Author Topic: Local Elections May 4th 2017  (Read 21135 times)

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Local Elections May 4th 2017
« Reply #160 on: May 5, 2017, 03:46:29 pm »
Just think about that.... that would be 30 seats worse than Michael foot ... and you think he'd cling on ... and you'd probably be right.
180 would require quite a few more English seats than Foot won (when the party still dominated Wales and did well in Scotland), which is why I think it's horribly optimistic. At the moment, I wouldn't be surprised by anything in the 140-160 range.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: May 5, 2017, 03:47:47 pm »
The areas voting this time were largely Tory though weren't they?

Labour do have to win in those areas to win the GE and there have been some very bad results but it's not the end of the world.

The Tories gained Derbyshire from Labour and they gained Lancashire from NOC (Labour had the most seats in 2013). Northumberland, Cumbria and Nottinghamshire are all NOC, but Labour doesn't even have the most seats in those councils now. Just shit results for Labour everywhere you look.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #162 on: May 5, 2017, 03:48:29 pm »
Most of that vote share goes to left and centre parties. That is on top of a turnout that is also going to be higher with the sorts of people that will vote Tory (the old). If you factor in likely Labour to Tory votes on account of Corbyn, the idea that the country has shifted right and its basically the end for centre and left of centre parties is clearly a bit mad.

There are the voter base out there for Labour. Too bad its utterly useless.

Honestly I have no idea how the country breaks down left and right. I'm just saying these are terrible results for the centre and left and point to a massive landslide for the right in a month. Beyond that I have no clue

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #163 on: May 5, 2017, 03:48:43 pm »
180 would require quite a few more English seats than Foot won (when the party still dominated Wales and did well in Scotland), which is why I think it's horribly optimistic. At the moment, I wouldn't be surprised by anything in the 140-160 range.
Agree that's the likely number as there'll be 0 in Scotland and probably around 20 in Wales
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #164 on: May 5, 2017, 03:51:50 pm »
The areas voting this time were largely Tory though weren't they?

Labour do have to win in those areas to win the GE and there have been some very bad results but it's not the end of the world.
Not the end of the World, the Tories are going to get a huge majority to do exactly as they please and nobody will be able to stop them.  It may not be the actual end of the world but it's not far off, look what's happening with North Korea now the lunatic is in charge of the Assylum
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #165 on: May 5, 2017, 03:53:21 pm »
Not the end of the World, the Tories are going to get a huge majority to do exactly as they please and nobody will be able to stop them.  It may not be the actual end of the world but it's not far off, look what's happening with North Korea now the lunatic is in charge of the Assylum

You're assuming that these results mean that the Tories are going to win the GE. That might be the end of the world but we're not there yet.
Legacy fan

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #166 on: May 5, 2017, 03:53:39 pm »
I know these were local elections but those turnout figures are a tragic indictment of the lack of political engagement in the UK.

Yeah. On the bright side, if other places get more used to it as London has done then turnout and engagement should rise. (London was up to 45% turnout last year). Also glass half-full is that predictions were for turnout to be as low as 15%, as has happened for other new elections. Just hope these new mayors are able to be effective on the concerns people have rather than just ending up as being show pony positions.

---

Burnham's just been announced as Mayor of Manchester. And as it's early, I'm going to guess he got over 50% of the vote.

edit: yeah, 63.4% of the vote. 200k more than the Tory.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2017, 03:56:10 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 5, 2017, 03:53:59 pm »
You're assuming that these results mean that the Tories are going to win the GE. That might be the end of the world but we're not there yet.

Surely you don't think otherwise?

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #168 on: May 5, 2017, 03:54:15 pm »
Anyone expecting much LD success against a big Tory swing would seem seriously misled. General Election may well be equally free of joy for the LDs for similar reasons. (That projected national share is comparable to Thatcher in 1983 and 1987.)

Some other factors in play though.

Lib Dem vote was seriously squeezed in 2015 - they lost many seats which were really strong liberal areas. Partly due to coalition effect (won't be much of an issue this time), partly Tory strategy of targetting seats to avoid a SNP-dominated Labour government - no such fears this time as Tories will win easily.

Add Brexit and collapsing Labour vote and opportunities are there.

The Tory-UKIP merger is the killer though, could well limit the gains.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 5, 2017, 03:54:38 pm »
What I don't understand, and I'm by no means an expert on Politics, but nearly everyone and everywhere I go, people hate the Tories - so how are they managing to get all these votes? Is it just that people aren't voting? Is the opposition vote being spread across too many other parties?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 5, 2017, 03:56:35 pm »
What I don't understand, and I'm by no means an expert on Politics, but nearly everyone and everywhere I go, people hate the Tories - so how are they managing to get all these votes? Is it just that people aren't voting? Is the opposition vote being spread across too many other parties?
Most people who talk about politics hate the Tories.

Many people who don't talk about politics vote Tory.

The vast majority of people don't talk about politics.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #171 on: May 5, 2017, 03:57:55 pm »

The thing is, if people aren't enthused enough to vote Labour locally they're probably not going to be enthused enough to vote for them at the General Election. People tend to vote in local elections in a similar way to they vote at the General.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #172 on: May 5, 2017, 03:59:54 pm »

Tories are a shower of c*nts, voted for by c*nts.

They might be deluded selfish c*nts or just ignorant c*nts. Either way they are still c*nts.*

*My degree did not go to waste in composing that gem of inspiration and insight.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 5, 2017, 04:04:35 pm »
The Tories won a seat in Ferguslie Park in Paisley, the most deprived ward in the UK apparently.  :o :no

In case anyone wasn't aware Scotland uses multimember wards using STV so the Tories weren't the biggest party, he sneaked in as the last member out of 4.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #174 on: May 5, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »
The thing is, if people aren't enthused enough to vote Labour locally they're probably not going to be enthused enough to vote for them at the General Election. People tend to vote in local elections in a similar way to they vote at the General.

Local elections always have poor turnouts compared to general elections don't they? Whether that is a comfort or not I'm not sure
Legacy fan

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #175 on: May 5, 2017, 04:10:20 pm »
Local elections always have poor turnouts compared to general elections don't they? Whether that is a comfort or not I'm not sure

It's clearly different in England. I'm from Northern Ireland and the turnout is usally much higher at local elections than 25% if I recall correctly.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: May 5, 2017, 04:11:22 pm »
Only 5000 votes in the West Mids Mayoral gig. Conservatives in the lead at the moment.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #177 on: May 5, 2017, 04:12:01 pm »
Tories tend to be tight bastards that don't spend on services. They tend to get less votes locally than nationally, as people like their local services. The likelihood is that the local showing is stronger than can be expected at the general next month.

Labour are getting towards pity fuck territory. The Tories have polled so strongly that there is the risk of the electorate shying away from giving them a stonking majority. Labour's saving grace may be just how pathetic they were these elections.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #178 on: May 5, 2017, 04:15:54 pm »
Tories tend to be tight bastards that don't spend on services. They tend to get less votes locally than nationally, as people like their local services. The likelihood is that the local showing is stronger than can be expected at the general next month.

Labour are getting towards pity fuck territory. The Tories have polled so strongly that there is the risk of the electorate shying away from giving them a stonking majority. Labour's saving grace may be just how pathetic they were these elections.

I think the opposite. I think lots of people who might have voted Labour will actually choose not to because they think it's pointless or just don't want to be associated with such a sad bunch of embarrassing fucking losers.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #179 on: May 5, 2017, 04:17:13 pm »
I think the opposite. I think lots of people who might have voted Labour will actually choose not to because they think it's pointless or just don't want to be associated with such a sad bunch of embarrassing fucking losers.

That didn't seem to hold UKIP back until now
Legacy fan

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 5, 2017, 04:19:39 pm »

Or does UKIP represent the transition from charismatic Frottage to the embarrassing fucking loser meff. Without the figurehead glossing over the lunatics, they are polling truly.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #181 on: May 5, 2017, 04:20:09 pm »

I'm being serious. A lot of people are going to be embarrassed to say they voted for Corbyn's Labour. Its not going to determine how I vote, but I'm going to be genuinely ashamed when I have to tell people I voted for this clusterfuc of a party.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #182 on: May 5, 2017, 04:23:22 pm »
Or does UKIP represent the transition from charismatic Frottage to the embarrassing fucking loser meff. Without the figurehead glossing over the lunatics, they are polling truly.

So Nuttall is now, officially, the "Embarrassing fucking loser bad Bootle meff"?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 5, 2017, 04:27:14 pm »
Just seen the Tories got 20% of the Liverpool metro mayoral vote, fuck me thats bad for labour

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #184 on: May 5, 2017, 04:27:36 pm »
I'm being serious. A lot of people are going to be embarrassed to say they voted for Corbyn's Labour. Its not going to determine how I vote, but I'm going to be genuinely ashamed when I have to tell people I voted for this clusterfuc of a party.

I don't really get that, voting Labour is nothing to be ashamed of. Voting Tory is something to be ashamed of, or voting Lib Dem in 2010 and getting the Tories. I'd never leave the house again if I'd done that.
Legacy fan

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #185 on: May 5, 2017, 04:28:03 pm »
Seems a lot of the experts are saying it isn't as bad as it looks

If people voted the same way in the General election Tories would have about a 40 seat majority.

So still plenty of time to turn it around and a lot more people will vote in the general election of course.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #186 on: May 5, 2017, 04:28:14 pm »
Just seen the Tories got 20% of the Liverpool metro mayoral vote, fuck me thats bad for labour

It's not when you think of the area covered, lots and lots of Tories hidden away out there.
Legacy fan

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #187 on: May 5, 2017, 04:29:46 pm »
Seems a lot of the experts are saying it isn't as bad as it looks

If people voted the same way in the General election Tories would have about a 40 seat majority.

So still plenty of time to turn it around and a lot more people will vote in the general election of course.

Which experts? Edit Sky News are saying 48 with these figures.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2017, 04:33:10 pm by Jonny-B »

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 5, 2017, 04:35:50 pm »
I don't really get that, voting Labour is nothing to be ashamed of. Voting Tory is something to be ashamed of, or voting Lib Dem in 2010 and getting the Tories. I'd never leave the house again if I'd done that.
really? Voting for this lot in charge of labour is absolutely embarrassing, on a par with voting Tory in 1997 or an American who voted for bush the second time

It's not when you think of the area covered, lots and lots of Tories hidden away out there.
Was a 1% swing to Tory which isn't good seeing as this region is a labour/Corbyn stronghold

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: May 5, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »
Which experts? Edit Sky News are saying 48 with these figures.

Current working majority is 17.  The Tories will gain more than 15 seats.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: May 5, 2017, 04:44:59 pm »
Was a 1% swing to Tory which isn't good seeing as this region is a labour/Corbyn stronghold

What's more surprising is how pathetic the Lib Dem vote was

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #191 on: May 5, 2017, 04:46:29 pm »
really? Voting for this lot in charge of labour is absolutely embarrassing, on a par with voting Tory in 1997 or an American who voted for bush the second time

Not as bad as voting for Trump though

As well as Tory Tories there are also some UKIPs about who presumably went off and voted Tory this time.

What's more surprising is how pathetic the Lib Dem vote was

Given that part of the area has a Lib Dem MP and the lib dems have support in Liverpool as well
Legacy fan

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: May 5, 2017, 04:46:32 pm »

Not voting for 'this lot' though. Voting for my local Labour MP. And a huge Tory majority isn't good for anyone even with Corbyn in charge (which hopefully he won't be soon enough).

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #193 on: May 5, 2017, 04:47:31 pm »

I think it is something to be ashamed of (in a personal sense). Corbyn is not only grossly incompetent but morally repugnant in my view. Having spent two years slating him, I'm going to put a tick next to Labour's name and essentially say "this is alright."

I'd be voting Lib Dem if I didn't feel loyalty to my Labour MP. No doubt about it.

Tories win the West Midlands btw. Corbynism.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2017, 04:50:01 pm by TravisBickle »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: May 5, 2017, 04:48:33 pm »
Conservatives win the West Midlands Mayoral gig by just 4000 votes.

Thats a big'un.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: May 5, 2017, 04:48:44 pm »
Not voting for 'this lot' though. Voting for my local Labour MP. And a huge Tory majority isn't good for anyone even with Corbyn in charge (which hopefully he won't be soon enough).
true, can see if you have a good constituency MP

Thats a big'un.

But it's still not that bad...

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #196 on: May 5, 2017, 04:49:45 pm »

Thats a big'un.

Is that where the Tory candidate spent £1m in the period before the spending restrictions came in?
Legacy fan

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: May 5, 2017, 04:50:05 pm »
Is that where the Tory candidate spent £1m in the period before the spending restrictions came in?

Yep.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 5, 2017, 04:53:15 pm »
It was fine for him to do that, if labour were smart they'd have done the same what with all those membership subs, so can't moan about it

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 5, 2017, 04:54:29 pm »
55k votes for Lib Dems and Greens voting for each other in 2nd choices. Fucking hell, if only a proportion of those voted for Labour, Labour would be in.

Another example of too many choices for centre through to the left. Desperately need a Labour party to appeal to these different parties. The votes are there and just any semblance of a strong party and Labour would be sweeping in all over the board.

« Last Edit: May 5, 2017, 04:56:45 pm by killer_heels »