Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1801760 times)

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
Liverpool's Midfield
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:38:02 am »
With the revelation of Coutinho in a deeper midfield role & Gerrard in the DM role working successfully against Everton it had me thinking.

What 3 man midfield combination do you prefer or would prefer to see?

There is the Lucas, Allen, Henderson thread which makes a strong case for that trio. Perhaps it lacks creativity but offers control.
The trio against Everton perhaps lacks control but offers a killer counter attack & creativity in abundance.
Would you choose neither & mix & match to have both control & creativity. What personnel best offers that?
Rotation is the obvious answer. How would you rotate between say an Arsenal & a Fulham.

Over to you RAWK tacticians...

« Last Edit: February 5, 2015, 09:26:12 am by Livo.85 »

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool's Best Midfield Combination?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:44:17 am »
-----Gerrard---
Coutinho---Allen

*Ducks*

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:49:22 am »
-----Gerrard---
Coutinho---Allen

*Ducks*
Sold on Gerrard as a DM?

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:49:50 am »
whoever is fit and hungry
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:51:26 am »
whoever is fit and hungry
If they ALL are?

Offline TXRed

• Anny Roader
  • Just a Bible-thumpin' Liverpool-lovin' Yank
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 05:55:09 am »
------Allen-----
Gerrard---Henderson
-----Coutinho-----

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 05:57:17 am »
Lucas ,Allen and Hendo offer a lot of control and pressing so they can do the job against big teams away from home. There performance vs Spurs and City was very good.

At home against poor teams we can play with Allen, Hendo and Gerrard. Allen to help play the ball from the back and Hendo and Gerrard offer creativity. 

Coutinho can play there as well when Lucas is out so we still maintain 4 able and fit bodies available when Lucas is out.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 05:57:37 am »
Horses for courses.

If we want to press the opposition with added quality possession, then Lucas-Allen-Henderson.

If we want to sit deep and hit teams in the spaces behind their defence, then Gerrard-Coutinho-Henderson

If we know that the other team will park the bus, and we need to hold the ball, switch play, probe intelligently and create chances from set pieces, then probably Lucas-Gerrard-Coutinho.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 06:02:44 am »
Sold on Gerrard as a DM?
Eh, I don't know. In my mind he wouldn't be really playing DM but just getting extra time on the ball. I'm not sure it would actually work long term with both Gerrard deepest and Coutinho in midfield, but I'm never going to bench Allen :).

In all seriousness, I think those three are our three best midfielders. I'm not sure if they can make a cohesive midfield together, but, on paper at least, it works better than Gerrard-Henderson-Coutinho, and that worked out okay Tuesday!

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 06:03:36 am »
Horses for courses.

If we want to press the opposition with added quality possession, then Lucas-Allen-Henderson.

If we want to sit deep and hit teams in the spaces behind their defence, then Gerrard-Coutinho-Henderson

If we know that the other team will park the bus, and we need to hold the ball, switch play, probe intelligently and create chances from set pieces, then probably Lucas-Gerrard-Coutinho.

This. The derby was case in point after the Villa match. Really all depends.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 06:15:19 am »
Horses for courses.

Best approach against Arsenal since it's relevant twice in the near future?
Gerrard, Allen & Henderson in a 2-1?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:17:39 am by Livo.85 »

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 06:24:11 am »
Xabi Masch Stevie - best midfield in the world ;)

Hmm...

I reckon Coutinho Lucas Gerrard (but not sure I want Gerrard on for 90 mins every game)

I like Suso also

Offline Nosss

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 06:32:12 am »
-----Gerrard---
Coutinho---Allen

*Ducks*

Would love to see this at some stage.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 08:12:18 am »
Horses for courses.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline TheBestSideDrew

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 08:28:49 am »
I wonder how Coutinho slightly in front of Allen and Henderson would look.
I like the idea of Henderson buzzing around Allen with Coutinho looking to join that activity to the lads up front.

..May be without a little metal against the bigger (in every sense) teams?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 09:06:13 am »
With the revelation of Coutinho in a deeper midfield role & Gerrard in the DM role working successfully against Everton it had me thinking.

What 3 man midfield combination do you prefer or would prefer to see?

There is the Lucas, Allen, Henderson thread which makes a strong case for that trio.

Combo of reading the above thread along with the Gerrard/Allen threads will answer your question re where posters lay their hat on this question.  Stuff in there will simply be repeated in here.

Offline liverpoolfan1

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 09:17:23 am »
Depends on the type of game really. With Lucas out both Allen and Gerrard who can play the deep lying role in a 4-3-3 formation. If it is a game against lower-mid table opposition at home I would look at something like this:

Gerrard
Coutinho Hendo

However against Arsenal for example where we will need to be more disciplined in the middle and play a pressing game I would even take Coutinho out of the side and play:

Gerrard
Allen Hendo

And at the same time (as unthinkable as it may sound) benching Gerrard in some games may also be useful:

Allen
Coutinho Hendo
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are."

Bill Shankly

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:53 am »
Gerrard
Allen-Hendo

Gerrard
Allen-Coutinho.

Both have quality and different benefits. An horses for courses situation, but these 2 would be my preferred, game dependant.
YNWA

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 10:28:45 am »
Lucas - Henderson - Allen/Coutinho for me.

My impression watching us this season is that we could be a tiny tad bit individualistic at times and with this midfield we set the tone of team work and pressing in unison.

If we want to build our game from the back than for me Lucas is superior option to Gerrard in that regard and if we want to launch the ball forward quickly and play on the counter than Gerrard is a better option, it`s all about how people want us play.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 10:38:08 am »
Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson.

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 10:42:21 am »
Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson.

Ahh I thought the thread was a breath of fresh air, with no one suggesting a midfield with BOTH Gerrard and Lucas in.

This is easily the worst midfield combination available im afraid, but its your shout.

Thankfully for my piece of mind, your only a fan though.
YNWA

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:57 am »
Ahh I thought the thread was a breath of fresh air, with no one suggesting a midfield with BOTH Gerrard and Lucas in.

This is easily the worst midfield combination available im afraid, but its your shout.

Thankfully for my piece of mind, your only a fan though.
And for my peace of mind, you're wrong, regardless of your occupation.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:45:31 am by Anywhichwayucan »

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 11:14:37 am »
Henderson, Allen, Coutinho. Press high, get Coutinho on the ball with the opposition still on the transition and have the front 3 making runs in behind. Might be a problem defensively against better teams but can see us hammering lower/midtable teams like stoke, sunderland, manchester united with the energy levels of that midfield.

Offline Liverbird27

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 11:24:08 am »
If Gerrard continues to play in DM, more often than not, we'd need both Hendo/Allen ahead of him.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 11:46:28 am »
If everyone is fit, then the first choice midfield for me would be Lucas holding with Allen and Henderson ahead pressing in a 1-2 set up. The total destruction of Spurs and the way that they held their own vs City shows how well they work together. I think that they are by far our best 3 man midfield combination with everyone carrying their own weight.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:48:11 am by LFC_when_it_suits »

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 12:23:57 pm »
If everyone is fit, then the first choice midfield for me would be Lucas holding with Allen and Henderson ahead pressing in a 1-2 set up. The total destruction of Spurs and the way that they held their own vs City shows how well they work together.

What about Chelsea?

What about the Everton game?

All POP said - Horses for courses.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 01:15:01 pm »
I think we should be playing a three man, 1-2 midfield every match, as for personnel, I see it as something like this...

--------- Lucas/Gerrard ---------

Henderson ---- Allen/Coutinho

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:05 pm »
IMO:

----------Gerrard/Lucas
----Gerrard/Lucas---Henderson

I like Allen and he can fill in for any of those players bringing his own strengths, but I think he needs a longer run in the team before I'd put him ahead of any of them. If we were in Europe and playing in the quarters against a Dortmund or something, I'd be picking that midfield, basically.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 01:42:40 pm »
Lucas should be first pick. I woud like to see Lucas-Henderson-Coutinho.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 02:32:35 pm »
Gerrard Henderson Allen

Agree, it is horses for courses mind so we may well see Coutinho as the most advanced of the 3, given his display in the Demolition Derby.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 02:37:18 pm »
Henderson Henderson Henderson

the new carragher.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 02:42:10 pm »
What about Chelsea?

What about the Everton game?

All POP said - Horses for courses.

The Chelsea game, I would have changed it up because it was our 3rd game in a week, and both Allen and Henderson went into the game injured. As for the Everton game, if we are going to drop deep and play defensive and try to hit teams on the counter, in the manner of Hodgson's England, then bring Gerrard in for that. But realistically, I don't see us playing that way on a consistent basis.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:56:12 pm by LFC_when_it_suits »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 02:46:58 pm »
As for the Everton game, if we are going to drop deep and play defensive and try to hit teams on the counter, in a Hodgsonesqe manner, then bring Gerrard in for that.

So now Everton 4-0 was akin to us playing under Hodgson?  Remind me, when did we tonk Everton 4-0 while sitting 4th under Hodgson?

That's just the stuff of a proper weapon.  There's no way can you support this club with that sort of bitterness.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 02:49:04 pm »
As for the Everton game, if we are going to drop deep and play defensive and try to hit teams on the counter, in a Hodgsonesqe manner, then bring Gerrard in for that.

How the fuck can you liken the Derby to any of our performances under Hodgson. So what, we played well on the counter and defended well. You really think Hosgson would have played a team that attacking.

You are a bit of a joke lad.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:51:01 pm by JTK »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 02:51:04 pm »
So now Everton 4-0 was akin to us playing under Hodgson?  Remind me, when did we tonk Everton 4-0 while sitting 4th under Hodgson?

That's just the stuff of a proper weapon.  There's no way can you support this club with that sort of bitterness.

How the fuck can you liken the Derby to any of our performances under Hodgson. So what, we played well on the counter and defended well. You really think Hosgson would have played a team that attacking.

Not likening it to our performances under Hodgson. I am likening it to the set up that Hodgson uses for England which Gerrard has had success playing in. Gerrard has been Enlgand's best player in that set up under Hodgson. There is nothing wrong with playing counter attacking football.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:53:22 pm by LFC_when_it_suits »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 02:51:49 pm »
The Chelsea game, I would have changed it up because it was our 3rd game in a week, and both Allen and Henderson went into the game injured. As for the Everton game, if we are going to drop deep and play defensive and try to hit teams on the counter, in a Hodgsonesqe manner, then bring Gerrard in for that. But realistically, I don't see us playing that way on a consistent basis.
Out of all the bollocks you have written on this site, that is the biggest load of bollocks.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 02:58:41 pm »
Not likening it to our performances under Hodgson. I am likening it to the set up that Hodgson uses for England which Gerrard has had success playing in.

Basically Gerrard plays the holding role for England so you think the system we played is the same. Alright.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 03:02:46 pm »
Horses for courses.

What I was going to write. I think the counter attacking version that we saw on Tuesday is something I wasn't expecting from Brendan when he came to us. I expected his death by football approach as regularly as he did it with Swansea. Either through necessity (how to accomodate Gerrard and Skrtel) or through opportunity (SAS and Sterling) he has been pragmatic about the counter.

Also,  i think he has learned from Mourinho who uses the counter late in matches. I remember Mourinho throwing on Damien Duff and Joe Cole late in matches to run at tired defenders. Brendan has tried that with us late in matches when we have the lead, having our defenders sit back and create space further up the pitch for the counter. i am not surprised that Chelsea has gazzumped us to William and Salah, both managers are looking for speed for the counter.

I agrre that Brendan will play around with his midfield when he has more of them healthy. Having differing midfield combinations will help us next season in Europe as well:)
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 03:03:55 pm »
Basically Gerrard plays the holding role for England so you think the system we played is the same. Alright.

The system we played is similar to the way Hodgson sets up his England team Mourinho is another one who plays like that in big games, only he takes less chances. We conceded possession to the opposition and sat deep and went direct and hit them on the counter. There is nothing wrong playing that way. If we are going to play that way, then I would play Gerrard. Either way, I don't we will concede that much possession to the opposition many more times this season. That's why Allen/Lucas/Henderson is our best trio for me.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:05:39 pm by LFC_when_it_suits »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 03:09:46 pm »
The system we played is similar to the way Hodgson sets up his England team Mourinho is another one who plays like that in big games, only he takes less chances. We conceded possession to the opposition and sat deep and went direct and hit them on the counter. There is nothing wrong playing that way. If we are going to play that way, then I would play Gerrard. Either way, I don't we will concede that much possession to the opposition many more times this season. That's why Allen/Lucas/Henderson is our best trio for me.

They are in no way the same - except superficially.
Better looking than Samie.