Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3300995 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #23840 on: July 8, 2020, 04:39:07 pm »
Is that when Gibbo called him the most electrifying man in sports entertainment? :D

I can't remember if Gibbo says that but it's a speech for the ages.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23841 on: July 8, 2020, 04:57:44 pm »
Lizzi has done a brilliant job. Four parts i think!

If you enjoyed that, have a watch of How The League Was Won - it's a video version, but using none of the same content - Post Match Pints, Free Shows & Talking Reds to tell the story. Lovely to watch back, and no overlap apart from maybe one Neil Docking part during the Man City pink haha.

I've already watched it and thought that too was a very good approach to take and was very impressed with that video.

I'm also hoping/expecting that they'll do some kind of analytical going-through-the-season show — I'm sure it'll happen.

Edit: also as someone who has edited a lot of audio, Christ there must have been so many hours to wade through to get all the right moments!

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #23842 on: July 8, 2020, 05:06:21 pm »
I've already watched it and thought that too was a very good approach to take and was very impressed with that video.

I'm also hoping/expecting that they'll do some kind of analytical going-through-the-season show — I'm sure it'll happen.

Edit: also as someone who has edited a lot of audio, Christ there must have been so many hours to wade through to get all the right moments!

Between the video and then the podcasts, it has taken over lives to get it done haha.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23843 on: July 8, 2020, 07:58:41 pm »
Lizzi has done a brilliant job. Four parts i think!

If you enjoyed that, have a watch of How The League Was Won - it's a video version, but using none of the same content - Post Match Pints, Free Shows & Talking Reds to tell the story. Lovely to watch back, and no overlap apart from maybe one Neil Docking part during the Man City pink haha.
Not usually a fan of highlights looking back on tv etc...

But this is actually sensational ....

Pass my thanks on
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #23844 on: July 8, 2020, 11:10:02 pm »
Maybe a bit early to discuss it but would be interested to hear the Wrap's thoughts as the new season closes in if crowds still aren't allowed back, or if there are capacity reductions to enable a percentage of fans to get in the ground - https://theathletic.com/1901799/2020/07/07/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-anfield-fans-premier-league-bundesliga/

Personally, I think I would be happy for season ticket holders to attend them all (and perhaps locals on the day to be able to pick up unused tickets) for the games that are under capacity with social distancing. I appreciate my position as a non season ticket holder and that they should be the ones that get the priority until such a point we are back to 100% capacity.

Having said that, while it may be selfish of me, I would be lying if I wasn't worried about somehow getting diddled out of the home cup games where I hold max credits going back years - which is the only area of the ticketing I have been able to regularly attend. The FA Cup due to it's date is probably less of an issue, but there would be an early League Cup game (if we entered it) and a Champions League game.

I wonder if a system whereby season ticket holders and locals can attend until max capacity is available again and then credits can resume as they would have done after Atletico Madrid at home in all comps. League games wouldn't be an issue with season ticket holders as they have a ticket for every game anyway. It may be that only a proportion of them alternate between each league game.

Will be interesting to see how the club approach it, especially in our case with demand being so high.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23845 on: July 9, 2020, 12:04:08 am »
Great HotMic session tonight. Really elevated the game.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #23846 on: July 9, 2020, 08:16:04 am »
Great HotMic session tonight. Really elevated the game.

Agreed. It's what "Fanzone" could have been all those years ago.

It helps that I've had Gibbo and Atko in my ears for years and feel like the odd time I bump into them I "know" them. I've said before some of the most surreal moments have been in town listening to a podcast and seeing Atko or Gibbo on the streets.

Be an actual shame for me when they have to stop doing them (because if we thought tickets for the match were hard to come by this season....)

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23847 on: July 9, 2020, 09:53:19 am »
Well in on the Hotmic.
Been meaning to try it for a while, the first thing I heard from Tyler was his agenda about our lack of away goals I thought sod this and gave it a go and from the post match and commentator threads it sounds like I made the right decision.

Absolutely excellent and a real antidote to the crap spouted by the mainstream. My stream was about 5 seconds ahead of the commentary so when Fabinho I think was booked for yet another cheap foul given by Pawson I let go with a huge "Fuck off" followed up by a few more, this causes Mrs A in the other room to get up and shut the door muttering something about my swearing. As soon as this is done Neil sees what I saw 5 seconds ago and his reaction....."Fuck off".

That's what I want from commentary, no agenda just the game, but calls the shite that is regularly glossed over for what it is. He gave Brighton credit too, and got the balance right. A bit of bias is what you'd expect but fair to the opposition and not trying to overcompensate in the way some red pundits in the mainstream are prone to. I'm sold.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23848 on: July 9, 2020, 12:07:03 pm »
Everyone on TAW could do with either spelling out the supposed criticisms they read on social media (including for example, who said it, and what did they say) or just stop banging on about it. I'm talking about "the Naby Keita debate" but it can be about any topic. Ian Salmon used to do it a lot but now it seems like everyone does it.

Stop talking about lads on Twitter whose names and stupid opinions you can't be bothered to remember; the vague and eternally blamable "seen it said on social media" chat is tedious as hell.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #23849 on: July 9, 2020, 12:22:24 pm »
Everyone on TAW could do with either spelling out the supposed criticisms they read on social media (including for example, who said it, and what did they say) or just stop banging on about it. I'm talking about "the Naby Keita debate" but it can be about any topic. Ian Salmon used to do it a lot but now it seems like everyone does it.

Stop talking about lads on Twitter whose names and stupid opinions you can't be bothered to remember; the vague and eternally blamable "seen it said on social media" chat is tedious as hell.
You're kind of right. Twitter is a stack of lies wrapped in baseless nonsense. Using it as a sounding board for opinion is a problematic endeavour. However, Twitter is also a significant channel to consume a lot of football chat so there is, at times, merit in getting a feel for what the wider fanbase are saying. For instance, I don't think it's just folk on Twitter who aren't fully convinced with Keita - that's a fairly well-established debate. However, viewing out-right trolling as being worthy of comment is just a bit daft...even though we can all (most) get a bit drawn into that stuff on occasion.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #23850 on: July 10, 2020, 09:14:40 am »
Enjoying the season recaps stuff. I was listening to the first one not realising it was going to be in several parts and started to panic that there was only about 15 minutes left and we were still only on United away!

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #23851 on: July 11, 2020, 08:03:35 am »
What's with the sound Chelsea fan on the Friday show?

Refreshing to hear from someone who doesn't play up to being a Chelsea fan

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23852 on: July 11, 2020, 08:08:18 am »
You're kind of right. Twitter is a stack of lies wrapped in baseless nonsense. Using it as a sounding board for opinion is a problematic endeavour. However, Twitter is also a significant channel to consume a lot of football chat so there is, at times, merit in getting a feel for what the wider fanbase are saying. For instance, I don't think it's just folk on Twitter who aren't fully convinced with Keita - that's a fairly well-established debate. However, viewing out-right trolling as being worthy of comment is just a bit daft...even though we can all (most) get a bit drawn into that stuff on occasion.

The problem is that when contributors are asked their opinion on how Keita played, they more often than not give their opinion on how Twitter thinks they played, but without any actual detail of what those opinions are.

I understand that Twitter is a conduit for loads of footy chat more so now than ever (and particularly given the present circumstances) but if someone wants to talk about an actual opinion they read on Twitter on a podcast then actually talk about that opinion. The implied idea that because you’re on a podcast you’ve somehow risen above the daft opinions of Twitter is unproven by simply referring to an unarticulated opinion that you “heard somebody say on social media.”

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #23853 on: July 13, 2020, 09:42:18 am »
TAW lads (not the lass) moaning, groaning and whinging on the 'Burnley blocks' episode.

They tried valiantly not to but by midway I'd had enough.

Chin up lads - good points made around the change in how the front 3 operate compared to 2 seasons ago and things that need to looked at for next season but it didn't half feel churlish in this context.

Cheers

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #23854 on: July 13, 2020, 01:54:22 pm »
TAW lads (not the lass) moaning, groaning and whinging on the 'Burnley blocks' episode.

They tried valiantly not to but by midway I'd had enough.

Chin up lads - good points made around the change in how the front 3 operate compared to 2 seasons ago and things that need to looked at for next season but it didn't half feel churlish in this context.

Cheers

Agree

The stuff about Salah was bizarre ... He’s not clinical and profligate now apparently -  how many goals he’d score if he wasn’t boggles the mind. (They also dropped his over performance relative to xG and didn’t remake on it in which was bizarre in context)

Churlish is a great word -I also stopped listening.

The whole show missed the point of these few games and maybe the chase for records is at fault ..
We should all be enjoying it not cry arsing because we missed chances in one dead rubber game - my worry for our fan base is that this podcast is representative and people really aren’t making the most of it; they should it’ll never happen like this season again

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23855 on: July 13, 2020, 10:14:52 pm »
Really enjoyed the compilation episodes, must've been a massive undertaking finding all the bits required to piece it all together.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23856 on: July 13, 2020, 10:50:07 pm »
Agree

The stuff about Salah was bizarre ... He’s not clinical and profligate now apparently -  how many goals he’d score if he wasn’t boggles the mind. (They also dropped his over performance relative to xG and didn’t remake on it in which was bizarre in context)

Churlish is a great word -I also stopped listening.

The whole show missed the point of these few games and maybe the chase for records is at fault ..
We should all be enjoying it not cry arsing because we missed chances in one dead rubber game - my worry for our fan base is that this podcast is representative and people really aren’t making the most of it; they should it’ll never happen like this season again

I can’t say I had an issue with much of what was said.

I believe that the entire front 3 was referred to as profligate, rather than just Salah, and it’s probably true that we’ve narrowly won a lot of matches which we could have comfortably won had we been more clinical.

I don’t think that they missed the point of the remaining matches either - there’s a line between treating them all as friendlies (which the manager and players definitely aren’t,) and expecting the same level of intensity as you saw prior to the league being won, personally I felt that they hit the right side of that line.

I’m loving every minute of this run in but I was still a bit gutted that we didn’t win on Saturday and it’s not really controversial to say that a) if we’d been more clinical that we would have won and b) that this isn’t the only game where we’ve been less than clinical.

Can’t say I heard any cry-arising to be honest, thought the majority of it was pretty balanced - you can bet that Klopp will be looking to improve on certain areas before next season and I would imagine that chance conversion will be one of them.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #23857 on: July 13, 2020, 11:02:20 pm »
I enjoyed the episode to be fair. Think the frustration stems from all the missed chances. But they themselves admit that it's a bit naff moaning about drawing against Burnley when you've already won the league.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #23858 on: July 14, 2020, 11:26:14 am »
The Burnley TAW show felt a little bit too moany, in truth. Maybe because it was recorded on Sunday it didn't have the appropriate 'distance' for a more considered chat. Look, it wasn't some kneejerk meltdown but it was certainly a tad heavy-handed in terms of the negative stuff. To call Salah profligate is hyperbole - his xG and general brilliance points towards the fact he isn't.

There's also the idea that Liverpool have won games narrowly, which was brought up in what felt like a pessimistic light. As many on TAW have talked about for months, this is central to the team's success this season. Never has a team controlled matches of football quite so stunningly as this Liverpool side. For much of the season, Liverpool take the lead and the game is controlled to within an inch of its life. It's part of the plan to large extent.

I guess the alternative was the 17/18 incarnation of Liverpool which was far more devastating in attack but lost leads/matches because the approach wasn't full formed at that stage in the Klopp project.

One home non-win in 18 months or so...it was certainly a rather ungenerous assessment in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:54:40 am by Fitzy. »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #23859 on: July 14, 2020, 12:20:36 pm »
Neil - Get Clive Tyldesley back in for hot mic

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #23860 on: July 14, 2020, 12:55:54 pm »
Neil - Get Clive Tyldesley back in for hot mic

No don't.

He's too professional I want to listen to fan commentary. You won't get Clive opining that a ref's decision is "Fucking shite".

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #23861 on: July 15, 2020, 10:16:37 pm »
The wraps social media presence is still cringey as anything.

The best podcast around and the social media is attempts to bait other fans and being run like a 'banter' account.

The 'remember when... Hahahahahahha' etc is just not in line with the quality of the pods imo.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #23862 on: July 15, 2020, 10:45:19 pm »
The wraps social media presence is still cringey as anything.

The best podcast around and the social media is attempts to bait other fans and being run like a 'banter' account.

The 'remember when... Hahahahahahha' etc is just not in line with the quality of the pods imo.

Aaaand he's back

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #23863 on: July 16, 2020, 07:09:31 am »
Aaaand he's back

Hi Mark, still doing the online bullying I see, because you don't agree with what I said.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #23864 on: July 16, 2020, 09:41:02 am »
Aaaand he's back

He's right on this one though.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #23865 on: July 16, 2020, 10:00:05 am »
Hi Mark, still doing the online bullying I see, because you don't agree with what I said.

Bullying? Where did you go to school?

I get it, you never have anything nice to say. I look forward to seeing what your next gripe is.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23866 on: July 16, 2020, 10:04:51 am »
Great Hot Mic again.
3 second lag is great. I swear about the ref, 3 seconds later, Neil swears about the same incident. Can't beat proper commentary, by fans for fans.
Why would anyone want to listen to Tyler and Sky's tedious agendas?

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23867 on: July 16, 2020, 10:40:21 am »

I agree.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #23868 on: July 16, 2020, 11:14:14 am »

Yeah I'm afraid he is.

The tweets that constantly end with "Fucking hell." do my head in haha.

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #23869 on: July 16, 2020, 12:37:43 pm »
Bullying? Where did you go to school?

I get it, you never have anything nice to say. I look forward to seeing what your next gripe is.

I do have nice things to say, I know that several wrap members contribute to this and it is merely my feedback as a paying customer. Not abusive, it was meant as constructive. But don't let that stop you mate.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23870 on: July 16, 2020, 12:47:47 pm »
Maybe not the place but Arsecast, today 6 minutes in, he plays a Spanish language commentary of the two mistakes and the second is hilarious - they’re stunned into silence having just been talking about how amazed they were at the Van Dijk mistake.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23871 on: July 16, 2020, 11:46:15 pm »
I do have nice things to say, I know that several wrap members contribute to this and it is merely my feedback as a paying customer. Not abusive, it was meant as constructive. But don't let that stop you mate.

Your negativity is bordering on unhealthy and it's bewildering you still subscribe to a podcast you are so consistently critical of. Stinks of an agenda.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #23872 on: July 17, 2020, 09:09:35 am »
AFQ: Neil getting hassle for his in-car body language made me chuckle.

the small things...eh?

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #23873 on: July 17, 2020, 09:23:52 am »
AFQ: Neil getting hassle for his in-car body language made me chuckle.

the small things...eh?

Im sure we can all relate at times

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #23874 on: July 17, 2020, 10:24:22 am »
Im sure we can all relate at times
Yep. The petty nature of living under the same roof as someone and the absolute candour within which you operate...it's a wonder there aren't more murders!

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23875 on: July 17, 2020, 02:54:01 pm »
I thought there were some pretty mad shouts on the transfer portion of the weekender.

The comment where Hicks and Gillette were mentioned was just crazy I thought - it’s FSG that took us after those two c*nts and have since taken us from the brink of administration to being the best team in the world.

Granted we all want to see some transfers over the summer but I did think some of the comments were OTT to say the least.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #23876 on: July 17, 2020, 03:08:47 pm »
I thought there were some pretty mad shouts on the transfer portion of the weekender.

The comment where Hicks and Gillette were mentioned was just crazy I thought - it’s FSG that took us after those two c*nts and have since taken us from the brink of administration to being the best team in the world.

Granted we all want to see some transfers over the summer but I did think some of the comments were OTT to say the least.

It's also a lack of understanding. FSG haven't made any money out of us.

They've paid a sum for an asset and have helped developed and still own it.

Saying we are "worth" £2bn is fanciful.

Do we really want to be in the position of lending money on the club again? That was the maddest shout I've heard in a long time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23877 on: July 17, 2020, 03:25:10 pm »
It's also a lack of understanding. FSG haven't made any money out of us.

They've paid a sum for an asset and have helped developed and still own it.

Saying we are "worth" £2bn is fanciful.

Do we really want to be in the position of lending money on the club again? That was the maddest shout I've heard in a long time
I think the problem was the way it was framed.
He said mortgaging, but then said they've got equity. What he was saying is that FSG could inject some more cash as equity, because it's covered by increased equity in the business. I don't necessarily disagree, but saying "I don't like FSG" doesn't really achieve much either. OK it's an opinion, but it also begs the question what do you actually want?

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #23878 on: July 17, 2020, 03:34:20 pm »
I think the problem was the way it was framed.
He said mortgaging, but then said they've got equity. What he was saying is that FSG could inject some more cash as equity, because it's covered by increased equity in the business. I don't necessarily disagree, but saying "I don't like FSG" doesn't really achieve much either. OK it's an opinion, but it also begs the question what do you actually want?

An ethical oligarch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23879 on: July 17, 2020, 03:52:03 pm »
An ethical oligarch
Exactly. If you dig deeper on what people who don't like FSG want, the answer is usually something that doesn't exist or won't happen.
During the days of H&G I remember some of the Wrap lads, albeit not that one, saying all they wanted was ownership that would spend what we earned, we've got that and it's not enough for some.

To be fair, there may be an argument for injecting money and converting to equity on the basis that the asset has risen, but there is so much uncertainty. Not least the fact that if they chuck in £100m a country can chuck in so much more.