasure of watching him play in my youth.
Liverpool was famous for great water polo players in the 60's amongst them
Brian Carroll
Harry Fogg
and my old fella Billy Brod (the Tattooed Jockey)
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century


  • The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 6,784
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
Re: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 03:14:14 pm »
bumped up to accompany part two which I am posting in five minutes.
too long to post as an addition.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Tarpaulin

  • Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 10,682
Re: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 03:58:24 pm »
A great read Karl [as per ;)]

Have you got a link to the 3 parter you did recently about yer dads dad, yer arl fella and you on derby memories?


  • The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 6,784
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
Re: The Roaring Twenties (part 1)
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 05:20:45 am »

Have you got a link to the 3 parter you did recently about yer dads dad, yer arl fella and you on derby memories?

if link no use, it's on the front page
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century