Author Topic: The PC Gaming Thread  (Read 264271 times)

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #3120 on: December 4, 2019, 03:27:22 am »
Darren will be pleased to know I've backtracked on the Quest ;D Despite my glowing review in the VR thread I can't get over the comfort issues. I can get it comfortable after modding it but it's a hassle to adjust which negates some of the selling points. I.e. the portability and social aspects. If it was only me using it I'd keep it.

Out of the box the strap is inadequate and that's a huge shame. Depends on your head shape mind you, my mate has no issues with it - I guess my head is a bit borked.

I'm sending it back to get a Rift S. I'll get the next Quest revision as I imagine they'll change the design and probably have native PC support out the box. They've stumbled across a winning ticket here so I don't imagine they'll continue to segment their SKUs.

Seriously though, that's pretty ironic as I was about to ask you if you'd played that Richie's Plank game after seeing people freaking the hell out in a youtube video.  Not sure about the head shape thing, but saw Linus doing a review (the guy's got a pretty small head) and he had massive pressure marks that looked like welts after an extended period with it on.  As you say, it's conceptually great though and I'm sure that there will be improvements both in comfort and overall functionality down the road. 
« Last Edit: December 4, 2019, 03:38:02 am by Darren G »

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3121 on: December 4, 2019, 04:02:27 am »

Seriously though, that's pretty ironic as I was about to ask you if you'd played that Richie's Plank game after seeing people freaking the hell out in a youtube video.  Not sure about the head shape thing, but saw Linus doing a review (the guy's got a pretty small head) and he had massive pressure marks that looked like welts after an extended period with it on.  As you say, it's conceptually great though and I'm sure that there will be improvements both in comfort and overall functionality down the road. 

Ha, I actually bought the Quest off the back of Linus' video! In particular Riley's glowing enthusiasm.

The head shape is a bit of an issue, if you have a nice 'bump' in the back of your head the strap fits better and you don't need to go too tight (it's still a bit bad). My head is a bit flatter so I have to overtighten. It's comfortable after modding: https://i.imgur.com/MFyoovE.jpg but as you can see there's a lot of adjustments to be made. I just want stuff that works nowadays, getting old.

I'll grab the Plank game for the Rift, I've avoided watching videos on it but from what I've heard it should be a laugh.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2019, 04:04:40 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3122 on: December 4, 2019, 09:19:20 am »
Ha, I actually bought the Quest off the back of Linus' video! In particular Riley's glowing enthusiasm.

The head shape is a bit of an issue, if you have a nice 'bump' in the back of your head the strap fits better and you don't need to go too tight (it's still a bit bad). My head is a bit flatter so I have to overtighten. It's comfortable after modding: https://i.imgur.com/MFyoovE.jpg but as you can see there's a lot of adjustments to be made. I just want stuff that works nowadays, getting old.

I'll grab the Plank game for the Rift, I've avoided watching videos on it but from what I've heard it should be a laugh.

Yeah, I'm exactly the same mate, so bollocks to that (modification).  I even got pissed off recently having to to fine tune the power and fan profiles before my 5700xt would work properly.  I'm pleased with the purchase, but it's still a typical amd card in that some of the stuff simply doesn't work 'out of the box'.  Enabling the auto overclock feature for example without fail results in a complete system crash and restart.   As for the plank game, yeah, it looks a right laugh.  Would be good after a couple of bevvies I'd imagine.   Nightmare mode looks good on it too.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2019, 09:35:55 am by Darren G »

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3123 on: December 6, 2019, 04:42:08 am »
Yeah, I'm exactly the same mate, so bollocks to that (modification).  I even got pissed off recently having to to fine tune the power and fan profiles before my 5700xt would work properly.  I'm pleased with the purchase, but it's still a typical amd card in that some of the stuff simply doesn't work 'out of the box'.  Enabling the auto overclock feature for example without fail results in a complete system crash and restart.   As for the plank game, yeah, it looks a right laugh.  Would be good after a couple of bevvies I'd imagine.   Nightmare mode looks good on it too.

The 5700XT cards are a bit mad depending on which you go with, which one did you get? I do miss the days of fucking around but every hour seems precious nowadays :D I guess that's where nVidia (by and large) shine, they're still shafting everyone with prices though and like you I'm not going to buy in with this current generation - there's no sensible upgrades from my GTX 1080.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3124 on: December 6, 2019, 12:19:06 pm »
The 5700XT cards are a bit mad depending on which you go with, which one did you get? I do miss the days of fucking around but every hour seems precious nowadays :D I guess that's where nVidia (by and large) shine, they're still shafting everyone with prices though and like you I'm not going to buy in with this current generation - there's no sensible upgrades from my GTX 1080.

Saphire Pulse.  They seem to pretty much all run hot as mofos though, with the only major difference being the level of noise, so given that I live in Australia these days (and it's been a fucking awful 37 degrees C today) that's not ideal.  If I'd been on a 1080 like yourself I would have stayed put for now too, but I was on a 1070 and I was struggling for performance on a number of titles.  I did consider the 2070S as I've mentioned previously, due mainly to Nvidia traditionally having less issues out of the box and less troublesome driver support.  At the end of the day though, the 5700xt was simply far better 'bang for the buck'..... though unlike yourself I haven't missed having to fuck around one bit.  I'll probably upgrade my entire system again in the next 12-18 months anyhow. 

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3125 on: December 9, 2019, 08:40:07 pm »
How does your PC even run with those ambient temps ;D? I had the same issue when I was in Hong Kong, basically had to factor in electricity costs for air conditioning.

I just caved and got a 2070 Super, came to £391 due to the 10% eBay sale ;D

If anyone's interested I have a custom watercooled GTX 1080 for sale, £250.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-armor-oc-8gb-gddr5x-vr-ready-graphics-card-2560-core-1657mhz-gpu-1797mhz-boost
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-H50-Quiet-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060006-WW
https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/kraken-g12

« Last Edit: December 9, 2019, 08:48:01 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: December 10, 2019, 02:10:55 pm »
How does your PC even run with those ambient temps ;D? I had the same issue when I was in Hong Kong, basically had to factor in electricity costs for air conditioning.

I just caved and got a 2070 Super, came to £391 due to the 10% eBay sale ;D

If anyone's interested I have a custom watercooled GTX 1080 for sale, £250.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-armor-oc-8gb-gddr5x-vr-ready-graphics-card-2560-core-1657mhz-gpu-1797mhz-boost
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-H50-Quiet-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060006-WW
https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/kraken-g12

Not having a go mate, but I genuinely don't understand why you'd choose that over the 5700xt given the relative price/performance of the two cards.  As I said, there was a bit of messing about with fan/power curves to get the 5700xt working optimally, but...well I just don't get it.  Ah well, to each their own. Comparison with latest drivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmlRzGhdWdM

One thing that I will say in AMD's favour is that having owned both Nvidia and AMD within the last year, AMD's VSR is far, far superior to Nvidia's DSR. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:22:21 pm by Darren G »

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3127 on: December 10, 2019, 02:28:48 pm »
Not having a go mate, but I genuinely don't understand why you'd choose that over the 5700xt given the relative price/performance of the two cards.  As I said, there was a bit of messing about with fan/power curves to get the 5700xt working optimally, but...well I just don't get it.  Ah well, to each their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmlRzGhdWdM

One thing that I will say in AMD's favour is that having owned both Nvidia and AMD within the last year, AMD's VSR is far, far superior to Nvidia's DSR. 

I think £391 was pretty decent for the 2070S. Would be paying more for a good 5700XT though they are generally cheaper.

I'm not too bothered either way - I'll buy what makes sense price wise most of the time, the issue is I have a 3440x1440 monitor with G-Sync as a module. Sort of locked into the ecosystem for a bit. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there wasn't any Freesync options for what I wanted :(

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3128 on: December 10, 2019, 05:58:36 pm »
I think £391 was pretty decent for the 2070S. Would be paying more for a good 5700XT though they are generally cheaper.

I'm not too bothered either way - I'll buy what makes sense price wise most of the time, the issue is I have a 3440x1440 monitor with G-Sync as a module. Sort of locked into the ecosystem for a bit. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there wasn't any Freesync options for what I wanted :(

Ah, I'd forgotten that you'd recently bought that flash g-sync monitor.  I honestly don't think that there's half as much difference between so called 'good' and 'bad' 5700xts as youtubers make out to be honest, but given that you've just bought an Nvidia card that's a somewhat redundant debate at this point.  Regarding the monitor, do you find gaming feels a lot different on that wide a screen?  I've intermittently considered buying an ultrawide myself.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:56:59 am by Darren G »

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3129 on: December 12, 2019, 12:20:55 pm »
Ah, I'd forgotten that you'd recently bought that flash g-sync monitor.  I honestly don't think that there's half as much difference between so called 'good' and 'bad' 5700xts as youtubers make out to be honest, but given that you've just bought an Nvidia card that's a somewhat redundant debate at this point.  Regarding the monitor, do you find gaming feels a lot different on that wide a screen?  I've intermittently considered buying an ultrawide myself.

It's really bloody good to be honest ;D I thought it might be better suited to first person games but things like The Witcher are just that much better and more immersive. Racing games are great too (Forza decent but more so Project Cars which has a lot more options), though I expect I'll switch to the Rift S for these.

The only game I dial it back for is Counter Strike where having so much on the screen is too much of a distraction - so I'm 16:9 there with black bars.

Obviously great for 4K movies which are generally 21:9. Productivity and general use are important to me too and with this I no longer need a second monitor.

I don't think they exist but a TN panel would be a no even if it's curved. Curved is a must at this size, I have an IPS panel but I think the VA ones are fine. Also this monitor comes with a 120Hz option, many I looked at before were 100Hz... but after running a few games at that refresh rate I think the difference is a bit too noticeable.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:22:35 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3130 on: December 12, 2019, 01:22:26 pm »
It's really bloody good to be honest ;D I thought it might be better suited to first person games but things like The Witcher are just that much better and more immersive. Racing games are great too (Forza decent but more so Project Cars which has a lot more options), though I expect I'll switch to the Rift S for these.

The only game I dial it back for is Counter Strike where having so much on the screen is too much of a distraction - so I'm 16:9 there with black bars.

Obviously great for 4K movies which are generally 21:9. Productivity and general use are important to me too and with this I no longer need a second monitor.

I don't think they exist but a TN panel would be a no even if it's curved. Curved is a must at this size, I have an IPS panel but I think the VA ones are fine. Also this monitor comes with a 120Hz option, many I looked at before were 100Hz... but after running a few games at that refresh rate I think the difference is a bit too noticeable.

Oh you utter bastard!  Now I'm probably going to have to spend more bloody money.  ;D

Games like The Witcher, Assassin's Creed and the like are what I spend probably the majority of my time playing and I wasn't sure how they would translate onto a screen that wide, but you've made it sound very tempting.  Not too bothered about movies as I have a big-arsed TV for that and I also prefer a nice big recliner, which is impractical for my PC setup as it's situated in my smallest bedroom.

As for the VR, I'm assuming that by Project Cars you mean '2'.  I haven't played the first game, but PC2 is absolutely fucking mental in terms of immersion using VR with a wheel/pedals.  Lock-up in the wet at Le Mans and your arse tightens up.  The whole line between reality and game gets pretty blurred. It's a completely different experience and I can pretty much guarantee that you'll never want to go back to a monitor to play it.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3131 on: December 12, 2019, 07:05:26 pm »
This 36" Benq curved screen is the best thing I've bought for my PC since the new Ryzen chip and accompanying moboard  this summer

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3132 on: December 12, 2019, 08:06:59 pm »
Any recommendations for a monitor upgrade? Looking for 27" ideally, 1440p. I'm not an online gamer at all so things like refresh rate don't seem to be something I need to invest in. PC's main usage will be web, home office apps, some occasional movie/tv watching, and single player RPGs, GTA5 etc. I've got an nVidia card at present and have always had driver issues with AMD so would probably stick with nVidia next time around.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3133 on: December 13, 2019, 10:03:23 am »
Any recommendations for a monitor upgrade? Looking for 27" ideally, 1440p. I'm not an online gamer at all so things like refresh rate don't seem to be something I need to invest in. PC's main usage will be web, home office apps, some occasional movie/tv watching, and single player RPGs, GTA5 etc. I've got an nVidia card at present and have always had driver issues with AMD so would probably stick with nVidia next time around.

Right now it's actually the other way around.  AMD have just released a new driver suite, which leaves Nvidia's in the dust and the latest AMD drivers are very good.  Conversely, a lot of people have been having problems with Nvidia drivers recently, with a lot of different issues.  Who will have the best cards when you are ready to upgrade is anybody's guess, but assuming that Nvidia will have less driver issues would be presumptuous at this point in time.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #3134 on: December 13, 2019, 10:26:38 am »
Was going to post this in the Xbox Series X thread but this might be more suitable.

Basically, I wanted to save up for the new Xbox.  I have had a One since launch day 6 years ago.  Got a PS4 Pro last Christmas.  Got a PC this summer - main purpose was for Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop but also with a view to gaming a bit:

Ryzen 7 2700X
GTX 1660
16 GB RAM
1 TB SSD and 4 TB HDD

My question is whether you guys think there would be any point in buying a Series X?

One big reason for my doubt:  My monitor is pretty average.  It's HD but only 60 Hz and the colours don't look particularly good.  I could buy a new monitor and I reckon my PC would play most games at a decent level.  And the monitor would be cheaper than a Series X.  Another doubt I have - if I did buy a series X, I'd need a new TV.  My TV is, in theory, 4k with HDR, but it's a relatively cheap Phillips set (55 inch with ambilight) and I suspect I wouldn't even get the most out of the X.

I'm thinking now I leave the Series X until I get a new TV when we build our new house but that could be a couple of years away.

Opinions?  I'm new to PC gaming really so not sure what to do.

(One note:  I cannot for the life of me use keyboard and mouse and I believe I'd get smoked playing FPS online with a controller - that's one reason I've always liked consoles)

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3135 on: December 15, 2019, 12:04:23 pm »
Sounds like a decent plan to be honest. I'd generally avoid consoles on launch, that said I imagine they're going to be good value for the performance you'll inevitably get and they're fully backwards compatible. The line is starting to blur between consoles and PC as they become more iterative and PC-like in nature. At the end of the day they're both going to be 8 core Ryzen consoles with an AMD GPU.

High refresh rate gaming and Adaptive-Sync/Freesync does mean you'd need to factor that in to the TV discussion, but high refresh 4K TVs are going to be in excess of £1000 and I doubt the Series X will support 100FPS+ at 4K on most titles natively (not a fact, just my opinion). So a solid 4K TV like you have might be fine.

What monitor are you planning on getting? It might make sense to get that and just see what the deal is with these new consoles when they're released.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #3136 on: December 15, 2019, 05:09:31 pm »
Sounds like a decent plan to be honest. I'd generally avoid consoles on launch, that said I imagine they're going to be good value for the performance you'll inevitably get and they're fully backwards compatible. The line is starting to blur between consoles and PC as they become more iterative and PC-like in nature. At the end of the day they're both going to be 8 core Ryzen consoles with an AMD GPU.

High refresh rate gaming and Adaptive-Sync/Freesync does mean you'd need to factor that in to the TV discussion, but high refresh 4K TVs are going to be in excess of £1000 and I doubt the Series X will support 100FPS+ at 4K on most titles natively (not a fact, just my opinion). So a solid 4K TV like you have might be fine.

What monitor are you planning on getting? It might make sense to get that and just see what the deal is with these new consoles when they're released.
Not sure what monitor to get. I've done a bit more research my GTX 1660 is probably only good enough to play 1080 at a good frame rate so unless I buy a new card (which I really don't want to) it'll probably be a simple 1080, low response monitor with Gsync compatibility.

Gaming costs so much money  ::)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3137 on: January 22, 2020, 04:14:01 pm »
Trying to figure out why my PC will not boot (showing the 'insert proper boot device error). Bios is recognising both drives still, so is it more likely to be Win 10 problem than the ssd dying after a couple of years (Samsung Evo 850)? Other alternative is mobo but seems perfectly happy finding bios.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #3138 on: January 22, 2020, 04:20:06 pm »
Trying to figure out why my PC will not boot (showing the 'insert proper boot device error). Bios is recognising both drives still, so is it more likely to be Win 10 problem than the ssd dying after a couple of years (Samsung Evo 850)? Other alternative is mobo but seems perfectly happy finding bios.
Apologies if this sounds condescending but....have you removed every input (particularly USBs) to your PC before turning it on?

No idea how or why if happened but my mouse wireless adapter stops my PC from booting every single time, have to remove it for a restart

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3139 on: January 22, 2020, 04:36:55 pm »
Apologies if this sounds condescending but....have you removed every input (particularly USBs) to your PC before turning it on?

No idea how or why if happened but my mouse wireless adapter stops my PC from booting every single time, have to remove it for a restart

Haha, nah, I am at 'all suggestions gratefully received' before new ssd and a win 10 recovery flash drive arrive tomorrow. (It recognises my current flash drive but not the win 10 iso I downloaded via phone on it.)

No USB devices attached returns same failure to boot. Likewise trying solely boot drive attached. CMOS has been reset, and recognised in bios, too.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:57:04 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3140 on: January 22, 2020, 05:51:16 pm »

You've checked your boot order is correct is the BIOS? Your drive with windows on should be first in the order.

The most basic thing to try before anything else is to restart your computer whilst holding control, alt and delete.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:59:12 pm by Darren G »

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #3141 on: January 22, 2020, 06:17:45 pm »
Haha, nah, I am at 'all suggestions gratefully received' before new ssd and a win 10 recovery flash drive arrive tomorrow. (It recognises my current flash drive but not the win 10 iso I downloaded via phone on it.)

No USB devices attached returns same failure to boot. Likewise trying solely boot drive attached. CMOS has been reset, and recognised in bios, too.

Sounds like your OS is corrupt.  All hardware is being detected so it looks to be software related.

Is UEFI enabled in bios?

You can access the advanced start up menu by forcing the machine to shut down 3 times when it boots.  Once in the menu, select troubleshoot then advanced options, look for command prompt.  Run the command "sfc /scannow" - this will scan your OS for any discrepancies and fix accordingly. 

Other things you can try - when in the advanced start up menu, select troubleshoot then advanced options, select uninstall updates, remove the feature update / latest quality update.  Try to boot again.

when in the advanced start up menu, select troubleshoot then advanced options, run start up repair.

If that fails, access advanced start up menu again, select troubleshoot then advanced options, select startup settings then restart.  You will be given a choice of options to select from, try booting to safe mode w/ networking by pressing "5" i believe. 

If that also fails, access the same menu as before (safe mode etc), but this time select disable driver signature enforcement.  Try to reboot.

Hopefully one of those work.  If not, id dock the hard drive an pull any important data (though, any important data should be on the cloud already!! :) ) and reinstall the OS.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3142 on: January 22, 2020, 06:30:58 pm »
You've checked your boot order is correct is the BIOS? Your drive with windows on should be first in the order.

The most basic thing to try before anything else is to restart your computer whilst holding control, alt and delete.

Yeah boot order is correct when both drives attached, with only the ssd attached the mobo recognises it in bios but fails to boot. Tried same with hdd just in case. <_< Bios is on its optimised presets besides any tinkering with boot order.

Cntrl alt delete does nothing different to not doing it on a restart.

-----

Thanks Teapot will give that a go. UEFI and legacy both tried, currently optimised settings has it on.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:33:49 pm by Zeb »

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #3143 on: January 22, 2020, 06:33:42 pm »
Yeah boot order is correct when both drives attached, with only the ssd attached the mobo recognises it in bios but fails to boot. Tried same with hdd just in case. <_< Bios is on its optimised presets besides any tinkering with boot order.

Cntrl alt delete does nothing different to not doing it on a restart.

Have you ran a hardware diagnostic on the SSD?  It could potentially be failing as well.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3144 on: January 22, 2020, 06:35:15 pm »
Have you ran a hardware diagnostic on the SSD?

Would love to but only got a mobile til tomorrow afternoon and a rush delivery for a new ssd to try.

Edit: yeah, it wants nothing to do with win 10. Will have to try with the flash drive tomorrow for advanced menu. F11 and trying to force it both not doing it.

Thank you for the suggestions all. I shall have to reacquaint myself with printed words for the evening.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:54:48 pm by Zeb »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3145 on: January 23, 2020, 01:21:32 pm »
There's a chance it's the drive but I've had the same thing with Windows 10. When I had it it, it was the master boot record getting corrupted (mind, I'm sure it told me that in some way) and that problem would follow the drive the OS is on, no matter the order or other devices so would survive any other media unless taken out the loop entirely (I think I sorted mine by simply putting Windows on a different disk / partition and changing the boot order - basically, the MBR is tied to the Windows installation)

Worth a go for when you get to Advanced Options:

- Command Prompt is an option on the right

- Then in order do these one by one

BOOTREC /FIXMBR
BOOTREC /FIXBCD
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
BOOTSECT /NT60 ALL

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:28:03 pm by ToneLa »

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3146 on: January 23, 2020, 02:41:31 pm »
Yeah it's going to be either corrupted MBR or OS, unfortunately if it's neither of those you're looking at a faulty drive (or hopefully just a SATA cable).

Is there anything important on there? I'd just blat it and start over. Mind you I have my system setup in such a way where only my OS and applications are on C:

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3147 on: January 23, 2020, 04:18:38 pm »
Mine did that and turned out it was just a loose connection with the sata cable. Worth checking

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3148 on: January 23, 2020, 04:24:34 pm »
Thanks Tone and Kash. Sounds like you two were onto it or something similar. Just got it all back up and running again. Recovery flash worked so far as it went, which wasn't particularly far. Both drives are physically fine, reporting no errors of any sort, but the recovery flash didn't recognise anything to actually repair or recover. Like Win 10 had been nuked. Installed onto new drive and found both the old drives were reporting as blank. Tried some command prompt efforts like ToneLa suggested but nothing doing. Only thing lost is time really with redownloading stuff and figuring out what's missing as I come to it so nuking the old drives and starting again. Confused af as to what caused it though, never had anything like it before. Had a look for viruses just in case but nothing there either.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3149 on: January 24, 2020, 10:33:03 am »
Thanks Tone and Kash. Sounds like you two were onto it or something similar. Just got it all back up and running again. Recovery flash worked so far as it went, which wasn't particularly far. Both drives are physically fine, reporting no errors of any sort, but the recovery flash didn't recognise anything to actually repair or recover. Like Win 10 had been nuked. Installed onto new drive and found both the old drives were reporting as blank. Tried some command prompt efforts like ToneLa suggested but nothing doing. Only thing lost is time really with redownloading stuff and figuring out what's missing as I come to it so nuking the old drives and starting again. Confused af as to what caused it though, never had anything like it before. Had a look for viruses just in case but nothing there either.

Glad you're sorted :)

A hard drive becoming a blank drive, then, is a weird scenario but certainly not unheard of. If you've since the done error checking tool etc within Windows to no issue I wouldn't really worry! Just make sure that drive reports as the correct size (if not or you're really arsed I'd try something like Minitool Partition Wizard (free) as stuff like hidden partitions sometimes isn't picked up by Windows itself)

Seems like progress though. Finding the cause of stuff like this is a nightmare; the way I'd see it, if you can't find a problem now and all seems well... don't worry about it :)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3150 on: January 24, 2020, 08:43:54 pm »
Glad you're sorted :)

A hard drive becoming a blank drive, then, is a weird scenario but certainly not unheard of. If you've since the done error checking tool etc within Windows to no issue I wouldn't really worry! Just make sure that drive reports as the correct size (if not or you're really arsed I'd try something like Minitool Partition Wizard (free) as stuff like hidden partitions sometimes isn't picked up by Windows itself)

Seems like progress though. Finding the cause of stuff like this is a nightmare; the way I'd see it, if you can't find a problem now and all seems well... don't worry about it :)

*cries in 120+ hour three game spanning Witcher save I didn't save to cloud* ;D

Yeah, all the right size and the usual 'how many gigs in a terrabyte?' routine to it. Appreciate the help.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3151 on: January 28, 2020, 07:52:06 pm »
*cries in 120+ hour three game spanning Witcher save I didn't save to cloud* ;D

Yeah, all the right size and the usual 'how many gigs in a terrabyte?' routine to it. Appreciate the help.

Small bit of advice here, use Google Drive (think it's called Google Backup and Sync now).

I have it setup so that my 'Documents' folder is always synchronized, anything important I'll stick in there too. Most games use that folder for saves too.

Bit shit with the save though, unfortunately SSDs utilise TRIM which means data recovery is hard/impossible. I learnt that the hard way when I forgot to move my Bitcoin wallet from my OS hard drive and voluntarily (sigh) formatted because the computer felt a bit sluggish. Those 14 bitcoins were worth £200ish at the time but are now worth £96,000 ;D

Rather frustrating like.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3152 on: January 29, 2020, 06:43:15 am »
Small bit of advice here, use Google Drive (think it's called Google Backup and Sync now).

I have it setup so that my 'Documents' folder is always synchronized, anything important I'll stick in there too. Most games use that folder for saves too.

Bit shit with the save though, unfortunately SSDs utilise TRIM which means data recovery is hard/impossible. I learnt that the hard way when I forgot to move my Bitcoin wallet from my OS hard drive and voluntarily (sigh) formatted because the computer felt a bit sluggish. Those 14 bitcoins were worth £200ish at the time but are now worth £96,000 ;D

Rather frustrating like.

Oof. That's an incredibly painful price for early adoption.

I was using OneDrive to backup essentials but ran out of space because there's two of us using it across devices. Incentive to split some of that out elsewhere, yeah. Although Witcher saves vs partner's photographs and I think I'll take the hit on that one. I *think*. ;D

So far as I can tell, motherboard's bios also reloaded from its safe space. So proper mess going on somehow.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3153 on: February 6, 2020, 11:00:29 am »
Anybody interested in a GTX 1080? Been too lazy to eBay it.

£250

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3154 on: February 28, 2020, 05:40:59 pm »
Baldur’s Gate 3 gameplay revealed.
They went full turn based apparently.

Looks nice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/fa9go8/leaked_baldurs_gate_iii_screenshots/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #3155 on: March 26, 2020, 10:05:18 am »
Can anyone help with a problem I'm having with steam? I thought I'd download FM as it's free for a week but every time I try to install it it comes up with an error message with a reason "invalid platform". Does anyone know if there's anything I can do about this?
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #3156 on: March 26, 2020, 10:50:38 am »
Try uninstalling Steam to see if it helps.

I got that error sometime end of last year. I uninstalled Steam and reinstalled it after a couple of hours and it went away.

Offline Perham

• Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #3157 on: March 26, 2020, 10:52:43 am »
Try uninstalling Steam to see if it helps.

I got that error sometime end of last year. I uninstalled Steam and reinstalled it after a couple of hours and it went away.
I'll give it a go cheers
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3158 on: March 26, 2020, 10:59:42 am »
I'll give it a go cheers

I've had this before, happened when I tried to install it directly from the store page, installing it from the library fixed it though so might be worth trying before uninstalling steam

Offline Perham

• Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #3159 on: March 26, 2020, 11:13:49 am »
I've had this before, happened when I tried to install it directly from the store page, installing it from the library fixed it though so might be worth trying before uninstalling steam
Too late ;D I'll try that if it doesn't work though