Author Topic: Emlyn Hughes 1947-2004: Shine on you Crazy diamond  (Read 11942 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Emlyn Hughes 1947-2004: Shine on you Crazy diamond
« on: November 9, 2004, 12:22:25 pm »
The very sad news has been announced that Red legend Emlyn Hughes passed away peacefully at his Sheffield home in the early hours of this morning. He was just 57 and had fought for over a year against a brain tumour.

It came as a great shock to many Reds in September 2003 to hear that Emlyn had been taken into hospital to have an operation to remove a brain tumour and was undertaking radiotherapy treatment. This was a man who had always exuded vitality and a love of life and it just seemed so cruel.

Emlyn was one of those Reds (never an ex-Red, once a Red always a Red) who for some reason or other doesn’t receive full recognition these days for his huge achievements at the club and in football in general. Maybe it’s the airbrushing of pre-1992 football history after the Sky-jacking of the top league? Who knows. But to any fan who remembers the man from Barrow playing for us in the 60s and 70s he’s right up there feasting at the top table with the very best of our legends.

Emlyn was signed by Shanks as a fallow 19 year old from Blackpool back in February 1967. He cost the not inconsiderable sum of £65000 for a teenager, but had been scouted by the club for some time and Shankly was convinced he’d signed a player to inject some much needed dynamism into his ageing side. He made his debut the next month v Stoke and barely looked back after that, playing an incredible 657 games during his Anfield career.

Emlyn's immediately apparent enthusiasm and will to win endeared the youngster to the Kop even if, as might have been expected from a teenager, the odd challenge was slightly rash at first. It was during these formative first few weeks at Anfield that he gained the nickname he was to carry as a badge of honour throughout his career; Crazy Horse. Ironically the name was bestowed upon him by Everton fans, something they’d live to regret in seasons to come.

Come all without
Come all within
You ain't seen nothing like the Mighty Emlyn

Emlyn was predominantly a left sided player but had an excellent right foot. He was strong in the air, a good tackler and as he got older a calm reader of the game. He started out at Blackpool as a fullback but Shankly saw him as the spark his team needed in midfield which is where the youngster made his debut. His early career at Liverpool also saw him deputise for the injured Gerry Byrne at leftback before he found a permanent place in the Reds' midfield at left half. With the departure of Larry Lloyd in the middle of the 1973-74 season he dropped back into defence to form a great partnership with Thommo, but still filled in (make that excelled) as a midfielder when required. He finished his career making 16 appearences in the all conquering 78-79 team back where it all started as a left fullback.

His move into central defence in the early 70s fitted in perfectly with the change in footballing theory by Shanks who, after seeing his side defeated by the likes of Ajax and Ferencvaros in the late 60s/early 70s, decided to dispense with the clogger/ball player philosophy of centreback partnerships that had existed in English football for decades. If we were to succeed in Europe it was time to move to two ball playing centrebacks and Emlyn proved to be one of the first, and finest, modern central defenders.

Hughes' first goal for the club would come at Anfield at the start of the 67-68 season in a 6-0 thrashing of Newcastle - 47 more would follow. A typical Crazy Horse goal would see him start a move with a clever pass out of defence and then pop up at the other end of the pitch to get on the end of the last pass in the move and score. He always seemed to have boundless energy to run the full length of the pitch to support the attack. And then of course the energy to celebrate. And could he celebrate!!! Emlyn would run like a mad man arms in the air screaming loudly and grinning from ear to ear, maybe throwing in the odd skip into his run. His other speciality was the rifled shot from 30 yards – when he hit a ball it stayed hit and would arrow through the air before sending the net bulging towards the Kop.

It would be 1973 before he saw trophy success at Liverpool with Shanks’ reformed modern-style team winning both the UEFA Cup and the League title. The start of the next season saw Emlyn take over the captaincy from Tommy Smith and lead Liverpool in the FA Cup final to a memorable 3-0 win over Newcastle with the boastful Malcolm MacDonald's pre-game boasts shoved firmly down his neck by a defence superbly marshalled by Emlyn.

Further success under his leadership followed with League Titles in 76 and 77, the UEFA Cup in 76 and our first two European Cup triumphs in the “Glory that was Rome” over Borussia in 1977 and the win over Bruges at Wembley in 1978. To put that into perspective, Emlyn captained us to as many European trophies as any other British club has won in their history.

During all this success at LFC he managed to chalk up 59 England caps (a club record) and also take over the captaincy of his country. Oh and let's not forget his 26 own goals. Legend has it he's the all-time top goal scorer against Liverpool just pipping Dixie Dean to the title.

Then there was Everton. Emlyn loved playing against our Blue cousins and scored 4 goals against them including both goals in a famous 2-0 win at Goodison in the 72-73 title winning season, Emlyn running towards the Park End to celebrate. His best remembered derby moment though was a remark made at the end of the FA Cup semi-final replay in 1977. After a 3-0 win he turned to the camera and said “Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic” - hardly the Liverpool Way but most Reds had a quiet chuckle to themselves at the time.  The problem was Emlyn made the mistake of repeating the comment (after possible a few celebratory drinks too many) on the balcony of St George's Hall at the end of the season on the team's return from Rome. It left the many Everton fans there who had come to congratulate the first European Cup winners from the city seething, and he later apologised.

Emlyn’s Anfield career ended when he joined Wolves for £90,000 in 1979. He captained them to a League Cup triumph in his first year at Molineux picking up the only domestic trophy missing from his cabinet.

On retirement from the game he moved into TV and took over as a captain on Question of Sport (getting handbagged by Princess Anne in the process) and also spent much of his time working tirelessly for charities. He was never afraid to voice his views in the media on the club and players which didn’t always endear him to some of today's "sensitive" fans. His on-running feud with Tommy Smith will remain one of football's most famous, pretty ironic considering the two players’ near identical career records for the Reds.

It’s doubtful if anyone who has worn the Liverbird upon their chest has played with more spirit and drive for the club than Emlyn. It was this spirit, drive and will to win that saw him fight so bravely for 16 months against the brain tumour ravaging him.

Our thoughts are with Emlyn's wife Barbara, children Emma and Emlyn junior, and the rest of his family and friends at this very sad time.

You’ll Never Walk Alone

Emlyn Hughes Liverpool Stats
Appearances: 657
Goals: 48 goals
Honours with LFC: 2 European Cups, 2 UEFA Cups, 4 League Championships, 1 FA Cup, 59 England Caps
Football Writers Player of the Year: 1977

Smith v Hughes, a comparison
League appearances: Smith 467 Hughes 474
League goals: Smith 36 Hughes 35
Total appearances: Smith 633 Hughes 657
Total goals: Smith 48 Hughes 48

© Rushian 2004
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 01:45:49 am by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
Re: Emlyn Hughes 1947-2004: Shine on you Crazy diamond
« Reply #1 on: November 9, 2004, 12:29:17 pm »
In that first game against Stoke he tackled one of their hard players (Maurice Setters I think) somewhere about midriff height. He bounced off him and then jumped back and into the fray.

We knew right there that a star had landed.

There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Emlyn Hughes RIP1947-2004: Shine on you Crazy diamond
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2004, 12:30:15 pm »
thank you Steve

He was a member of the finest Liverpool squad for me.

And a real Liverpool player in every aspect.

these monied days seemed to have bought out any semblance of a personality in many teams - the game lacks real characters - ah for another post methinks...

Emlyn Hughes was a character and a footballer and a Red. Sadly missed.

RIP
Yep.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2004, 12:32:17 pm »
Top stuff, Rushian. A fitting tribute. (And an amazing comparison with Tommy Smith).

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2004, 01:26:24 pm »
Great stuff Steve.

Hughes was probably the first player I recognised as a kid, first footballer to enter my conscious, and first player I wanted for my Panini book,  and his lifting of the European Cup, surrounded by a throng of people and a mass of flashing bulbs is still, and probably always will be, my favourite Liverpool moment.

couldn't find a better pic

A Legend sadly missed.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2004, 02:01:01 pm »
My favourite  player  EVER. No contest. I miss him.

I usually have problems separating the politics from the player but with Emlyn I never had any problems. The way he wore the shirt  and his smile were more than enough for me.

My  first manager when I was 9 knew he was my favourite used to to call me 'Emlyn' from the touchline to encourage me - that made me so proud.

Great  piece Steve  ....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 10:26:48 am by nige »

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2004, 02:24:12 pm »
amended nige
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

REDS TOGETHER IN GRIEF

« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2004, 02:31:10 pm »
R.I.P CRAZY HORSE

A TRUE LIVERPOOL LEGND
GONE TO JOIN THE BOOTROOM IN THE SKY

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2004, 03:50:35 pm »
RIP. Emlyn

Great obituary.

YNWA
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline Redbrummy

• Legacy Fan
  • Olivia Katie Rose 22/8/08
« Reply #9 on: November 9, 2004, 04:20:33 pm »

very sad news

R.I.P

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #10 on: November 9, 2004, 04:45:17 pm »
Wonderful player, will never forget his goal celebrations.

RIP Emlyn.

P.S.
Can anyone post the photo of Emlyn running along Southport beach with Red Rum?

Mal W.

« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2004, 05:20:17 pm »
Great tribute Rushian!

It is truly a sad day for such a great man to die so young. Even sadder is the fact that Emlyn didn't quite get the recognition he truly deserved. Maybe because he became a TV personality or maybe because we had a continued line of great successors at Anfield in Hansen, Lawrenson, Gillespie et al . However, he seemed a faded memory somewhat. Personally he was an idol to me as a young Kopite in the 70's. The beaming smile, the 110% effort and the coolness on the ball all personified a true Legend. No-one will ever overshadow the enthusiam and pride Emlyn Hughes showed as a Liverpool player. Just maybe Rafa Benitez will dust out a few old videos of the great man and the teams of the 70's to show our lads today what it meant to play for and Captain Liverpool FC. We lost a great one today but I can guarantee Shanks and Bob will welcome him as their new captain with open arms as he joins the bootroom in the sky.    YNWA Crazy Horse

Two Legends gone but never forgotten

Emlyn Hughes hugs Liverpool manager
Bill Shankly back in 1973

« Last Edit: November 9, 2004, 05:22:55 pm by Rushian »

Offline docker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: November 9, 2004, 06:18:32 pm »
crazy horse, a real hero. and to any liverpool supporter who never seen him play,he was that good, he'd walk into our team today.r.i.p
block 107

Offline Mike 88

• Main Stander
  • European champions 2005 F.A cup winners 2006
« Reply #13 on: November 9, 2004, 06:20:02 pm »
Great piece  RIP Crazy horse
 a true legend
YNWA
We are the champions
champions of Europe

Carlos Fandango

« Reply #14 on: November 9, 2004, 08:14:14 pm »
Excellent Obituary,

As a Liverpool from 76 on, he represented everything great about football, he loved us, and he loved us all for loving football.

His smile and joy will long live in my heart.

YNWA

CGE

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 9, 2004, 08:21:51 pm »
Very sad news - brain tumours are terrible things and such a sad way to go at only 57. Best wishes to his family and everyone who was lucky enough to really remember him.

Offline Ian_Ian_K

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 12:19:21 am »
Fans of today, who quite rightly rave over the brilliance of Steven Gerrard, should know that when Emlyn played in central midfield for us, his performances and style of play, bore an uncanny resemblance to those we see today from Stevie.
Only he was better.
And that was in his least played position of the three he played for us, which also included left back and most commonly, centre half, as described in Rushian's great piece.
He was fantastic, and was certainly the most committed, enthusiastic and whole hearted Liverpool player I've ever seen.
Rest in peace Emlyn.
 :(

Phill

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 01:50:15 am »
Tears, just tears
got aphoto of my boy with his 77 shirt and an England cap.

THANKS

phill

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 02:18:47 am »
I think we all knew this day was imminent with his prognosis being so poor. Emlyn was the epitome of someone who always gave 100% whilst on the pitch. He had a genuine enthusiasm which endeared him to many and probably alienated himself from some others. He was such a big part of that great early success when we started to dominate at home and on the continent. Over 600 games in Liverpool red   .   . the mighty Emlyn!

Offline seawa

• will do anything for a hob nob
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 04:31:13 am »
Wonderful tribute, thanks Rushian

Offline ecmdtan

• Legacy Fan
  • Lurker
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 08:27:46 am »
RIP Emlyn. Once a Red, always a red.

You'll Never Walk Alone.
On April 15th, 89.........What should have been a joyous time...........Ninety six friends, we all shall miss.........And all the Kopites want justice...................JUSTICE!!!

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 10:20:09 am »
excellent tribute to a great (a truly great) player and a great man.
Internet terrorist

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 12:39:07 pm »
Great Tribute to a Great Man......

I will always remember his Derby goals.
His celebrations will live with me forever.

Class Act

Shine on Crazy Horse
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline chairmaned

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 12:44:19 pm »
Hi all

Great piece Steve Crazy Horse may have gone but he will never be forgotten.

RIP Emlyn

MrsMillsee

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2004, 01:04:43 pm »
Rarely has a man epitomised football as much as you did.  You will be sorely missed Emlyn.

R.I.P. Crazy Horse

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 01:50:38 pm »
An absolutely superb piece on a legend of the game. Thanks Steve.

I never had the fortune of seeing him play, but on the footage I've seen of games back then his celebrations have always brought a smile to my face. A man who truely loved the game.

RIP
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2004, 05:52:07 pm »
Played Steve, nice tribute. As you well know, I lived in Norwich. Went to Uni there for 3 years. Anyway, one night I was in a cab on my way in to town and I got talking to teh cabbie. Albert Bennett I think his name was. Anyway, we got talking about footy and it was mentioned that I'ma huge liverpool fan. He explained that he was a huge norwich fan, and, in fcat, he used to play for norwich. We had a good chin wag on teh jouney and i asked whether or not he'd ever played at teh mighty anfield. He told me he had. A "magnificent" stadium he described it as, to which I concurred.

I asked him what his fondest memory was and he said that it was playing against teh  great emlyn hughes. Why? - I said. He told me the shanks story about teh rugby tackle which emlyn performed on a player after he'd been told to "go on son, make a name for yourself" and teh tackle which emlyn performed, was, according to my cab driver mate, was on him.

He told me that in all his years of football, his personal "most famous" moment to which people (even canaries) used to remember him by was the emlyn tackle. And never a nicer man than emlyn could you meet he told me.

I've a mate who's a big norwich fane and a day or so later I checked in his norwich record book and sure enough the name of "albert bennett" - (Ed- I think it was albert bennett) was recorded in teh book, listing his apearances etc. Someone may want to check that fact out if they wish, but he spoke of teh tackle like it occurred uyesterday, with clarity and humour. His greatest moment, he told me.

Doubtless Mr bennet is probably wiping the tear under his eye at this time.

Emlyn, Sir, Rest in peace. God bless you.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2004, 06:11:39 pm »
Reeves - I'd heard the Albie Bennett story before and have seen it since Emlyn's death on one or two sites. Didn't realise he'd played/lived in Norwich though. Pity I've moved down south as I would have gone and got an interview with him.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2004, 06:23:56 pm »
Yeah, would have been a good interview. He has fond memories. Can't remember which firm he worked for though! Where you living now? Why teh move?
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004