Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 214841 times)

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Brendan Rodgers
« on: May 17, 2016, 03:52:13 pm »
Not sure where to put this as other Rodger's topic were locked.

Sky Sports understands former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is holding further talks with Celtic over their managerial vacancy.

It is believed the Northern Irishman, who discussed the position with the club's hierarchy last week, is now the No 1 candidate for the post.

Rodgers has been out of work since October, 2015, when he was replaced at the Anfield by Jurgen Klopp.

It is understood former Watford, Cardiff and Wigan boss Malky Mackay - who played for Celtic during the 1990s - has also been interviewed for the position following Ronny Deila's departure.

However, Sky sources believe Paul Lambert, who quit as Blackburn boss last month, and former Everton manager David Moyes, a long-time front-runner for the position, have not been interviewed.

Deila announced earlier this month he was standing down after two seasons at Parkhead despite leading the Hoops to their fifth successive title.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/10285919/former-liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-the-no-1-target-for-celtic-sky-sources
« Last Edit: April 2, 2023, 03:18:13 pm by John C »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
That's a good job for him, but really doesn't help their European ambitions.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That's a good job for Brendan.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
Good spot for him. Must be hard to find after getting a big job so early.

Kind of his level to be honest but can easily work his way up a bit being just early 40s.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good news for him, really hope he's a success there!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Would be a good job for him to take, hopefully build his reputation back up at a big club whilst also playing in Europe.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
It's difficult to build a reputation there unless he is very successful in Europe. As a bare minimum he has to win the League every season.

Look at Neil Lennon. He won the League regularly and was semi-successful in Europe (beating Barcelona etc.), yet the only job he got in England was to manage Bolton in the Championship.

I think he would have been much better off managing someone at the level he initially came from, i.e. Swansea. I'm sure he had offers.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Seems like it could be the ideal place for him.  Guaranteed to do well in the league, a chance to get some European experience hopefully.

Good luck Brendan.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Good place for him and good luck!

Offline stuartheal

• Kopite
Think BR can establish himself amongst elite coaches.  Will need to get his reputation up again though and this is a perfect job.  Doubt a top PL club would take chance on him now but if Celtic goes well then his stock will rise.

Online cissesbeard

• Kopite
not sure its the right move for him but hope it works out.
good luck Brendan.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Be nice to meet them in the CL, and smash them up.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Think BR can establish himself amongst elite coaches. 

:lmao

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Guaranteed to win
No brainer

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
Seems like a poor choice for Brendan. Neil Lennon was a really good manager at Celtic and still couldn't get a decent job off the back of it so i'm not sure it'll do anything for Brendan's reputation. He'd be better getting work as a pundit, putting his face everywhere and just waiting to see what comes up in the PL early next season.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
He's better than them.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
I will be interested in assessing his team's performance in the CL next season.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
He's better than them.

Yes...

But then, I can see the attraction.  A huge club, but in a league where winning should be a shoe in.

Might be a great place to develop for him.

I'm still surprised he hasn't taken a job in Spain though.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
He's better than them.

Not sure. Where would you put Celtic in the EPL? Rodgers is mid-table at best.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline jediwarrior

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Strange one for him to take. He be expected to win the League every season so if Rangers Aberdeen can push on and beat them to the title he would have failed.

Also they will want to start getting in the Group stages of the CL again where they have failed for the past few years to do that.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan

Celtic would be relegated in their 1st season in the Prem. I doubt they'd finish in the top 6 in the Championship

This is a great move for him. A couple of seasons there, win a couple of leagues and get some European experience and then move on. Or even stay if he does well, the only reason their current manager left was because they left Europe straight away and allowed Aberdeen to keep pace with them for a while

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Celtic would be relegated in their 1st season in the Prem. I doubt they'd finish in the top 6 in the Championship

This is a great move for him. A couple of seasons there, win a couple of leagues and get some European experience and then move on. Or even stay if he does well, the only reason their current manager left was because they left Europe straight away and allowed Aberdeen to keep pace with them for a while

In that case it is about his level and would be a good job for him.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think we get the message. People like you wouldn't have deserved that title in 13/14 if we'd have gotten over the line.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
Do Rangers have money to kick on again or are still struggling?

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan

It's a massive club. I mean the league is utter shite but the club is huge. He's a mid-table Premier League manager, if he works on a few things then he can be any level he wants really (same as a few other managers). Couldn't think of a better job to get back into football with really

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
I think we get the message. People like you wouldn't have deserved that title in 13/14 if we'd have gotten over the line.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well deserved CT  :thumbup

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
He's a mid-table Premier League manager, if he works on a few things then he can be any level he wants really (same as a few other managers). Couldn't think of a better job to get back into football with really

He's certainly a mid-table PL manager, he may be able to work to become better, who knows.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
If he takes the job, it will help him to get some trophies onto his CV at the very least.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Well deserved CT  :thumbup

Cheers, I've had it for months.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

yeah and he won fuck all just like the rest of that team.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
yeah and he won fuck all just like the rest of that team.

I always think it's weird that the only Liverpool side that has won anything in recent years was the one with Charlie Adam, Downing, and Carroll and that's the side everyone unanimously feels nauseated thinking about.

Meanwhile Arbeloa, Torres, Mascherano and that really good side won nothing. Likewise with Rodgers side. Football is weird.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
Good move for him, Moyes back to The Bitters could still be on the cards then, I was sure he'd end up at Celtic.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I always think it's weird that the only Liverpool side that has won anything in recent years was the one with Charlie Adam, Downing, and Carroll and that's the side everyone unanimously feels nauseated thinking about.

Meanwhile Arbeloa, Torres, Mascherano and that really good side won nothing. Likewise with Rodgers side. Football is weird.

Yes, very strange isn't it. Torres won literally nothing with us, and we were a fucking boss footballing machine.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Dunno, but what can you possibly prove there?

The only thing that is an indicator of managerial ability for that club is the CL, and I don't think the players are up to scratch to make any impact whatsoever there. Maybe Rangers can carry on climbing, and make the SPL mean something. Expect that'll take a few years though.

Guess he gets to make money and prove that he wants to work, but I'd personally think any PL job is more alluring aside from relegation certainties.

Celtic are an odd case where they're a big club, but I don't consider it a big job. Maybe he admires them a lot as a club as well, which is fair enough. Also a possibility that he's been waiting for better offers and they just haven't come.

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
Good move for Brendan that, wish him luck. Be interesting to see how well Rangers perform next year compared to Celtic.

Hopefully he can push them along in Europe and get some well needed experience at that level, only way he can get a move to another top club IMO

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
they can't get past the qualifiers as it is.

Bad choice of move imo. Winning is expected domestically. With Rangers back, he'll have a challenge but he will still be seen as poor if he's not winning consistently enough.

And it's a shite league
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline RaveDave

• Kopite
An utter rubbish move for him, he can win the SPL for the next 3 seasons in a row and it won't enhance his reputation one bit. Only some sort of European success will do anything for his reputation and that is not easy at all. Brendan would be better waiting for a PL job.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
An utter rubbish move for him, he can win the SPL for the next 3 seasons in a row and it won't enhance his reputation one bit. Only some sort of European success will do anything for his reputation and that is not easy at all. Brendan would be better waiting for a PL job.

There's not many jobs out there for him though. Would say Watford is tailor made for him but he didn't leave there on very good terms so that's hard to see.

Decent manager but absolutely unbearable to hear talk so it's fine with me he'll move to a league I don't follow that closely. Putting aside my strong dislike for the man it's clear to see he gave everything he had for the club so I can only wish him well.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Yes...

But then, I can see the attraction.  A huge club, but in a league where winning should be a shoe in.

Might be a great place to develop for him.

I'm still surprised he hasn't taken a job in Spain though.
They're not "huge" ffs.