Author Topic: Sheffield FC  (Read 1819 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Sheffield FC
« on: May 17, 2010, 06:14:37 pm »
I've been working on a story/feature on Sheffield FC - the oldest football club in the world, for you useless eggheads. I was given the grand tour today and it's an amazing piece of footballing history - the boardroom is like an Aladdin's cave of footballing royalty. Pennants (not Jermaine), signed shirts, plaques, certificates, shields, photographs - it was breathtaking. It's a great football club and it has some big plans to reintroduce itself into the football world. I'll whack the feature up when it's written/published but I just thought I'd give it a mention and see if anyone has visited Sheffield FC before?

I was a bit ashamed that there wasn't one memento from us, really. I'd love to play them in a friendly or the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Chairman is a great bloke too; a really decent, honest footballing man.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sheffield FC
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:16:44 pm »
thought Notts county were the oldest?
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:16:46 pm »
I went to uni in Sheffield - where are they based?
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:17:57 pm »

They're oldest league club I think.

I went to watch Sheffield FC a couple of years ago with a mate who's a Wednesday fan, Wednesday were away or not playing so we went down to watch them, always try to keep an eye out for their results now.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »

Notts County are the oldest professional club. Sheffield FC were founded in 1857 - five years before.

I went to uni in Sheffield - where are they based?

I've been doing a bit at the University this year on my training year. They're just outside Sheffield in a little village called Dronfield. They are relocating soon though to the city centre and hope to open a museum of football similar to Preston's.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:38:15 pm »
what sort of level they at then?
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:44:40 pm »
Level 8, although they missed out on promotion via the playoffs which would have seen them in the Unibond Premier next year with the likes of Marine, Burscough and FC United of Manchester. They faced Inter Milan in 2007 at Bramall Lane for their 150th anniversary and lost 5-2.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:47:06 pm »

I've been doing a bit at the University this year on my training year. They're just outside Sheffield in a little village called Dronfield. They are relocating soon though to the city centre and hope to open a museum of football similar to Preston's.

Would be nice if they did, probably get them a little bit of cash too.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 06:57:22 pm »
Came across the wiki entry for Sheffield FC a few months ago, incredible club.

I find that early period of football history fascinating, the Sheffield area seems to have been particularly influential in shaping the game.