Author Topic: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.  (Read 52961 times)

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
Re: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 10:03:01 pm »
Episode 5 was brilliant. Probably my favourite episode.

Spoiler
Tyrell and his wife are absolute loons! The bathroom scene was top notch! He barely said a word but the power he had over that women was obvious.
[close]

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 10:05:26 pm »
Great find fello rawkites. Just finished episode 5. Bubbling along nicely. The mannerisms of the  E Corp guy Tyrell  are so much like Christian Bales portrayal of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. Love it!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:08:38 pm by bobadicious »
Football is a lie

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2015, 10:27:30 pm »
its so kubrick the bleakness.

Even the strange camera setups and soundtrack.

To me its seems how he may have made a TV series in the Internet age.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:43:40 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 01:59:32 am »
Episode 5 was brilliant. Probably my favourite episode.

Spoiler
Tyrell and his wife are absolute loons! The bathroom scene was top notch! He barely said a word but the power he had over that women was obvious.
[close]
In fact, I am starting to get bored with the show. First 15 minutes were especially hard to watch, I must have paused the show at least 10 times to take the piss, to get a cup of tea etc.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 02:39:34 am »
Great find fello rawkites. Just finished episode 5. Bubbling along nicely. The mannerisms of the  E Corp guy Tyrell  are so much like Christian Bales portrayal of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. Love it!

Agree with the Bateman comparison, reminds me of a mixture of him and Frank and his wife in House of Cards

In fact, I am starting to get bored with the show. First 15 minutes were especially hard to watch, I must have paused the show at least 10 times to take the piss, to get a cup of tea etc.

You should see a doctor about your bladder mate  ;D
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2015, 03:16:27 am »

You should see a doctor about your bladder mate  ;D
Seriously, is ti bad that I go to pee often? I drink, then in in 1-2 hours, I go (sometimes more often). I have googled it several times, couldn't find any consistent information.

Here in the US, doctors are guaranteed to ask for a lot of tests.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2015, 09:50:40 am »
So... What the fuck is Mr Robot?  ;D

Spoiler
Was that scene where he interacts with Darlene while Eliot is standing by, just him taking control, Tyler Durden-esque?
[close]

I was reading this theory earlier.

Spoiler
I noticed that when Mr. Robot interacts with people, Elliot fades into the background and when Elliot is the one talking with people, Mr. Robot is the one that fades. I'm going with the theory that they're two sides of the same person. Meaning whenever Mr. Robot picks things up or talks to people, it's actually Elliot doing it in reality.
[close]

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2015, 09:55:06 am »
Spoiler
The Lynch'esque toilet scene was the highlight of the episode 5 for me - will be interesting to see how that exploitation of the Evil Corp exec develops, as I find Wellick and his nutty bird more interesting than the at times clichéd and one-dimensional hacker gang and Elliot's (rather tedious) junkie-chic .....overall there's something quite...erm, unlikeable about the show..cant quite put my finger on it...but maybe that's the point...     
[close]
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2015, 10:55:37 pm »
I enjoyed every second of the last ep, it was monumental.

Think about it Bill...

https://vid.me/tYJn
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2015, 05:12:59 am »
Just binged all 5 episodes so far. It is, for sure, the best thing currently on TV, and has the potential to be one of the greats. It's just got that something special that all great shows have. No slow burn here, it just hooks you from the start and doesn't let it's grip go. Admittedly a bit forceful with it's narrative on social commentary in the beginning to the point where it seemed like it could go overboard by trying to hard to be cool, it's relented on that just to the right degree to where it gets it's point across without being too obvious or in your face about it. It doesn't insult your intelligence. I love the little references thrown in there too, current and past pop culture; the scene where they were watching Hackers and commenting on how daft it was. It's definitely aware of what it's trying to achieve and what it's target demographic is.   Oh, and it's style: obviously Fight Club inspired, mixed with a Kubrick-like visual style and direction (as Trada has already pointed out and is spot on) and the 80's style synth music - the use of Tangerine Dream's soundtrack at the end of Ep 5 was a stroke of genius - it all adds up to something unique. Other shows have tried to do something similar with the whole computer hacker thing and come off either cheesy or just flat out shite. Just look at Person of Interest as an obvious example of that. I can't wait to see more of this. I just hope it can maintain it's current quality and not go mad and fly off the rails.

Oh, and did anyone recognise the voice of his fish is ep 4?

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2015, 05:27:19 am »
I enjoyed every second of the last ep, it was monumental.

Think about it Bill...

https://vid.me/tYJn

Come on people that was so Stanley Kubrick.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2015, 08:39:41 am »
consider me stumped.  having read all the buzz, i watched all 5 episodes over the weekend, and i just can't see what's meant to be so great, especially when it has all the things that should make it just my sort of show. 

i mean, it looks great, but it's essentially a pretty mediocre, charmless mashup of fight club (darlene even looks like HBC), the matrix and sherlock.  i have no problem with the politics, but there's nothing subtle about the show at all.  it just seems to be much less than the sum of its influences.

if it turns out that mr robot and elliot are the same person then i might just give up on TV for good.

nice gag about some TV writer messing up this generation's view of hacker culture though :)

Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2015, 06:22:08 pm »
I like the fact it's so direct to be honest

Elliot is an unreliable narrator, a drug addict of questionable mental health in conflict with the world and himself, so I don't get the feeling that the show is trying to preach or anything, he and his world-view is just the focal point that we're following.

I'm no expert (the opposite in fact) but it seems to be wonderfully shot too. Really immersive.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:09 pm »

I'm no expert (the opposite in fact) but it seems to be wonderfully shot too. Really immersive.

It really is, every shot is brilliant. I think this will be very successful show, if it's not already.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:03 pm »
Another excellent episode today, it has multiple plots going on but none of them are weak. It doesn't feel like any one character is infallible either, they all have their own weaknesses and they all make mistakes.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2015, 03:20:40 pm »
I feel like Tangerine Dream are following me round. Appeared in the last episode of this, I've just watched Thief which they scored, and been playing tons of GTA which they also scored.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 12:25:05 am »
By an absolute country mile the best new show on TV. So of the shots in that latest episode were amazing.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 02:37:01 am »
that episode was the best so far, and added BB to its list of 'homages'.  with his magical appearance on the stairs, it's looking more and more likely that mr. robot = tyler durden, which means he probably won't be now.

despite all the elegant photography and directorial flourishes, the wellick subplot is far more interesting than the tedious main character and his monotone.  i laughed out loud when that ruud gullit lookalike said "i've had several glasses of water" :lmao
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 03:57:50 am »
that episode was the best so far, and added BB to its list of 'homages'.  with his magical appearance on the stairs, it's looking more and more likely that mr. robot = tyler durden, which means he probably won't be now.

It definitely is looking that way, but I really hope it's not the case. This show so far deserves a much less lame "twist."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 09:22:27 am »
Episode 6 was quality probably best yet.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2015, 11:23:42 am »
I'm guessing Mr robot is Eliot's father it seems to obvious that there the Same person.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2015, 11:33:58 am »
It definitely is looking that way, but I really hope it's not the case. This show so far deserves a much less lame "twist."

It's looking less like a twist and more like something that we're supposed to know that Elliot doesn't.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2015, 01:41:45 pm »
It's looking less like a twist and more like something that we're supposed to know that Elliot doesn't.

Exactly.

It would be more contrived if they weren't the same person at this point. The twist would be some weird explanation that he's a different person and people just love to pretend he doesn't exist.

They have played with it at times, but we're meant to think of Fight Club. Even if you haven't seen Fight Club there's been numerous heavy-handed and subtle hints that Mr Robot doesn't exist. Not least of all Eliot's confession he's been prone to delusions in the very first episode.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:48:14 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »
I'm guessing Mr robot is Eliot's father it seems to obvious that there the Same person.

It's a good shout. That'd be the 'twist' element, I think.

edit: Can imagine that's how he eventually realises it's a delusion, he sees a picture of his old man or something.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2015, 04:19:54 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #64 on: August 1, 2015, 09:06:59 am »
best episode since the pilot for me....high-tech hokum of the highest order but it's at its best when it plays it as a straight thriller...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 1, 2015, 01:04:27 pm »
best episode since the pilot for me....high-tech hokum of the highest order but it's at its best when it plays it as a straight thriller...

Agreed - this was the first episode for me that was devoid of "rote mid-level TV material." The relative lack of Slater might have had something to do with it, since I still find it difficult to get rid of the image of him in "Breaking In," which was abysmal. The opening, and particularly that last back-and-forth panning shot of Malek looking in the trunk, were brilliant.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: August 1, 2015, 01:39:27 pm »
I was reading this theory earlier.

Spoiler
I noticed that when Mr. Robot interacts with people, Elliot fades into the background and when Elliot is the one talking with people, Mr. Robot is the one that fades. I'm going with the theory that they're two sides of the same person. Meaning whenever Mr. Robot picks things up or talks to people, it's actually Elliot doing it in reality.
[close]
Your theory is gonna make me watch rewatch the episodes again to see if it's right. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #67 on: August 1, 2015, 02:46:00 pm »
The relative lack of Slater might have had something to do with it,

it certainly did for me.....awful bit of casting imo

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 1, 2015, 03:22:33 pm »

I think it's what his father looked like but he is still in Elliot's head.

Spoiler
Was convinced he was going to get caught with that body at the end, he was stood around for way too long next to the site of a police breakout with a corpse in his boot!
[close]

Brilliant episode, easily the best thing on TV right now. I don't want to get too OTT, but this has potential to be a top, top level show as long as it doesn't fall off a cliff in the second season
« Last Edit: August 1, 2015, 03:24:54 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 2, 2015, 02:58:17 am »
The latest episode was outstanding. I don't like to rush to conclusions, but the last TV show that's been as interesting to watch for me was Breaking Bad. It's not at it's level, but some of the tension in the episode was right up there with it.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: August 4, 2015, 09:25:51 pm »
The Scandinavian couple are so fun to watch on screen together,with the plotting etc.

Loving this show.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: August 5, 2015, 01:15:57 am »
it certainly did for me.....awful bit of casting imo

seriously?  he's the very best thing about the show.

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #72 on: August 5, 2015, 11:15:01 pm »
Rami Malek is carrying Slater in this, he's terrible.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: August 6, 2015, 09:01:29 am »
Rami Malek is carrying Slater in this, he's terrible.

wow, that is the exact opposite of what i'm seeing.  that's a few people who've said that now as well.  i'm beginning to wonder if mr. slater and i are the same person.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: August 6, 2015, 04:24:11 pm »
wow, that is the exact opposite of what i'm seeing.  that's a few people who've said that now as well.  i'm beginning to wonder if mr. slater and i are the same person.

;D

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: August 6, 2015, 09:50:26 pm »

Like I said earlier, my opinion of him is colored severely by the last handful of TV shows he's been in, which have been largely awful. Awful enough, in fact, that I basically forgot he was in In the Name of the Rose or True Romance.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #76 on: August 6, 2015, 10:56:13 pm »
Spoiler
Ep 6 -  So no one had any problems with that whole jail breakout scenario? - I was disappointed in some aspects of that episode, from the weak turnabout by the brother when he had his gun to his head and how they decided to kill him outside the jail and leave Shayla there also. Still engrossing and great telly but found that episode underwhelming
[close]
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: August 7, 2015, 03:01:53 am »
I am barely hanging onto this show right now. Awfully boring for me, I just don't fucking care about the characters for whatever reason.

Somehow, the most intriguing character is that Scandinavian guy. I enjoyed the way he fired those 3 guys ;D
I also liked Colby's offer ;D

But the show is a bit of a random mess really. I am not sure if there meant to be an over arching story.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2015, 05:29:32 am by Xxavi »

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: August 7, 2015, 04:30:21 am »
i don't normally subscribe to the idea of a 'filler episode' - but episode 7 was the very definition of that.  lots of morose talking which attempted to hide its melodrama with that overwrought incidental music.

worse, the show seems to have decided that raising the stakes (as the body in the boot undoubtedly did last week) translates to a need to abandon the fun, quirky (fight club rip-off) style of the earlier episodes for 45-minutes of emo.

i notice that when the girl in the hijab was describing all the members of the team, she didn't mention eliot or mr. robot. clunky...

i did like the 'view source' bit though.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #79 on: August 7, 2015, 08:25:56 am »
A couple of important things happened but it had the filler feeling indeed and was from the get go.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.