Author Topic: Re: John Henry's open letter to fans  (Read 165569 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Re: John Henry's open letter to fans
« on: September 3, 2012, 05:11:23 pm »
I've extracted this from the locked thread as I think its a terrific post and perhaps a good new starter to a more considered thread on the owners and where Liverpool Football Club is right now. By all means please join the debate but I want to keep this a moderated thread of good ideas, opinions and thoughts. Of course alternating views are welcome but as ever, debate not insult. Thanks. Hinesy

I'm off for now, as fans of Liverpool football club we have been absolutely spoilt and I think it's evidenced here. Clearly some thought that when FSG bought us, they would sweep us to titles after titles in record time and it's not happened. Let's face it, the Premier League has never been so competitive for a long time. The rise of teams around us came around the time of the 3 years of Hicks and Gillett stagnation that we are now trying to turn to around (admittedly with a couple of mistakes with the new regime along the way). 

There is a cause for concern for watching the movements of the owners a lot more closely from now on, but clearly in order to compete without a sugar daddy we need to make savings in areas where we can make them, and then spend the money we generate! And remember the savings don't always appear in the account right away. Unless John Henry has pocketed the "£20m" we have saved on wages, what would the point be of doing that otherwise? It seems to me that many of us are now overly suspicious since the last lot, and perhaps just purchasing a single striker on deadline day would have been the difference between pandemonium and relative calm at the direction the club is going.

They're blamed for the handling of the Suarez case, and there are fair points there too, but there were more people involved in that than Tom Werner and John Henry. I think some of us are very quick to launch an attack on the owners and swing for a scapegoat at the first sign of trouble and if we very quickly tarnish FSG with the same brushes we (rightfully) did with Hicks and Gillett we're in dangerous territory of being the boy that cried wolf ourselves. Constantly having gripes with our owners, whoever they may be and perhaps someone who can do something may not want to touch us.

H+G, Moores, FSG, which would you prefer? For all the clamour for a John Moores figure it was our very own fans who sold our shares (admittedly share holders were lied to) in order to get owners we thought would be better than Moores, because the luscious riches and green grass on the other side was too much to resist. We've been down shit alley because of that. We were days away from administration. We were paying £30m a year on interest payments to fund the fucking bastards for purchasing us in the first place. There was ZERO net spend on players, there was profit making on players and we were sinking. I was crying out for a return to living within our means and building slowly but properly, and to be able to be a club again, to be free of H/G. You don't know what you've got till it's gone? Too right we didn't. Only when we were marching down to Anfield and staying behind after the matches, did we realise what complete and utter bastards had taken us over. And essentially David Moores could probably do similar with us that FSG are doing, and maybe we needed to appreciate that what we had under Moores might not have been the best, but we weren't going to skid off the track, or lose points in the league for administration problems rather than Podoloski and Cazorla goals- we had stability under Moores and we hopefully are on course for stability again, even if we are not quite there yet.

Some might argue that there was profit making this window, but I think that would be unfair, I think it is clear that after three years out of the Champions League we can't afford to be paying £400k or so for Aquilani, Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi. Barring the colossal fuck up on the last day of the transfer window, I can partly buy into what they are trying to do, I can see it and it seems like they are going down the directions they have told us they are. I don't think they've full on robbed us yet and it's very difficult when we are three games into the season and using an Arsenal defeat to call the owners into question.

Someone raised the point that Rodgers had £10m and spent it on Borini. He had the option to spend it on someone else of course, we cannot miss this important point. The money was provided, if he wanted Dempsey then, or a striker he could have gone for them then, but he clearly decided that Borini was more important, that cannot be FSG's fault.

I believe it was clear on some of the financial graphs that we were leaking money to wages and one of the priorities had to be to get it in order. We knew in our heart of hearts that we weren't going to be challenging for the title this year and that getting into the top four was going to be difficult, so in that case, is now not the best time to be making these decisions and streamlining Liverpool so to get the most out of every £1 we spend, and to make sure that where possible we free up money for future transfer windows by getting rid of over paid, under played players (Cole and Carragher to be up next).

So I can see where FSG are trying to go, and it's too early for me to draw any conclusions 6 months into this "new slate", we surely need to see what develops over time. Because some of our fans in their other breaths are talking about the excellent quality of the players coming through, so maybe it is also time to test that theory and see if they are ready for the step up. Supplementing them in future with real quality.

I think we always knew it was going to be a bumpy next couple of years, the lads on the Anfield Wrap have expressed as much themselves, lads who take a deep, caring interest in our club, more than others perhaps. And maybe that's why we react so badly to the idea of taking a couple of seasons to really iron out the issues, because we've had a shite three years and not only that we're in 2012, where everything happens right now, right away, and there is no delay and we know it's going to hurt as we go through bad results and fall short, and don't get to where we want right away, but it's happened in the past and perhaps we need to grow some balls and stick with it and see how the managers vision develops.

I don't mean to compare Shanky/Rodgers directly, but indirectly it took Shankly 3 years just to get us out of the 2nd Division. He apparently came in with average players in the squad, and great potential in reserves. He changed the way we trained, he decided on a new style of pressing, and winning the ball back. There are similarities but clearly they are not exactly the same, and Shankly was in a class of his own, but no-one could have predicted what would have happened with Shankly's reign 3 months in, and neither can we here, it wouldn't be fair.

We're victims of our own success. When Shankly came in, he was afforded the time to set about his vision, and so he did. Now Rodgers/FSG might not achieve anything near the great man, I'm not professing they definitely will, but it's clear that after they sacked Kenny, they have gone about trying to do something differently, and are effectively only 5-6 months into that plan, so to judge them now is wrong. Maybe Shankly wouldn't have lasted three years if internet forums existed? Everyone hates people saying it, but in this case it's true. It's early doors, we need to see how each of the next three transfer windows develops, how the football on the pitch develops and buy into the project and make our analysis as we go, not after three games.

Else, we just get rid of another pair of owners, who might want their own man and we start from scratch again and again and again. We're not gonna bounce into the top four, and we might need to wait, we were prepared to do this in the past, I wonder if we can be prepared to do this again?
« Last Edit: September 3, 2012, 07:27:50 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: John Henry's open letter to fans
« Reply #1 on: September 3, 2012, 07:17:37 pm »
Bump. Please see note at start of post. Thanks.
Yep.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #2 on: September 3, 2012, 07:22:43 pm »
Reality check. Required reading for reds.

royhendo

« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2012, 07:35:12 pm »
Right-oh Roy.

Regarding deadline day there are so many imponderables that the wisest course for a disappointed Liverpool fan is to hold fire until we know more. Could it be that Fulham were determined to punish Liverpool for their 'tapping up' of Dempsey? Could it be that Liverpool weren't going to be taken for a ride again - as they had been by Newcastle and Sunderland in recent times? I don't know. It's possible and not altogether stupid for the club to refuse to take part in a last-minute auction.

The truly odd thing is that FSG are getting more flak from this than they did when Kenny and Comolli persuaded them to hand over the credit card to meet the absurd prices being asked for Carroll and Henderson. That one I will never understand - even though I kind of like Henderson and think he might mature into a really good player.

But you also talk of the FSG "slumber" and absence of "plans". Is that right? Again, I'd say that's an unreasonably negative rendering of what's been happening.  Fordy (above) might be right in saying that "The Fair Play Rule is just an excuse for them not to deliver", but in reality it's probably more than that. What it certainly isn't is "slumber".

"Certainly" - but you said yourself mate "there are so many imponderables that the wisest course for a disappointed Liverpool fan is to hold fire until we know more". That strictly in relation to deadline day, of course, but again, what makes you certain they're not passively dawdling along, only reacting when the PR goblin rears its head? Because that's the consistent evidence, and it's borne out over a far longer period than just this last week, and is not restricted to LFC.

Regardless, Fulham may well have been irrational in their negotiating stance, but why were LFC people there in the first place if the asking price was never going to be agreed in the first place? The simple answer is to surmise that our men on the ground either didn't know FSG's criteria, or had been given vague guidance as to how the process should work. Otherwise they'd long since have explored other, younger alternatives.

That hints at poor communication and process behind the scenes, something they knew about on day 1, yet haven't addressed with a competent CEO, instead Peter Principle-ing a salesman into a role he's ill-equipped to perform (something painfully illustrated by the Suarez business last season).

So yes, slumber. A context where glaring problems stare them in the face (repeatedly), where solutions are available, but where they take no action unless an incident causes enough of a PR kerfuffle for them to "write an open letter", or whatever else.

For me I see no evidence of a joined up plan, not here or at the Red Sox. That doesn't tally with their reputation. They seem nice enough and I'm sure they want to win, but they're not nearly interventionist and involved enough to nip problems in the bid and plan sensibly.

That goes way beyond this last week - people have been making the same consistent point for a long time now - there's nothing knee jerk about it. Team, structure, staff and stadium. They don't know whether they're coming or going.

All it takes is some simple common sense.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4 on: September 3, 2012, 07:36:22 pm »
Great post by Hij

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2012, 07:43:56 pm »
Henry must have nightmares about big Andy Carroll.  The soft big Geordie hasn't really done anything wrong but has managed to help FSG put themselves in a corner twice on a big scale.   Pity, because it didnt need to be like this on both occasions and not much Carroll could do about it. 

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2012, 07:44:29 pm »
Henry stated himself that they made mistakes and that it was a painful learning lesson for them...

You just have to look at the squad and THE WAY this tranfer window has went to see that something isn´t right in terms of being professional and experienced enough to handle the football related business of a club like LFC. It doesn´t take inside knowledge or rocket science to see that a lot is just not the way it should be..
« Last Edit: September 3, 2012, 07:46:12 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2012, 07:49:26 pm »
We would be stupid not to be cautious and vigilant after the last lot,  the problem is FSG have not made it easy to have faith in them, perhaps this letter and last weekend with people unhappy is a watershed for them and maybe some of us.
 I want to trust them and one day I probably might but they have to work harder to gain that faith in them. I dont want a owner like city have got but i do want owners who are competent and act correctly as the guardians of this club, if they reach that stage  I will be happy.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2012, 07:50:54 pm »
Henry stated himself that they made mistakes and that it was a painful learning lesson for them...

You just have to look at the squad and THE WAY this tranfer window has went to see that something isn´t right in terms of being professional and experienced enough to handle the football related business of a club like LFC. It doesn´t take inside knowledge or rocket science to see that a lot is just not the way it should be..

That's fair comment, but do we give them the time to gain that experience that is specific to running an English Football Club or lambast them for being American (which seems to be one of the main criticisms in the original thread). I think Hij is spot on, but also share Roy's concern that things not everything is right within the club.

It's a choice between cock-up and conspiracy.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2012, 07:54:15 pm »

Someone raised the point that Rodgers had £10m and spent it on Borini. He had the option to spend it on someone else of course, we cannot miss this important point. The money was provided, if he wanted Dempsey then, or a striker he could have gone for them then, but he clearly decided that Borini was more important, that cannot be FSG's fault.

That was a very enjoyable read. I would say the only point I did not fully agree on was the above quote.

It seems to me that FSG have happily sanctioned deals for 21-22 year olds such as Borini and Allen. But from what we are lead to believe, they were reluctant to bid for the 29-year old Dempsey because we would only get 2-seasons out of him.

So it is not necessarily the case that Rodger's prioritised Borini over Suarez, just that the owners were prepared to release the funds for him.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2012, 07:54:51 pm »
Compulsory reading there, Hij. Great post.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #11 on: September 3, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »
Superb OP that mate, thank you.
Lots to consider.

Time for some perspective.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2012, 07:56:01 pm »
I think their plan in theory is the most feasible way of doing things: that they invest their money in youth rather than spend most of the transfer kitty on proven talent. Manchester United got lucky in this respect with Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and the Nevilles, before that they had a few class players like Kanchelskis, Lee Sharpe, Hughes, but never really got anywhere near to challenging for the title. When they did strike gold with their youth, they have challenged for the title ever since, built on that success and hence could afford to spend money on proven quality talent. So we actually have a case study right there. But even then this season they really spent the vast chunk of their transfer money on only two proven talents: Kagawa and Van Persie, and even then they still can't match the spending power of Man city, Chelsea and PSG, whichI believe is why they are advocating FFP, because without FFP, their chances of challenging for the title in the future will decrease.

We should be doing  the same and hope we get lucky, and maybe we might be ready to challenge in 2 or 3 years time, that is if people are willing to wait that long.... with Borini, Assaidi, Allen, Coates, Robinson, Kelly, Sterling, Yesil, Shelvey and Morgan... supplement this with Lucas, Skrtel, Agger, Suarez and if they keep to their word, we are going to try for Sahin in years time, maybe Sturridge or walcott or some other young but proven talent  ....but the key for me is we must have continuity, that is we have to keep Rodgers.

The other alternatives are to get a sugar daddy, which I would not count on... or maybe fan ownership as I and some others would like, but judging from what I see and read on these forums, I don't think we are ready for fan ownership yet, and that is assuming we can even cough up money to buy the club and FSG are willing to sell, and I doubt at the moment we as fans could do a better job at the moment then them anyway.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2012, 08:00:21 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 3, 2012, 07:57:46 pm »
The most worrying aspect is the suggestion (largely it seems from the Times' Tony's) of brinkmanship between manager and owners in recent days. That a Sturridge deal was sanctioned but pulled by Rodgers; that Henderson was offered for Dempsey without the backing of the owners; that Carroll was allowed to leave by Rodgers with the idea of forcing the owners hand on another couple of million (or Henderson).

This all comes back to a point made many times by many posters: the club needs a strong CEO in the UK with the power to make decisions and sanction expenditure.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #14 on: September 3, 2012, 07:58:22 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed this OP. It really gives perspective and everyone on RAWK should read. It should be enshrined at the top of this forum where everyone can click in, read it, and remind themselves down the road when things get tough. Because things may get tougher yet. But we are, undoubtedly, on the right path. Thanks for taking the time to post such an excellent piece. Cheers!
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #15 on: September 3, 2012, 08:00:44 pm »
Apologies but im gonna repeat a couple of points I raised before but I peronally think its quite pertainent...

the first step to overcoming any problem is admitting it exists, and they admited they have made mistakes which very few owners, directors, etc ever do. My fear is that they will over compensate after last summer, from the extreme of massivly overpaying for players not being prepared to chuck in the extra couple of million to get the deal done, paying £7 or 8 Million for Dempsey isnt nearly as bad as £20 million for Downing or £35 million for Carroll. A couple of goals, a slightly longer cup run and Dempsey has already paid for the extra million or two we bulked at.

As pointed out in Kinkys thread, our wages have got out of control, their growth has massivly outpaced our revenue and that simply isnt sustainable. People ask where the Standard Chartered money has gone and its pretty simple, its probably all been going on wages. Our revenue has gone up by about £60 million (50%) over the last 6 years accounts and so has our wage bill (100%), while performance on the pitch has been declining. Thats a very dangerous combination and needs remedied ASAP.

Now, I understand that these two points are slightly contradictory, spend money to get the deal done vs our financial situation, and I guess thats the problem. There is a tightrope the club has to walk at the moment and its not much fun.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #16 on: September 3, 2012, 08:02:51 pm »
That's fair comment, but do we give them the time to gain that experience that is specific to running an English Football Club or lambast them for being American (which seems to be one of the main criticisms in the original thread). I think Hij is spot on, but also share Roy's concern that things not everything is right within the club.

It's a choice between cock-up and conspiracy.
I agree Alan and I think the change seriously required is a highly competent management team, on the corporate, non-footballing side. As for the choice between giving them time or not, I don't think there is much of a choice in fact. These are not the sort of people to invoke hatred in the thinking fan base to the extent that Hicks and Gillett were. It will take much more to get me on to the streets against this lot.

And yes, great post from Hij.

Offline "Bobber" Thanks :)

• But Hicks Is Still A Wanker
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: September 3, 2012, 08:04:58 pm »
We would be stupid not to be cautious and vigilant after the last lot,  the problem is FSG have not made it easy to have faith in them, perhaps this letter and last weekend with people unhappy is a watershed for them and maybe some of us.
 I want to trust them and one day I probably might but they have to work harder to gain that faith in them. I dont want a owner like city have got but i do want owners who are competent and act correctly as the guardians of this club, if they reach that stage  I will be happy.

Disregarding their money, Cities owners have been exemplary. They are just as new to club management.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 3, 2012, 08:07:28 pm »
It's difficult to take Henry at his word when FSG's actions seem to contradict them. I think what FSG really need is a proper managing director based in the UK who has the ultimate sanction on any transfer dealings. He needs to be fully aware of what he is and isn't allowed to spend. This needs to be transparent and completely open to Rodgers as well. Ian Ayre doesn't appear to be the man for that particular role, so we need to find someone experienced who can take us forward.
We can't continue with Henry and Werner calling the shots from 3000 miles away.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 3, 2012, 08:09:26 pm »
Disregarding their money, Cities owners have been exemplary. They are just as new to club management.

You can't really disregard their money though, can you? There's a pretty vast difference between "enough money to buy a football club" and "an unlimited source of money that almost literally spews out of the ground in your backyard." The latter goes a hell of a long way toward making up for a lack of experience in club management, methinks.

Offline runkerry1

• Kopite
    • Whitepark Designs
« Reply #20 on: September 3, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »
Great OP, well worth the read!!

But one thing that gets me everytime I read about FSG, Kennys' sacking and now Rodgers, lack of higher level management in place, is why didn't they at least contact or consider Rafa, after Roys' or Kennys' departure, from were I see it, is that they've basically rolled over, given BR all the control and to a relatively inexperienced manager for a club our size, it's all fair saying people need a chance, and managers need to be backed with money & power.

But then why discount the man/manager that is Rafa, if you're going to afford someone like BR the reigns to our beloved club??

By the way this isn't a sentiment based rant, or Rafa love in, more a broad question as to why he wasn't consulted/considered??

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 3, 2012, 08:10:35 pm »
Thats another point which has me confused. Werner says one thing, but I am not sure whether Henry agrees with him since there is no evidence for or against that he does. So in essence its like having two owners.... who should we look to for leadership? A strong leader would not go amiss and ideally one with a strong base at the club

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #22 on: September 3, 2012, 08:10:46 pm »
Kind of difficult to disregard the money, seen as the ability to manage the finances of a football club is the biggest challenge facing FSG.

I am in favour of the pragmatic long-term approach of Henry and co. I think not bringing in a striker (or two) was a huge mistake, but as he said, this is not about 16 weeks but 16 years and more. If what we have done is shown that we will not be bullied into paying silly money, then in the long term, this will have been a worthwhile action.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #23 on: September 3, 2012, 08:18:45 pm »
Thanks for writing that (op)
No one who went through H&G will fully let their guard down but going mad over every single mistake is not going to help.

Last week after City things were looking good, now I'm hearing about all kinds of crap From Suarez to pizza to some bloke Jean Twitter something or another conducting a propaganda war that would make Goebbles proud.

If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline "Bobber" Thanks :)

• But Hicks Is Still A Wanker
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: September 3, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »
You can't really disregard their money though, can you? There's a pretty vast difference between "enough money to buy a football club" and "an unlimited source of money that almost literally spews out of the ground in your backyard." The latter goes a hell of a long way toward making up for a lack of experience in club management, methinks.

Perhaps it does make it easier, but I was really mainly referring to owner behaviour and decision making when I said disregard the money factor. City have been spotless. Not really any self inflicted bungles that I can think of. I also wonder what really happened behind the scenes with the Torres and Miereles transfers, which a lot of our problems seem to stem from.

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 3, 2012, 08:19:54 pm »
I though this was a great post for someone like me who does get the jargon around finances.

Saul claims they have made us into a real smooth machine in the moneyrooms, but now need to translate that to the pitch.

Seems important here.

I don't think it's particularly hard to work out how the club is now doing in financial terms. The club made an underlying loss in the region of around £30m in the last set of accounts.

The other associated costs of the stadium mean the total write down in the accounts this year is £49m.

While the exceptional costs mean that profits look worse than they should they're offset to a large degree by large profit on sales such as Torres. Why isn't this offset by the spending? It isn't because accounting rules mean spending recognised over contract life, profits on sales immediately. The buying of a player are capitalized and amortized over the life of their contracts.

That all means the club is making an underlying loss in the region of £30m in the last set of accounts. Forget exceptional items this is the figure which points to the clubs health in financial terms.

The rest of this is a very rough overview but I can't see how it will be wildly off. What people need to understand that it will be at least another set of accounts after this years before these things start translating to what I'm putting on the page.

Just take the loss of £30m. TV money is set to increase with people predicting it will give us around an extra £30m in revenue per year. That means the loss gets plugged straight off the bat without us having to do anything.

It means that anything we've done since the last set of accounts should translate to profit in the accounts going forward. When talking in this post I always mean underlying profit. Exceptional payments such as the hiring and firing of a manager are ignored as it's the underlying profit which points to the health of the club over the course of the next 5+ years and beyond. I would suggest given the wage shedding and increased revenue from existing and new streams this should be north of at least £40m going forward.

I'd say in terms of being streamlined as a club we're a supercar of the automotive world. Young vibrant manager, young squad, low wage bill, new revenue streams, bigger TV deals etc. We've been turned from a loss making club into a finely tuned financial machine which will start turning good profits even without CL money. I commend FSG on many of the things they've done but from our current position some foresight is needed into what happens next. By all means clear the decks in the way that has happened but for god sake start the building process.

We need investment now, not in three years time when the club has the money in the bank. I do worry that when guys like FSG trim a company in the way they've done with us surely it's usually for flip and sale purposes? If you're in it for the long haul I fail to see how guys as smart as them don't give more money to the new manager knowing it's a future investment. Naive in soccer terms they may be but not in sporting/investment terms. They know how the level of the wage bill impacts directly on a clubs performance. They know Brendan needed more money than he got this summer. They know our squad isn't big enough. Yet even though they know all this they left our manager hanging.

During the Comolli nonsense I was happy to believe they were navive at worst, or at best incompetent but with good intentions. Now I just worry about what motivates them. Am I really going to believe that guys as smart as John Henry and Tom Werner just keep messing up with good intentions?

It was a little easier to relax when you know in a corner of the club you've a Rafa or a Kenny who you know will make sure the best interest of this club are always served. Who within the club at the kind of level needed do I believe is looking out for Liverpool at the moment? Rodgers? Sure I trust Brendan but he is wet behind the ears and I don't believe he has the clout to get involved in the kind of political battle Rafa suffered, nor should he be asked to at this stage. So who's looking out for us? I just hope FSG are the white knights many of you believe because as far as I can tell, no one is.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 3, 2012, 08:22:38 pm »
David dein be an option? Was talk of it before.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #27 on: September 3, 2012, 08:23:10 pm »
Perhaps it does make it easier, but I was really mainly referring to owner behaviour and decision making when I said disregard the money factor. City have been spotless. Not really any self inflicted bungles that I can think of. I also wonder what really happened with the Torres and Miereles transfers, which a lot of our problems seem to stem from.

if you think about it City have made some bad buys as well, but the money they have allows this to be rectified and perhaps hidden easier than for us, and that is the difference,  in the end what i meant is i dont want owners who can buy a fantasy football team, i want a well run club.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2012, 08:26:00 pm by geoffstrong »
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 3, 2012, 08:24:58 pm »
Perhaps it does make it easier, but I was really mainly referring to owner behaviour and decision making when I said disregard the money factor. City have been spotless. Not really any self inflicted bungles that I can think of. I also wonder what really happened behind the scenes with the Torres and Miereles transfers, which a lot of our problems seem to stem from.

they allowed mark hughes to spend an enormous amount of money on average players - on unprecedented big long contracts. i know you said disregarding the money, but that was a pretty big cock-up.

Offline gandalf50

• Kopite
  • Named "Most Naive poster on Rawk" by L666kop
« Reply #29 on: September 3, 2012, 08:25:21 pm »

That hints at poor communication and process behind the scenes, something they knew about on day 1, yet haven't addressed with a competent CEO, instead Peter Principle-ing a salesman into a role he's ill-equipped to perform (something painfully illustrated by the Suarez business last season).

So yes, slumber. A context where glaring problems stare them in the face (repeatedly), where solutions are available, but where they take no action unless an incident causes enough of a PR kerfuffle for them to "write an open letter", or whatever else.

For me I see no evidence of a joined up plan, not here or at the Red Sox. That doesn't tally with their reputation. They seem nice enough and I'm sure they want to win, but they're not nearly interventionist and involved enough to nip problems in the bid and plan sensibly.

When they bought the club at first they were advised by Billy Beane to hire Commoli and that blew up in their face.

Also, from what other posters have said and by some of their own quotes, they were advised that everything Rafa did was wrong and must be eradicated. The only constant over the past few seasons is that Rafa`s buys have performed consistently well, while everyone else barring Suarez (scouted by Rafa) and sometimes Henderson have performed poorly.

The Managing Director seemingly is in a position he is ill equipped for.But that is partly down to the fact he was very good as head of the commercial department and was promoted based on that work. But he is a business man and not a football administrator.

The other thing that FSG and BR are both to blame for is the lack of a DOF. FSG should have stood their ground on this when offering Rogers the job.
BR can go in front of the cameras and act furious about the deadline day fiasco all he wants. But if he had allowed a DOF to come into the club, then things might be different. From the rumours about the job the DOF would have been responsible for transfers.
We don`t know if Fulham were determined not to sell or maybe even strung us along until it was too late to sign an alternative.
We maybe should have gone an extra million or two. But maybe Fulham were quoting us a larger price than Spurs. But why FSG couldn`t use their former business connections with Fulham to help the deal is beyond me.

FSG have bought a club which had no board members with a deep knowledge of how to run the footballing side of a club properly and have failed to find one. That is why the team has suffered while the business has still grown. This needs to be addressed to move the club forward.

The last point is the constant "we are going to go through a bad patch. But we must back the manager for the long term". That`s an honorable position. But if we end up 15 or 20 games into the league season on a very small points total, a lot of people will question that position.
This isn`t baseball and the only safety net is the one you build for yourself.

There really isn't.  I think a lot of us, even our own have started doubting it. It's time to rise up. And take what is rightfully ours. It's a big mountain, but what is the point in achieving something, which everyone can?

Fate has given us a mountain too big. We have to rise. We have to believe.

fowler9_god

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #30 on: September 3, 2012, 08:25:35 pm »

Garry Cook springs to mind.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 3, 2012, 08:25:46 pm »
Some people just can't accept that the long game is the one FSG want to play. They might accept that for all of 5 mins but it'll only take a shitty loss down the line somewhere, rational thinking flys out the window, and Mr. Whopper will be flying off the handle again.

The scary thing for me (and has been voiced by many) is we have Henry and Werner in charge over in Boston in a 'hands-off' style of running the club and then directly underneath we've got Ayre and then straight to Rodgers over in this country. That's our hierachy. Rodgers aside, we have no real 'football' men making day-to-day decisions and keeping the clubs vision on track. We have Ayre, commercial deals aside, doesn't seem to know his arse from his elbow when it comes to proper football decisions that benefit the club, just look at the new manager search for one , which was questionable at best. Then the deadline day fiasco he must answer for in some capacity. Fucking scary the power this fella has.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 3, 2012, 08:27:28 pm »
I'm by no means against FSG. I believe they've done the right thing in coming in and drastically reducing our wage bill to a much sustainable level - you can't pay CL wages when your in the europa league. I believe they've appointed a manager who has all the tools to be a success.

However, they say they have a plan. They cannot possibly implement this plan properly from Boston, and the people they have left in charge are inadequately experienced in the roles. 2 years in a row they have left transfer negotations down to bloody amateurs and it has cost us both times. They were shamefully invisble in the suarez saga until an article in the NY Times proved them into forcing the club into an embarassing climb down. Is Jen Chang really the answer? I'll leave the stadium saga for another day.

I'm prepared to buy into their plan, if they start taking their duty as LFC owners as seriously as they take their Red Sox duties and put some proper people in charge.
cyas

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 3, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »

They key thing being they have left the running of the club to football men and haven't tried to change the overall structure of how it's run. FSG are still after 2 years finding their feet, and have the appearance of a blind man trying to find his way down a dark alley. The worrying thing for me is what further mistakes will be made to the detriment of the team in pursuit of attaining their ultimate goal, something there's no guarantee of achieving despite their numerous assurances.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2012, 08:29:48 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #34 on: September 3, 2012, 08:28:48 pm »
Have City's owners really been exemplary? They set a lot of store in Garry Cook who is a boorish twat and they have spunked enormous amounts of money up the wall on players before they eventually made some good signings. If it wasn't for their unlimited supply of money, they would be a basket case. Look at all the players they have on astronomical wages who they can't get rid of? Joe Cole is a drop in the ocean compared to their fuck ups.
They had the luxury of being enormously profligate and wasteful on their journey towards contention for the league. We don't have that luxury, but our way is how to run a proper football club. And will hopefully make success all the more sweet ultimately.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 3, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »
They key thing being they have left the running of the club to football men and haven't tried to change the overall structure of how it's run. FSG are still after 2 years finding their feet, and have the appearance of a blind man trying to find his way down a dark alley. The worrying thing for me is what further mistakes will be made, to the detriment of the team in pursuit of attaining their ultimate goal, something there's no guarantee of achieving despite their numerous assurances.

And what would mancini's opinion be if they hadn't spunked about £50m on transfers last Friday? Why on earth does a club with the financial clout and obvious draw to new players wait until the final day to do all that business? You can't just "disregard" the money.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #36 on: September 3, 2012, 08:31:52 pm »
Its a dilemma for me personally and perhaps for others. On the one hand the OP addresses many of the concerns Ive had over the ownership and how they are perhaps trying to be sensible and take responsibility but then there is the other side that thinks for the sake of a million here and there whats the big deal ?
Many, more intelligent posters than myself, make compelling arguments for both sides of the coin, I guess we'll have to just wait and see. Thats all we can do really. When the times right to act im sure we will.
The rest is just bluster and speculation I guess.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 3, 2012, 08:32:40 pm »
Something I said earlier.

FSG I think have just learnt in possibly the most painful way possible that you can have all the strategy in the world but without a competent executor it won't mean a thing. I see that with us on the pitch in regards to a clinical striker and off the pitch in regards to the so called "football man" in their echelons of management.

I agree with Royhendo. When affording FSG patience, which we seem to do a lot of and varying premises it seems during 2012, the evidence to support they deserve it can be viewed in a few ways. Economic prudence and attempting to steady the ship should be applauded. Many institutions have pissed away money with absolute disregard for the future and have suffered the consequences. FSG sort of sing their own praises telling us what they've done and what deals are coming in to the coffers. Great. Well done and sincerely most fans should be grateful.

So why leave such holes in the management? We hear of the comms side and commercials etc getting new personnel and we have the RAWK favourite of where is the "football" advice coming from? This side does seem lacking in clarity and especially a frank and transparent structure. In simplicity we have a Manager. He reports to, we assume, the MD Ian Ayre who in turn reports to JWH/Tom Werner. Is there a bonafide organisational structure showing the chain of command? It's not uncommon to our owners and their histories. Most firms they've been associated with have one.

I know we are supposed to feel solace in John W Henry's statement of "It has been compounded by our own mistakes in a difficult first two years of ownership. It has been a harsh education, but make no mistake, the club is healthier today than when we took over". But I kind of don't. Again financially I think they'll be shown to be doing a sterling job once we are seeing the fruits of their labour and accounting POST the old era no longer being the blot on the landscape but what about the direction on the pitch?

So we have Brendan Rodgers. So far his impression is one of a honest fella who has a desire to play a manner of football which will make us proud. A firm tick in the box in regards to one of the aspects associated with direction on the pitch. And to support that footballing vision we have...

...Ian Ayre. MD. I know Brendan said it would be his way hence no DoF etc but then whomever FSG use as football consultant(s) must kindly stand up and let them know why, for all the financial prudence in the world, knowing when and where to spend rather than only where to save. That may seem a little unfair but then it does seem strange that there is a lot of smoke bellowing out from FSG's campfire around money in and money saved.

It's not too unfair though to assume that they would have asked Kenny to powerpoint his way through where he saw us going and how we were going to get there. FSG then seeing this as not really matching what they wanted and using the empricial evidence before them to choose another way. As supporters where is ours? where is the evidence that the FSG powerpoint showing the direction they want the club to go is actually going the right way?

All we have is a view for patience and sort of "Trust me, I got this". In the words of JWH

"We are still in the process of reversing the errors of previous regimes. It will not happen overnight,"

"After almost two years at Anfield, we are close to having the system we need in place,"

"The transfer window may not have been perfect but we are not just looking at the next 16 weeks until we can buy again: we are looking at the next 16 years and beyond. These are the first steps in restoring one of the world's great clubs to its proper status.

"It will not be easy, it will not be perfect, but there is a clear vision at work."

So I opt for this patience and trust and am missing pieces. Pieces that make me believe them just that little more. That's not to say they have left me in disbelief and no faith in them. Far from it. It just leaves me with gaps that cloud that clear vision at work...simply because it doesn't appear to be very clear
« Last Edit: September 3, 2012, 08:35:35 pm by Harinder »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #38 on: September 3, 2012, 08:32:53 pm »
I think the fans have every right to be nervous and suspicious of FSG, once bitten and all that, but its human nature. For example if you were bit on the arse by a Doberman last year, you wouldnt stroke the same type of dog if you seen one in the street today! Now that dog could be a friendly fella, but because in your mind you associate Dobermans with a nip on the rump, then automatically you are nervous of the same thing happening again.

Ultimately I believe the problem lies with one person - Ian Ayre. As a businessman and finance expert he is very good at this job, but when it comes to football he's a fool who in my opinion is way out of his depth.
I sensed this a while back, especially in the fallout of the Suarez saga with Ayre playing the Billy Big Bollocks and issuing statements.

We need a figurehead as CEO who knows the English game, a sensible, but powerful person who is no pushover, someone highly experienced working in a big club. If we can/want to get one remains to be seen.

Lastly, do I trust FSG to continue to be the best custodians of my club? Yes - for now. Honesty is the best policy and I geniunely believe JWH is being completely honest with us. They admit they have made mistakes and that takes a bit of courage in my book.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline NotBeenInAigburthSince2008

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: September 3, 2012, 08:33:54 pm »
Thankfully some sanity at last.

Rightly or wrongly remains to be seen but I trust FSG and I trust Brendan Rodgers. Just a gut feeling. But patience is going to be needed.

I think anyone comparing FSG to H&G needs to step outside for some air. So many of us said that all we wanted post H&G was owners who would let the club stand on its own two feet. Looks to me like that's what they're trying to do.