Poll

Tory Christmas Party

Nothing like a good old knees up!
They should apologise and come clean
Johnson should resign
The front bench should resign
The entire party should resign
The entire party should be put in an Elon Musk rocket and fired off to jupiter with 2 packets of hula hoops and a pot noodle
I LOVE cheese!

Author Topic: Doesn't matter who you vote for as long as it's for the right reasons!  (Read 1163977 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: Politics thread III - Remember us fighting each other makes Jeremy Cry :(
« Reply #5440 on: January 21, 2020, 10:33:07 pm »
Frankly, the election of leader should be left entirely to the PLP. If we elect MPs to run the country, they should be capable of electing their own leader. It makes little sense to have party members electing a leader if their choice is an anathema to those who must work under him/her.

I disagree fundamentally. The MPs should serve the Party, which is the membership.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5441 on: January 21, 2020, 10:34:01 pm »
Frankly, the election of leader should be left entirely to the PLP. If we elect MPs to run the country, they should be capable of electing their own leader. It makes little sense to have party members electing a leader if their choice is an anathema to those who must work under him/her.

The members should have a say. Unfortunately many members have been drafted in by the nerds of Momentum.

Those lot of members have to illustrate that they are not Momentum puppets and thus far they havent done so. Its fine they backed Corbyn first time round as I would have voted for him as well. But it seems like they just take their cue from whatever Momentum want them to do.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5442 on: January 21, 2020, 10:34:44 pm »
I disagree fundamentally. The MPs should serve the Party, which is the membership.

The unions should have more of a say then if thats the case.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5443 on: January 21, 2020, 10:38:05 pm »
The members should have a say. Unfortunately many members have been drafted in by the nerds of Momentum.

Those lot of members have to illustrate that they are not Momentum puppets and thus far they havent done so. Its fine they backed Corbyn first time round as I would have voted for him as well. But it seems like they just take their cue from whatever Momentum want them to do.

Do you want to restrict membership of the party to people of a fairly narrow political opinion?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5444 on: January 21, 2020, 10:41:08 pm »

Do you want to restrict membership of the party to people of a fairly narrow political opinion?

Their political opinion is narrow. Like I said, i backed Corbyn first time around. But since then it seems whatever Momentum wants, happens, be it removing policy debates and votes from conference or attacking those people not seen to be loyal.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5445 on: January 21, 2020, 10:45:00 pm »

Shouldn't MPs serve their constituents?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5446 on: January 21, 2020, 11:05:37 pm »

If you want to go by the book and not reality, then yes.

But our democracy evolved into a party political system. They stand for election on a joint, party manifesto and follow policy dictated by the party, enforced by party whips.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5447 on: January 21, 2020, 11:58:06 pm »
FWIW, if I was designing the process from scratch I'd have the MPs choosing the leader, subject to subsequent endorsement by the party members and the unions.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #5448 on: January 22, 2020, 07:44:09 am »
If you want to go by the book and not reality, then yes.

But our democracy evolved into a party political system. They stand for election on a joint, party manifesto and follow policy dictated by the party, enforced by party whips.

Our constitutional arrangement assumes independence of thought and action by MPs even within those party structures. The Prime Minister is subject to the confidence of the House. Robert Saunders has written a fair bit on how introducing mandates from members, rather than from judgement of MPs, has caused problems such as PMs now being elected by selfselecting minorities.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/06/why-party-members-should-never-be-allowed-elect-prime-ministers
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:53:00 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5449 on: January 22, 2020, 09:18:51 am »
That's an interesting interpretation of how the British parliamentary system operates. Do not individual MPs represent their constituency? They are trusted to apply their best judgements to votes of huge national import (I know, I know). And yet, they cannot be trusted to choose the best MP within their ranks to lead them - the leader they must work with and under?

Extending from the above, Parliament should choose the PM. This would have the added benefit of focusing minds of MPs to not choose the purest or most extreme of their ranks; rather, someone who will have wider appeal within Parliament (and the nation). Failure to do this would risk the election of a PM which is not from the majority party (something, surely, the dominant party would certainly wish to avoid). If the last election of PM was up to all MPs, there is little chance that Johnson would have won. Votes of no confidence, after the fact, are not the same, because, you know, party loyalty.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5450 on: January 22, 2020, 09:21:07 am »

And how's that worked out for us all? On face value, you appear to be arguing against my point. But in actuality, your comments only reinforces my argument. Leave it to members and you and up with Johnson and Corbyn.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5451 on: January 22, 2020, 09:21:59 am »
The unions should have more of a say then if thats the case.
I do not understand how you arrive at that conclusion.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5452 on: January 22, 2020, 09:23:23 am »

Broaden it by letting MPs be the representatives of their constituents they are supposed to be.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5453 on: January 22, 2020, 09:24:18 am »
Their political opinion is narrow. Like I said, i backed Corbyn first time around. But since then it seems whatever Momentum wants, happens, be it removing policy debates and votes from conference or attacking those people not seen to be loyal.
Again, sounds more like an argument for letting MPs make the decision.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5454 on: January 22, 2020, 09:25:10 am »
Yes. Though, the nation as a whole first. Serving the party should come no further up the list than third.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5455 on: January 22, 2020, 09:27:08 am »
FWIW, if I was designing the process from scratch I'd have the MPs choosing the leader, subject to subsequent endorsement by the party members and the unions.
The problem with that is that MPs would be held to ransom: Pick our favoured MP as leader or will reject your choice until you select the 'correct' MP for the job.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5456 on: January 22, 2020, 09:33:39 am »
Again, sounds more like an argument for letting MPs make the decision.

There is a middle ground somewhere between members, unions and MP’s deciding. In fact it was probably okay until Ed Milliband fucked things up.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #5457 on: January 22, 2020, 09:34:54 am »
so if the members have no say in the matter why should bother to go out in all weathers trying to get these MP’s  elected, the problem over the decades was always the PLP being seen as some elitist club treating the members as not relevant  or worthy in the decision making!
 You go back to that ideology at your peril, there has to be a system that includes all but with a caveat that includes stepping down from the leadership if that is the only option left
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5458 on: January 22, 2020, 09:35:29 am »
Our constitutional arrangement assumes independence of thought and action by MPs even within those party structures. The Prime Minister is subject to the confidence of the House. Robert Saunders has written a fair bit on how introducing mandates from members, rather than from judgement of MPs, has caused problems such as PMs now being elected by selfselecting minorities.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/06/why-party-members-should-never-be-allowed-elect-prime-ministers
Thanks for that, Zeb. I agree wholeheartedly with the contents of that article from Robert Saunders.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5459 on: January 22, 2020, 09:38:19 am »
There is a middle ground somewhere between members, unions and MP’s deciding. In fact it was probably okay until Ed Milliband fucked things up.
Well, I certainly agree that it operated better back then. But, as we have seen, rules change. Perhaps if the system for electing the leader was fundamentally different (and black and white), there would be less incentive to 'tinker'.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5460 on: January 22, 2020, 09:44:45 am »

This is so fundamentally flawed and wrong I don't even know where to begin.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5461 on: January 22, 2020, 09:46:13 am »
so if the members have no say in the matter why should bother to go out in all weathers trying to get these MP’s  elected, the problem over the decades was always the PLP being seen as some elitist club treating the members as not relevant  or worthy in the decision making!
 You go back to that ideology at your peril, there has to be a system that includes all but with a caveat that includes stepping down from the leadership if that is the only option left
They still have voice. Although MPs should represent their constituency, their views (and the views of constituents) necessarily will be influenced by argument (and party conferences and elsewhere). We are talking about electing the party leaders (and PM) here, not policies. Though, ultimately, I would leave policy up to MPs too. They are the ones who have the extra information and resources are have to make the policies work. And, because their control of Parliament is always limited (even if the have the majority of MPs), they will always need to make compromises. Or, should all Parliamentary decisions require the approval of members of the majority party? That would seem the logical conclusion (reductio ad absurdum) of your position.

Members should only influence policy and position of party MPs. They should not have direct votes on any of it.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #5462 on: January 22, 2020, 09:52:35 am »

Probably. There's the old 'representative or delegate?' argument to it too though, isn't there? Problem for me with the idea that MPs are party delegates is that they don't get sent to Parliament on purely party votes. Biggest branch near me is currently at around 10% of the electorate for the area it covers. Enough to sneak the odd councillor on a very low turnout local election but hardly a mandate even among Labour voters otherwise.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #5463 on: January 22, 2020, 01:14:06 pm »
Nandy has made it through to the final vote in the leadership contest.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5464 on: January 22, 2020, 01:16:10 pm »
They still have voice. Although MPs should represent their constituency, their views (and the views of constituents) necessarily will be influenced by argument (and party conferences and elsewhere). We are talking about electing the party leaders (and PM) here, not policies. Though, ultimately, I would leave policy up to MPs too. They are the ones who have the extra information and resources are have to make the policies work. And, because their control of Parliament is always limited (even if the have the majority of MPs), they will always need to make compromises. Or, should all Parliamentary decisions require the approval of members of the majority party? That would seem the logical conclusion (reductio ad absurdum) of your position.

Members should only influence policy and position of party MPs. They should not have direct votes on any of it.

So first you say the members should have some input but in the end you state the members should not have any input in policy or the framework of the party including it's leader, cannot see that attracting members with the attitude of you can join pay your membership fee,  but go and sit over there and say nothing let us decide for you! How do members influence anything without any power to do so?

It has to said though most of you have been bleating on about it needs to be a broad church and totally inclusive, totally agree with that but when push comes to shove you want to only allow your own narrow views and to be told what to think by the political elite in the Westminster bubble (some of whom have no concept of problems faced by many in their constituencies) and others who pay lip service to it, in fact you seem to want them to tell the rest of us serfs how this party will be run.

This party will only work if it is inclusive of everyone with everyone having an equal say in the decision making about the party it's framework and future and certainly that includes the choice of the next leader

In the Beginning:

"The Labour Party originated in the late 19th century, meeting the demand for a new political party to represent the interests and needs of the urban working class, a demographic which had increased in number, and many of whom only gained suffrage with the passage of the Representation of the People Act 1884."
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5465 on: January 22, 2020, 01:26:28 pm »
On another matter often stated by one poster in particular about the membership and Momentum being the same thing, what actual percentage of the membership are in Momentum ?

The up to date figures for the total membership is 370,658 heading to 400,000 at its peak the total membership of Momentum was 40,000 so roughly speaking and with some crude maths that is 1 in 10 members at its peak, many will now have drifted away from Momentum or in the process of doing so,  so it will be probably more than 1-10 soon, hardly infested are they?

You could say within the NEC and the inner circle they had too much power but as fast as they arrived they can see any power diminished especially if their choice loses out in the leadership contest, some of the rest of their power can be eroded at the next conference with a new direction in place and far less apathetic members just sitting back and allowing momentum to be seemingly the voice of the party.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/more-people-have-joined-labour-since-the-election-than-are-in-the-entire-conservative-party-a6686001.html

Momentum  are in fact facing a backlash from their own members about the way they are running a ballot amongst the membership, see again people in the westminster bubble telling their members how to think is not going down well with those same members:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leadership-momentum-member-ballot-deputy-candidates-a9283826.html

I would also expect if Starmer or Nandy win they will want their own team with them so again the Corbyn inner circle Milne et.al. could be got rid off in time.

So can we perhaps think that maybe not all members are in Momentum or even think like them or allow them to speak for them.

Especially the poster with the Twitter style of posting

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:28:35 pm by Mutton Geoff »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5466 on: January 22, 2020, 03:34:32 pm »

In the Beginning:

"The Labour Party originated in the late 19th century, meeting the demand for a new political party to represent the interests and needs of the urban working class, a demographic which had increased in number, and many of whom only gained suffrage with the passage of the Representation of the People Act 1884."

Very good.

And also in "the Beginning" the leader of the Labour party was elected exclusively by the Labour MPs. That system saw Labour through to 1983 when it was reformed to allow the unions and individual members to have a say. It produced great leaders (on the whole), electable parties, and a membership that topped a million. There was no discernible effect on the activism of the members. Indeed that's all Labour had when it came to campaigning. The money went elsewhere.

We should go back to that system. It's the best guarantee that the party will be led by someone capable of performing well in parliament and beating the Conservatives in elections.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5467 on: January 22, 2020, 03:53:03 pm »
Momentum’s influence goes well beyond their members within the membership, so if only 10% are momentum members id wager that many times more would have taken their lead for things like NEC voting, especially over the last 4 years

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5468 on: January 22, 2020, 04:05:33 pm »
Momentum’s influence goes well beyond their members within the membership, so if only 10% are momentum members id wager that many times more would have taken their lead for things like NEC voting, especially over the last 4 years
Momentums mailing list ?
Was there a bit of a stink a few years back, Labour members were getting emails from Momentum, they wanted to know how Momentum got hold of Labour members email addresses. something like that anyway.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5469 on: January 22, 2020, 04:22:28 pm »
Very good.

And also in "the Beginning" the leader of the Labour party was elected exclusively by the Labour MPs. That system saw Labour through to 1983 when it was reformed to allow the unions and individual members to have a say. It produced great leaders (on the whole), electable parties, and a membership that topped a million. There was no discernible effect on the activism of the members. Indeed that's all Labour had when it came to campaigning. The money went elsewhere.

We should go back to that system. It's the best guarantee that the party will be led by someone capable of performing well in parliament and beating the Conservatives in elections.
Well, I did realise that. I was only just becoming interested in politics at that time and was not old enough to vote. Yep. We should definitely go back to that.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #5470 on: January 22, 2020, 04:26:17 pm »

I’ll keep saying this but it made no difference. Even under the old system Corbyn would have won, he won 49% of first preference votes amount members and even more with the affiliates. Take out the £3’ers and he still would have walked it.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5471 on: January 22, 2020, 04:29:00 pm »
In a positive step my TU is running a ballot on who it should endorse rather then just decided by the leadership.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5472 on: January 22, 2020, 04:36:57 pm »
In a positive step my TU is running a ballot on who it should endorse rather then just decided by the leadership.

Which union is that?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5473 on: January 22, 2020, 04:54:46 pm »

That's really encouraging. You've probably said before (or maybe you don't want to say) but which union is this?

I thought this was encouraging too. Welcome signs of the party getting its act together at grass roots level: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/22/pick-long-bailey-and-its-over-the-view-from-the-ruins-of-labours-red-wall

Though I see Ian Lavery is asking Keir Starmer to stand down today. He's playing the gender card. Hypocrite.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5474 on: January 22, 2020, 05:05:56 pm »
TSSA - Transport Salaried Staffs Association, TU for non-operational ie white collar Transport Workers in the rail industry primarily, but also others like staff at places like Thomas Cook.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5475 on: January 22, 2020, 05:14:25 pm »
Very good.

That system which saw just 3 elected Labour PM's in 60-odd years?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5476 on: January 22, 2020, 05:17:31 pm »

Yep.  Clearly they were on to a winner.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5477 on: January 22, 2020, 05:37:30 pm »
And - as per Yorky's comments a few posts up - just one elected PM since the Labour Party changed the rules in 1983 (previously, the leader was elected by the PLP only).

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5478 on: January 22, 2020, 05:57:35 pm »
So first you say the members should have some input but in the end you state the members should not have any input in policy or the framework of the party including it's leader, cannot see that attracting members with the attitude of you can join pay your membership fee,  but go and sit over there and say nothing let us decide for you! How do members influence anything without any power to do so?

It has to said though most of you have been bleating on about it needs to be a broad church and totally inclusive, totally agree with that but when push comes to shove you want to only allow your own narrow views and to be told what to think by the political elite in the Westminster bubble (some of whom have no concept of problems faced by many in their constituencies) and others who pay lip service to it, in fact you seem to want them to tell the rest of us serfs how this party will be run.

This party will only work if it is inclusive of everyone with everyone having an equal say in the decision making about the party it's framework and future and certainly that includes the choice of the next leader

In the Beginning:

This is a good point.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5479 on: January 22, 2020, 06:54:45 pm »

Yes.

You could have said the system which saw the Labour Party grow from zero seats to almost 300 in 29 years and which saw Labour challenge and overthrow the Tory-Liberal duopoly.

Or you could have said the system that saw Labour form the government 8 times in 50 years.

Or you could have said the system that elected a leader who proved to be the most valuable civilian lieutenant that Churchill had during War and went on to spearhead the creation of a social-democratic welfare state that still exists in part today.