Author Topic: Cable/sat tv boxes  (Read 551053 times)

Offline griffic

• Anny Roader
Re: Dodgy cable boxes
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2011, 11:48:00 am »
Best to ask for a free 24 hour try first

Lots to try on the Euro Kings site.

Mate - that one you gotta go searching for  ;D

http://euro-kings.com/vb/forum.php good start

Cheers for the info boys, will have a scout round their today.

Have you got a seperate dish or are you just hooking up to an existing Sky dish?

Just got it hooked up to the sky dish.   Living in rented house at the moment so don't want to be putting up a new dish.

If this all goes well will definately go down the motorised dish router when we get our own place, which will be soon hopefully.

Anyway I set the new box up last night just to use as freeview for now, and I pretty impressed with it.  Picture quality is very good both SD and HD and menus EPG are straight forward and easy to use. 

The wife is most impressed that it has Snake from the old nokias on. So had a good evening watching the missus play that on a 42" screen :butt

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2011, 11:51:37 am »
;D

Keep me updated on how it goes, I'm really intrigued by it all but a quick look around some of those forums it looks like a bit of a minefield.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:27 am »
;D

Keep me updated on how it goes, I'm really intrigued by it all but a quick look around some of those forums it looks like a bit of a minefield.

I was at first too. Much googling and pics later found a way forward. Will post up newbie guide later this eve which details what I went through and can get someone up and running at the very least

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2011, 11:59:31 am »
Excellent :)

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »
Another question I'd have is do any of these boxes support streaming, if it were to be plugged into my router at home, could a device such as my laptop pick up a stream from it.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »
Another question I'd have is do any of these boxes support streaming, if it were to be plugged into my router at home, could a device such as my laptop pick up a stream from it.

not sure about other boxes but you can on a dm800, most of these boxes run enigma 2 software so i can't see why it wouldn't work on them, the dreambox webcontrol is ok for streaming to other pc's or laptops on your home network (hd can be a bit glitchy) but the bitrate it too high for streaming over the internet, it's possible to stream over the internet using vlc to re-encode the stream but i've never got it working right

you can also use the webcontrol to record direct to your pc's hdd

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2011, 02:04:53 pm »
not sure about other boxes but you can on a dm800, most of these boxes run enigma 2 software so i can't see why it wouldn't work on them, the dreambox webcontrol is ok for streaming to other pc's or laptops on your home network (hd can be a bit glitchy) but the bitrate it too high for streaming over the internet, it's possible to stream over the internet using vlc to re-encode the stream but i've never got it working right

you can also use the webcontrol to record direct to your pc's hdd

Just wonder if there is a program you can use say when you are away from home at a hotel with an Internet connection you can log into your Dreambox at home and use it to watch programs and change channels I was hoping you could do that with webcontrol.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2011, 02:13:15 pm »
Just wonder if there is a program you can use say when you are away from home at a hotel with an Internet connection you can log into your Dreambox at home and use it to watch programs and change channels I was hoping you could do that with webcontrol.

I know you can certainly change the channel remotely. I think you can watch programmes too, but this may depend on the particular Dreambox model, and I wouldn't know anything about it myself.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:11 pm »

the stream from the webcontrol isn't compressed so the bitrate is too high for streaming unless you have high upstream bandwidth which is unlikely with a uk isp, i've tried accessing my box from work and could change channel ok but couldn't stream it, it's possible using vlc and there's a guy on digital kaos who's written a couple of programs for streaming & viewing but i've not been able to get it working, the only problem with these is you'd need your pc running while you're away from home

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2011, 02:23:45 pm »
What kind of bandwidth is needed for SD and HD streaming?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2011, 02:51:00 pm »
i'm not sure

the direct stream from the box is very high and i have problems streaming hd channels to my pc over a wired network, sd works fine though as i use this a lot if there's a something i want to watch on and i want to play ps3 at the same time

for streaming over the internet you can set the bitrate in vlc and make the video as small as you want so your bandwidth can handle it, i'm playing around with it now but i'm not 100% sure what i'm doing ;) plus i need to figure out which ports need fowarding

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2011, 05:14:43 pm »
Anyone got an Abu Dhabi Sports Box? Opinions?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »
Guide. Long for some, maybe short for others  ;D

First things first - without Fish77/Trada/Teapot the below wouldn't be possible as they are the pioneers here on this. I just took interest and did the below. It's not the only way to skin this cat but it's a way that worked for me and should for any first timer coming into this. I can't support anyone but will help where poss on setup questions but to be fair forums outside of here are much better

Pre-reqs/assumptions

sky sat dish. If you've got motorised you are flash and in a better state than me!
A PC
Internet connection
Network cable
Patience

software downloads that will be handy

WinZip/WinRAR. You'll need to extract the following

ET9000 control centre - http://www.satstation.co.uk/forum/f80-clarke-tech-xtrend-specific-tools/clarke-tech-et-9000-control-centre-1540/

Dreamsat - http://www.dreambox4u.com/download/tools/editors/dreamset/

Catseye channel list - http://www.satstation.co.uk/forum/f29-enigma-2-settings/catseye-enigma-2-settings-file-75-east-58-west-25/

CCcam - http://www.satstation.co.uk/forum/f81-clarke-tech-xtrend-specific-plugins/cam-pack-egami-image-1378/     Note CCam 2.2.1 will be the one we use

Getting started

1 - Buy Box

Many available. I used ET9000. I bought from here simply because they would load image for you.

www.sat-shop.co.uk

image selected - Egami. Why Egami? - supposed to look pretty good. It does!

2 - await arrival

3 - Add a hard drive. WTF? a what drive? why?

Ok - you don't have to if you don't know how. when you buy the box ask for one to be added. If you don't then get a SATA hard drive of at least 1gb. open up the box and install (the sat shop guys send the cables with it). Those who understood this step will know what to do with the cables :-) If you want to record tv you need a hard drive

4 - connect the sat cables, power, network cable from box to back of your internet router/modem and hdmi and then switch the bad boy on

Initial Setup

Pretty self explanatory in regards to language. Now for the satellites bit do BOTH tuner A and tuner B if you put 2 cables into the back. Else just to tuner A

what to select? You need Astra/Eurobird 28.2E. This is what all sky dishes point to. Click through the rest of it and let it do its thing. Both tuner A and tuner B if you've got 2 cables coming in. This bit does take time so have a cuppa while waiting.

once complete you'll see a shit load of channels. Eventually you'll see some you recognise and if they are free to air you'll have a picture!

Advancing from the free to air to the card sharing stuff

1 - This overview is good http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8704-How-to-Install-CCcam-MGCamd-Others-on-Duo-Solo-Uno-ET9000-ET5000-ViX

2 - From the overview you'll see you need Filezilla. The Control Centre (see download list) has a button called Connect. There is no password so type in the IP address of the set top box and press it :-)

3 - Once you know connected, press FTP and it will launch Filezilla

4 - go to where you unzipped the cccam stuff. from here copy across cccam_2_2_1_egami_E2.tar.gz to the tmp folder on the set top box. Look at pics for how this should be

5 - Once done then press Green button on your remote and go to addons (off the top of my head its green button then red) then select Manually add (you should see the CCcam file there then follow options to install)

6 - Breathe. Most of the hard stuff is done

7 - CCCam.cfg file. Very small yet very powerful. Now you need a card sharing server to connect to. I went here http://euro-kings.com/vb/forum.php and here http://euro-kings.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?38-Verified-Premium-CCcam. At this point you're on yer own as to who/what you go for. As per earlier advice from others request a test line (free). Once you have this save it as cccam.cfg and save it to the /etc folder on your set top box (see pic)

8 - Back to the box. On your remote press the blue button and then select cccam from the top. select save and you'll see some funky animation and the screen will reappear and you'll be all set. Go through the now very very long channel list and pick some of the pay channels such as the Sky Sports HD ones. If you have a picture you're set

Channels - how to resolve this big mutha of a list

Follow this - http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=132625

It's a little tricky but just note that you'll be enigma 2 ver 4. The lamedb stuff it references will be wherever you unzipped that catseye thingy to. To be fair channels needs its own super tutorial but search around and you'll find your level. I'll try and create something of a simple write up for this too

Misc

What does inside of cccam.cfg look like? This bugged me no end but its simple enough

Example 1

N: ukxyzman.something.org 19530 username password 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14
N: ukxyzman.something.org 19531 username password 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14

Example 2

C: blahblahcccam2.mine.bb 14000 15July1099 99a1BR128
C: blah.dyndns.org 55000 15July1099 99a1BR128
C: something.dyndns.org 15000 15July1099 99a1BR128
C: anything.what.nu 12000 15July1099 99a1BR128
C: whoknows.dyndns.org 16000 15July1099 99a1BR128
C: random.dyndns.org 13000 15July1099 99a1BR128

Example 3

C: blah.no-ip.biz 19000 blah9 B7n769
C: something.no-ip.biz 29000 something9 B7n769
C: multiple.no-ip.biz 36000 multiple9 B7n769
C: single.no-ip.biz 28000 single9 B7n769
C: help.no-ip.biz 18000 help9 B7n769
C: whois.no-ip.biz 26000 whois9 B7n769

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:12:43 pm by Harinder »

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2011, 10:44:41 pm »
Just through skimming that guide that looks awesome, thanks. :)

One question: I understand with chipped cable boxes that Virgin could technically detect that you're using it. Would there be any danger of, say, Sky detecting that you were watching Sky Sports 1 through such a system? Or are you in the clear so long as the person whose viewing card is being shared is up and running?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2011, 11:02:01 pm »
Just through skimming that guide that looks awesome, thanks. :)

One question: I understand with chipped cable boxes that Virgin could technically detect that you're using it. Would there be any danger of, say, Sky detecting that you were watching Sky Sports 1 through such a system? Or are you in the clear so long as the person whose viewing card is being shared is up and running?

More the person sharing the card rather than the person connecting to the share from what I've read. It's a risk either which way

Offline griffic

• Anny Roader
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:38 pm »

Nice work with the guide.

Got my Blade media box set up tonight with a test line all works perfectly and took me only half an hour and most of that was scanning the channels.

just had to install latest firmware then put in the details for the server.

I am suitably impressed  ;D

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2011, 11:50:43 pm »

First things first - without Fish77/Trada/Teapot the below wouldn't be possible

A great guide but I owe everything I know to Fish77 he's the guru.

But must admit a lot of that is new to me I must have winged myself though the maze.

I did every thing with Flashftp.

Really after I got my Dreambox the only thing I had to do was find a card sharer and put the CCam across and work out how to setup my hard drive to pause and record.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:00:22 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2011, 06:42:17 pm »
Great guide Harinder - all looks easy enough.

I am thinking of dumping Sky and going down this route but just to keep the other half happy before I do ...

1) Does the ET9000 have (or can it be 'modded' so that it has) an EPG like Sky has in terms of navigating through channels, recorded shows, etc ?

2) Is there Sky+ like 'series link' functionality ?

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2011, 06:54:41 pm »
So basically you use a Sky dish that's already installed at the house? What if it's not motorised? Basically you buy a box, subscribe to a server (receive card in post?) and Bob's your uncle?

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2011, 07:04:05 pm »
So basically you use a Sky dish that's already installed at the house? What if it's not motorised? Basically you buy a box, subscribe to a server (receive card in post?) and Bob's your uncle?

From what I can gather, if you're using a Sky dish then you're basically restricted to just receiving the the same channels the sky box can get. However you subscribe to a server for £10ish per month and you'll be able to watch ALL the Sky channels (inc HD ones) without paying Sky £50+ per month.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2011, 07:16:18 pm »
Anyone got an Abu Dhabi Sports Box? Opinions?

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2011, 10:56:50 pm »
Its on Nilesat 7W which requires a minimum of a 1.8 Metre dish in the UK:-

http://nilesat.com.eg/Satellite/NileSat201/FootPrint.aspx

There are many other European broadcasters offering similar packages which you can pickup in the UK with something like an 80-85cm dish.

Nice one, any you could name?

Basically want it for the footy without having to fuck about with providers etc. Just one off.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »
Sorry I'm a little stupid when it comes to this. With all those boxes I'd be able to get near enough every PL game shown? and cup ones etc.

Looking about £200-£300 to spend.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2011, 11:42:35 pm »
So I'm looking at about £350, the thing with the ADSB is that I can get someone to do the dish for me free once ive bought the stuff then its one scan and done isn't it?

With these others seems more complicated. But ADSB is only 1 year subscription.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2011, 12:24:59 am »
Hmm I don't know enough on this to make a decision really.

Can you pay someone to set it all up for you?

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2011, 12:40:28 am »
You could certainly pay someone to install the dish for you. I don't know about sorting the software though.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2011, 12:43:15 am »
I can get the dish sorted easily. I'll probably just have a crack at the software myself, if I'm going to do that I'll more than likely just get a dreambox or something similar.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2011, 07:59:00 am »
the dreambox route is easiest Frank

Abu Dhabi Sports is broadcast on nilesat 7w and Badr 6 26e, both are very difficult to pick up in the uk especially if you're up north, if you do some searching on google you'll find it's not impossible but you'll need some serious equipment if you want a reliable signal

an 80-85cm dish and motor is pretty cheap to set up especially if you can do it yourself, you'll find all our matches (check here to see what channels are showing matches) on either hotbird 13e or astra 1 19.2e which are easy to get a decent signal from and a £10 p/m sharing sub will get you all the channels you need

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2011, 11:22:37 am »
FiSh77 is it possible to add a motor to a Sky dish ? Or is the Sky dish not big enough ?

Also, what 'drives' the motor ? The set top box via a cable or is it controlled seperately ?

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2011, 12:11:03 pm »

Anyway I set the new box up last night just to use as freeview for now, and I pretty impressed with it.  Picture quality is very good both SD and HD and menus EPG are straight forward and easy to use. 

The wife is most impressed that it has Snake from the old nokias on. So had a good evening watching the missus play that on a 42" screen :butt

Thinking about going for a setup like yours, do you get any extra channels that arent available on Sky? Do you get Setanta Ireland?

Edit: Little bit more reading and I've found that you do get Setanta Ireland and a few other channels. This is really tempting, but I am a little worried about getting caught. If I go for a card sharer who takes an anonymous payment method, does this lower the risk of getting caught?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:28:27 pm by gods_left_peg »
“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2011, 12:55:59 pm »
It is possible, I've seen it done:-

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/picture-members-setups-general-satellite-installations/123569-zone-2-moteck-diseqc-motor.html

But really it isn't big enough to get decent results for the European beams, also the dish isn't designed for it as the pole clamp is offset (see pictures) making it more tricky to setup. The motor is driven by the receiver via the LNB power supply down the cable, it sends Diseqc commands to move the diah and once set up correctly this happens transparently. By the way Sky boxes do not have this function as they are designed for a single fixed dish.

Thanks for that Yosser0_0,  a great help.

Just need to work out now if I only need a Sky replacement box or a box that does that and can get Premier league games from European  sats as well.

The Blade box sounds quite good. Does anyone know if there is a version with twin sat tuners which can card share as well ?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2011, 01:59:11 pm »
Thanks for that Yosser0_0,  a great help.

Just need to work out now if I only need a Sky replacement box or a box that does that and can get Premier league games from European  sats as well.

The Blade box sounds quite good. Does anyone know if there is a version with twin sat tuners which can card share as well ?

yeah there's a blade box with twin tuner called the Blade BM7000s HD, should cost you around £170

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »
So all this has to be done through a dish now?

What about if you only have virgin fibre optics? I know Nagra 3 encryption is 'unhackable'. But is there a card sharing option for that?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2011, 02:12:15 pm »
yeah there's cs for cable, not sure how reliable it is though

there's a fella called sooty on the rattle who's sorted a few out but looking at the threads on there it seems there's been problems with the servers going off, i think starview 7 & kryptview a780 are the boxes that can handle cs plus the Blade BM7000s HD is supposed to work with cable as well and has lan connection so it might work for cs if you can find a server

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »
yeah there's a blade box with twin tuner called the Blade BM7000s HD, should cost you around £170

Maybe I am missing something but it looks to me like that model is onyl single tuner ?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2011, 02:39:49 pm »
Maybe I am missing something but it looks to me like that model is onyl single tuner ?

sorry wrong model

Blade Media BM7000 Combo is the one with twin tuners but it looks like the 2nd tuner can only be for terrestrial or cable

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2011, 02:56:10 pm »
That's what I thought.

Shame

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2011, 03:50:35 pm »
With the card sharing option, are you restricted to low internet use (ie downloads, streaming, etc) whilst watching TV?
“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2011, 03:59:52 pm »
With the card sharing option, are you restricted to low internet use (ie downloads, streaming, etc) whilst watching TV?

maxing out your connection can affect it, i mainly download from usenet and use sabnzb cos i can limit how much bandwidth it uses, i've not had any problems with general internet use, streaming and online gaming

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2011, 04:03:06 pm »
maxing out your connection can affect it, i mainly download from usenet and use sabnzb cos i can limit how much bandwidth it uses, i've not had any problems with general internet use, streaming and online gaming

Ok thanks for that good to know.