Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 2 v Watford Mo 38' 90'  (Read 30698 times)

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Re: PL: Liverpool 2 v Watford Mo 38' 90'
« Reply #400 on: December 15, 2019, 08:55:19 am »
The Watford player by the byline is considered part of the play. The issue is that the keeper is more advanced than him and at least one other defender, so two defenders needed to be between Mo and the goal line (as is always the case - it's just that the goalkeeper is normally one of them). He by the byline is one, the defender they drew the VAR line against was the other.

It's amazed me today how many people don't understand the offside rule.

Also, when Deulofeu hit the post from his corner, the commentators on BT and MOTD both said there was an offside which is why the play was stopped soon after. There wasn't an offside, it was just that Deulofeu was the next player to touch the ball, so in essence passed the corner to himself. Obviously not allowed.

Also, the goal areas (inside the nets) are part of the field of play.
Under the old rules Cottee? was offside when Everton scored in the 1989 final because he was standing in  the goal but the linesman never flagged.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: December 15, 2019, 08:56:07 am »
Yes, it’s one example, but the critical point is that the Mount incident happened when (at least in my opinion) we needed it. We arguably went on to pick up three points because Chelsea didn’t equalise. The Man Utd call did cost us two points perhaps but that’s what I meant when I said balanced out. The Napoli calls cost us in those two games but not in the overall scheme as we still qualified top of the group.

Now I don’t actually believe that things will necessarily even themselves out over the course of a season; I am just suggesting in the context of this season, the bad calls have not cost us anything more than what the “good” call compensated us for. In other words, it’s not the number of calls each way per se; it’s when they happened and the cost of the calls, if any. So if there were twenty bad calls against us in one match but we still won then it didn’t cost us anything, whereas a single call in our favour in a critical match would easily outweigh those twenty bad calls.

Anyway it will all be hopefully irrelevant come end of season. Let Man Utd fans crow about being the only team to take points off us while they miss out on Europe completely and we lift the EPL and No. 7.

Well OK, but that seems to be revising a little what you were suggesting before, where you effectively said "things already have balanced out" in your reply to the previous guy.

And ok, the bad calls haven't cost us much more in terms of results than that one Chelsea call gave us. But that's only because we're such a brilliant team that we've triumphed despite not getting breaks in games. Like everyone likes to talk about us being lucky yesterday or the Aston Villa game with the late comeback, but if the Firmino or Mane goals count (which they should), then we arguably win those games much more easily.

Basically, the fact that we're doing as well as we are despite the bad calls shouldn't take attention away from them, or attention away from how imbalanced it is. By my count we've had 7 bad VAR calls (or non-calls) go against us and 1 go for us. That's not ok, whether it cost us points or not.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #402 on: December 15, 2019, 09:02:16 am »
Thinking back to last week when a City player (who will not be named in case the mods end up having to lock the thread), dived like a 3yr old in a paddling pool.
VAR said no pen. It was clear simulation. I thought there was a panel to retrospectively look at such incidents.
As far as I know the pricks at the FA have never disbanded it, they simply banned Niasse (wrongly in my view) and then forgot about the whole idea. I bet that panel are still getting their retainer fees though.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: December 15, 2019, 09:06:51 am »
Seemed like the pitch was dry

Shouldn’t have been

They threw plenty of water down

Think it’s likely the wind slowing the ball up that made it look that way. I almost got blown off my feet walking to the ground

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #404 on: December 15, 2019, 09:21:30 am »
Fair fucks to Watford they gave us a game and, if they could finish, they probably would of took a point at the very least.

For us, we were sluggish and possibly an early kick off after a mid-week exertions combined - made us that way. 

Not getting peoples ire with VAR decisions - if people are off-side, they are off-side, my only issue is the length of time it takes to decide. Perhaps a time limit on decisions? I don't know, but it, or should I so those using the system, are not doing themselves any favours.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: December 15, 2019, 09:53:11 am »
Very pleased with the result and the performance but that was always a potential banana skin of a game and it felt good to see us ride our luck to 3 points.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: December 15, 2019, 10:02:21 am »
Fair fucks to Watford they gave us a game and, if they could finish, they probably would of took a point at the very least.

For us, we were sluggish and possibly an early kick off after a mid-week exertions combined - made us that way. 

Not getting peoples ire with VAR decisions - if people are off-side, they are off-side, my only issue is the length of time it takes to decide. Perhaps a time limit on decisions? I don't know, but it, or should I so those using the system, are not doing themselves any favours.

As I understand it, in this case people are complaining about a part of the body that was millimeters off-side and wasn't interfering with play and couldn't have scored the goal. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Silverbird

• Anny Roader
« Reply #407 on: December 15, 2019, 10:14:15 am »
Well OK, but that seems to be revising a little what you were suggesting before, where you effectively said "things already have balanced out" in your reply to the previous guy.

And ok, the bad calls haven't cost us much more in terms of results than that one Chelsea call gave us. But that's only because we're such a brilliant team that we've triumphed despite not getting breaks in games. Like everyone likes to talk about us being lucky yesterday or the Aston Villa game with the late comeback, but if the Firmino or Mane goals count (which they should), then we arguably win those games much more easily.

Basically, the fact that we're doing as well as we are despite the bad calls shouldn't take attention away from them, or attention away from how imbalanced it is. By my count we've had 7 bad VAR calls (or non-calls) go against us and 1 go for us. That's not ok, whether it cost us points or not.

Nope, the bad calls are not ok and I wasn’t saying they are, just that they haven’t cost us this season (yet). I thought Mane’s goal was onside, and they seemed to be fiddling with the lines to make him off. I also wonder if at the back of the VAR referee’s mind he’s thinking if I give the goal Liverpool is going to run away with the game so let’s just not give it. And when I was watching Leicester’s game later that night, I was thinking the same - whether the referee was more likely to give Leicester a favourable call to keep the competition interesting. I am hoping that doesn’t come into play otherwise we are going to be engaged in many more of these discussions in the coming months.

Online JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #408 on: December 15, 2019, 10:32:50 am »
A lovely man, according to McManaman :lmao

"Proper footballing man" or some equivalent. Whatever the fuck that means (something unpleasant in most cases).
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #409 on: December 15, 2019, 10:34:33 am »
Oh, and no yellow for Trent yesterday either. Which is nice.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: December 15, 2019, 10:51:50 am »

The idea that VAR is accurate for offsides is false. While it can be accurate in terms of the positions of the goal scorer and last defender, it is not accurate as to the precise moment the ball is passed forward. The boot remains in contact with the ball from the moment of contact, then through the ball, until the ball has left the foot. Depending at what moment you freeze the frame (and VAR never show you this key part of the calculation) the outcome can change significantly.

If we are going to persist with VAR then they should give thought to implementing a margin of error similar to “umpire’s call” in the cricket DRS review system. The purpose of VAR should not be to nitpick over armpit hairs but to eliminate the howlers.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #411 on: December 15, 2019, 11:16:21 am »
I'm really not that fussed about VAR being nit-picky on offsides. As we have the best offside trap in world football, I'm quite happy for it to stay that way. What I would like changed is the absurd interpretation that players aren't interfering unless they actually touch the ball - I'd personally be quite happy for offside to return to what it used to be but, failing that, there should be a rule introduced something like 'anyone in line with the 6 yard area to the ende of the box is adjudged to be offside'. It would stop those ridiculous situations where three clearly offside players from a set-piece very obviously challenge for the ball but it's given as a goal because it goes fractionally over all their heads to land at the back post player who was onside, or those situations where a massively offside player gets out of the way of the ball at the last second to allow an inside player to shoot.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #412 on: December 15, 2019, 01:54:24 pm »
Didn't see the match as I was on a plane. How did big Shaq get on???

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: December 15, 2019, 01:59:13 pm »

Bit anonymous, but great cross for Manes "offside" goal

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #414 on: December 15, 2019, 02:07:33 pm »
Aaahhh thats a shame. Was hoping he’d have a stormer. Makes me weirdly happy when I see him on the team sheet.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #415 on: December 15, 2019, 03:07:32 pm »
Not the greatest watch ever that. But there are some real positives to take away. Salah looking really sharp again and despite some misses scoring two with nice finishes. Love the fact the flicked goal also goes through the Watford players legs.
Gomez performed really well too and by default he’s now back for a run, so hopefully he gets back to the heights of last season where he was almost as good as VVD for a few months.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #416 on: December 15, 2019, 03:24:31 pm »
Nope, the bad calls are not ok and I wasn’t saying they are, just that they haven’t cost us this season (yet). I thought Mane’s goal was onside, and they seemed to be fiddling with the lines to make him off. I also wonder if at the back of the VAR referee’s mind he’s thinking if I give the goal Liverpool is going to run away with the game so let’s just not give it. And when I was watching Leicester’s game later that night, I was thinking the same - whether the referee was more likely to give Leicester a favourable call to keep the competition interesting. I am hoping that doesn’t come into play otherwise we are going to be engaged in many more of these discussions in the coming months.

do you honestly think they approach decisions that way?

sounds very similar to what city fans brood over with their conspiracy theories that the powers that be want us to win the league, hence their 'bad' fortune and our 'good' fortune - in their blue tinted glasses view of course

personally, i haven't got any time for conspiracy theories cos if im watching a game with that in my head, may as well give up watching footy (yes i know refs have been bought, juventus and all that [italy has a history of fixing by refs and linesmen] but to think a governing body is manipulating league outcomes? may as well chuck it in if it was the case, winning would be meaningless
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 03:38:55 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Silverbird

• Anny Roader
« Reply #417 on: December 15, 2019, 04:09:24 pm »
do you honestly think they approach decisions that way?

sounds very similar to what city fans brood over with their conspiracy theories that the powers that be want us to win the league, hence their 'bad' fortune and our 'good' fortune - in their blue tinted glasses view of course

personally, i haven't got any time for conspiracy theories cos if im watching a game with that in my head, may as well give up watching footy (yes i know refs have been bought, juventus and all that [italy has a history of fixing by refs and linesmen] but to think a governing body is manipulating league outcomes? may as well chuck it in if it was the case, winning would be meaningless

No need to jump to conclusions. It’s not a conspiracy theory. At least I don’t believe the referees set out deliberately to “fix” the game. I am suggesting maybe it’s something that weighs on their minds. For example, some referees may not give a second yellow and a red upon the player committing a second yellow card offence because they might try to keep the game a contest. I don’t think others are out to get us intentionally.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #418 on: December 15, 2019, 04:31:13 pm »
Aaahhh thats a shame. Was hoping he’d have a stormer. Makes me weirdly happy when I see him on the team sheet.

There was one moment in the first half where he chased back into the defensive third to help Trent and won a tackle.

In any of his other incarnations at other clubs, that would never have happened.

He seems to be trying to do more of the things players for Klopp are asked to do, which should be a good sign...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #419 on: December 15, 2019, 10:34:00 pm »
I am suggesting maybe it’s something that weighs on their minds. For example, some referees may not give a second yellow and a red upon the player committing a second yellow card offence because they might try to keep the game a contest. I don’t think others are out to get us intentionally.
Often the failure to show a 2nd yellow is partly due to trying to hold the offence to a higher standard in a similar way that refs won't give a pen for a foul they would blow for elsewhere on the pitch. It's strange when you think that decisions should be the same but there is a case where you should be doubly sure before making game changing decisions.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #420 on: December 15, 2019, 10:42:30 pm »
I'm really not that fussed about VAR being nit-picky on offsides. As we have the best offside trap in world football, I'm quite happy for it to stay that way. What I would like changed is the absurd interpretation that players aren't interfering unless they actually touch the ball - I'd personally be quite happy for offside to return to what it used to be but, failing that, there should be a rule introduced something like 'anyone in line with the 6 yard area to the ende of the box is adjudged to be offside'. It would stop those ridiculous situations where three clearly offside players from a set-piece very obviously challenge for the ball but it's given as a goal because it goes fractionally over all their heads to land at the back post player who was onside, or those situations where a massively offside player gets out of the way of the ball at the last second to allow an inside player to shoot.

Exactly,if your not interfering with play etc. Shouldnt be on the pitch in that case.

Offline Silverbird

• Anny Roader
« Reply #421 on: December 16, 2019, 01:08:40 am »
Often the failure to show a 2nd yellow is partly due to trying to hold the offence to a higher standard in a similar way that refs won't give a pen for a foul they would blow for elsewhere on the pitch. It's strange when you think that decisions should be the same but there is a case where you should be doubly sure before making game changing decisions.

I think based on an interpretation of the rules, you must be correct. But I have always thought the extra restraint makes sense. You are refereeing a competitive match, so you are refereeing incidents in a bigger context, not individual incidents in a complete vacuum. So it makes sense to consider the effect of your decisions on the match. I always recall this game we had against Man Utd where the referee sent Hypia off after six minutes and gave a penalty, and a 90-minute match was effectively over after just six. But maybe I would have thought differently if it was a Man Utd player who had been sent off.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #422 on: December 16, 2019, 02:49:08 am »
I think based on an interpretation of the rules, you must be correct. But I have always thought the extra restraint makes sense. You are refereeing a competitive match, so you are refereeing incidents in a bigger context, not individual incidents in a complete vacuum. So it makes sense to consider the effect of your decisions on the match. I always recall this game we had against Man Utd where the referee sent Hypia off after six minutes and gave a penalty, and a 90-minute match was effectively over after just six. But maybe I would have thought differently if it was a Man Utd player who had been sent off.

Except, they should be refereeing individual incidents, because to do otherwise lets the subjectivity of the referee's narrative control the game.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #423 on: December 16, 2019, 03:05:12 am »
No need to jump to conclusions. It’s not a conspiracy theory. At least I don’t believe the referees set out deliberately to “fix” the game. I am suggesting maybe it’s something that weighs on their minds. For example, some referees may not give a second yellow and a red upon the player committing a second yellow card offence because they might try to keep the game a contest. I don’t think others are out to get us intentionally.

when you said 'and they seemed to be fiddling with the lines to make him off' - that's kind of in 'fixing' territory wouldn't you say, maybe you didn't mean to word it that way but that is literally 'fixing' a decision if that were the case.

anyway, i get what you're saying above, personally i dont think 'keep it a contest' remotely enters their mind, because that isn't in their criteria for standard of work and ultimately they are judged by their decisions and control of the game and if their superiors judge them as dogshit, they aint getting the big games domestically or in europe/world cup (and we've seen demotions to lower leagues for refs that have had howlers)

i think the vast majority of refs (all?) simply want to get it right and as in all work arenas, some are better than others

VAR. where there are still some judgement calls to a degree, you'd hope only a tiny percentage are questionable and if you're the dude doing it, you haven't the excuses of a ref (fast play, positioning etc), we see what you see and if you're crap at that, well, i imagine you wont last long, so i think the dude's doing it are also making honest assessments on a case by case basis - some for sure are debateable (a few plain wrong in my eyes) but i think for the most part they're on track
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 03:08:49 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: December 16, 2019, 07:23:14 am »
I don't understand why everyone shat themselves over the VVD backpass. A good defender always passes to either side of the goal so that the keeper is protected in case of pitch SNAFUs or general incompetence. And VVD is the best defender in the world, so he can do it with a half-inch margin of error.

*insert Who Cares? and There Is No Need To Be Upset gifs here*

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #425 on: December 16, 2019, 07:26:18 am »
I don't understand why everyone shat themselves over the VVD backpass. A good defender always passes to either side of the goal so that the keeper is protected in case of pitch SNAFUs or general incompetence. And VVD is the best defender in the world, so he can do it with a half-inch margin of error.

*insert Who Cares? and There Is No Need To Be Upset gifs here*
:wellin

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: December 16, 2019, 12:10:16 pm »

Klopp was going absolutely ape shit at him during the 1st half. Sit near the benches and Klopp not happy about something.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #427 on: December 16, 2019, 12:41:03 pm »
That Mane disallowed goal, the Milner Shaq exchange prior to it gave me serious Gini vs Barca vibes. Both of them were like almost in the same spot.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #428 on: December 16, 2019, 01:51:23 pm »
Life affirming story about Ben Foster picking up a lost old man after a game last week here:
https://twitter.com/Diorcv/status/1205611730593824769/photo/1 picked up by the bbc if lost in the mire of twitter : https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/9da4257e-5e75-4aac-9b01-915331b268ae nice read that.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #429 on: December 16, 2019, 02:57:22 pm »
Life affirming story about Ben Foster picking up a lost old man after a game last week here:
https://twitter.com/Diorcv/status/1205611730593824769/photo/1 picked up by the bbc if lost in the mire of twitter : https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/9da4257e-5e75-4aac-9b01-915331b268ae nice read that.

That's lovely, he and his family just come across as very caring to go back and look for the guy.  Thank goodness they did too! Good man Ben Foster.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: December 16, 2019, 04:58:03 pm »
That's lovely, he and his family just come across as very caring to go back and look for the guy.  Thank goodness they did too! Good man Ben Foster.

Just goes to show that not all teenagers are rampant tearaways.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #431 on: December 16, 2019, 04:59:44 pm »
Just goes to show that not all teenagers are rampant tearaways.

it actually made me smile that they said he was travelling with his parents, like he was some kid  ;D  Young Ben Foster is a good lad though  :)

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #432 on: December 16, 2019, 05:25:30 pm »
That is class.

My father in law is 84 and sadly, is similarly afflicted.

It's a daily challenge.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #433 on: December 17, 2019, 02:50:11 pm »
it actually made me smile that they said he was travelling with his parents, like he was some kid  ;D  Young Ben Foster is a good lad though  :)

It says he was travelling with his wife and his dad.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #434 on: December 17, 2019, 04:34:43 pm »
It says he was travelling with his wife and his dad.

Must have eloped to Gretna Green with her.