Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1075203 times)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #10320 on: May 20, 2023, 06:38:57 pm »
Its doable but we would need to see an increase in their productivity. Also lets be honest there is absolutely no way we can have two number 10’s and they not chip in with more goals. Curtis is which is good but Henderson looks lost.
I think you can get play them together occasionally but against a well organised Villa team it was always going to be a struggle. Jota starting over either of the Diaz or Gakpo would have been preferable.

Agree absolutely it Henderson in this role, I wonder if he can be the back up to Trent in the inverted full back position in the future.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10321 on: May 20, 2023, 06:51:24 pm »
The Sevilla cup will have Sevilla in the final.
Unless they win it this year and are in the CL next.

They would have to win it, they are 10th in La Liga. They will win the final, but finish 3rd in their group and fall into the Europa. Count on it.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10322 on: May 20, 2023, 06:51:54 pm »
I think you can get play them together occasionally but against a well organised Villa team it was always going to be a struggle. Jota starting over either of the Diaz or Gakpo would have been preferable.

Agree absolutely it Henderson in this role, I wonder if he can be the back up to Trent in the inverted full back position in the future.
I would rather Henderson just be backup for Fabinho Plz dont have during build up play

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10323 on: May 20, 2023, 06:55:26 pm »
I would rather Henderson just be backup for Fabinho Plz dont have during build up play

He really is lost when he gets the ball, it goes backward or he floats it.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10324 on: May 20, 2023, 07:03:32 pm »
He's never been the best technically and he's getting on physically(his defensive stats have waned). Would have him in the Milner role next season

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10325 on: May 20, 2023, 07:32:45 pm »
His physically ability at this point is not making up his weaknesses as much hope he in the milner role much more next season.
Do we know how many appearances he has to make for the 2025 option?
Klopp values him in the locker room and a leader too but on the pitch he looks he going be replaced soon

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #10326 on: May 20, 2023, 07:37:07 pm »
They would have to win it, they are 10th in La Liga. They will win the final, but finish 3rd in their group and fall into the Europa. Count on it.

hahaha.
Sevilla to win the Sevilla cup even when not in it at the start.

Unless....
Unai Emery gets Aston Villa into it.
Then all bets are off.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #10327 on: May 20, 2023, 11:24:21 pm »
so if we sign Mac allistar, Where will he fit in the new template? Is it a sign of a change in formation and going 4231?

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10328 on: May 21, 2023, 12:13:11 am »
so if we sign Mac allistar, Where will he fit in the new template? Is it a sign of a change in formation and going 4231?

I presume in this new template he would be used in the role currently occupied by Jones.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10329 on: May 21, 2023, 12:26:40 am »

Difficult to predict now as we don't even know what is the plan with Gakpo and Nunez and Trent.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10330 on: May 21, 2023, 08:09:56 am »
Gakpo has done well and he did help us a lot in the second half by dropping deep but we had four midfielders effectively on the pitch and I am not sure having five with him dropping deep is ideal when at home. Really blunts our attacking threat.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10331 on: May 21, 2023, 08:25:50 am »
At our best we have a minimum of two consistent goal scorers in our front three. First it was Salah and Mane with Firmino supporting but the last few seasons we had Salah, Mane and Jota, three goal scorers.

Today we had Gakpo and Diaz who are both 1 in 4 players. I think you can get away with one of them playing but not both at the same time too often.

We've got a really good lineup of forwards, enough to get us top 4 no doubt. I'm just not sure we've got title challenging forwards anymore. Perhaps with the new system and more offensively minded 8s our forwards need to score less in the future. Plus Diaz will, hopefully, be back to his old level next season, Gapko will have had a preseason and Nunez will be better able to do the out of possession stuff. So maybe once they've improved they will be a title challenging lineup.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:28:03 am by Knight »

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10332 on: May 21, 2023, 08:34:00 am »
We've got a really good lineup of forwards, enough to get us top 4 no doubt. I'm just not sure we've got title challenging forwards anymore. Perhaps with the new system and more offensively minded 8s our forwards need to score less in the future. Plus Diaz will, hopefully, be back to his old level next season, Gapko will have had a preseason and Nunez will be better able to do the out of possession stuff. So maybe once they've improved they will be a title challenging lineup.
Nunez number suggest he can do that(aka he should be a 20 plus goals in the league type scorer). Diaz should be better too. Expect a little more from the Midfield too with this setup, Also Jota and Gapko are not bad either.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #10333 on: May 21, 2023, 08:44:29 am »
Nunez number suggest he can do that(aka he should be a 20 plus goals in the league type scorer). Diaz should be better too. Expect a little more from the Midfield too with this setup, Also Jota and Gapko are not bad either.
We have the players but we need to get the blend correct. Yesterday we had two players in Diaz and Gakpo who both want the ball to feet and look to progress with it through dribbling. But that leaves us short of an outlet who’s looking to run in behind and penetrate the back line.

Last season Diaz was playing up front with Jota, Mane or Salah, three players who look to run into space and get into the box.

I think Jota starting instead of either Diaz or Gakpo yesterday would have been much more threatening. Seems strange he found some form and has since been dropped to the bench.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10334 on: May 21, 2023, 08:51:38 am »

Absolutely not good enough on the ball or creative enough for that position imo, he should be a back up for the 6 next season.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10335 on: May 21, 2023, 08:52:25 am »
The biggest concern I have for this new system is the lack of pragmatism and adaptation shown, especially yesterday.

Villa set up to nullify us, overloaded the middle and we had no idea what to do, we spent most of the game aimlessly punting the ball long.

There was acres of space out wide, we need to improve our in game intelligence and state to adapt what is in front of us instead of banging our head against a brick wall.

Hopefully this is improved over the summer as Trent should have gone back to his older positions and created overlaps, he’d had got much more space and time. Especially considering it was Digne and then Ashley bird shit Young out there.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10336 on: May 21, 2023, 10:01:20 am »

Fitting a front 3 together is less obvious these days. Playing Diaz and Gakpo possibly doesn’t give us enough edge in that respect (Diaz would have to show more goal threat to come up to the level of Mané. Jota and Gakpo and then Diaz and Nunez are better pairings, if Nunez shows some all around improvement.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10337 on: May 21, 2023, 01:14:03 pm »
Fitting a front 3 together is less obvious these days. Playing Diaz and Gakpo possibly doesn’t give us enough edge in that respect (Diaz would have to show more goal threat to come up to the level of Mané. Jota and Gakpo and then Diaz and Nunez are better pairings, if Nunez shows some all around improvement.

So Jota or Nunez and Gapko or Diaz always play? Jota and Nunez are probably more likely to score goals than Diaz and Gapko. Diaz and Gapko are better at keeping the ball.

*Edit much later* sorry meant to say, makes sense to divide the players up in that way given the strengths. Problem is I’m not sure you want Gapko out wide and you probably want Nunez and Jota central too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 03:27:38 pm by Knight »

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10338 on: May 21, 2023, 01:26:38 pm »
We need Darwin to start scoring regularly which is why we paid so much for him anyway. That's the biggest question mark because no matter how people spin it with XG stats, we signed him for his goals. Jota should be starting mire regularly as things stand.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10339 on: May 21, 2023, 08:57:20 pm »
I presume in this new template he would be used in the role currently occupied by Jones.

why wouldn’t we use him in the Henderson role and keep Jones doing what he’s doing?

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10340 on: May 21, 2023, 09:58:51 pm »
why wouldn’t we use him in the Henderson role and keep Jones doing what he’s doing?

We would. It would make zero sense to replace Jones with MacAllister instead of Henderson with MacAllister.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #10341 on: May 21, 2023, 11:59:59 pm »
There was a scene in the 1969 film The Italian Job where when they lost all the fast cars the question was asked now we don’t have the fast cars in a emergency what are we going to do. I almost feel like that as we have lost Divok and now Bobby for our late goals…. What are we going to do now!
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10342 on: May 22, 2023, 04:23:55 pm »
One trophy confirmed next season, unless we play Sevilla in the final.
Oh ffs.  Ridiculously arrogant comment.

Offline BornRedSince76

• Main Stander
« Reply #10343 on: May 22, 2023, 07:03:51 pm »
I like what Klopp is trying to do, but I don’t think the system will work next season - the better teams will pick us off when transitioning in that right hand space behind Trent. We have to get our press right all the time, they just need to get their pass to exploit the space right once.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10344 on: May 22, 2023, 07:07:11 pm »
I dont think this system will get us anywhere imo. All it takes is a sort of decent ball in the space behind trent and we are conceding a massive chance.

I am sure there is a plan, but I do not get it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10345 on: May 22, 2023, 11:34:53 pm »
There is still plenty for the attack to prove.Salah is great, the rest the jury's out a bit.

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #10346 on: May 23, 2023, 12:46:24 am »
We could almost experiment with Gakpo in the Hendo position a bit more. I think he has all the attributes for it minus maybe crossing but I think having him there almost makes us less predictable. When the ball is recycled to Hendo sometimes you can almost feel those defenders drop back into space waiting for the cross, with Gakpo I feel he could do some of those 10-y things whilst offering a lot of the physicality that Hendo currently possesses. What we would lose with this is of course the drive that Gakpo would provide us in the false 9.

Also, don't know if he can the dirty Hendo stuff in the middle and defensive third. Ultimately it might be good for Liverpool but probably not great for Gakpo.

Two biggest issues for me with this new set up is 1) the Hendo position and 2) the left forward position and what we expect from that.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10347 on: May 23, 2023, 04:28:42 am »
I mean they may not all be word class on their own but all 5 forwards have the ability to score 10+ goals each in all comps.  Not many teams can say that.  City had 4 players who scored over 10 goals in all comps.  One of them just happened to be Haaland though who banged in shitloads. 

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #10348 on: May 23, 2023, 08:08:43 am »
I dont think this system will get us anywhere imo. All it takes is a sort of decent ball in the space behind trent and we are conceding a massive chance.

I am sure there is a plan, but I do not get it.
Yeah this was unheard of in the previous system.........

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #10349 on: May 23, 2023, 08:17:24 am »
There is still plenty for the attack to prove.Salah is great, the rest the jury's out a bit.
I think they're all ok in their own right but we need to make sure we get the balance right in games. I said after the Villa game that Gakpo and Diaz are both 1 in 4 type players who want the ball played to feet rather than making penetrating runs. Compare that to when we had Salah and Mane or even Salah, Mane and Jota and you can see it leaves us one short of a genuine goal threat up front.

Playing one of Gakpo and Diaz with two from Jota, Salah or Nunez shouldn’t be an issue as the goal threat will still be there. 

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #10350 on: May 23, 2023, 09:28:41 am »
I mean they may not all be word class on their own but all 5 forwards have the ability to score 10+ goals each in all comps.  Not many teams can say that.  City had 4 players who scored over 10 goals in all comps.  One of them just happened to be Haaland though who banged in shitloads.
During our peak we got very few goals from midfield, like a handful combined, but incredible numbers from our wingers. Maybe it's easier to get more goals from CM than recreating that. I also think Gakpo will be a better goal scorer than Firmino on average. He's more eager to score, and has a much better shot. 

I think Gakpo has a lot of what we look for in a CM, but at the same time he's doing very well as false nine.

I don't think we should overthink this. Get a proper RB that can defend and provide width, and get a couple of CMs with fresh legs. 

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #10351 on: May 26, 2023, 05:44:10 pm »
Whoever we get in this summer....I hope for a lot of football intelligence and good temperament.

We've lost a lot in Milly, bobby, Mane and previously Gini....very smart players in their respective positions. Think it has hurt as at times this season, not to say the remaining players are a bunch of morons but it is something I feel we lack in comparison to our teams of yesteryear. We often could work out teams much quicker before and not fall into traps as often
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #10352 on: May 28, 2023, 07:23:07 am »
This is a superb twitter thread about our new set up!

https://twitter.com/FootballXpl/status/1662429655805075456?s=20
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 07:31:18 am by LiamG »

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10353 on: May 29, 2023, 02:10:08 am »
Whoever we get in this summer....I hope for a lot of football intelligence and good temperament.

We've lost a lot in Milly, bobby, Mane and previously Gini....very smart players in their respective positions. Think it has hurt as at times this season, not to say the remaining players are a bunch of morons but it is something I feel we lack in comparison to our teams of yesteryear. We often could work out teams much quicker before and not fall into traps as often

Eloquently and tactfullly explained but moron would be the man who sends them out onto the pitch.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10354 on: May 31, 2023, 03:46:22 pm »
Feel like this table could be used whenever anyone asks why did Klopp keep playing Gakpo/Henderson/Elliott

https://twitter.com/StatsBomb/status/1663859138802098182?t=V9_DiYptAuU3s_PAjwu4vQ&s=19

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #10355 on: May 31, 2023, 03:52:44 pm »
Feel like this table could be used whenever anyone asks why did Klopp keep playing Gakpo/Henderson/Elliott

https://twitter.com/StatsBomb/status/1663859138802098182?t=V9_DiYptAuU3s_PAjwu4vQ&s=19

One of the reasons we were interested in mount

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10356 on: May 31, 2023, 04:13:19 pm »

Something I've argued with people about all season about Henderson. I know his tackles and stuff are way down, but his ability to pressure someone to change their passing lane or rush a pass has been great. I imagine we saw Mount taking that role as well as being able to get forward a bit more

I can see why Jurgen loves Elliott in that role as well based on these numbers

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10357 on: May 31, 2023, 05:09:25 pm »
One of the reasons we were interested in mount

And Gallagher?

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10358 on: May 31, 2023, 05:27:05 pm »
Something I've argued with people about all season about Henderson. I know his tackles and stuff are way down, but his ability to pressure someone to change their passing lane or rush a pass has been great. I imagine we saw Mount taking that role as well as being able to get forward a bit more

I can see why Jurgen loves Elliott in that role as well based on these numbers

Meh. He did it worse than Elliot. So of the 2 players who played in that position for us this season, Henderson was 2nd best. And he was much worse on the ball too.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #10359 on: May 31, 2023, 10:48:01 pm »
Eloquently and tactfullly explained but moron would be the man who sends them out onto the pitch.

Not imo.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.