Author Topic: Summer 2019 LFC pre-season tour thread  (Read 22474 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Summer 2019 LFC pre-season tour thread
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:33:37 pm »
Liverpool set for pre-season tour of USA
Neil Jones
Goal.com

Liverpool look set to return to the United States this summer with the Reds close to finalising a three-city pre-season tour.

It had been expected that Jurgen Klopp and his squad would be visiting Asia as part of their preparations for the 2019-20 season. China had been touted as a potential destination, while Liverpool have also visited Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore in recent years.

But Goal has learned that the Reds are now increasingly likely to break with recent tradition, which has seen them alternate from year to year between a North American tour and a Far East trip, by returning to the States this time around.

Liverpool played three games in the International Champions Cup there last summer, facing Borussia Dortmund in Charlotte, Manchester City in New Jersey and Manchester United in Michigan. And it is understood that Klopp was keen that this summer’s tour should also take place in America, where facilities and training conditions are felt to be better for the manager's pre-season preparations.

A game in Boston, home of Liverpool’s owners Fenway Sports Group, will almost certainly be on the agenda, while it is understood that both New York and Chicago are likely destinations, with the tour to take place in late-July. It is expected, too, that Liverpool will again compete in the International Champions Cup, though that is yet to be confirmed at this stage.

Klopp will hope to have the majority of his first-team squad available for the tour, despite both the Copa America and Africa Cup of Nations taking place this summer.

The Copa America, which will be held in Brazil, takes place between June 14 and July 7, with the likes of Alisson Becker, Fabinho and Roberto Firmino all hoping to be involved with the hosts.

AFCON, meanwhile, will take place in Egypt from June 21 to July 19, with Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Naby Keita all set to feature for their respective countries.

In recent years Liverpool have tended to play a series of ‘domestic’ friendlies, usually away from home against north-west opposition, before heading off on their long-haul pre-season tour.

Last summer, Klopp took them to Evian, France for a week-long training camp before finishing their preparations with a game against Napoli in Dublin and an Anfield fixture against Torino, while in 2017 they took part in the two-day Audi Cup in Munich, alongside Bayern, Atletico Madrid and Napoli.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/liverpool-set-for-pre-season-tour-of-usa/vxrp19pyl71810s0tyqpvftmx

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Summer 2019 LFC pre-season tour thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:38:50 pm »
Was thinking about pre season yesterday

Always prefer to see us in the US if we travel for reasons listed in the article like facilities etc

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:45:33 pm »
If they have to do these trips, then yep, prefer they come to the US. But I'd much perfer they just stayed in europe  :D  But I know that won't happen, as it's down to money.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:47:05 pm »
If they visit the Boston area as the article suggests, I assume they'll play at Fenway Park again since they own it. But Gillette Stadium would be better, yes? Home of the MLS's New England Revolution & NFL's Super Bowl champs New England Patriots. Capacity of 66,829 vs. 37,731 plus a better pitch layout. We'd fill it with a big club opponent.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:22:08 pm by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 11:53:55 pm »
Artificial pitch though

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 12:15:50 am »
Don't forget there is the UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE this summer.

England play June 6th.

So this goes until mid June. Which means players of ours from other European nations might be involved. Which means maybe some of our players miss the early part of preseason.

Brazil play in the Copa America this summer. So Bobby, Allison, and Fab , if selected, will miss out until maybe August.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 12:38:08 am »

England play June 6th.

So this goes until mid June. Which means players of ours from other European nations might be involved. Which means maybe some of our players miss the early part of preseason.

Brazil play in the Copa America this summer. So Bobby, Allison, and Fab , if selected, will miss out until maybe August.

Copa America ends July 7th, they'd be back by the end of the month but it's far from ideal

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:58 am »
Wonder if we will do the Audi cup again this year

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 03:19:42 pm »
If they visit the Boston area as the article suggests, I assume they'll play at Fenway Park again since they own it. But Gillette Stadium would be better, yes? Home of the MLS's New England Revolution & NFL's Super Bowl champs New England Patriots. Capacity of 66,829 vs. 37,731 plus a better pitch layout. We'd fill it with a big club opponent.

The problem with Gillette, for fans, is that it's in the middle of nowhere. As opposed to Fenway, which is in the middle of the city of Boston. It's probably easier to stay in Providence, Rhode Island than in Boston if you're going to Gillette. At Fenway, I assume that FSG would keep all revenue, except whatever is shared with the opposing team.

When New York is mentioned, I assume they mean MetLife Stadium in New Jersey (where we played City last year and the pitch was a disaster). Chicago would be Soldier Field, which has a capacity of about 60K.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 03:23:33 pm »
No Charlotte, no party :(

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 03:27:09 pm »
The problem with Gillette, for fans, is that it's in the middle of nowhere. As opposed to Fenway, which is in the middle of the city of Boston. It's probably easier to stay in Providence, Rhode Island than in Boston if you're going to Gillette. At Fenway, I assume that FSG would keep all revenue, except whatever is shared with the opposing team.

When New York is mentioned, I assume they mean MetLife Stadium in New Jersey (where we played City last year and the pitch was a disaster). Chicago would be Soldier Field, which has a capacity of about 60K.

They should go to Citi Field if they are doing NY again rather than go to that dump in New Jersey.

At least Citi field is in NYC and easily got to by train and subway!

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 04:29:56 pm »
They should go to Citi Field if they are doing NY again rather than go to that dump in New Jersey.

Agreed!
Off topic a bit, related to your point...Gillette Stadium is owned by Bob Kraft, who also of course owns the NFL team and an MLS team. I'm surprised Kraft and John Henry haven't worked together to get a 30,000 capacity MLS stadium built in the immediate Boston area (Gillette is built for the NFL and way too big for current MLS crowds). Then make the New England Revolution a feeder club to Liverpool, much like Man City have in New York. MLS is gaining quality and could be a nice loan option for some of our promising youngsters in coming years. A win-win for everybody.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:43:23 pm by soxfan »
― Christine Szymanski

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 06:27:04 am »

Citi Field is only accessible by one train in NYC. I would think they would try and go to Yankee Stadium again as it more accessible and MLS also plays there

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 11:22:52 am »
Citi Field is only accessible by one train in NYC. I would think they would try and go to Yankee Stadium again as it more accessible and MLS also plays there

? It's served by the subway and the LIRR. It couldn't be more accessible from NYC.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 04:09:29 pm »
The International Champions Cup always looks for the best stadium deals..ie. cheapest rentals. More profit for them.

Charlotte has been chosen previously due to a contractual issue that when the stadium was built for the Panthers with public money, there was a clause that allowed 2 or 3 discounted rentals per year. So the ICC jumped in.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 06:43:43 pm »

Was going to say the same thing about DC  ;D

Cheers
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 08:04:04 pm »
Was going to say the same thing about DC  ;D

Cheers

Would love if they played at the new Audi Field, which was built for football, but any ICC matches are likely to still be held at FedEx, which is a complete dump.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 08:12:57 pm »
I would love love love if somehow someway we decided to show up in Atlanta and play in the new Mercedes stadium. It would be a sight to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXNuVz4EFUc

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 09:07:45 pm »
Any idea when this will be confirmed? Planning a trip to NYC, would love to catch the Redmen out there.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 07:24:41 pm »
Liverpool will not be competing in the International Champions Cup.

https://www.internationalchampionscup.com/2019clubs?mi_u=d323c502-06ff-468d-b2f6-9e267c618b7e&cid=email:standalone:teamdrip&acsid=d323c502-06ff-468d-b2f6-9e267c618b7e&deliveryName=DM303

I wonder what that means for their plans this summer, and their opponents if they are actually coming to the US.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 07:31:29 pm »

https://www.internationalchampionscup.com/2019clubs?mi_u=d323c502-06ff-468d-b2f6-9e267c618b7e&cid=email:standalone:teamdrip&acsid=d323c502-06ff-468d-b2f6-9e267c618b7e&deliveryName=DM303

I wonder what that means for their plans this summer, and their opponents if they are actually coming to the US.

good.

I wonder if ticket prices will cost less than a months mortage for the games they do play now,  probably not!

Seems to be less teams in it that usual too? Although to be honest, that could just be my imagination, can't pretend to have taken that close a notice.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 07:36:26 pm »
I imagine we feel we can sell out games without being part of that and can bank more of the proceeds in doing so. Especially if we create fanzine type things around the ground like we’ve done in the past.

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 07:42:19 pm »
good.

I wonder if ticket prices will cost less than a months mortage for the games they do play now,  probably not!

Seems to be less teams in it that usual too? Although to be honest, that could just be my imagination, can't pretend to have taken that close a notice.

According to their website, 18 teams took part last summer, as opposed to the 12 that have been named this year.

FSG can certainly book the venues in the US themselves. The question is the opponents. Liverpool can sell out a stadium like Fenway without playing a huge European name. Some of the other teams that participated in the ICC last year demonstrated that they could not.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 07:48:52 pm »
According to their website, 18 teams took part last summer, as opposed to the 12 that have been named this year.

FSG can certainly book the venues in the US themselves. The question is the opponents. Liverpool can sell out a stadium like Fenway without playing a huge European name. Some of the other teams that participated in the ICC last year demonstrated that they could not.

I guess they could actually play an MLS team if they wanted? It'd be deep into their season of course.  And maybe have some agreement with another couple European teams to play some matches and split money.

They could do their own mini tournament if they wanted I'm sure.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 08:00:37 pm »
Could be playing the MLS all star team?

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 10:00:53 pm »
good.

Us, City, Chelsea, Barca and Dortmund all missing from what I can remember.

Offline lapapa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 06:34:09 am »
Would much prefer if they came to Asia instead.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 12:46:08 pm »
I would much prefer they sack off all the long distant tours and stayed in Europe  ;D

But I know that wont happen as money talks.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 01:19:45 pm »
I would much prefer they sack off all the long distant tours and stayed in Europe  ;D

But I know that wont happen as money talks.

I don’t think it hurts the view of the club in potential signing’s eyes when they see us selling out huge stadiums with practically all our own fans wherever we go.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 01:52:40 pm »

Thank Fowler they aren't part of that hyped up shower.

Might actually go this summer to see them. Won't go if they are part of that Cup.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 04:56:02 pm »

I know mate.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 11:20:07 pm »
What date are we playing in NYC?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 11:53:48 pm »

Just ask the Macc Lads.

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 12:17:56 am »

England play June 6th.

AFCON is biggest worry.

Finishes even later than Copa America with an end date of July 19th...compared to 7th July Copa America.

From memory seems players usually get two full weeks to 'holiday' after a tournament before starting pre season so Mane and Salah could not start pre season until around August 2nd/3rd and season starts on 10th - almost a cert they won't line up in our first game if they are both involved in latter stages.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 03:45:10 am »
Am I right in thinking that tickets for US based pre-season games cost a packet? Nearly went to the game in Michigan last summer; wouldn't mind  attending one this summer, but not if payment is via the nostrils
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 04:50:30 am »
.........Citi Field is only accessible by one train in NYC.........

BY BUS

From Queens:
Citi Field is srved by the Q48 bus. Many other bus lines connect with the 7 train, including the Q18, Q23, Q29, Q32, Q39, Q45, Q47, Q53, Q58, Q60, Q67, Q72, Q104, B24 and B61.

From Long Island:

Connections to the 7 train can be made at Flushing/Main Street via Long Island Bus lines N7, N20, N21.

From Port Authority:

Connections to the 7 train can be made by taking the E train to the 74th Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Avenue stop in Jackson Heights.

NJ TRANSIT

Take NJ Transit to Penn Station and transfer to LIRR. Citi Field is just two stops from Penn Station.

METRO NORTH

Change for the 7 train line at Grand Central Station. Take the 7 train to Mets/Willets Point Station.

LONG ISLAND RAILROAD (LIRR)

Direct LIRR service to Citi Field is available from Penn Station, Woodside, and all stations on the Port Washington Branch.
Those traveling from Long Island or southern Queens on other branches can reach Citi Field by changing trains at Woodside, just a five-minute ride from the ballpark.

Fans from N.Y.C. or New Jersey can board any Port Washington Branch train at Penn Station, which is just a quick 19 minutes away on the LIRR.

SUBWAY

Via 7 Train:
Services Citi Field at the Mets/Willets Point Station and makes stops in Manhattan at Times Square, 5th Avenue and Grand Central Station.

Via E F G R or V Trains:

Connections to the 7 train can be made at the 74th Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Avenue stop in Jackson Heights.

Via N or W Trains:

Transfer to the 7 train at Queensboro Plaza.

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 01:26:54 am »
BY BUS

From Queens:
Citi Field is srved by the Q48 bus. Many other bus lines connect with the 7 train, including the Q18, Q23, Q29, Q32, Q39, Q45, Q47, Q53, Q58, Q60, Q67, Q72, Q104, B24 and B61.

From Long Island:

Connections to the 7 train can be made at Flushing/Main Street via Long Island Bus lines N7, N20, N21.

From Port Authority:

Connections to the 7 train can be made by taking the E train to the 74th Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Avenue stop in Jackson Heights.

NJ TRANSIT

Take NJ Transit to Penn Station and transfer to LIRR. Citi Field is just two stops from Penn Station.

METRO NORTH

Change for the 7 train line at Grand Central Station. Take the 7 train to Mets/Willets Point Station.

LONG ISLAND RAILROAD (LIRR)

Direct LIRR service to Citi Field is available from Penn Station, Woodside, and all stations on the Port Washington Branch.
Those traveling from Long Island or southern Queens on other branches can reach Citi Field by changing trains at Woodside, just a five-minute ride from the ballpark.

Fans from N.Y.C. or New Jersey can board any Port Washington Branch train at Penn Station, which is just a quick 19 minutes away on the LIRR.

SUBWAY

Via 7 Train:
Services Citi Field at the Mets/Willets Point Station and makes stops in Manhattan at Times Square, 5th Avenue and Grand Central Station.

Via E F G R or V Trains:

Connections to the 7 train can be made at the 74th Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Avenue stop in Jackson Heights.

Via N or W Trains:

Transfer to the 7 train at Queensboro Plaza.

Thanks for full info basically bus, 7 train or LIRR.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2019, 03:40:05 am »
Any dates for Boston yet?

I imagine we feel we can sell out games without being part of that and can bank more of the proceeds in doing so. Especially if we create fanzine type things around the ground like we’ve done in the past.

I would imagine a quick chat at the country club would sort out Liverpool vs Roma in Boston.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:42:01 am by Byrneand »
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 12:07:33 pm »
James Pearce further confirming in the Echo this morning Liverpool’s plans for 3 matches in the US, probably approximately July 19 - 25. He once again mentions Fenway and the team being based at Harvard , but this time throws in prospects for a match at Notre Dame! No specifics for New York, though that seems to be the third location in the mix, and no mention of opponents.

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2019, 01:42:22 am »
According to Steven Goff, the football reporter for the Washington Post, club reps have arrived in Boston for an announcement tomorrow (Tuesday) of the summer matches in the US.

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1120486391970922502